Software updates for TSX? Would it be possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Robbie D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Software updates for TSX? Would it be possible?

I know alot of the TSX's features such as steering, suspension and engine are controlled by a computer with software written by Acura.

Would it be possible for Acura to release updates (much like those on smartphones) that would address some of the minor annoyances we're having with our cars?

are there any car companies that have done this? I know Ford has their Sync system with Microsoft which will receive software updates. But haven't heard of any companies updating software for drivetrain, steering, etc.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Very unlikely. They might make a change with a new MY, but running updates would 'smell of a recall' and that would not be a good thing.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Very unlikely. They might make a change with a new MY, but running updates would 'smell of a recall' and that would not be a good thing.
Updates are done ALL the time. Car has a rough idle. The manufacturer works on a software fix and releases a flash update to the dealer. Power sliding door on a mini van may reverse too easily. Manufacturer works on a flash update and releases to the dealer. The list is endless. If and when Honda finds the cause of the pinging issue that some TSX's are having,I'm sure it will be a flash update of the PCM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by levistar
Updates are done ALL the time. Car has a rough idle. The manufacturer works on a software fix and releases a flash update to the dealer. Power sliding door on a mini van may reverse too easily. Manufacturer works on a flash update and releases to the dealer. The list is endless. If and when Honda finds the cause of the pinging issue that some TSX's are having,I'm sure it will be a flash update of the PCM.
Sorry, I really rushed my reply. I meant to say that yes, they make running changes all the time for items like you listed. However, they wouldn't make a change to something that they did not perceive as 'broken' mid-cycle. If a change to improve steering feel were made, it would probably be at a MY change so the 'improvement' could be listed as a "new feature".
Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Instructor

software is improved all the time....getting it updated on your car is a whole different story. on my Audi A6, I was able to find the firmware discs online and updated the MMI since a dealer won't do it unless you have a legit issue that would require it. I'm sure someone, somewhere has update discs for Acura as well. Just for bluetooth compatability alone i'm sure the software is upgraded. The problem would be getting your hands on a disc and a how-to.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GrigioX
I'm sure someone, somewhere has update discs for Acura as well. Just for bluetooth compatability alone i'm sure the software is upgraded.
As I understand it, most of the flashes are done with a windows tablet computer which only dealers have. I think the p-rom flashes are downloaded to this directly from Acura. I could be wrong, but I am 99% sure that they don't use discs these days (except maybe for navigation).

Bluetooth shouldn't need any kind of update since the spec is published and Acura follows it. It is up to the device manufacturers to upgrade their devices to adhere to the BT standard. (Palm 600-650 were especially bad on certain carriers).
Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
As I understand it, most of the flashes are done with a windows tablet computer which only dealers have. I think the p-rom flashes are downloaded to this directly from Acura. I could be wrong, but I am 99% sure that they don't use discs these days (except maybe for navigation).

Bluetooth shouldn't need any kind of update since the spec is published and Acura follows it. It is up to the device manufacturers to upgrade their devices to adhere to the BT standard. (Palm 600-650 were especially bad on certain carriers).
You are correct. Chrysler [where I work] does flash updates via eithernet to the car or to a remote scanner,then to the car.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Robbie D.

thanks for all that info. i never really knew you can fix things just by updating software on the vehicle's computer.

hopefully acura will take care of the pinging and steering problems.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by boydanger
steering problems.
I am quite confident that Acura does not perceive a 'problem' with the steering.