Resonator removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Resonator removal

Has anyone tried this on the 09 TSX? It's a good way to get a "deeper" sound when accelerating.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:33 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Yeah, I removed it while at the tint shop. I doubt it does much, but may help some. If one hasn't looked at it, it's just a square-ish cover over the intake tube right next to the DS of the radiator. It just has little plastic screw-plug jobbies holding it on, takes three seconds. It kinda covers up the hole a little too closely, impeding flow by .08 hp, lol.

That with a K&N drop-in would have been worth the $20, but I'm going to hold out hope that CTE comes up with an ICEBOX...AHEM! HELLO?! CTE?

If you stuck a hose in the resulting opening, yes, it would cause problems, other than that...meh.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know anything about cars, but what exactly does the resonator do? And does it do anything if you remove it?
Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Yeah, I removed it while at the tint shop. I doubt it does much, but may help some. If one hasn't looked at it, it's just a square-ish cover over the intake tube right next to the DS of the radiator. It just has little plastic screw-plug jobbies holding it on, takes three seconds. It kinda covers up the hole a little too closely, impeding flow by .08 hp, lol.

That with a K&N drop-in would have been worth the $20, but I'm going to hold out hope that CTE comes up with an ICEBOX...AHEM! HELLO?! CTE?

If you stuck a hose in the resulting opening, yes, it would cause problems, other than that...meh.

um..isnt the resonator part of our exhaust? Well atleast thats what I think hes asking about. Sounds like your talking about the engine, especially if a tint shop could remove it
Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Vancouver B.C.

and if you did straight pipe with no resonator, im sure there would be a deeper tone, dont know if it would sound nice, but it would be deeper..i think
Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not necessarily. The resonators wider parts in the pipe that alter the harmonic characteristics of the exhaust gases as they flow down the pipe. Specifically they are there to break up constructive interference patterns in the gases and smooth out the exhaust sound. You're more likely to get a raspy, rattly sound than anything. Any other exhaust mods will change the natural harmonics as well.

What it comes down to is the result can be unpredictable but if they Honda engineers put a resonator in there, it was probably to remove some obnoxious component of the exhaust sound. They generally do not have a large effect on flow rates as it's just an open piece of pipe.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

The intake resonator is on the drivers side between the bumper and front wheel. If you look below the air box you will see the down tube portion of it leading into the fender well. You need to remove the resonator if you are using a CAI because that's where the filter goes. To remove it you must reomve the front driver wheel and peel back the fender lining to get at all the bolts. What I am talking about has nothing to do with the exhaust system.

I will be removing it and when I do I will take and post photos. I may even attempt it this afternoon.

Last edited by Luchin; 02-05-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

You can also gain access to the resonator by removing the front bumper but I don't know how involved that is.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i did this on my 1G when I was installing my CAI. It wasn't too hard at all. Since it is like 10lb of plastic, i just ripped that sucker off.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Originally Posted by Lou01
The intake resonator is on the drivers side between the bumper and front wheel. If you look below the air box you will see the down tube portion of it leading into the fender well. You need to remove the resonator if you are using a CAI because that's where the filter goes. To remove it you must reomve the front driver wheel and peel back the fender lining to get at all the bolts. What I am talking about has nothing to do with the exhaust system.

I will be removing it and when I do I will take and post photos. I may even attempt it this afternoon.

ohh okay. didnt know removing intake resonator created deeper tone. tell me how it goes man
Old 02-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Drifting

I don't know if deeper is the right way to describe it. It's more like growlier.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LukeaTron
I don't know if deeper is the right way to describe it. It's more like growlier.
lukeatron is right. It's "growlier" when you dig into the throttle. It sounds different with every care though. MY 97 Lude sounded different then my 95 GSR, 95 civic Si, etc.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:21 PM

Geezus I'm an F-Tard, I wasn't thinking exhaust resonator at all, lol. I gotta stop drive-by posting at work.

The air silencer or intake resonator has those appendage-like chambers on the intake ahead of or after the air filter box to combat unwanted air sounds in the system. All I did was remove the little square lid covering the air inlet tube under the hood right behind the driver's side radiator support. I'll post pics if I need to, it's like, right there.

To remove the resonator all together would definitely increase air intake sound.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Drifting

The only problem with doing that is it causes the engine to suck in all the hottest from up at the top of the engine bay. Obviously that little cover thingy isn't air tight or anything but the resonator box does draw air from down behind the bumper.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

The only problem with doing that is it causes the engine to suck in all the hottest from up at the top of the engine bay. Obviously that little cover thingy isn't air tight or anything but the resonator box does draw air from down behind the bumper.
True. But I can't see it sucking in anymore hot air then a SRI would.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Geezus I'm an F-Tard, I wasn't thinking exhaust resonator at all, lol. I gotta stop drive-by posting at work.

The air silencer or intake resonator has those appendage-like chambers on the intake ahead of or after the air filter box to combat unwanted air sounds in the system. All I did was remove the little square lid covering the air inlet tube under the hood right behind the driver's side radiator support. I'll post pics if I need to, it's like, right there.

To remove the resonator all together would definitely increase air intake sound.
Don't post photos for my benefit, I know exactly the piece you are talking about.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Why would it also draw from behind the bumper? Is the under-hood part a vent? I know these things usually do draw from the area behind the bumper, but it looks like this one terminates up top. I guess I'll look at it when I get an intake ya know? I didn't feel like dismantling it just to look at it.

I know about under hood air and all that, but that cover did seem like it was *really* close to the tube and does protect from water, but if you're in that deep...you're in deep poop anyway.

I want to say it made a tiny difference, but I was looking for it, and my butt dyno isn't calibrated to that degree.

I'm bored and I want mods, dammit.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Drifting

That little cover redirects the vacuum from the intake towards the resonator box, which has it's inlet down in the bumper. The cover just sort of sits over that inlet tube and clearly isn't sealed. I assume they do this to get slightly cooler air into the intake but without running the risk of sucking up water. I doubt it makes a huge difference though.

Oh, I'm talking about my experiences with the first gen. I'm assuming the second gen is similar.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou01
True. But I can't see it sucking in anymore hot air then a SRI would.
Which is why short rams are nowhere near as beneficial as a true CAI.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:56 AM

That little cover redirects the vacuum from the intake towards the resonator box, which has it's inlet down in the bumper. The cover just sort of sits over that inlet tube and clearly isn't sealed. I assume they do this to get slightly cooler air into the intake but without running the risk of sucking up water. I doubt it makes a huge difference though.

Oh, I'm talking about my experiences with the first gen. I'm assuming the second gen is similar.
Cool, yeah, so it's a vent, in the event of immersion it will displace any water sucked up from behind the bumper.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I had a look at what was involved in removing the resonator when I first got the car. When I was in there I didn't feel anything around the box that indicated there was an area for airflow.

I'm sure I'm not going to notice the "loss" of performance by the temp being up a few.

Only problem with CAI is that you loose some torque, again probably not enough to notice.