Replace HID Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace HID Bulbs

I got a set of 5000K Morimoto Bulbs for my TSX recently. Last night I tried to replace the oem bulbs with the new set but ran into difficulties.

First, I followed the owners' manual by removing the one screw and one clip from the wheel well area. However, when I tried to peel down the wheel well liner, I can only open up a couple inches of gap for me to barely stick my hand into it, which I don't think I can replace the bulb with blindness (cause I can't see the bulb area from the gap I created). Also, the wheel well liner material is so hard that I'm afraid that I will break it if I pull it down further. Is it because of the cold weather? Will the material be soften if it's under warmer temperature?

With no success in option one, I tried to do it from above. Well, the space is not that great either from above. I started with the passenger side. I could barely twist off the cover, got to the ignitor part. After I twisted off the ignitor, I couldn't put it out of my way cause the wire attached to it is just too short. The ignitor just blocked my way to the bulb clips. So I stopped at this point. I know that the driver side should have a bit more space after I remove the battery, but I didn't try cause I know I will run into the same problem when it comes to the ignitor part.

I know it shouldn't be that hard to replace a bulb cause I've done many many times for halogen bulbs. Could anyone shed some lights for me in this case?
-I need to know if I should work from above (from the hood) or work from the wheel well area.
-How to put that ignitor away so I can get to the bulb area.
-Please feel free to let me know if I've done anything wrong during the process.

Thanks!

Wahboy
Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I still don't understand why people replace their OEM bulbs in the 2nd gen TSX...
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I recently also bought 5000k bulbs, but I ended up keeping the OEM ones in for time being. I ended up going through the hood area so I didnt have to take off my bumper. I did the whole thing blind. Unless you have taken apart the light assembly before(I did when I cleared my headlights) then I would think it would be next to impossible for you to do it blind. I was pretty familiar with it, and it took me some time for me mess around in there and hope i had everything lined up perfectly and put it back together.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ressling
I still don't understand why people replace their OEM bulbs in the 2nd gen TSX...
Trust me the 6000k bulbs look SOOOO MUCH BETTER (valley cheer girl voice)
Old 01-28-2012, 01:32 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
^ but they reduce effectiveness compared to OEM. The TSX has very nice output by the design actually as a whole Acura makes some pretty good projectors. IF i were going to replace new bulbs in a new car, it'd have to be a step up from OEM (lumens, not color) and the best that i've seen is the Osrams CBI's. They have the same brightness as the Philips, maybe even brighter (judging off the 3G TL, not sure if philips are used for the TSX), but they're 5000K. It doesn't get no better than that. Brighter light and a slightly different color. Usually they higher the color temp (i.e. 6000K vs OEM 4300K) the light output is compromised, especially in adverse weather.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im trying to do the same thing to my 2010. anyone that has done this? ive tried the top and from underneath and it looks impossible
Old 07-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by KC0171
Trust me the 6000k bulbs look SOOOO MUCH BETTER (valley cheer girl voice)
But they're switching to 5000k which is essentially the same as oem. I would assume the output isn't as good compared to oem, but I have a set of morimotos myself and they're great. So bringing me back to the post: why are you changing out your oem hids?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
OEMs are 4300K
just saying
just putting it out there
i want everyone to know
the bulbs are 4300K
6000K gay
5000K=/=4300K
4300K all the way!! =)
Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 540 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by PyroDave
OEMs are 4300K
just saying
just putting it out there
i want everyone to know
the bulbs are 4300K
6000K gay
5000K=/=4300K
4300K all the way!! =)
Exactly, I remember being told by a retrofitter that 4300L was stock for cars and it was the closest to natural sunlight. :thumbup:

I have no idea why people put those higher temperature lights in their cars just to create a blue or purple light. I've been in a car like that before (10,000K) and the road wasn't visible at all.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wahboy
I got a set of 5000K Morimoto Bulbs for my TSX recently. Last night I tried to replace the oem bulbs with the new set but ran into difficulties.

First, I followed the owners' manual by removing the one screw and one clip from the wheel well area. However, when I tried to peel down the wheel well liner, I can only open up a couple inches of gap for me to barely stick my hand into it, which I don't think I can replace the bulb with blindness (cause I can't see the bulb area from the gap I created). Also, the wheel well liner material is so hard that I'm afraid that I will break it if I pull it down further. Is it because of the cold weather? Will the material be soften if it's under warmer temperature?

With no success in option one, I tried to do it from above. Well, the space is not that great either from above. I started with the passenger side. I could barely twist off the cover, got to the ignitor part. After I twisted off the ignitor, I couldn't put it out of my way cause the wire attached to it is just too short. The ignitor just blocked my way to the bulb clips. So I stopped at this point. I know that the driver side should have a bit more space after I remove the battery, but I didn't try cause I know I will run into the same problem when it comes to the ignitor part.

I know it shouldn't be that hard to replace a bulb cause I've done many many times for halogen bulbs. Could anyone shed some lights for me in this case?
-I need to know if I should work from above (from the hood) or work from the wheel well area.
-Please feel free to let me know if I've done anything wrong during the process.

Thanks!

Wahboy
I just took my bumper and headlight off and it was a piece of cake. But the "string" that's preventing you from pulling the bulb all the way out is attached to the socket. If you accidentally pull it to hard and it comes off you can just push it back in. At the end there's a thin piece of metal that sit between a clamp on the head. I might have a picture of this, I'll upload it tonight if i can find it.

I also changed mine with a pair of Morimoto 5000k. As for why, well i like the look of pure white then an off white with a hint of yellow.

As for lost in output, I modded my projectors so I have little to no lost in output.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by aznpapaya
I just took my bumper and headlight off and it was a piece of cake. But the "string" that's preventing you from pulling the bulb all the way out is attached to the socket. If you accidentally pull it to hard and it comes off you can just push it back in. At the end there's a thin piece of metal that sit between a clamp on the head. I might have a picture of this, I'll upload it tonight if i can find it.

I also changed mine with a pair of Morimoto 5000k. As for why, well i like the look of pure white then an off white with a hint of yellow.

As for lost in output, I modded my projectors so I have little to no lost in output.
I'm also morimoto 5000k. Good bulb for the money. Not much blue in it either.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts

Sigh.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Sigh.
When ceb sigh, I must be doing something right. So a pad on the back for me
The following users liked this post:
drivedata (11-21-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
I've never seen the morimotos in action before, but if I was to upgrade bulbs on any HID equipped car (2G TSX's are new) it'd be with a higher or equal quality bulb that can put out more light. Osram's CBIs and SVS' fit the bill. OE bulbs ftw!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
ok got the Morimoto's as well - I got the driver's side half out and is hung up with the metal string thing...so how do I get this thing back in the socket?????

HELP
Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wahboy

Thanks!

Wahboy
is this 35 w or 55w bulb. i ordered the 55w bulb and the HID turns off after some time.
thanks
Old 01-31-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts

OP might not get around to answering you... He hasn't logged on since June of 2013.

Sorry.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ressling
I just picked up a 2013 on Saturday and can't get used to the lights. They seem wonderfully bright but there is a sharp cutoff of darkness. Do you recall a learning curve when it comes to getting used to them?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
Originally Posted by donaldmr
I just picked up a 2013 on Saturday and can't get used to the lights. They seem wonderfully bright but there is a sharp cutoff of darkness. Do you recall a learning curve when it comes to getting used to them?
the sharp cutoff is a very sought after characteristic in the headlight world

Maybe swap them out for some halogen headlamps, i'm sure someone here would trade you in a heartbeat
Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thoiboi
the sharp cutoff is a very sought after characteristic in the headlight world

Maybe swap them out for some halogen headlamps, i'm sure someone here would trade you in a heartbeat

You think I'll get used to them then?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
Originally Posted by donaldmr
You think I'll get used to them then?
Well I can't really speak on behalf of you but it's a great feature. HID projectors headlight technology is leaps and bounds above standard halogens and I've done multiple projector retrofits to get away from halogens. The trend is going that way, the light is better focused and brighter.. It's really a win-win.

I'd say get used to it because it's not going anywhere.. after that will be LED and laser technology