remove (some jackhole's) paint from bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remove (some jackhole's) paint from bumper?

Hi all. CBP 2011 here. Got my first bumper scrape and scuff (and I wasn't even in the car to enjoy it).

Right passenger just under headlight at corner from headlight to bottom of plastic bumper now has gouges/scuffs. I know I can't do anything about that. But can I remove the WHITE paint from my black bumper myself? What paint removal product removes added paint, if any?

I'm hoping it's white paint and not my bumper insides. That would be the opposite of all my other cars. On my silver cars (all Euro cars), when I got gouged bumpers, underneath was BLACK. That would have worked in this case (if by chance what looks white is actually my plastic bumper).

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by spyked
Hi all. CBP 2011 here. Got my first bumper scrape and scuff (and I wasn't even in the car to enjoy it).

Right passenger just under headlight at corner from headlight to bottom of plastic bumper now has gouges/scuffs. I know I can't do anything about that. But can I remove the WHITE paint from my black bumper myself? What paint removal product removes added paint, if any?

I'm hoping it's white paint and not my bumper insides. That would be the opposite of all my other cars. On my silver cars (all Euro cars), when I got gouged bumpers, underneath was BLACK. That would have worked in this case (if by chance what looks white is actually my plastic bumper).

Thanks!
I would assume white paint. Try a very light polishing compound followed by a polish and a wax.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
I think KillerG used megiuar's scratch X and got good results. I personally don't like their products but it's cheap and easily available at wal-mart
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by BaoZZeR
I think KillerG used megiuar's scratch X and got good results. I personally don't like their products but it's cheap and easily available at wal-mart
Scratch-X is a light polishing compound.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
I would clay and polish if you have a DA.
If that doesn't work, try some 2000 grit sand paper and detail spray followed by polish
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Without seeing photos, I'd have to agree with (some of) the others. Use a cleaning polish if you have one. Scratch-X by hand with a foam pad or microfiber towel should do. Something like Klasse AIO or Werkstatt Prime by hand or PC is also a good option, and would be my first choice.

I would avoid wetsanding if at all possible. Most of the paint transfers of this nature that I've seen will come off pretty easily with a light compound/polish or chemical cleaner.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I will try Scatch X. I have access to that. Are our bumpers white/gray underneath the paint? Or black?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by animes2k
Without seeing photos, I'd have to agree with (some of) the others. Use a cleaning polish if you have one. Scratch-X by hand with a foam pad or microfiber towel should do. Something like Klasse AIO or Werkstatt Prime by hand or PC is also a good option, and would be my first choice.

I would avoid wetsanding if at all possible. Most of the paint transfers of this nature that I've seen will come off pretty easily with a light compound/polish or chemical cleaner.

ya, wet sanding would be a last resort. sometimes the paint can get in there pretty good. esp if it was a scrape. it almost melts on to the surface of your car.

if you have a DA, i would highly reccomend the nanoskin autoscrub.
that stuff is pretty amazing