rdx or tl for sh-awd? or just plain ol tsx no awd?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rdx or tl for sh-awd? or just plain ol tsx no awd?

i am new to the forum but thought the people in TSX land might have insights: essentially am looking forward to buy an acura (i liked my fiance's cr-v but want a more luxurious vehicle) but deciding which one - these are my criteria in terms of importance:

a) reliability (not all models are created equal right?)
b) safety (does sh-awd really matter?) - live in the snow belt regions
within safety, i presume we can include handling as a subsection...
c) resale value / price (tsx gets the edge here as its cheapest, of course)
d) gas consumption (i guess rdx is bottom of this list!)
e) looks (ok very subjective)

still undecided as of now but looking to make the purchase within the next week or two... for "Value for $" the rdx looks good -- but i may be wrong ... what better way to get more inputs than this... thanks a bunch!

ps. posted this in the rdx threads... am posting it here and in tl to get your views if it's ok...
Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
i have the 09 TSX and my wife has the 08 RDX. we both got these cars since we're having a kid. i like the RDX because of the turbo but that's about it. i love the TSX because of the looks exterior and interior wise. also i get to mod it.

youll get the luxury feel of driving the TSX instead of the RDX. the TSX has a better luxury interior than my wife's 08 RDX. i can't compare it to the 10' RDX interior.

RDX mpg sucks compared to the TSX. 29mpg(TSX) > 17 mpg(RDX)

are you the type of person to mod your car? if so, get a TSX.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Are you selling your CR-V? and if is it your main car (family car)? If so, then I would say RDX since I always find it in my family that we have a SUV (my family has a Venza and a H3 lol), but if this is your car I would say TSX or TL. I never lived where it snowed and I dont know if its important to have AWD, I would assume it would help. It's all in preference. mileage- TSX would win. safety and reliabilty-well acura's are pretty safe.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

excellent! got my answer... yes, selling fiance's cr-v (in fact sold it already)... first car that we both buy together... this time the woman wins (or maybe everytime LOL)... cheers!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't touch the RDX with someone else's money. TL-SH AWD if AWD is important. My mother in law has an RDX and the power delivery is horrible. So is the gas mileage. I hated driving the RDX, my wife hated driving it, even people I know who work at two different Acura dealers say the same about the RDX.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It comes down to this, 7 to 10 times a year you will say, boy I'm glad I got the AWD! Is it worth the extra cost for you? The other 1000 times you will drive the car that year, not so much. If you drive well it's not life or death, it's just more traction.

If you were thinking about a RWD car that would be a lot more compelling argument.
My wife has the new TL with AWD and it is very nice car.

Last edited by cyberbro; 02-25-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stockpicker1102
a) reliability (not all models are created equal right?)
Acura overall is very reliable. There is not a wide range in reliability between Acura models according to Consumer Reports, because of this, focus on getting the model you want to drive.

b) safety (does sh-awd really matter?) - live in the snow belt regions
within safety, i presume we can include handling as a subsection...
AWD does not make the car safer. AWD only gives car increased traction in slippery conditions. So the car will go in snow when you accelerate--the tires will not spin and slip. Even in dry conditions AWD increases traction--that's all. 2WD with snow tires accomplishes the same thing for the most part. AWD does generally hurt performance (heavier car) and decreases reliability (more parts to break). Although Acura AWD has proved very reliable. AWD is good, but I wouldn't base car purchase decision on it unless you live in a remote area with mud and snow etc.

c) resale value / price (tsx gets the edge here as its cheapest, of course)
TSX was only luxury car (from any automaker) to make Consumer Reports "Lowest Cost of Ownership List"

d) gas consumption (i guess rdx is bottom of this list!)
TSX is best choice here. gets best gas mileage (I4) and you have the option of using Regular (although not recommended).

The TSX is the best choice based on your criteria. If you wanted more power or a larger car go TL. If more storage room and a higher driving position, go SUV.