Purchased iTunes music and display on Tech screen.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Purchased iTunes music and display on Tech screen.

When I transfer music that I've purchased on iTunes onto a USB stick the display on my screen reads like this:

1. 01 Africa
2 ._01 Africa

When I select 1 01 Africa it plays fine but when I select 2 ._01 Africa it automatically goes to the next track. So the 2 ._01 Africa seems redundant.

Anyone have any insight?

If my description of the Nav screen is not clear I am happy to take a photo and post it. This only seems to happen with music purchased from iTunes. Stuff I download from LimeWire is fine. Why not just download from LimeWire you ask? Because I'm trying to do the 'right' thing by supporting the artist and .99 cents for a song is not a bad deal.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I can't believe you use LimeWire...

Anyways, I don't have this issue but I don't play my music from a USB flash drive, I play it directly off my 3G S and it displays normally. Must be a formatting issue between iTunes and your drive.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DerwoodEE

Anyways, I don't have this issue but I don't play my music from a USB flash drive, I play it directly off my 3G S and it displays normally. Must be a formatting issue between iTunes and your drive.
Any suggestions on what I should be using? What do you use?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

You don't have a Tech so the display is completely different in your car vs mine.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you said you're transferring to the USB stick, do you mean you are only copying the actual mp3 over? I don't think the car plays AAC or mp4.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by katmai
When you said you're transferring to the USB stick, do you mean you are only copying the actual mp3 over? I don't think the car plays AAC or mp4.
Yes. Drag and drop.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Racer

Didn't know the system can play AAC files? Anyways, the "duplicate" files that start with a ._ are hidden in OS X but Windows and other OSes see them. They are resource fork files used by OS X.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chibianh
Didn't know the system can play AAC files? Anyways, the "duplicate" files that start with a ._ are hidden in OS X but Windows and other OSes see them. They are resource fork files used by OS X.
No they are not AAC but the Tech does play AAC files. I convert them to MP3 using iTunes. That said, is AAC better quality?

So what you are saying is that I am stuck with the ._file as well?!?

Thanks for everyones help.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou01
Any suggestions on what I should be using? What do you use?
I wouldn't use LimeWire that's for sure. That thing is loaded with viruses.

If I don't buy it direct from iTunes, I get it from a torrent. However I've gotten away from stealing music as much as I use to and prefer to just buy most my music off iTunes these days.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lou01
No they are not AAC but the Tech does play AAC files. I convert them to MP3 using iTunes. That said, is AAC better quality?

So what you are saying is that I am stuck with the ._file as well?!?

Thanks for everyones help.
AAC is just Apple's format. THEY think its better. Mp3 is just fine.

If you're using a mac to do all this stuff, then you probably are stuck with it. Mac adds extra files to a folder that you normally can't see under a mac os, but windows or any place else that lets you see ALL the files...well you'll see it. Thats one thing I hate about macs. I have a macbook pro but I'm always deleting those hidden files in windows when I don't need or want them. If you have a windows computer, go take a look and see if those ._file files are on there. If they are just delete them. When you plug it back into your mac tho, some of them will come back and you'll have to delete them again.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Well, see, if the flux capacitor is not jim jamming with the frotz, the Leeroy Jenkins school of wootery would most certainly dictate the web synergy to be rectal linguistics.

HD, bored tech tard.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Racer

AAC is not Apple's format. It's a standard from the same people who brought you the MP3 standard and is part of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specs. Most people only associate AAC with Apple because Apple widely uses it.

AAC was designed to sound better when compared to an MP3 compressed at the same bit rate.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're using a mac to do all this stuff, then you probably are stuck with it. Mac adds extra files to a folder that you normally can't see under a mac os, but windows or any place else that lets you see ALL the files...well you'll see it. Thats one thing I hate about macs. I have a macbook pro but I'm always deleting those hidden files in windows when I don't need or want them. If you have a windows computer, go take a look and see if those ._file files are on there. If they are just delete them. When you plug it back into your mac tho, some of them will come back and you'll have to delete them again.
I did just that. Once I plugged the USB stick into my PC I was able to see and delete the hidden files as recommended by chibianh.

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
Well, see, if the flux capacitor is not jim jamming with the frotz, the Leeroy Jenkins school of wootery would most certainly dictate the web synergy to be rectal linguistics.

HD, bored tech tard.
WTF?!?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't use LimeWire that's for sure. That thing is loaded with viruses.

If I don't buy it direct from iTunes, I get it from a torrent. However I've gotten away from stealing music as much as I use to and prefer to just buy most my music off iTunes these days.
I am aware of the Virus risk with LimeWire. I do scan my files with an AV program and that said I know it's not fool proof either. Now that I know the work around for the hidden files it's back to iTunes for me.

Thanks again to all for your help.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by chibianh
AAC is not Apple's format. It's a standard from the same people who brought you the MP3 standard and is part of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specs. Most people only associate AAC with Apple because Apple widely uses it.

AAC was designed to sound better when compared to an MP3 compressed at the same bit rate.
Thanks I stand corrected
Old 08-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by HeavyDuty

HD, bored tech tard.
Thats awesome
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Racer

removing those resource fork files shouldn't have any adverse affects. I didn't know we can play AACs on a USB stick.. learn something new here every day.