Prediction of ILX MSRP and what will the 3rd gen TSX be like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Prediction of ILX MSRP and what will the 3rd gen TSX be like?

Currently, the ILX's closest cousin is the Honda Civic (still kinda shudder a little), and we were told that the ILX will cost "well under 30K". I haven't seen any predictions about where each model will cost, so here are my guesses.

The current closest 2012 Civic equivalents right now are these.

ILX 2.0 - Civic EX-L which costs $21,955, nav is $23,455
ILX 2.4 performance - Civic Si Sedan which costs $22,405, Nav is $23,905 (no leather)
ILX Hybrid - Civic Hybrid with Leather which is $25,250, and Nav is 26,750

If I had to guess what the ILX will cost, here is my guesses:

ILX 2.0 - $24K, ILX 2.0 Tech - $27K
ILX 2.4 - $27K, ILX 2.4 Tech - $30K
ILX Hybrid - $28K, ILX Hybrid Tech - $32K

Just wanted to see who agrees or disagrees with these educated guesses at prices. this is with the assumption that the ILX base will cost about 8% more than the Civic base, while the ILX techs will cost 18-20% more than the Civic counterparts with Nav. I get why the tech version will cost more, in part because of the ELS Surround system, the adaptive GPS temp function, the higher resolution nav. If you get an ILX, would these MSRP's look appropriate or should it be lower?

I think the TSX (Acura indicated that it will), becomes solely a V6 sedan, and perhaps a hybrid option too so it could average 30 mpg total. I don't see the 4 cylinder version staying to be honest. It looks like Acura wants the TSX V6 in the high 30K's, then the TL's in the low to mid 40K's, and they gotta do something BIG with the RL...
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I guess we'll know soon, but I'm thinking those numbers are a little high. I think the problem that will limit how much Acura can get for these cars is the power train. Nothing exciting there. Sure they can get a little more for the better styling and features over the Civic, but I think Acura will find there is a limit to that. Could be wrong, we'll see.

Now when gas goes to $5/gal this summer, people may be willing to pay for a nice looking hybrid that isn't butt ugly. But still the ILX Hybrid's FE is not that great for a hybrid. Mediocre hybrids don't sell well (accord hybrid, HS250) to put up with the costs and the subpar performance there needs to be that FE payoff and the ILX Hybrid doesn't give it.

I'm also hoping the new TSX-TL will offer a base car that is not too different in cost from the current TSX, so the ILX can't get too close to that.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I guess we'll know soon, but I'm thinking those numbers are a little high. I think the problem that will limit how much Acura can get for these cars is the power train. Nothing exciting there. Sure they can get a little more for the better styling and features over the Civic, but I think Acura will find there is a limit to that. Could be wrong, we'll see.

Now when gas goes to $5/gal this summer, people may be willing to pay for a nice looking hybrid that isn't butt ugly. But still the ILX Hybrid's FE is not that great for a hybrid. Mediocre hybrids don't sell well (accord hybrid, HS250) to put up with the costs and the subpar performance there needs to be that FE payoff and the ILX Hybrid doesn't give it.

I'm also hoping the new TSX-TL will offer a base car that is not too different in cost from the current TSX, so the ILX can't get too close to that.
I agree with your point that a mediocre hybrid won't sell well. Lexus axed the HS and is only selling the CT after this year, but the HS is a much more powerful car too. I hate the look of the Prius, but would consider it only because of the killer fuel economy, which I am strongly looking at for my next car. In fact I am considering it, maybe a used one though, but I digress.

I hope your $5/gallon gas prediction doesn't come true this summer. Given that it's an election year hopefully prices will go down because that's what's happened in the last two cycles.

Whenever the ILX does come out though, I hope the hybrid technology is at least half decent which is why I don't want to buy one right away considering the Civic fiasco. I personally also hope the ILX prices are lower than what I posted so the price won't overlap much into TSX territory. I think the hybrid ILX tech will still be more expensive than a base TSX either way though speculating won't do much until the real numbers are out.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Dont go crazy speculating, we'll learn alot in the few coming months, I dont think Acura even knows what the future holds for the TSX at this point.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
If you look at the mileage figures, it's actually cheaper / smarter to buy a base 2.0 and get more power, than to get the hybrid, be slow, and receive a marginal increase in fe
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Cruisin'

Over the years that I've owned Honda/Acura vehicles, I've learned that the MSRP has a lot to do with whatever the consumer is willing to pay.

North of the border we can see huge swings in pricing variances between USA and Canada. I've seen less than a 10% difference on an Acura TL when we were paying over 30¢ on the dollar, and I've seen more than a 55% premium on some Honda vehicles when the dollar was at par. It just doesn't make any sense.

That being said, I don't think we can just add 8% to the cost of the Civic as an accurate measurement. Marketing comes into play as does Acura's desire/need to attract a new generation of consumers.

Traditionally an entry level vehicle can be optioned all the way up to the same base price of the next vehicle up. Acura needs to appeal to a new generation of consumers and will place their emphasis on an attractive price, fuel efficiency, slightly more luxurious, high tech and sportiness. Acura will strive to do many things well without compromising the vehicle design or brand name. The Acura Brand will not be a top of the line high end luxury vehicle and will not be a flat out nose bleeding sports car (with the possible exception of the NSX).

I don't think Acura will drop the I4 in the new TLX. However based on Acura's decision to offer three different 4 cyl. engines for the ILX, Acura could surprise us and offer three different 6 cyl. engines for the new TLX (possibly a 3.2 V6 hybrid).

Acura needs to determine what consumers are willing to pay for - and then build a vehicle in that price range that meets or exceeds the consumer's expectations and wants and needs. My guess is that pricing for the ILX might start around 22k or 23k and be dressed up to the low 30's. Pricing on the new TLX might start around 32k or 33k and be dressed up to the low 40's.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by 98 Canuck
Over the years that I've owned Honda/Acura vehicles, I've learned that the MSRP has a lot to do with whatever the consumer is willing to pay.

North of the border we can see huge swings in pricing variances between USA and Canada. I've seen less than a 10% difference on an Acura TL when we were paying over 30¢ on the dollar, and I've seen more than a 55% premium on some Honda vehicles when the dollar was at par. It just doesn't make any sense.

That being said, I don't think we can just add 8% to the cost of the Civic as an accurate measurement. Marketing comes into play as does Acura's desire/need to attract a new generation of consumers.

Traditionally an entry level vehicle can be optioned all the way up to the same base price of the next vehicle up. Acura needs to appeal to a new generation of consumers and will place their emphasis on an attractive price, fuel efficiency, slightly more luxurious, high tech and sportiness. Acura will strive to do many things well without compromising the vehicle design or brand name. The Acura Brand will not be a top of the line high end luxury vehicle and will not be a flat out nose bleeding sports car (with the possible exception of the NSX).

I don't think Acura will drop the I4 in the new TLX. However based on Acura's decision to offer three different 4 cyl. engines for the ILX, Acura could surprise us and offer three different 6 cyl. engines for the new TLX (possibly a 3.2 V6 hybrid).

Acura needs to determine what consumers are willing to pay for - and then build a vehicle in that price range that meets or exceeds the consumer's expectations and wants and needs. My guess is that pricing for the ILX might start around 22k or 23k and be dressed up to the low 30's. Pricing on the new TLX might start around 32k or 33k and be dressed up to the low 40's.
I wonder when they'll introduce / begin talking about the new tlx...Id rather get that thing than downgrade to a ilx.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't want to give any false information but a sales rep. at my dealer (Tisher Acura in Laurel, Maryland) told me they were completely getting rid of the TSX after the ILX comes out. This is when I went in for service earlier this month. But, it could have been some weird sales tactic she was trying to play?

Last edited by blutsx; 02-16-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by blutsx
I don't want to give any false information but a sales rep. at my dealer (Tisher Acura in Laurel, Maryland) told me they were completely getting rid of the TSX after the ILX comes out. This is when I went in for service earlier this month. But, it could have been some weird sales tactic she was trying to play?
You do realize that people on forums generally have more information that sales advisors.

In general, sales advisors are clueless about the product they sell and will tell you anything they think you want to hear if they think that it will help them make the sale.

I don't believe that Acura has fixed plans for the 2013 lineup at this time so anything you hear at the dealer or on a forum is pure conjecture.

I would venture a guess that the dumbest forum member knows more about Acura plans han the most knowledgeable sales person.

I was told that the only difference between the 2011 and the 2012 TSX is that the 2012 was all wheel drive.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Im predicting that the ILX will cost literally thousands of dollars given the current GDP and stock market availability frequency.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:53 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
Dont go crazy speculating, we'll learn alot in the few coming months, I dont think Acura even knows what the future holds for the TSX at this point.
This.

Originally Posted by blutsx
Sounds more like a sales tactic.

Originally Posted by ceb
You do realize that people on forums generally have more information that sales advisors.

In general, sales advisors are clueless about the product they sell and will tell you anything they think you want to hear if they think that it will help them make the sale.

I don't believe that Acura has fixed plans for the 2013 lineup at this time so anything you hear at the dealer or on a forum is pure conjecture.

I would venture a guess that the dumbest forum member knows more about Acura plans han the most knowledgeable sales person.

I was told that the only difference between the 2011 and the 2012 TSX is that the 2012 was all wheel drive.
Ceb is on point.

When the ILX was first introduced, Honda said there wasn't any plans to just DUMP the TSX right away, they have to see how this will work in the following yr with 4 sedans. I'm sorta hoping they go with a 4 car lineup like BMW & Audi, though that may not be a wise business move at all, since Acura lacks the prestige-ness compared to the German makes. I myself is trying to figure out why they introduced the TSX-SE this yr instead of next yr. Doesn't go with Honda's 5 yr cycle, but then again they could actually have 2 yrs of the SE (this yr and 2013MY) and actually add the tech pkg next yr. I'm almost sure there'll be a TSX next yr, probably w/ or w/out the SE version with tech. ILX is definitely not a bad looking car, and at least you can get it with the 2.4 w/ a 6spd.

I'ma take a guess myself and say it'll start around $4-26k. That's a couple grand lower than the invoice of the tsx and a couple more of the price of an Si. That's a nice slot. It should bring in more younger buyers, especially if its equipped similar to the TSX. HIDs should be standard too. That should keep them more in the affordable/smart luxury for the ILX with the rest of the lineup. That'll draw a good amount of people from the Accord, Camry, Altima route. I'm sure some from Kia/Hyundai too.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Acura sold the CSX (which the ILX effectively replaces) up here in Canada for $24k base and almost $26k for the tech (navi) model.

I could see them bumping the price by a few hundred or so...maybe $24-25k for the base and $27k for the tech. I would imagine they'd drop the price of the 2.4 version relative to the TSX so maybe $28k and $31k?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
Acura sold the CSX (which the ILX effectively replaces) up here in Canada for $24k base and almost $26k for the tech (navi) model.

I could see them bumping the price by a few hundred or so...maybe $24-25k for the base and $27k for the tech. I would imagine they'd drop the price of the 2.4 version relative to the TSX so maybe $28k and $31k?
That's what I was thinking. We'll find out this Spring anyway.

Just realized I made a mistake in my post. I mean $24-26K. Not $4-26K.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I agree with the $24k ballpark for base. I've given this topic some thought before and feel like if the price points of the ILX and TSX are not differentiated enough then Acura will have to get rid of the TSX as fast as they can. If the hybrid option is really all the ILX has over the TSX then that's weak sauce.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by On The Run
I agree with the $24k ballpark for base. I've given this topic some thought before and feel like if the price points of the ILX and TSX are not differentiated enough then Acura will have to get rid of the TSX as fast as they can. If the hybrid option is really all the ILX has over the TSX then that's weak sauce.
Sorta like how the TSX is cannibalizing the TL and TL doing the same to the RL. I say move the TL further upmarket, as well as the RL, let the TSX dominate the $30-40K and the ILX $24-28K. But they'll prolly drop the TSX after the 2013MY. I know they're going to see how the ILX/TSX sell together this yr and next first. TSX may go away this generation, but not this yr.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Instructor

I read some where they will discontinue TSX and bring back the RSX. The TL will become bit smaller since its now almost the size of RL.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM
David_Dude

Either way we won't get much details on anything. Honda is so secretive on their plans, it'd be easier to break into Ft. Knox. 2013-14 will be a changing point for sure, but will it be in the right direction? Sales will tell. ILX seems like it'll sell well, especially if it gets the features I'm assuming it'll have, especially at the lower price point of the TSX. We'll see soon enough.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like many of us agree the car will start a little under 25, but the 1 million dollar question appears to be how much will the tech versions cost and will the hybrid perhaps be too expensive considering it won't produce fuel economy like the prius will.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by dcdriver
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like many of us agree the car will start a little under 25, but the 1 million dollar question appears to be how much will the tech versions cost and will the hybrid perhaps be too expensive considering it won't produce fuel economy like the prius will.
I'd say the tech would cost around $26K and the hybrid $28K or just under $30K. A big guess.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
and the hybrid $28K or just under $30K. A big guess.
Not a bad guess though, I was thinking that the ILX Hybrid will basically be up against the Lexus CT 200. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to which models are available in hybrid trim so I'm not sure which cars I consider to be primarily gasoline based also come in hybrid trim.

All I know is Infiniti doesn't offer a small hybrid and Lexus has the CT starting at around $30k and the HS starts at $37k when in fact it should be cheaper than the CT (IMO).

So if Acura manages to get the hybrid in under $30k they will do well with it, IMO. I mean, for those 1,600 people shopping for a small luxury hybrid they should be able to scoop up about 7-800 of them.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
i think it'll be approximately between $1 and $100,000. im pretty sure of it actually, im willing to bet money that i am right.

whats the point of guessing prices when we'll know likely by the NY auto show
The following users liked this post:
VortexBlueTSX (03-09-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Not a bad guess though, I was thinking that the ILX Hybrid will basically be up against the Lexus CT 200. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to which models are available in hybrid trim so I'm not sure which cars I consider to be primarily gasoline based also come in hybrid trim.

All I know is Infiniti doesn't offer a small hybrid and Lexus has the CT starting at around $30k and the HS starts at $37k when in fact it should be cheaper than the CT (IMO).

So if Acura manages to get the hybrid in under $30k they will do well with it, IMO. I mean, for those 1,600 people shopping for a small luxury hybrid they should be able to scoop up about 7-800 of them.
I'll admit and say that I'm in the market for such a car. But I think the version with tech will be above 30 given the CT's pricing.

Apparently there are three packages for each sedan....

1. A base (no premium sound, no multidisc CD, no HID lights, no leather?)
2. A premium package (basically a base right now)
3. Tech (no difference)

If Acura really gives a car without leather, I assume it will cost 1 G less than the prices I list here, but why buy an Acura without leather, HID lights, or premium sound whatsoever?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
i love how everyone is making conjectures based on what? the only thing acura's said in terms of pricing is "well below 30k". i don't even think they announced what each trim will have...only the engine size and that each one will have the option for tech/navi. i don't know about you guys but i'm with pyrodave on this...between $1 and $100k although i'll narrow it down a bit more than him...and say between $10 and $100k. booyah dave.

basically...there's no point in guessing unless everyone who's wagered a guess is frantically saving money to buy an ILX the minute it hits the sales floor. and generally speaking, adding a tech package to an acura tacks on about 2k so just decide whether or not you think the tech package is worth 2k and wait for the actual prices to come out.

Last edited by mrstak; 02-17-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
I really wish the ILX stuff gets its own forum or at least a sub-forum.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:41 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

The CT200h gets real-world gas mileage between 40-45 mpg. Honda hybrids don't really have a great track record. I drove the CT when it first came out. The car is smaller than it appears. Has a very nice interior, very quiet and actually sporty ride, but acceleration is painful! It can barely get out of its own way. But that is the price you pay for the FE. I didn't try the sport mode. The HS was supposed to end sales in the US in 2012. There may be a few still left but that model is going away in the US due to poor sales.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
More info is on Acura's site about the ILX and with a Spring release, all of the info will have to be released soon. I have a feeling the TSX will be going away, unfortunately, but don't count on that knowledge being known until the last minute...it would be very stupid for Acura to announce that too early and risk killing the sales of what is left on the lots, and also possibly driving down the value of used TSXs.

I can't see the ILX being too expensive, as you can clearly see all of the cost-cutting measures being taken with the interior:

http://www.acura.com/future/ILX#4
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ESHBG
More info is on Acura's site about the ILX and with a Spring release, all of the info will have to be released soon. I have a feeling the TSX will be going away, unfortunately, but don't count on that knowledge being known until the last minute...it would be very stupid for Acura to announce that too early and risk killing the sales of what is left on the lots, and also possibly driving down the value of used TSXs.

I can't see the ILX being too expensive, as you can clearly see all of the cost-cutting measures being taken with the interior:

http://www.acura.com/future/ILX#4
I'm thinking that the cost cutting measures (such as not fully leather seats and no premium audio on the base which I forgot to add in my original post) won't necessarily mean that the tech and the premium models (the models most of us will likely want at least right now) will be much below the TSX/TLX depending on the long term fate of the current car.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PyroDave
i think it'll be approximately between $1 and $100,000. im pretty sure of it actually, im willing to bet money that i am right.

whats the point of guessing prices when we'll know likely by the NY auto show
I'll narrow that awfully wide gap. It'll be more that $2 and less that $99000.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ceb

Someone on another forum called a Subaru dealer about the Subaru BRZ. Salesman thought they were asking about the ZDX and tried to sell him a Tribeca.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrstak
i love how everyone is making conjectures based on what? the only thing acura's said in terms of pricing is "well below 30k".
You basically summed up the OP. Relax, we're just having a bit of fun. Think of it as speculating the outcome of the super bowl or something.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
David_Dude

You basically summed up the OP. Relax, we're just having a bit of fun. Think of it as speculating the outcome of the super bowl or something.
Yeah I love the speculation. I wish I knew the exact date acura will release the info. Spring 2012 is a broad answer.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
what you guys think paint has the same shine or they are using lower quality paint on Acura.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
all i know is that honda has cleared headlights
Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by PyroDave
all i know is that honda has cleared headlights
I noticed that too. To me the paint on both cars look equally good. Not sure if they're using lower-quality paint. It's also a known fact that Honda's paint isn't the best really. Thin.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Instructor

From those pictures, yeah it looks like the Honda is shinier but you can't really gauge the true difference from two different pictures from two different cameras / locales / time of day / yadda yadda...

Using logic alone - since the Euro Accord and the TSX are the same car made in the same factory I would venture to guess the paint is the same.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 222 Likes on 205 Posts
this thread should get moved to ILX section hahaha
Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Safety Car

From those pictures, yeah it looks like the Honda is shinier but you can't really gauge the true difference from two different pictures from two different cameras / locales / time of day / yadda yadda...

Using logic alone - since the Euro Accord and the TSX are the same car made in the same factory I would venture to guess the paint is the same.
I know cameras can be different. but have u seen this much shine in any Acura black paint vehicle like TL/RL/MDX in similar low light conditions like Ireland/UK etc?

Factories are same but in EU. they charge extra 500 Euros for the paint. and this 2012 Euro Accord Type-S is considerable upgrade. with the most powerful honda diesel and specially tuned sport suspension. that is as good as Torque vectroing Volvo.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
I noticed that too. To me the paint on both cars look equally good. Not sure if they're using lower-quality paint. It's also a known fact that Honda's paint isn't the best really. Thin.

Two different cars in two different countries. It is well known that US dealers are incapable of properly prepping a car. I could fix that Acura to the point that the Honda looks like a clunker by comparison.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by tobwac
this thread should get moved to ILX section hahaha
Noooo not yet...

Originally Posted by ceb
Two different cars in two different countries. It is well known that US dealers are incapable of properly prepping a car. I could fix that Acura to the point that the Honda looks like a clunker by comparison.
You'll be amazed how many people don't know how to actually detail a car (wax/buff/polish etc.)
Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Safety Car

I dont think dealers in EU are better in preparing cars. they have small dealerships with cars park outside.
here is another one. No sunroof but tinted glass, front washer and sensor.
you can clearly see inside the red civic but not type s

Quick Reply: Prediction of ILX MSRP and what will the 3rd gen TSX be like?