Plasti-dip Chrome Trim Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Plasti-dip Chrome Trim Question

I want to plasti-dip the chrome window trim because I simply don't like chrome. I watched a few youtube videos on how to do it and it seems simple (I also did part of my grill and the back chrome strip already). However, this is more complicated with the rubber lining on the window and all the tape and precision involved in making sure every thing lines up nicely with curved chrome.

2 Questions:

Any safe way to just remove the chrome trim, paint it and put it back on the the car?

Also, on average what do you think a shop will charge to plasti-dip the window trim in case I just feel like not dealing with this?

I of course could just do it on a day where I have all day to be as precise as possible, but just wondering if any of you would have any input.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Yes, you'll have to tape everything following the curves of the trim. If I remember correctly there is a small gap between the chrome and rubber you can shove the tape in if you grab it with your fingernail. You'll also need to cover a decent amount beyond the tape because plastidip overspray is pretty annoying to deal with (I know from experience).

I vinyl wrapped mine a few years ago with matte black and ended up not liking the look.It looked about the same as plastidip and I felt it cheapened the look of the car. I also hate chrome but it looks better in my opinion than a black rubber looking trim. Gloss black may look better if you end up going the vinyl route.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:58 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I would do vinyl instead. Dip is going to be hard to clean up if you accidentally overspray into a tight crevice.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you use vinyl, I recommend color matching if possible or gloss black.

Plasti dip always comes out matte black so if you are going to the trouble of vinyl, might as well make it stand out.

(or carbon fibre look).
Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
DO NOT plasti-dip... go the vinyl route and do gloss black... trust me.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Alright, so how much vinyl would you recommend I buy? I went over to amazon and they are sold in big sheets. Was hoping for skinnier sheets specific for window trim.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
I'm with everyone else on the do not plastidip it bandwagon. I have used plastidip a few times (the last time being my MDX elite wheels and grille) and it NEVER turns out right. Or a better way to say that is that even when it does turn out right, it's just not "right" still.

Also even though I watched plenty of youtube videos showing it being super easy to remove it and they simply have to just pull and it comes off in this magical sheet, it doesn't do that. I made sure and literally sprayed 8 coatings (3-4 dark and 3-4 gloss) and it still came off in pieces except on the wheels face where it did come off in larger pieces but still pieces nonetheless. So after that last experience, I will never plastidip again and instead vinyl all the way.

I have to admit though that I don't know how easy it would be to wrap something like the window trim while it is still on the car and wheels....not even going to attempt that.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I'm with everyone else on the do not plastidip it bandwagon. I have used plastidip a few times (the last time being my MDX elite wheels and grille) and it NEVER turns out right. Or a better way to say that is that even when it does turn out right, it's just not "right" still.

Also even though I watched plenty of youtube videos showing it being super easy to remove it and they simply have to just pull and it comes off in this magical sheet, it doesn't do that. I made sure and literally sprayed 8 coatings (3-4 dark and 3-4 gloss) and it still came off in pieces except on the wheels face where it did come off in larger pieces but still pieces nonetheless. So after that last experience, I will never plastidip again and instead vinyl all the way.

I have to admit though that I don't know how easy it would be to wrap something like the window trim while it is still on the car and wheels....not even going to attempt that.
It's really not bad to wrap it. Just cut the vinyl in like 1.5" strips (or whatever the trim width is + ~0.5"). You can tuck the excess width into the rubber portion on either side with anything thin and hard plastic. Run an xacto knife in the rubber fold if you have too much excess on the sides.

It'll probably take a few hours but it's not difficult.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by opboarding
It's really not bad to wrap it. Just cut the vinyl in like 1.5" strips (or whatever the trim width is + ~0.5"). You can tuck the excess width into the rubber portion on either side with anything thin and hard plastic. Run an xacto knife in the rubber fold if you have too much excess on the sides.

It'll probably take a few hours but it's not difficult.
Hey thanks man! I guess I'm just somewhat intimidated by it, then again I was also really intimidated with plastidip and that went on WAY easier than I thought it would. I own a 2012 Black Kia Sorento SX and it has a few chrome pieces like the window sill, door handles and wheels. The roof rails and front/rear skid plates are satin silver. I want to wrap everything that is silver or chrome black, probably can do everything except for the wheels, way too curvy, might just get those powder coated gloss black instead.

But anyways thanks again man.