Penalty for lowering a leased car

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
Penalty for lowering a leased car

I just got a 09 TSX AT and I still have the bug to mod it. How much would the penalty be if I were to put coilovers or springs? I intend to purchase it after 3 years.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never leased a car, but I was under the impression that there is no penalty if you buy it out at the end. If you decide you would rather turn it in at the end of the term, you can always put it back to stock if you keep the parts, then there's no penalty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Moderator

And welcome to the site. Make sure you sign in here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/2nd-gen-tsx-owner-sign-678121/
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I've never leased a car, but I was under the impression that there is no penalty if you buy it out at the end. If you decide you would rather turn it in at the end of the term, you can always put it back to stock if you keep the parts, then there's no penalty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I want to drop the car, add rims, and a full body kit and can take them off and put it all back to stock at the end of the lease term. If I do buy it, then it's fine as well.

Anyone have any experience with modding a leased car?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i once leased a car and modded it. if you put it back to stock after the lease and turn it in, you're fine and you won't be penalized. if you're going to buy it out, then you can do whatever you want to it. i ended up buying it out after the lease and sold it a year after that
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
And welcome to the site. Make sure you sign in here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678121
That sign-in is for purchased vehicles. I have a lease.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by defconskylude
That sign-in is for purchased vehicles. I have a lease.
Same thing, dude. Just put a note that you leased it. The idea of the thread is so people looking to buy/lease can see what others are paying.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sign in as a TSX owner/leaser anyways. I always wondered this is well. If you take in the car for maintenance or something to the dealer, will they keep track that the car was lowered or other things and hold it against you even if you replace stock parts?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cmasterchoe
Sign in as a TSX owner/leaser anyways. I always wondered this is well. If you take in the car for maintenance or something to the dealer, will they keep track that the car was lowered or other things and hold it against you even if you replace stock parts?
Probably not. The leasing company has little contact with service. Follow you scheduled maintenance, put the car back to stock when you're done, and you should be fine. Edited to add: if you are really concerned, read the fine print on your lease contract to be safe.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Drifting

I found this article. I'll ask the sales manager.

http://www.ridewithg.com/index.php/2...eased-vehicle/

Can You Mod a Leased Vehicle?

June 20th, 2008 by G
Can You Mod a Leased Vehicle?
The short answer to that question is “YES”. Leasing is like “Rent-To-Own”, so if you decide to make expensive modifications to your leased vehicle and would consider purchasing your car at lease-end (or before that), mod away.

If you decide to return the vehicle at lease-end, you must return the vehicle to “factory condition”. Not to say the dealer will penalize your putting a new intake and exhaust system into your leased vehicle (as long as its installed properly), but they certainly won’t pay you back for all the money you spent modifying it.. The lesson here is to modify with caution and make sure your modifications (if very expensive) can be easily removed without damaging the vehicle.
Does modifying your car automatically void your warranty?
The quick answer is “NO”. However, you need to understand that if your vehicle is damaged due to the modification you made, the manufacturer CAN and WILL (if they can prove the modification was the cause) void your warranty. Again, performance modifications should be down with caution regardless of whether you lease or own.
The safest modifications are typically the “visual” ones, like new rims and tint. Performance modifications can be risky, so only do so if you will consider keeping the car after the lease matures or have the money to make the necessary repairs if something catastrophic happens.
Use common sense when you modify a leased vehicle. I would recommend making sure nothing expensive is “permanent” if you plan on returning the car in the end. Also note that if you do make exterior modifications, do them “tastefully” or there could be some penalties/fees.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
this thread is great as I have so many concerns about modding my leased car. I have an exhaust on right now, do you that is a big problem? It's just a bolt on so I can take it on and off easily.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Ok I just called the salesman that leased me the car and he said I can modify the car all I want just as long as I can remove them and convert them back to stock. I told him I wanted to do coilovers, rims, tint, body kit, etc and he said its fine. He even said I can swap out the engine just as long as it goes back to stock. I also mentioned that I plan to purchase it at the end of the term and he said that I shouldn't worry and just mod it.

This is in Acura of Thousand Oaks, CA
Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got a 09 TSX AT and I still have the bug to mod it. How much would the penalty be if I were to put coilovers or springs? I intend to purchase it after 3 years.
Don't even think about it!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Ok I just called the salesman that leased me the car and he said I can modify the car all I want just as long as I can remove them and convert them back to stock. I told him I wanted to do coilovers, rims, tint, body kit, etc and he said its fine. He even said I can swap out the engine just as long as it goes back to stock. I also mentioned that I plan to purchase it at the end of the term and he said that I shouldn't worry and just mod it.

This is in Acura of Thousand Oaks, CA
i live in canada, do you think policy is still the same?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I leased my '09 as well and would love to mod it, but I think I'm going to just hold out and see if I end up buying it off come the lease maturity date.

Arguably, one of the advantages in leasing is that you don't have to make a decision until a certain point in time.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
if you BUY the car they could care less WHAT you do to it...

BUT if you don't buy it - and you mod it - you jus WASTED all tha tmoney. you will have to UNINSTALL it all and that is a PITA. pulling off a body kit - you might not be able to - lots of those will cause damage if removed. coilovers - PITA to put in/take out unless you are able to do it yourself.

modding a leased car is not a good idea unless you are SURE you are going to buy it. if you were going to buy the car then why did you lease?

leasing a car and THEN buying it means y ou wind up financing the car FOREVER which means you really can't afford the car in the first place.

putting too much money into mods is fun but honeslty - been there done that - big fat waste of money. do little stuff like tint, AEM intake, maybe springs, a rear sway bar... and leave it alone.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Drifting

i plan to purchase the car in 3 years after the term is up. if i dont buy it, then ill take the time to take off the mods. i have a modified prelude and did some of the PITA work so its okay.

i dont plan to do any engine work. its all cosmetic/exterior mods.

besides, i get to write off the mileage on this lease since i do real estate investing.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
either way I agree with 23109VC that it is never a good idea to mod a leased car. the concept is counterintuitive.

and yes... leasing is a way to drive more car than you can afford. just hope that maybe in a few years I'll ring in a little more dough!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi guys, i just got out of the 07 audi a4 and got in the 09 tsx. im almost done getting rid of all the aftermarket parts on the audi. just the exhaust is left which i plan on putting on my tsx if possible. i was just wondering if acura doesnt give a damn if i modify my leased tsx just like audi? and do they try to mostly blame the modified parts if something goes wrong with car?

also, do they keep a record or report to acura of any modifications you have done on the car? if so, this maybe a problem if its time to turn it in.

thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Robbie D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont see the point of throwing money into modding a leased car.

yeah sure im all for new rims, tints, maybe a few visual things here and there. but nothing major.

its just wasting money.

im gonna do a few mods to mine and its a lease. probably put black vinyl on the roof, swap the rims for 18s and paint match the grille. but nothing more.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by boydanger
i dont see the point of throwing money into modding a leased car.

yeah sure im all for new rims, tints, maybe a few visual things here and there. but nothing major.

its just wasting money.

im gonna do a few mods to mine and its a lease. probably put black vinyl on the roof, swap the rims for 18s and paint match the grille. but nothing more.

you just contradicted yourself.

modding a lease is fine just as long as you can take the parts off and replace them back to OEM condition when you turn the car back to the dealer.

paint matching the grill is pretty much permanent unless you paint it back to chrome/silver

besides, i plan on purchasing the option at the end of the term. i might as well mod now with low payments.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
A friend has a leased 08 TL-S and we installed the total a-spec kit, wheels, suspension, TB spacer, etc. He thinks he's going to revert it to stock when the lease is up, but I know he'll walk away from the mods just like he did with his two or three previous cars.

Before he could sign the paperwork, the guys in the back had already removed his Comptech headers, exhaust, icebox, stut brace, blah blah blah.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
Just giving feedback based on my experience, not saying its the same for everyone.. Ive always leased my Acura's, and the last three I lowered them. When it came time to trade in at the end of the lease, I just took the stock springs with me to the dealer at the time of the trade, and they would actually put the stocks back on for me and gave me the aftermarket springs back. Ive always gone to them, so they know me by name there, but my experience has always been very good with Acura lease programs. As always, its good to ask questions with the dealer to get a feel for how strict they are at trade in time, because in all honesty, its up to the person that inspects your car when you take it back to them.