Paint chip :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint chip :(

So, while on the high way today, me and my girlfriend were talking about a truck that was infront of me. I told her, if I get hit by a rock from this guy that I'd be pissed..
well.. literally a second later we hear a huge smack on the driver side door. My face turned white, and she laughed, beotch.

Regardless, the impact was extremely loud, but the chip wasn't bad at all, you can't see it from like 5 feet from the vehicle.

But being picky as I am, I would like to take care of it, so this brings me to the question: Have you guys dealt with Acura Paint match pens? specifically, the CBP one?

I would post a picture, but it's not worth it. It really isn't that bad.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
^I have one, works just fine. One side color, the other clear coat. Make sure paint surface is clean, wait 24 hrs after applying paint before clear coat. Cost me C$12 for the CBP pen.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSX2010M
So, while on the high way today, me and my girlfriend were talking about a truck that was infront of me. I told her, if I get hit by a rock from this guy that I'd be pissed..
well.. literally a second later we hear a huge smack on the driver side door. My face turned white, and she laughed, beotch.

Regardless, the impact was extremely loud, but the chip wasn't bad at all, you can't see it from like 5 feet from the vehicle.

But being picky as I am, I would like to take care of it, so this brings me to the question: Have you guys dealt with Acura Paint match pens? specifically, the CBP one?

I would post a picture, but it's not worth it. It really isn't that bad.
If she laughed at your misfortune, she ain't marriage material. Keep a mental note.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
yea i cant believe she laughed at u ... but anyway, the old school bottle method worked better for me, esp for small chips. i used a toothpick and dabbed it in the paint and slowly filled the chip, no i can barely see it unless i am trying to look for it
Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
yea i cant believe she laughed at u ... but anyway, the old school bottle method worked better for me, esp for small chips. i used a toothpick and dabbed it in the paint and slowly filled the chip, no i can barely see it unless i am trying to look for it
Toothpick works well, much more precise.

I have been told to wet sand the chip after you touch it up to make it smoother and less noticeable. (Be extremely careful if you try this)
Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
sorry to hear that but paint on the acura is not the best. I have used the touch up paint pens. It takes time-shake the pen alot and I mean ALOT. Use light thin layers and wait till dry and repeat.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where do must u guys get ur touchup pens?
Old 11-25-2010, 01:21 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by pbhak002
where do must u guys get ur touchup pens?
the acura dealer
Old 11-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The touchup pen works great but at least with mine takes some fiddling to get it working. My front bumper looks like swiss cheese with the amount of dabbing I have done. Just be thankful that the rock didn't crack your windshield. I've had two cracks in the past year. I'm sure my insurance company is going to love me.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Thanks, you guys are awesome.
I'm due for an oil change soon so I'll pick up a pen when I go. Also, I've been smelling some sort of carbon-gasoline smell in the cabin, do you think the air filters gone already? I have 10,000km(6200(?)Miles) on the vehicle. The smell comes every once in a while. I don't drive the car too hard, I usually get around 38mpg with about 30:70 city- highway ratio.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are getting a gasoline smell consistently then it may be an issue that needs to be looked at. If you have the outside air on you might get some exhaust from the car in front of you or even yours in the morning.

Usually when the filters are beyond the point of needing replacement, when you turn them on they will smell like rotten egg or mildew. If shouldn't need replacing at 6200 miles though. I tend to replace them once a year though.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Here's a horror story for ya. So my Acura dealer recommended these guys because they take care of scratches and paint chips without going to an autobody shop, which I was still willing to do, but they really hyped up these guys so I gave them a shot. Remember, I went specifically for paint chips. And I told the guy exactly what I wanted. There were a couple that went straight to the metal I was able to cover up with the touch up paint but I couldn't get in there and clean out the surface rust well enough so I wanted it sanded down and re-touched up. Simple enough if you have a buffer. And they did.

So I watch him do a round turn on the car and get the paint code, etc etc... I felt fairly confident he knew what he was doing. After all, there was a sharp, beautiful looking BMW sitting there getting worked on as well. So, I stated exactly what I wanted done, nothing more. Nothing. It's still practically new. Now, I don't like to look over peoples' shoulders so I walked to the Starbucks a block up and had some coffee while I waited.

Came back an hour later and he was still at it. But, get this, he took a damn buffer to my hood, my fenders, my trunk lid, and the front part of the roof. Not to mention he hadn't touched the paint chips. WTF?!?!?!? I was like, where's the water hose? He looks at me all dumb like. I said, "You washed it before you started buffing, right?" Negative spaceghost. There was a good bit of dust on there. He completely ripped up the clearcoat.

Drove straight to a real autobody shop after that and I got an estimate. I could do a buff and wax for $250, or I could really get the clearcoat back on point for a cool grand with the paint chips actually fixed! Guess you get what you pay for.

Moral of the story, if you care about your car, don't let it out of your sight.

PS... When you go out next time and park your car in a parking lot, make damn sure there isn't a YOGA establishment right in front of you or some dumb @%$# will throw her door open and hit your car to get out her stupid little yoga mat. And when you are sitting in your car and you feel it, it makes it ten times worse.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I've used this on several cars with good results. You don't need to take care in dabbing the paint on with a toothpick etc, just go ahead and fill the chip. Let it dry, then use this to reduce the blob of paint even with the surface. Has worked well for me.

http://www.langka.com/faq.php
Old 11-28-2010, 08:46 PM
2010 Acura TSX

@Tannis - I feel for you man. That would make my gut all queasy. Hope everything worked out for you.

Regarding the paint chips, I am in the process of repairing some rather large paint scratches from stupidly trying to park in a slot that was too tight.

Anyhow, I discovered these guys http://drcolorchip.com/ after I saw them highly recommended on another site. Waiting for the products to get here, but will let everyone know how it works out. The before and after photos on their site look impressive.

If anyone has tried them out, please let us know how it turned out for you.