OMG...Serious incident...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG...Serious incident...

. The other day, I was driving in eastern Queens (near JFK airport), on a typical pot-hole infested road...I drove over a manhole cover (that was sticking out pretty high) and possibly damaged my car...Few minutes later, "low oil" sign came on and smoke was coming from under the hood........
I called for the tow truck (AAA) and they towed the car to Acura dealership on LI.
What could possibly be the issue? Will warranty cover it?
Please share yout opinions.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Racer

wow that rly sucks. let us know what happens. did the tire blow out? bent wheel?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Racer

and i dont think warranty covers pothole damage. sry
Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Tires/wheels are fine. It was actually manhole cover (raised like 8-10 inches from the gound). damn... i do not belive that the damage should be very serious...probably filter blew out or something...any thoughs?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:52 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
If it is not covered under warranty (doubt it will be) you might try your insurance
Old 09-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Cruisin'

As I said, I do not belive that the car sustained such damage to justify insurance's deductible...
Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
User with Skills

You drove over something that was 8-10 inches raised?! Unless I'm not understanding the situation correctly, i'm surprised u didn't destroy your suspension. It sounds like you probably hit something that punctured the oil filter (at best) or you cracked your oil pan.

Good luck with that man.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX09BKLYN
As I said, I do not belive that the car sustained such damage to justify insurance's deductible...
Sorry to hear that. This is 95% NOT a warranty item. But Smoke and a Low Oil light could very well be more costly than your deductible. You might also look into the City and County as they are responsible for maintaining the roads.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Colin noted, you might see if you can get a city/county to see if you can get some money. It works in Chicago for flats caused by potholes. You need to document it pretty well though...
Old 09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
8"-10" Holy cow! That might as well be a mile! I had a customer who ran over an embankment with his 02 TL-S and broke the oil pan, which dumped the oil and ruined the engine.

It's highly unlikely that warranty would cover that, as mentioned.

Unless your deductible is $2500, it's going to be an insurance job. Besides, there may very well be hidden damage to the subframe and Lord knows what else. With insurance, that can be addressed under the same claim. (No additional deductible as it would be the same occurence.)

Hearsay has it that if a pothole has been reported and not repaired, that you can file a claim against the state.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX09BKLYN
. The other day, I was driving in eastern Queens (near JFK airport), on a typical pot-hole infested road...I drove over a manhole cover (that was sticking out pretty high) and possibly damaged my car...Few minutes later, "low oil" sign came on and smoke was coming from under the hood........
I called for the tow truck (AAA) and they towed the car to Acura dealership on LI.
What could possibly be the issue? Will warranty cover it?
Please share yout opinions.

Get ready to lawyer up and sue the city, get pictures ASAP. You still might not win because road hazards, they will say you could have avoided it and you were going to fast.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Advanced

i feel your pain, like cybre bro said, get pictures of the manhole cover and pics of your car. Do not skip any steps, hold up the newspaper in the photos or soemthing to prove the date. do it all. Not to upset you or anyhitng, but your car could be scrap and the city should pay for it if that is the case,.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would NOT tell acura the story u just told us.
Tell then you where just driving along and the oil light came on and car started smoking , say nothing about a manhole cover or potholes or they will deff not cover it!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by bjohnston115
i feel your pain, like cybre bro said, get pictures of the manhole cover and pics of your car. Do not skip any steps, hold up the newspaper in the photos or soemthing to prove the date. do it all. Not to upset you or anyhitng, but your car could be scrap and the city should pay for it if that is the case,.

I once cracked a rim blew a shock and flat tire cuz of a pothole (looked like a sinkhole) tried to get the $ from the city filled out all these forms and they denied my claim but did fix the pothole a few days later. I was gonna get a lawyer but all the money they would give me to fix my car would just go to pay the lawyer. So I tried getting money from the city of passaic NJ and go no where just filled out alot of paperwork and wasted alot of time!
New york will deff not reimberse you u r just wasting time and money trying..
Like i said B4 go to the dlr and DO NOT mention anything about manholes or potholes just say the light came on when u started your car and the it started smoking when u started driving!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

i say you hit the oil pan, thats the only think i would think of to explain the oil all over.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by StonedCL
I would NOT tell acura the story u just told us.
Tell then you where just driving along and the oil light came on and car started smoking , say nothing about a manhole cover or potholes or they will deff not cover it!
I'm sure they will see evidence that a road hazard caused the problem.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced

yeah weather you tell them or not, they will put the car on a left and see the the bottom half of the engine in smashed.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Instructor

did they remove the pavement from the road? They been doing that alot around here.
Exactly what area was this..i live close to JFK airport. hopefully u just damaged the pan.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:52 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by Colin
I'm sure they will see evidence that a road hazard caused the problem.
I agree-Lying is not always a good answer. You usually get caught in the end.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:30 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I agree-Lying is not always a good answer. You usually get caught in the end.
He is not lieing he IS telling them that the oil light came on and the car started s moking he is just leaving out the part about hittinga pothole manhole cover..

You guys think the Dealer does not lie to you ever chance they get , I bet you there is more BS comming ouytta the DLR's mouth then is truth!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM
it's a car-drive it

He is not lieing he IS telling them that the oil light came on and the car started s moking he is just leaving out the part about hittinga pothole manhole cover..

You guys think the Dealer does not lie to you ever chance they get , I bet you there is more BS comming ouytta the DLR's mouth then is truth!

As the old saying goes-two wrongs do not make a right. Like most things they are good and bad dealers. My good friend is the acura service manager so I personally trust him.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 PM

LOLOL...drive in with 1/2 the oil pan missing and tell them you don't know what happened?!?!

Gotta watch dem jailhouse lawyers, don'cha know?

Screw around too much and you won't be able to file a claim with your insurance. Tell the truth, deal with it and be a big boy.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM

Oh, BTW, then when the truth comes out that you know the pan was busted and drove the car anyway that could be grounds for your insurance company to deny your claim for a replacement engine.

Bet me.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

.. what is all this fus about.. This is a Comprehensive claim.. you're not at fault. Call your insurance company and explain to them you were driving on said road when the man hole appeared from the truck infront of you and you couldn't slam your brakes because of traffic behind you, you couldn't swerve because of traffic ont he side of you and you had no choice but to drive over the obstruction as slow as possible with out getting rear ended.

Your deductible is $500 - $1000 i'm assuming and the damage were talkig about is way over that amount of money. Like Heavyduty said you have a lot of hidden damage already apparent I.E. your engine was smoking.. your oil is on the road, and you're missing a oil pan, all the clamps that hold it on, and the bent screw / bolt holes that got ripped out. The insurance company will go after the City for the money, you just need to have all your information. I.E. time of day, road name. If you have a picture send it in, if you don't go take it immediately. Even if you don't the city can not deny they were doin work ont hat street doing whatever with that man hole. It is all documented.

This is of no concern to you and will not effect your insurance rates so stop panicking and thinking of ways to manipulate your way into the dealership tot ake care of it, because they are by no means going to accept any story you give them when the apparent forced damage is found under the vehicle.

Stop whining, pick up the phone and call the claims office. Quickly you will realize you can soap up your tears and move on with your life as a body shop fixes your car at your deductible price and you are provided with an insurance vehicle with 90- 100% of the cost covered. If you have a second vehicle and don't need a rental, you get a check for nearly $10 -$20 a day for everyday you don't drive a rental car which will off set your deductible... Besides your comprehensive deductible realistically shouldn't be over $250 on a 09' acura tsx.

If it is, you're either very cheap.. or shouldn't have bought a $33,000 vehicle in the first place.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I just realized this post was nearly 10 days ago. oops wasted my time
Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

LOL, so all dealers are lying bastards, and all customers are saints?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Colin
LOL, so all dealers are lying bastards, and all customers are saints?
NOT "all" dealers but most and not "all" people but most..

I have worked with people for 10 years and I used to LOVE dealing with people but now i just tolerate it.. Same thing goes for Dealers, why do most people hate shopping for a car? Cuz the Dealers are liers..
My sister is shopping (was) for a car .. She went to the infinity DLR and got a price of $3500 down $468 a month for a G37X and that was the best they could do.. My finance manager called her friend over at the same DLr and was able to get her the same car for $2000 down and $409 a month.. SAME CAR... they lied.. I see the service DEPT always jacking up HOurs and prices on customers cars..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

She went to the infinity DLR and got a price of $3500 down $468 a month for a G37X and that was the best they could do.. My finance manager called her friend over at the same DLr and was able to get her the same car for $2000 down and $409 a month.. SAME CAR... they lied..
IMO, its not that different from a customer saying "I can only pay 300 per month" when they can afford 350. Or the customer saying that they "have to leave in 10 minutes".... and they end up staying for 2 more hours. I don't really consider either example "lying".

As with many things, it is not all black and white. There are good and bad apples in all walks of life.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Racer

so what happened with this car whats the damage?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 AM

NOT "all" dealers but most and not "all" people but most....
Buyers are liars.

Yes, some dealers are dishonest as well as customers & both spoil the batch for everyone else just like any other business.

It eventually catches up though. Google "Bill Heard Chevrolet" in Sanford, Fla. Absolute worst in the business industrywide, now out of business.