New TSX vs 3G TL?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
New TSX vs 3G TL?

I'm looking for a Daily Driver to go back/forth to work. I am married iwth 3 kids. 7/3/18 mos. We have an 07 MDX on lease that is our "main" family car. I have a 2000 boxster for weekend fun. My existing DD is old, we have it sold to a family member who is taking it off our hands dirt cheap....so I'm in need of a new car.

I lke the TL, especially the TL-S. I can find a used TL-S for probably 27-28k for an 07. proabably 30k for a low mileage 08. All of these are CPO at dealer. don't wnat to deal with private party - want a CPO warranty.

I believe the 3G TL and the new TSX are VERY similar in size. my car will sometimes be driven with the kids and since we recently had a new TSX as a loaner, and used it all weekend, I KNOW I can fit three car seats in teh back no problem. we did it and it worked fine.

upsides to the 4cyl TSX are gas mileage! if we take the TSX we get much better mielage for trips where we don't need the size/storage of the MDX.

the TL, to me, looks older and outdated somewhat, but it's still anice looking car. but the V6 is nice. way more power/punch, but also more torque steer. i hardlyn oticed ANY torque steer on the TSX loaner we had and I SURE tried to get it to do it.... the TL-S will yank your hands off the wheel is you mash the gas off the line...

hanlidng wise, the TSX was nice. it felt firm and cornered well, but the TL-S for sure woudlb esportier. although I have to admit - having a porsche for my weekend car - I don't really HAVE to ahve a hard core sporty sedan for my DD. a TSX is fine, as would be a base TL.

nav woudl be nice, but not a requirement. I can always grab a Garmin at Costco and be fine. i'd rather save money and NOT get nav than blow the usual $3k extra.

now for pricing - it's harder to find used TSXs...so id likely be looking at an 09. i can get an 09 base for probably 26k or so.

i could ge ta used 07 TL-S with about 30k miles for about the same price. CPO..but it's used.

i've run all kinds of numbers and tried to figure out what i'd REALLY pay in the long haul, as if I finance i'll do it over 6 years to get the payment down near where a lease payment would be. i also could just buy the car outright instead of lease.

i have a creid tunion check good for about 33k. so I could buy the TSX or lease it. if i buy it, i'd keep it 6 years or so and then sell it.

i will probably put 12k miles/year on whatever I buy. the upside to a TSX is I can ge ta virtually new one for the same money as the TL or TL-S - and as it would have NO miles - and the used ones have 15-30k miles on them - i'm basically getting 1-2 full years of "use" out of the TSX MORE for the same money.

i still like the idea of a used TL-S b/c i'm such a speedjunkie - but i'm not buhign the car to canyon carve or drag in. it's a nice luxury car to zip to/from work in and sometimes put the wifee/kids in and take short 1-2 hours trips in.

safety is a big conern as I have kids. I know the TL is saafe, have NOT checked safety ratings of the new TSX.

so considering:

price - cheaper to get TSX
performance - handling is similar, power more for TL/TL-S
safety - ??
gas mileage - TSX wins
rear seat room - same on both cars really

i kinda think the TSX would be a better car in that I could ge ta newer one for less money than a used TL-S - but i give up nav and the V6. I can always take the boxster out for a rip if I need to shift gears and pll some lateral Gs..

maybe get a base used TL - ? non nav TL - 2007/2008? not as sporty as TL-S but better than a TSX???

suggestions?
Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a toss up but I test drove both and bought an 09 TSX because it felt a lot more comfortable, had 3 miles on it, iPod and USB integration, gets 30 mpg highway (?!) and I happen to like the electronic steering.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Racer

2310 I bought a 2006 TL 5AT 3yrs ago and I am really considering the 6 speed manual 2009 TSX.
Nothing wrong with the TL at all, no problems up to date. Just looking for something newer and the TSX is a good candidate. GL with whatever you decide on.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
sounds like you've done alot of thinking, and I must say that the 09 TSX is probably your best bet. Im probably bias cause I drive one, but it genuinely is a well rounded car. As for safety ratings of the new TSX, you should take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTTybn5aT54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtsnHk6tM74

In sum: VERY SAFE CAR! haha

In the end though, it is totally up to you. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
All of Acura's 2009 cars have top safety ratings.

Also, if the 4 banger TSX doesn't quite do it for you, you can always get a V6 that is coming out this summer. But obviously that would negate the great mpg the 4 gets. And the price is steeper....$35k for the non tech, $38k for tech.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Drifting

i can get a 4 banger TSX 2/tech now for $29k. That's about what I'd pay for a used 2007 TL-s. the TL-S would be faster and maybe sportier, but I have to say the TSX is pretty sporty as is.

you know one car I test drove which I hoenstly liked, but is SOOOO different from what I usually like - the Pontiac G8 GT. I droe that beast - holy moly - that thing flat out FLIES and the handling was suprisingly GOOD. too bad you can't lease one. the residual on that car must be in the toilet.

and i'm worried about buying one, b/c once you drive that sucker of the lot, you will never sell it. nasty mpg, pontiac name - it's a good car, but the eonomy went down the toilet at the wrong time. had we not had the hosuing bust/economy problems, this sucker woudl have sold. what a fun car.

i'm looking for quality, luxury, something upscale looking, but still reasonable. i can live with the 4 cylinder power but i'd rather have th eV6. my locale dealer has both new TSX tech and a used TL-S.

i may hit them tonight and test drive them back to bakc and just amke up my mind which one i like.

another issue - is to get the TL-S I have to BUY. to ge th TSX I can lease - and I will wind up with quite a bit cheaoer payments by leasing. I used $4k down to just keep things even.

with 4k down - the payment on a 72 month loan on teh TL-S woudl have $515/payments per m onth.

with 4k down on a lease I'd pay only $325/month fofr 10k miles/year.

i know no a lease you don't put money down..but just used those n umber to compare.

decisions decisions.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Drifting

went tonight and test drove the used TL-S and a new TSX tech = back to back. TL-S was far faster. FAR faster. it rode much much firmer too. i like the interior MUCH more in the TSX and the TSX was more comfortable.

hoenstly, the TL felt "old" to me. the TSX was fresher/newer. but the TL did have 32k on the odometer.

between the two, I think i'd rather have the TSX.

i then test drove a new 4G TL. to me, that car is the same as the TSX in interior feel and the plush ride, but had the "oommph" of the TLS. not bad.

for what they want for oa TSX tech - you coudl amost spend a few grand more and get intoa base non-nav TL.

it's got me thinking. i'm not really 100% sold on the new TL look though..and not sure i wanna drop that much money on a car right now...
Old 06-15-2009, 04:11 AM
Banned

I think the forthcoming non-tech V6 TSX is the car for you.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Drifting

i asked my dealer when the V6 TSX was coming out - he said he's not ordering any b/c the price is too high and it will compete with the base TL... maybe he just said that b/c he wants to sell me what he has on teh lot now... you think?!? but yeah - the V6 TSX might be the one.

i test drove the TL - and while I liked it, it felt a bit on the floaty side. it also had torque steer that I could feel - and if I get a V6 TSX it's gonna have the same thing. for some reason the TL-S they had on the lot had verylittle torque steer I could detect.

the TL-S this particular delaer had - it wasn't any good. the steering wheel was off center - liike it was in bad need of an alignment AND the drivers seat was LOOSE. both my wife and I drove it and each of us notied thas as you gave the car gas,accelerated the driers seat rocked back/forth!!! you woudl think they woudl fix that stuff on a car they are asking $31k for...

i really like hte interior of the new TSX vs the old 3G. both are nice interiors, but the new TSX to me, has a much more modern feel. the ride was obviously hard/firm in the TL-S and by comparison the tSX and the new TL had a more plush/softer more compliant ride.

i liked them all really. one thing thogh - after driving the Tl and the TSX - i can't help but think that if you put a V6 into the TSX it's going to feel/drive a LOT likethe TL.... unless they do something tomake it less liek the tL... are they going to make the suspension a lot stiffer/firmer to make it more like the old TL-S??
Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 23109VC
i asked my dealer when the V6 TSX was coming out - he said he's not ordering any b/c the price is too high and it will compete with the base TL... maybe he just said that b/c he wants to sell me what he has on teh lot now... you think?!? but yeah - the V6 TSX might be the one.

i test drove the TL - and while I liked it, it felt a bit on the floaty side. it also had torque steer that I could feel - and if I get a V6 TSX it's gonna have the same thing. for some reason the TL-S they had on the lot had verylittle torque steer I could detect.

the TL-S this particular delaer had - it wasn't any good. the steering wheel was off center - liike it was in bad need of an alignment AND the drivers seat was LOOSE. both my wife and I drove it and each of us notied thas as you gave the car gas,accelerated the driers seat rocked back/forth!!! you woudl think they woudl fix that stuff on a car they are asking $31k for...

i really like hte interior of the new TSX vs the old 3G. both are nice interiors, but the new TSX to me, has a much more modern feel. the ride was obviously hard/firm in the TL-S and by comparison the tSX and the new TL had a more plush/softer more compliant ride.

i liked them all really. one thing thogh - after driving the Tl and the TSX - i can't help but think that if you put a V6 into the TSX it's going to feel/drive a LOT likethe TL.... unless they do something tomake it less liek the tL... are they going to make the suspension a lot stiffer/firmer to make it more like the old TL-S??
The dealer is definately messing with you. As a rule of thumb they will down play anything that is not on their lot. They say that when a customer walks off the lot they never come back. "I'll think about it" is considered the termination point of a deal, that's why they follow you out the door so often. For the dealer to agree that a car they don't have is the right car for you is to agree to losing the sale.

The new TL is widely riduculed as being fat and ugly. I suspect dealers will jump at the chance to replace their TL stock with any alternative.

I suspect the V6 TSX won't be as bad with the torque steer as the TL, the electronic steering seems to dampen feedback in general. This review is good http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
it says that "Torque steer... is well managed"

If they come out with a manual V6 TSX in 2011 I'll definately take a look.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
why not shop a legacy gt? safer than both, handles better than both (no torque steer), costs less than the tsx, and will smoke the boxster to boot (unless its an 's')
Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bo_Darville
why not shop a legacy gt? safer than both, handles better than both (no torque steer), costs less than the tsx, and will smoke the boxster to boot (unless its an 's')
The Legacy is a viable option, but I don't understand how it's safer when the 09 TSX got top safety pick (all the current Acuras got it).
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Robbie D.

The car I had before getting my 09' TSX was an 04' TL. It didn't take long for me to get used to the TSX. They're both great cars but the TSX definitely wins the DD trophy. The TSX is a luxury sedan not really that much of a sports sedan but it still can be fun. The TL is more on the sporty side.

Both are great cars but from what I read I would say go with the TSX, you wont regret. I love mine and im a single 21 year old dude that plays in a rock n roll band. I can still get a good kick out of the TSX especially after 4,500rpm when the Vtec system kicks in.

i do miss my TL though... we had some good and wild times together.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 23109VC
went tonight and test drove the used TL-S and a new TSX tech = back to back. TL-S was far faster. FAR faster. it rode much much firmer too. i like the interior MUCH more in the TSX and the TSX was more comfortable.

hoenstly, the TL felt "old" to me. the TSX was fresher/newer. but the TL did have 32k on the odometer.

between the two, I think i'd rather have the TSX.

i then test drove a new 4G TL. to me, that car is the same as the TSX in interior feel and the plush ride, but had the "oommph" of the TLS. not bad.

for what they want for oa TSX tech - you coudl amost spend a few grand more and get intoa base non-nav TL.

it's got me thinking. i'm not really 100% sold on the new TL look though..and not sure i wanna drop that much money on a car right now...
to compare rides - you should try to get your hands on a TSX with about 30,000 miles on it to test drive. obviously, you won't be able to test drive a 2009 with 30k, but at least you'd have a comparison of how the TSX breaks in compared with the TL....
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Drifting

you know what I test drove -that blew me away - the POntiac G8. there was a pontiac dealer accross the street, so I went over and tried one out. OMFG. faster than stink! no torque steer. quality was not acura nice, but it was NOT that bad. ride was EXCELLENT> i went into the test drive thinking the car would be fast in a straight line, but handle like crap, look like crap, and leave me disapponted. i test drove a 300C SRT8 a few years ago and that was what i though - big fast POS.

G8 was totally NOT that. it was a NICE car htat had me continually thinking "wow, i like this car." i dind't expect to like it so much. it's reallly big too. for having three kids - tiw ould really fit everyone nice. and go like stink!

mpg is bad
longevity / reliability may be ??? i talked to a few coworkers who own American cars and they all had good relaaibility and basicallys aid they think american cars get a bum rap. maybe not as luxurious but they all had good reliability.

one fear though is with POntiac going bye bye and GM in bankruptcy, how do you get parts/service over the next several years???? too bad GM is having issues..this car rocks!!!

the longer I am away from the 4G TL the LESS I want anything to do with it. i saw one on the road yesterday and I thought "what a fugly car". sorry it is just plaint ugly a$$ car.

the TSX looks great, butis too slow for me. i currently have a Volvo T5 S70. with an exhaust. it probably puts out 250hp with 250-260lbs of torque. it is fast. old, rattly, no a/c....but fast. i like that torque.

you know what else i though about.. .used V70R. stealth bad A$$ wagon. those can be had cheaper than a TSX. nie cars.

or i could look for a used TL-S that is an 08 with less miles. the one i test drove was an 07 with 30k on it and it just felt poorly maintained. the seat wobbled, one of hte rear speaekrs was making weird hisssing sounds...not sure if they all wear out this fast and have issues or if it was jut a bad car...

i liked the power of the TL-S. not nearly asf ast/smooth as the G8, but the TL-S was nice inside and had plenty of oomphhp.

decisions decisions.

i need to stay around 25-30k. need to fit three kids. TSX is as small as I can go, and I want something safe.

i'm also thining of used RLs. you can get nice CPO 06 RLs with 35k miles for about $25k they seem to depreciate worse than the freakin TLs.

i know they make aspec suspension for the RLs and i wonder if adding that woudl give the RL just the touch of stiffness it needs. you can get the aspec shocks/springs for about $600. very classy luxurious car and SH-AWD.

decisions decisions.

as I have the boxster..i don't have to have a big bad aSS speeddemon from my DD. a TSX would be fine, but honestly, i'd miss having SOME torque. the RL would have enough and be super smooth classy. the TL is in between. the TSX is slow but super economical.

I think if I go acura, I'll ge ta used RL or TL-S. very different but both are nice in their own ways.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
The Pontiac G8 is actually based on the GM Holden Commordore from Australia. Depending on the model you tried out, it can be the 256 hp 3.6 V6 all the way to the 6.2L 415hp V8. Torque would be plentiful.

I would stay away from Volvo, the V70 has below-average reliability.

The RL is nice especially the Tech model, it has all the stuff you find in the TSX plus CMBS, ACC and ANC built in. For the price, you get power and AWD and Japanese built quality. I will pick that over the TL-S.