New grill = great laser target?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New grill = great laser target?

I would think with all that chrome out front it would be easy to obtain a laser reading off the new TSX.

I have been contemplating a Blinder M25. I'm having a new Passport 9500ix hardwired in this weekend, but that does nothing against laser.

The cost of a M25 would be offset by just one ticket.

Anyone have any input?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money. They know how fast you are going anyway since they are trained to estimate speed by eye.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MaineMDX
I would think with all that chrome out front it would be easy to obtain a laser reading off the new TSX.

I have been contemplating a Blinder M25. I'm having a new Passport 9500ix hardwired in this weekend, but that does nothing against laser.

Anyone have any input?
Save money, don't speed.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:21 AM
on to a CRZ

Originally Posted by AustinJay
Save money, don't speed.
although i agree, thats usually easier said than done.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaineMDX

Anyone have any input?
You could paint match the grill. I haven't seen cops use lidar much if at all. Everytime I drive by a speed trap the radar detector indicates that radar is the weapon of choice. Cops aren't using them as readily because they cost more, require the cop to be stationary and require them to aim which might seem like a good thing but it's more work for them. I wouldn't invest any money in preventing lidar speed detection given the realtive scarcity of lidar. You'd truely have to be constantly speeding excessively to make it pay off.

If front plates are required they can reflect off that instead, and if not the headlamps will suffice. You're pretty much screwed unless you have something like this

Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by northbridge
although i agree, thats usually easier said than done.
Why? If you can't follow a simple rule like not speeding, u shouldn't be driving. Just my
Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Why? If you can't follow a simple rule like not speeding, u shouldn't be driving. Just my
Is it hard being perfect all the time?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wackura
Is it hard being perfect all the time?
Going the speed limit is far from being perfect. It's a simple thing to follow IMO. Most of traffic is doing it, so follow the crowd.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

This is a large country we live in, not all roads are like the ones between your house and place of work. Often in rural areas they will post a rediculously low speed limit for fund raising purposes. Yes they post the speed limit but it can be an easy thing to miss, so you're cruising at 50 not realizing it's now 35 because there's a municpality two miles up ahead and bam you've just made a contribution to the general budget of Nowheresville. Other times they will post 45 mph on a four lane highway with a wide median that you naturaly expect to be 55 on account of a single house that's nowhere in site. If you don't think cops count on these innocent mistakes for revenue you're naive.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Instructor

I just know about the CA Basic Speed Law. Even if the posted speed is 35 and it is reasonable to drive a faster speed (ie your examples) you should be able to. It is the people that just intentionally go faster because they want to that are the ones that are far from perfect. If it is true that the speed limits don't make sense, then those roads need to be resurveyed for speed. Talk to you county supervisor or your traffic and lights commissioner. As for your comment on cop revenue, officers in CA don't make any extra money giving you a ticket. Just FYI.

Basic Speed Law

22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.
Amended Ch. 252, Stats. 1963. Effective September 20, 1963.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Banned

I just know about the CA Basic Speed Law. Even if the posted speed is 35 and it is reasonable to drive a faster speed (ie your examples) you should be able to. It is the people that just intentionally go faster because they want to that are the ones that are far from perfect. If it is true that the speed limits don't make sense, then those roads need to be resurveyed for speed. Talk to you county supervisor or your traffic and lights commissioner. As for your comment on cop revenue, officers in CA don't make any extra money giving you a ticket. Just FYI.

Basic Speed Law

22350. No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property.
Amended Ch. 252, Stats. 1963. Effective September 20, 1963.
We don't all live in California and in fact the OPs name is MaineMDX so I don't know why you would bring up CA law.

Traffic tickets are an obvious revenue generator for rural towns. There's no debate to be had. Obviously the cop's pay isn't dependant on how many citations they issue. That would be a conflict of interest. However the cops are aware that their municipality's budget is affected by their degree of productivity.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 PM
on to a CRZ

whoa whoa, no need to be testy. when i said "easier said than done" i didnt mean to cause a riot. I do in fact follow speed limit rules and i wasnt suggesting that anyone break them. I also know that most of people dont drive at or below the speed limit 100% of the time.

Its correct that nobody should speed, i understand that and i'm not debating that point. It seems that statements on this forum get taken out of context...
Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

There's nothing wrong with riots.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thought the 09 TSX front grill is made of PLASTIC, not chrome.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Intermediate

On the highway I'm usually never more than 7 mph over the limit, say 62 in a 55; 70 in a 65, but many times on the way to work 55 in a 40 and everybody does it. The speed limits were set up 50 plus years ago. There are no houses around. I've heard of many who were cited just a couple mph's over the limit. What was once acceptable is no longer. They don't notify you of the change.

We have many roads where the limits are unusually low like 25 mph. Normal in that area would be 35 or 40. I don't even think you can set the cruise control under 25 mph. They ticket regularly. If by any chance you don't see the one speed limit sign your screwed.

On a 55 mph highway take your chance if you pass someone and exceed the 55 mph limit. They do ticket for that up here.

Granted in the winter there is not much chance of seeing lidar as no cop wants to set up in sub zero temps, but come spring it's a totally different story. The only savior might be the black flies.

I can't tell, but the front grill might be plastic. But then lidar has no problem locking onto a vette without a plate.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

Nothing you can do or not do to a car effect radar at all. Mythbusters proved it.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Banned

lidar is different than radar.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Can't wait to drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I agree that one should not speed, not speeding 100% is very difficult when nearly everybody in traffic speed around me where I drive. I live around Los Angeles so 80mph is the norm for freeway w/o traffic, and 10mph over posted on the street is very common (when the cops aren't looking). If you try to obey the law by going the speed limit, sometimes other cars will be very aggressive and tailgate or make some daring passes.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The grill will not affect the reflectivity rating of the car in the slightest. Neat theory, though!