Need some confirmation: 2012 TSX wagon with tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need some confirmation: 2012 TSX wagon with tech

I currently have a 2001 accord thhas been with me through thick and thin. It can'be traded in due to condition, but still has some life left in it, maybe 2 year or more.

I have an opportunity to get a 2012 TSX wagon with tech, CPO, under 10k miles at ~$26.5k. It drives great, but do i need it? I've always wanted it, but the inevitable discontinuation of wagons and tsx in general hurt my cars value. Plus i don't NEED it...my trusty Honda would just sit. Advice on what to do, pull the trigger...negotiate down further due to discontinuation and low to no buyers for a wagon in the south?

First time buyer, this will be the largest purchase I've ever made. Yes I'm cheap, but always go for quality
Old 10-19-2013, 06:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Nobody can give you that advice but -

I believe that the wagon will become more valuable and sought after - just look at the amount of money Accord wagons command in relationship to similar sedans.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you want and can afford it, get it.

I love my wagon, it's better than the sedan in my opinion and 26k is a good deal.

Sell your old accord rather then let it sit though.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

$26k is a great price for a CPO with 10k miles. Local dealers in DC Metro have them advertised for $29k (loaner with 10k miles) and won't budge under $28k.
The following users liked this post:
philarious (10-20-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 09:58 PM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Always a tough call. Its a very good overall vehicle. You can always donate your accord and write it off...or hand it down to a sibling or something.

If its your first big purchase, make sure its really what u want, unless you don't plan on driving it long. there's an ocean of good used cars out there for less, but very few in the wagon category--some great hot hatches out there for sure.

I worry some about resale of mine...but plan on keeping it over 150k so it'll take a giant hit regardless
philarious (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Intermediate

Yeah, I think I'm just scared of dropping that much cash down (financing probably) and the whole process is a bit intimidating.

It is a great vehicle and I've read through many of the posts here about it. Krnboy or someone got an excellent deal at $25k new with tech. So my CPO price pales in comparison, lol.

And my current car has frame dmg and no air bags.... I don't even think I can donate it. Maybe part it out....for whatever parts remain? Hahah

Thanks for your help and advice guys, I'm gonna look at financing options now and will let you know if I pulled the trigger on it.

If I do, I'm thinking of ceramic sealing it and clear bra. The color is black....tough to maintain.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kball
Always a tough call. Its a very good overall vehicle. You can always donate your accord and write it off...or hand it down to a sibling or something.

If its your first big purchase, make sure its really what u want, unless you don't plan on driving it long. there's an ocean of good used cars out there for less, but very few in the wagon category--some great hot hatches out there for sure.

I worry some about resale of mine...but plan on keeping it over 150k so it'll take a giant hit regardless
I don't think that you should worry about any car's resale that is driven more than the average of about 13k a year - resale will be lousy but a well kept niche wagon will always fetch more than a mainstream sedan.
Originally Posted by philarious
Yeah, I think I'm just scared of dropping that much cash down (financing probably) and the whole process is a bit intimidating.

It is a great vehicle and I've read through many of the posts here about it. Krnboy or someone got an excellent deal at $25k new with tech. So my CPO price pales in comparison, lol.

And my current car has frame dmg and no air bags.... I don't even think I can donate it. Maybe part it out....for whatever parts remain? Hahah

Thanks for your help and advice guys, I'm gonna look at financing options now and will let you know if I pulled the trigger on it.

If I do, I'm thinking of ceramic sealing it and clear bra. The color is black....tough to maintain.
At the current 1.9% financing for CPO, you're paying about $1000 or so in finance charges over 5 years - perhaps you can negotiate those savings into the price.

This is the internet. I just bought a brand new Bugatti Veyron for $500. Just because somebody claims to have bought a car for a certain price doesn't make it so. Even if accurate, did it include freight and all dealer fees? Did it include a discount because he got dealer financing at 10%? Did he get taken by $3k on his trade?

In the DC Metro area, you can get a new 12 tech wagon for about $31k, a 13 for $32 and a CPO'd loaner for a couple of grand less. Anybody in this area who says they got one for substantially less is not being truthful.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
philarious (10-20-2013), PPower (10-21-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 AM
KidWiTh2kTL

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
was in the same boat as you a month ago!

I was driving at 2000 Acura TL that had 160k miles and still running strong. I came across the CTE SC TSX that was locally being sold. I didn't need it but if you could afford it and is something you have been wanting and working hard for, why not? but imo, it's a car i don't see myself ever selling.

Ask yourself two questions, do you see yourself driving it for a while and if you could afford it, why not? lol

Sounds like a good deal btw!
philarious (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
That is a good deal! Your window of opportunity to get a low mileage cpo wagon is closing. You may regret it if you dont pull the trigger. Plus, its a Honda. It will last and hopefully still look great years after you're done paying it off.
philarious (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

I'm looking at financing options and thinking about negotiating tactics. I've always heard never pay sticker, hah! Maybe I can get discounts off the accessories. I was thinking body side moldings and the interior mats and trunk mat. Any necessary accessories that I need to have?

I really appreciate all the advice and comments. I was actually pleasantly surprised about the feedback given and how well this community helped out. I'll definitely be posting more here and cleaning my garage to fill it with this TSX.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 PM
wagon owner

Tinted windows is a good option for them to include.
Side Molding looks good.
All season mats
See if you can get them to throw in 5-6 oil changes (written in to contract), maybe they end up giving you 3
philarious (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm looking at financing options and thinking about negotiating tactics. I've always heard never pay sticker, hah! Maybe I can get discounts off the accessories. I was thinking body side moldings and the interior mats and trunk mat. Any necessary accessories that I need to have?
From everything I've heard, dealers don't have much room to budge on a CPO car. So you're more likely to get them to come down more on a new one. Others with more buying experience can chime in and correct me But on most cars you shouldn't pay sticker. There's always a dealer willing to cut you some sort of deal.

As for accessories they're mostly cosmetic so it's gonna be your personal preference. I got the upgraded steering wheel and interior trim and got them to throwin a free shift knob. I'm very happy with the accessories. I also got them to sell me the upgraded warranty for 900 bucks to bring the bumper to bumper to 7 years/75k miles. I trust the mechanicals will hold up but all it takes is a bum GPS unit or other electrical problem to equal (or surpass) to cost of the upgraded warranty. And I can transfer to warranty so I'd feel more comfortable selling the car myself after 5 years and make more than a dealer would give me on trade in. Dealers usually make most of their money off of stuff they try and sell you while in the financing room but you can always negotiate at that point too.
philarious (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tsxguy00
From everything I've heard, dealers don't have much room to budge on a CPO car. So you're more likely to get them to come down more on a new one. Others with more buying experience can chime in and correct me But on most cars you shouldn't pay sticker. There's always a dealer willing to cut you some sort of deal.

As for accessories they're mostly cosmetic so it's gonna be your personal preference. I got the upgraded steering wheel and interior trim and got them to throwin a free shift knob. I'm very happy with the accessories. I also got them to sell me the upgraded warranty for 900 bucks to bring the bumper to bumper to 7 years/75k miles. I trust the mechanicals will hold up but all it takes is a bum GPS unit or other electrical problem to equal (or surpass) to cost of the upgraded warranty. And I can transfer to warranty so I'd feel more comfortable selling the car myself after 5 years and make more than a dealer would give me on trade in. Dealers usually make most of their money off of stuff they try and sell you while in the financing room but you can always negotiate at that point too.
Don't these usually come with a free maintenance package or am I kidding myself? It is probably dealer specific, but I could've sworn I saw under Acura's warranty that it has the free maintenance warranty. Tint I think I can get it cheaper and at a higher % than what they can offer (legal of course ;-] )

And yes tsxguy00, it's already at a good price, I was just trying to maybe get a discount indirectly so the accessories would be a good compromise.

And YES! tsxguy00 brings up a great point...I have no idea what the heck I will be suckered into when I'm in that F&I room...all those insurances and warranties SOUND great...but windshield protection, paint protection, etc etc. It all can't be good for you.

Anyone with experience being offered these things and what did you guys/what do you think you should have done now that it's 20/20 hindsight?

you guys are really cool about this. Thanks again for helping out a newb buyer. I feel like the 40 y/o car buying virgin.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
When I bought mine new, they threw in the all-weather mats and mud guards without me having to ask. So I asked for the rear bumper aplique and got that free of charge as well.
philarious (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gonzo08452
When I bought mine new, they threw in the all-weather mats and mud guards without me having to ask. So I asked for the rear bumper aplique and got that free of charge as well.
I'll be sure to ask for all the free goodies I can get my hands on
Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Don't these usually come with a free maintenance package or am I kidding myself? It is probably dealer specific, but I could've sworn I saw under Acura's warranty that it has the free maintenance warranty. Tint I think I can get it cheaper and at a higher % than what they can offer (legal of course ;-] )

And yes tsxguy00, it's already at a good price, I was just trying to maybe get a discount indirectly so the accessories would be a good compromise.

And YES! tsxguy00 brings up a great point...I have no idea what the heck I will be suckered into when I'm in that F&I room...all those insurances and warranties SOUND great...but windshield protection, paint protection, etc etc. It all can't be good for you.

Anyone with experience being offered these things and what did you guys/what do you think you should have done now that it's 20/20 hindsight?

you guys are really cool about this. Thanks again for helping out a newb buyer. I feel like the 40 y/o car buying virgin.
No free maintenance is included, but you can always get maintenance done at a Honda dealer for a lower price, or determine what the real difference is between an oil change and an "A" service at your dealer (at mine they are the same - the A service just costs double.)

Look for "Saccucci Honda Acura warranty" in Googol. They don't sell extended warranties on CPO cars but it'll give you an idea about cost. Only the selling dealer can sell the extended CPO coverage.

Find a local detailer that does opti-coat - much better than the Cila-Jet or Auto Butler paint "protection" that the dealer will try to sell you.

Do you get lots of dings or curbed wheels? If not, the pass on the ding and wheel coverage and at 26k you should be able to pass on the gap insurance.

So, the only added benefit you may have at the F&I office is the extended warranty if you're into that stuff and you plan to keep your car.

As far as accessories, I had the dealer throw in the body side molding, splash guards and door edge molding along with the rubber mats - but - I'd pass on the door edge molding. It is hard to clean and looks a bit goofy. I'd ask for the body side molding and the splash guards though.

There is a new map coming out later this month so ask to get that upgraded when it hits the dealership - also ask to get all of the systems firm and software upgraded to the latest versions.

You'll want either the trunk mat or the trunk liner. If you regularly drag stuff over your bumper or have a dog that'll be back there then you'll want the liner - it has a fold out flap that covers the latch (to keep doggie paws from getting hurt) and the back bumper.

Go to Bernardi Acura and price out all of the accessories you might want before you go to the dealer. If they won't throw them in then ask them to beat the Bernardi price. Bernardi also has the installation PDFs online so you can see how difficult some are to install (body side molding PITA without proper tools, splash guard requires some disassembly).

Good luck and keep us posted. You might also want to tell us where you are so that we can tell you about regonal "stuff."
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
philarious (10-21-2013), WheelMcCoy (10-25-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
No free maintenance is included, but you can always get maintenance done at a Honda dealer for a lower price, or determine what the real difference is between an oil change and an "A" service at your dealer (at mine they are the same - the A service just costs double.)

Look for "Saccucci Honda Acura warranty" in Googol. They don't sell extended warranties on CPO cars but it'll give you an idea about cost. Only the selling dealer can sell the extended CPO coverage.

Find a local detailer that does opti-coat - much better than the Cila-Jet or Auto Butler paint "protection" that the dealer will try to sell you.

Do you get lots of dings or curbed wheels? If not, the pass on the ding and wheel coverage and at 26k you should be able to pass on the gap insurance.

So, the only added benefit you may have at the F&I office is the extended warranty if you're into that stuff and you plan to keep your car.

As far as accessories, I had the dealer throw in the body side molding, splash guards and door edge molding along with the rubber mats - but - I'd pass on the door edge molding. It is hard to clean and looks a bit goofy. I'd ask for the body side molding and the splash guards though.

There is a new map coming out later this month so ask to get that upgraded when it hits the dealership - also ask to get all of the systems firm and software upgraded to the latest versions.

You'll want either the trunk mat or the trunk liner. If you regularly drag stuff over your bumper or have a dog that'll be back there then you'll want the liner - it has a fold out flap that covers the latch (to keep doggie paws from getting hurt) and the back bumper.

Go to Bernardi Acura and price out all of the accessories you might want before you go to the dealer. If they won't throw them in then ask them to beat the Bernardi price. Bernardi also has the installation PDFs online so you can see how difficult some are to install (body side molding PITA without proper tools, splash guard requires some disassembly).

Good luck and keep us posted. You might also want to tell us where you are so that we can tell you about regonal "stuff."
Thanks for the advice. Very awesome tips.

UNFORTUNATELY! When I told them my ceiling price they took ALLLLLL the accessories away and all the BS warranties like tire warranty and nitrogen in the tires and DATA-DOT (something about theft?).

At first he was trying to sell me on all that stuff so I immediately pulled out my laptop and looked it up right when he mentioned all the "benefits" of nitrogen and that the extra money was for a warranty on the tires. I retorted that I could just go to discount tire and get the tire for less than what the warranty cost. I ended up declining the warranty immediately...both of them.

I asked them to add accessories and asked if they could throw at least some of them in for free. I asked for the body side molding, mud guards, cargo lining, all weather mats, and (sure why not) the cargo net. I was hoping to at least get the body side molding and mud guards....at the VERY least, throw in the cargo liner or mats?

Nope. I gave them my high-ceiling because I felt it was a fair OTD number but was even higher than my ceiling in my own mind. They took off all the accessories, all the BS warranties, and all the bells and whistles. No oil changes no nothing and they were still higher than my ceiling by $500. It was salt in the wound when I began to start the sentence "Could I at least get...(Interrupted)" , "NO, no nothing at all, no add ons. We have no room to give you anything, we have to pay for the car to get certified, you get a warranty already, we have no room to give you anything."

The extra $500 made it feel like I gave them an inch and they tried to take a yard. So It feels like I'm $1000 off from what I'm comfortable paying.

I didn't feel comfortable with the whole deal. It was still overall an OK deal, but how I was being treated and "car salesman-ed", that was disrespectful. I told them I don't feel comfortable even if it was "Just another 30 cents a day for 4 years" (their tactic), and I will wait to think about it.

Now I'm thinking, "I've got the cash to pull the trigger, have an excellent rate, but I guess I can wait it out another 2 years."

Thoughts? Am I being stubborn? Were they trying to fool me, or should I just take the deal. They won't do any deal with the accessories. they said I can pay for the parts myself and they will install them at $150/hr of work. EFFFFFFFF
Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Having worked Acura F&I a number of years ago, a "full wrap" CPO warrantee cost was about $295 for 2WD and $3-495 on AWD vehicles. CPO has 12 months/12,000 mi full warrantee, and the rest is powertrain warranty. I believe that $500 for the wrap is fair to F&I for a bit of profit and good protection to you for a full 7yr/100,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty. That's 7 years from when it was originally sold just like it's 100,000 since 0. You might ask for the "in service date" to see where the 7 years starts from, but that's of really minimal concern. I'd even wait to check on that after you've secured your deal so that you don't come across as a nagging, beat you down customer. People talk about how horrible sales people are, but it's a two way street, and "enthusiasts" tend to be among the worst having received advice on boards like this.

This idea of throwing in accessories for free is crap. It still costs money and the markup is quite low. It is a bigger hassle for sales because then they have to deal with Parts department or Service to get them installed. Make the deal easy for them, not complicated, if you want the price to drop. If you weren't planning to get an accessory anyways, would you rather have the money or the thing you didn't care about in the first place. Some places have it "thrown in free" because management is forcing them to add it to all vehicles in effort to increase Parts Dept. sales. It is a nuisance to Sales and becomes just another cost that many times just eats at the already minimal profit.

OK, I wrote all of that before reading you last post. Yes, it does sound like you are being stubborn. It sounds like they got to the point of frustration because they were against a wall. Refer to my advice about accessories above. If you wait 2 years, the used car factory won't be making any 10,000 mile TSX wagons with a 6yr/90,000mi additional warranty. At some point you have to decide if you entered in the search actually wanting a vehicle or if you're only interested if you can steal it. Sales people get jaded with getting jerked off- jumping through all of the hoops when the person wasn't that serious anyways or turns out to not be able to afford the car in the first place. If you can only just barely afford a car, you can't afford that car. If you can afford the car, be reasonable. I would like to think that buyers don't want to steal the car; they just don't want to feel like they got taken, and at the above deal, I don't think you are. That said, it's not my money.
philarious (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Racer

Jaded salesman jokes heard all from the same individual:

"If you're looking for a good buy, goodbye."
"Next time you're driving by, please do."
"Why don't you bring your wife in, and then we'll dick 'er?"
"That ___ is as ugly as a bucket full of dicks." (OK, not car related, but the same person said it.)
Another individual didn't know the cars well and gave the 3C Delivery Process: See the car, See the key, See ya later.

other wisdoms:
"there's a butt for every seat"
"the used car factory doesn't make the exact car you want"
"Used cars all come with the ____ state warranty. If it breaks into two halves down the road, you own both halves." (unless there is factory or 3rd party backed extended warranty, the dealer is OBLIGATED to nothing beyond previous agreed work.)
The following 2 users liked this post by PPower:
gonzo08452 (10-25-2013), philarious (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PPower
Having worked Acura F&I a number of years ago, a "full wrap" CPO warrantee cost was about $295 for 2WD and $3-495 on AWD vehicles. CPO has 12 months/12,000 mi full warrantee, and the rest is powertrain warranty. I believe that $500 for the wrap is fair to F&I for a bit of profit and good protection to you for a full 7yr/100,000 mile "bumper to bumper" warranty. That's 7 years from when it was originally sold just like it's 100,000 since 0. You might ask for the "in service date" to see where the 7 years starts from, but that's of really minimal concern. I'd even wait to check on that after you've secured your deal so that you don't come across as a nagging, beat you down customer. People talk about how horrible sales people are, but it's a two way street, and "enthusiasts" tend to be among the worst having received advice on boards like this.

This idea of throwing in accessories for free is crap. It still costs money and the markup is quite low. It is a bigger hassle for sales because then they have to deal with Parts department or Service to get them installed. Make the deal easy for them, not complicated, if you want the price to drop. If you weren't planning to get an accessory anyways, would you rather have the money or the thing you didn't care about in the first place. Some places have it "thrown in free" because management is forcing them to add it to all vehicles in effort to increase Parts Dept. sales. It is a nuisance to Sales and becomes just another cost that many times just eats at the already minimal profit.

OK, I wrote all of that before reading you last post. Yes, it does sound like you are being stubborn. It sounds like they got to the point of frustration because they were against a wall. Refer to my advice about accessories above. If you wait 2 years, the used car factory won't be making any 10,000 mile TSX wagons with a 6yr/90,000mi additional warranty. At some point you have to decide if you entered in the search actually wanting a vehicle or if you're only interested if you can steal it. Sales people get jaded with getting jerked off- jumping through all of the hoops when the person wasn't that serious anyways or turns out to not be able to afford the car in the first place. If you can only just barely afford a car, you can't afford that car. If you can afford the car, be reasonable. I would like to think that buyers don't want to steal the car; they just don't want to feel like they got taken, and at the above deal, I don't think you are. That said, it's not my money.
Thanks for the insight and comments! I think it got more emotional for me than logical, because he was interrupting me and trying to throw some warranties on me to see if it would stick. The accessories thing, I showed them the bernardi prices and they said their costs are much higher and they can't compete. How is it more costly for the dealership than bernardi? I just want to learn how the auto industry works :-]

I am stubborn, but with me holding the ~$30k, I have a little right to be I have always had a "lock jawed" wallet so shelling out this much money, anything can deter me from making the purchase. I'll sleep it off and see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks again for the insight. I'm actually looking at a Subaru Forester 2.0XT now. I found one with good mileage and reasonable pricing. But I'm still thinking about the Acura for sure.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the insight and comments! I think it got more emotional for me than logical, because he was interrupting me and trying to throw some warranties on me to see if it would stick. The accessories thing, I showed them the bernardi prices and they said their costs are much higher and they can't compete. How is it more costly for the dealership than bernardi? I just want to learn how the auto industry works :-]

I am stubborn, but with me holding the ~$30k, I have a little right to be I have always had a "lock jawed" wallet so shelling out this much money, anything can deter me from making the purchase. I'll sleep it off and see how I feel in the morning.

Thanks again for the insight. I'm actually looking at a Subaru Forester 2.0XT now. I found one with good mileage and reasonable pricing. But I'm still thinking about the Acura for sure.
Bummer to hear about your experience. My F&I experience went pretty well and felt organized. They had a conveyer belt of things to offer me but it felt logical and we focused just on one thing at a time (at least I only allowed myself to discuss one thing at a time, recalculate the payments and then we moved onto the next thing).

Some things like the clear coat protection and leather guard didn't seem worth it because I clean and detail my cars religiously. Seems like a good deal if you don't plan to be OCD about your car in that way. Looking back I do wish I had gotten the clear bra on the bumper though. On the other hand for the price I could just pay someone to airbrush the paint chips if/when it becomes a problem.

I showed extreme hesitation on the warranty (I never let them know my total price I wanted to spend) and they seemed willing to drop a few hundred off on a whim. Maybe a sales tactic as perhaps the warranty was a few hundred over priced already? I got the free shift knob at the very end when I said "throw in a shift knob and it's a deal" well after we discussed the accessories. I figured on a lower cost and easy to install item they'd be more willing to do it versus say taking a few hundred off the steering wheel or interior trim pieces.

Was my first time buying a car and it was definitely an interesting experience. I probably didn't get that amazing "I took the dealer to the cleaners" deal but I think I came out alright, especially since I didn't have to resort to games like leaving and then calling back to haggle a deal, only to require further phone calls and visits to other competing dealers, etc.

Last edited by tsxguy00; 10-22-2013 at 12:41 AM.
philarious (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Cruisin'

I took a look at the bernardi site. Never been there before and I don't know much about it, but it seems to be they're just an internet website selling Acura goods? If so, I can see why their prices are so low. Like Amazon, they benefit from not having sales tax and lower cost overheads that a dealer otherwise wouldn't enjoy. Also, you do have to account for installation on these parts. The accessory price lists at my dealer also included the installation costs, which will naturally be higher than an online store site since you're on your own to pay for installation or install yourself.

Couldn't add this to my original post but about the warranties and stuff they offered you... It's something they probably have to do. Like when you're at the movie theater and you ordered a soda and popcorn and then they ask you if you want candy. It's just basic upselling. Of course the idea is to see whether or not it sticks and for some people it does, and for others it doesn't. After seeing the condition of my trade in (excellent shape) and just general discussions between my sales person and F&I person, I could tell they had a sense as to which ones to push and not. Naturally they didn't push the protectants as much since they knew I already took great care of the appearance of my car. But they still have to bring it up.

Last edited by tsxguy00; 10-22-2013 at 01:03 AM.
philarious (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 AM
wagon owner

You can use that deal as a starting point at a different dealer and maybe go 2012 new still on the lot.

You can always (if you have the confidence and its not easy) ask that your salesman bring in the sales manager to see if a deal can be reached...usually they like to leave you in the office while they go out to his office, they bullsht a while, and comes back saying he won't budge.

More deals fall through during the sales process at many points along the way than deals getting done
philarious (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tsxguy00
I took a look at the bernardi site. Never been there before and I don't know much about it, but it seems to be they're just an internet website selling Acura goods? If so, I can see why their prices are so low. Like Amazon, they benefit from not having sales tax and lower cost overheads that a dealer otherwise wouldn't enjoy. Also, you do have to account for installation on these parts. The accessory price lists at my dealer also included the installation costs, which will naturally be higher than an online store site since you're on your own to pay for installation or install yourself.

Couldn't add this to my original post but about the warranties and stuff they offered you... It's something they probably have to do. Like when you're at the movie theater and you ordered a soda and popcorn and then they ask you if you want candy. It's just basic upselling. Of course the idea is to see whether or not it sticks and for some people it does, and for others it doesn't. After seeing the condition of my trade in (excellent shape) and just general discussions between my sales person and F&I person, I could tell they had a sense as to which ones to push and not. Naturally they didn't push the protectants as much since they knew I already took great care of the appearance of my car. But they still have to bring it up.
Bernardi is a brick and mortar mega dealer (Acura, Audi, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen) that has learned to add additional sales by selling via the internet. They have the same overhead as any other dealer (if not more) but make it up in volume sales.
philarious (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

PPower has been on both sides of the table - but he seems to have been drinking too much Kool-Aid on the other side.

Dealers have a hard time because for every sale they have lots of tire kickers and goofballs that can't be financed, but a good dealer should be able to determine if a customer is serious and can determine quickly if a customer is credit worthy - most have been surprised that a customer IS credit worthy rather than the other way around.

That said, you weren't unreasonable - the dealer sounds like they were acting like idiots - but - it was a good price already and there may not be much in there for them to reduce further.

You may also want to differentiate between those accessories that are "parts only" (floor and trunk mats, cargo nets) and parts (side molding) that need installation and therefore require the service department in addition to the parts department.

Bernardi parts PDFs give you approximate install times so you can either say "I'll pay for the parts if you pay for the labor" or "I'll pay labor at your cost up to $XX" or some variant of that.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with PPower that you should only ask for accessories that you actually want.

When I bought my latest wagon a few days ago, I got a trade price from a dealer who knew the exact condition of my trade. I also went to a few other dealers and negotiated a price via email for the new car with the accessories I wanted (side body molding, splash guards, rear bumper applique). I them made a deal with the original dealer who beat the price by a couple of hundred and moved some of my minor mods (interior LEDs, wheels) to the new car.

The F&I guy offered to match the warranty price from Saccucci Honda but couldn't add the maintenance package, so I passed.

I shouldn't be confrontational but a Forester isn't even close to being in the same league.
philarious (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
PPower has been on both sides of the table - but he seems to have been drinking too much Kool-Aid on the other side.

Dealers have a hard time because for every sale they have lots of tire kickers and goofballs that can't be financed, but a good dealer should be able to determine if a customer is serious and can determine quickly if a customer is credit worthy - most have been surprised that a customer IS credit worthy rather than the other way around.

That said, you weren't unreasonable - the dealer sounds like they were acting like idiots - but - it was a good price already and there may not be much in there for them to reduce further.

You may also want to differentiate between those accessories that are "parts only" (floor and trunk mats, cargo nets) and parts (side molding) that need installation and therefore require the service department in addition to the parts department.

Bernardi parts PDFs give you approximate install times so you can either say "I'll pay for the parts if you pay for the labor" or "I'll pay labor at your cost up to $XX" or some variant of that.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with PPower that you should only ask for accessories that you actually want.

When I bought my latest wagon a few days ago, I got a trade price from a dealer who knew the exact condition of my trade. I also went to a few other dealers and negotiated a price via email for the new car with the accessories I wanted (side body molding, splash guards, rear bumper applique). I them made a deal with the original dealer who beat the price by a couple of hundred and moved some of my minor mods (interior LEDs, wheels) to the new car.

The F&I guy offered to match the warranty price from Saccucci Honda but couldn't add the maintenance package, so I passed.

I shouldn't be confrontational but a Forester isn't even close to being in the same league.
I came into the dealership with an approval with 1.99% and they said they wouldn't even to be able to beat that so they knew I was serious. The only reason I added all those other things for accessories was because the sales guy said it didnt hurt to ask for everything. hahah, evidently I got nothing. What I was really shooting for was the body side moldings and splash guards because I don't want to have to install anything.

And yeah...i woke up this morning still wanting the car. But because the way they spoke to me and going $500 over my ceiling kind of is influencing me to hold on to my junker car.

It sucks because I jumped through all the hoops of getting insurance quoted and car financing to end up with nothing. I left the dealership a bit sour.

I'm just at an impasse right now and maybe I can wait for a few more days. i just checked the price again online and they jacked it up a whole $1000. Maybe they knew i would look and get scared...if so, it worked, but not enough for me to come crawling back, hahaha. To me...if that were a sale's tactic, I hate being "sold" to. Be honest with me because and extra $500 out of my pocket is worth a lot more than an extra $500 out of the dealership's pocket. When i was in sale's I showed a potential customer that he doesnt need this specific software because there was a free-ware that he could use and test out to see if it met his needs. If it didn't then he could certainly come back and purchase the other one. I lost $ in commission, but he saved $800 dollars, and to me, it was more right to let him know. He ended up being the owner of a chain of restaurants in Houston and gave me his b-card to let me eat there for free. hahah, win!

Thanks for the advice ceb! I'll let you know in a couple days whether it sold to me or sold to someone else, or if it just sits in the lot
Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
Completely disagree. Most everybody CAN be financed, but it's a matter of if they really are prepared to take on the payment. A good dealer does nothing to determine if a customer is credit worthy as a good salesperson works on the assumption that they can be approved. The bad ones are the ones that write off a person without knowing. Nobody asks for a SS number to pull credit unless the customer comes in saying they have had credit issues. In that case, you can pull credit to see what they can be approved for and work backwards from there. In a "luxury" dealership, that doesn't happen often.

I will say that Acura more than other luxury brands get more shoppers that want want that step up to a luxury brand but are still transitioning and want Honda prices. That is due to Acura's problem of brand positioning, but it is also reinforced from the good/bad of not offering a ton of individual options. It is very easy to cross shop TSX when you just need to verify color and tech or no tech. There are more model variances than there used to be, but it makes it fairly easy to find multiples of the exact vehicle at different dealers and then play each other against the middle. Great for the customer, difficult for the dealer. Try finding two Mini Coopers exactly the same.

Bernardi is a huge dealership and more importantly, a huge parts department that focuses on internet volume sales. Cost is different because the cost to Sales Dept. is different than the true cost to Parts Dept. Parts manager is paid on sales, so he/she isn't giving away product for no profit. Also, even floor mats have a required cost from Service Dept for installation. Yes, even floor mats. It's ****ing dumb. For these reasons, I find it easier to get parts elsewhere if you want absolute lowest dollar or pay a bit more at your dealer for 1) convenience of all being rolled into financing and 2) all ready to go when you take delivery. I still stand by the idea that the easier you make it on the dealer to make a quick deal, the more incentive they have to make it a sweet deal. Same reason why they may give a better deal for an in stock unit instead of having to order or dealer trade a vehicle.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:44 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I came into the dealership with an approval with 1.99% and they said they wouldn't even to be able to beat that so they knew I was serious. The only reason I added all those other things for accessories was because the sales guy said it didnt hurt to ask for everything. hahah, evidently I got nothing. What I was really shooting for was the body side moldings and splash guards because I don't want to have to install anything.

And yeah...i woke up this morning still wanting the car. But because the way they spoke to me and going $500 over my ceiling kind of is influencing me to hold on to my junker car.

It sucks because I jumped through all the hoops of getting insurance quoted and car financing to end up with nothing. I left the dealership a bit sour.

I'm just at an impasse right now and maybe I can wait for a few more days. i just checked the price again online and they jacked it up a whole $1000. Maybe they knew i would look and get scared...if so, it worked, but not enough for me to come crawling back, hahaha. To me...if that were a sale's tactic, I hate being "sold" to. Be honest with me because and extra $500 out of my pocket is worth a lot more than an extra $500 out of the dealership's pocket. When i was in sale's I showed a potential customer that he doesnt need this specific software because there was a free-ware that he could use and test out to see if it met his needs. If it didn't then he could certainly come back and purchase the other one. I lost $ in commission, but he saved $800 dollars, and to me, it was more right to let him know. He ended up being the owner of a chain of restaurants in Houston and gave me his b-card to let me eat there for free. hahah, win!

Thanks for the advice ceb! I'll let you know in a couple days whether it sold to me or sold to someone else, or if it just sits in the lot
You can always find a reason to walk through the dealership just to jog their memory. Perhaps you need a price quote from the parts department on a set of wigets for a friend's Acura. Then you are thirsty of course so you grab a bottle of water from the cooler in the showroom. When the salesman sees you they'll come over and you can go from there.
philarious (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Racer

Be honest with me because and extra $500 out of my pocket is worth a lot more than an extra $500 out of the dealership's pocket. When i was in sale's I showed a potential customer that he doesnt need this specific software because there was a free-ware that he could use and test out to see if it met his needs. If it didn't then he could certainly come back and purchase the other one. I lost $ in commission, but he saved $800 dollars, and to me, it was more right to let him know. He ended up being the owner of a chain of restaurants in Houston and gave me his b-card to let me eat there for free. hahah, win!
I agree and disagree with this. It is $500 total out of your pocket, so that is personal. OTOH, the dealer has fixed costs, and you are not necessarily at a fixed ceiling. At the price you are at, the salesperson will get a fixed "mini" commission. He has all the incentive to get the price down to whatever it takes to get the sale done. Using your analogy, a car salesperson should drive most people away telling them that their current car serves their car just fine, and they don't need a new one. Please come back when you do. A general sales commission works like this: Invoice + a dealer cost of $400-1200) becomes "cost". Sales will get 25% of anything over that or (in my old pay plan) $100, whichever was higher. Therefore, it took a sale of $900 over invoice just to make $125. I would rather get a quick sale and move on knowing that it would probably be a mini commission anyways. Now, you are dealing with a used car which complicates things further because used car dealers are expected to have much higher profit margins than new cars. Factor in the question of how much a TSX wagon costed at auction + transportation + service (even when it needed nothing), and you are going to have a hard time assuming their cost on the car. Only Honda/Acura dealers can now buy from Honda Finance at auctions, and those dealers are required to Certify any vehicle that falls into the parameters. Therefore, a dealer can't buy a 5,000 mile car from Acura and say, this thing doesn't even need the extra warranty it's so new! Nope, they MUST have the added costs of certification in Service Dept and warranty. I hate dealing with used cars. PITA to me, but this is still a good deal over buying new.

In the end, it sounds like you got them down to their end of the line. You didn't like their tone at the end, and they were probably frustrated with you and in trying to be firm made you mad. The good thing is that you know that you have them down as far as they will go. So it goes to this: do you have a fixed price that you just can't pay above, or do you just want to make sure you are getting a good deal. If you have a fixed price, where are you basing the numbers? If you are just pulling a round number out of the sky, you should re-evaluate your position to see if your number is quantitatively justified or not.
philarious (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Completely disagree. Most everybody CAN be financed, but it's a matter of if they really are prepared to take on the payment. A good dealer does nothing to determine if a customer is credit worthy as a good salesperson works on the assumption that they can be approved. The bad ones are the ones that write off a person without knowing. Nobody asks for a SS number to pull credit unless the customer comes in saying they have had credit issues. In that case, you can pull credit to see what they can be approved for and work backwards from there. In a "luxury" dealership, that doesn't happen often.

I will say that Acura more than other luxury brands get more shoppers that want want that step up to a luxury brand but are still transitioning and want Honda prices. That is due to Acura's problem of brand positioning, but it is also reinforced from the good/bad of not offering a ton of individual options. It is very easy to cross shop TSX when you just need to verify color and tech or no tech. There are more model variances than there used to be, but it makes it fairly easy to find multiples of the exact vehicle at different dealers and then play each other against the middle. Great for the customer, difficult for the dealer. Try finding two Mini Coopers exactly the same.

Bernardi is a huge dealership and more importantly, a huge parts department that focuses on internet volume sales. Cost is different because the cost to Sales Dept. is different than the true cost to Parts Dept. Parts manager is paid on sales, so he/she isn't giving away product for no profit. Also, even floor mats have a required cost from Service Dept for installation. Yes, even floor mats. It's ****ing dumb. For these reasons, I find it easier to get parts elsewhere if you want absolute lowest dollar or pay a bit more at your dealer for 1) convenience of all being rolled into financing and 2) all ready to go when you take delivery. I still stand by the idea that the easier you make it on the dealer to make a quick deal, the more incentive they have to make it a sweet deal. Same reason why they may give a better deal for an in stock unit instead of having to order or dealer trade a vehicle.
Of course everyone can be financed - at 80% down and 23% interest for 30 years.

A good salesman can determine how serious a customer is within a few minutes and they don't need a SSN to figure out if a customer can be financed at a reasonable rate.

Here, we had a pre-approved customer wanting to get a good price on the car - why treat him like something stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

Last week we bought my wife a new car. Dealer A (where we bought the last car and had it regularly serviced) played the "we can't sell it for less than..." game until we said "but we have a USAA quote from your dealership" when the price miraculously dropped to below the USAA price. We left being $500 apart on the trade.

We then drove a few miles to another dealer, verified they had the car is stock (heard the "this is the only one in the area, they are so hard to come by" spiel) and we gave them the keys to appraise. When the rep came back, I said to him "We'll make this easy, beat dealer A's price by $500 and you have a deal." After a half hour of "it's too low, we can't do it, my manager will have a stroke," I said "can we have our keys back please" when all of a sudden they could do the deal and we drove out of there later that day in the new car.

Why do dealers feel the need to play a game all the time. If a customer brings a reasonable deal then they should say "great, let's do a quick sale and move on to the next customer."
philarious (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

I agree and disagree with this. It is $500 total out of your pocket, so that is personal. OTOH, the dealer has fixed costs, and you are not necessarily at a fixed ceiling. At the price you are at, the salesperson will get a fixed "mini" commission. He has all the incentive to get the price down to whatever it takes to get the sale done. Using your analogy, a car salesperson should drive most people away telling them that their current car serves their car just fine, and they don't need a new one. Please come back when you do. A general sales commission works like this: Invoice + a dealer cost of $400-1200) becomes "cost". Sales will get 25% of anything over that or (in my old pay plan) $100, whichever was higher. Therefore, it took a sale of $900 over invoice just to make $125. I would rather get a quick sale and move on knowing that it would probably be a mini commission anyways. Now, you are dealing with a used car which complicates things further because used car dealers are expected to have much higher profit margins than new cars. Factor in the question of how much a TSX wagon costed at auction + transportation + service (even when it needed nothing), and you are going to have a hard time assuming their cost on the car. Only Honda/Acura dealers can now buy from Honda Finance at auctions, and those dealers are required to Certify any vehicle that falls into the parameters. Therefore, a dealer can't buy a 5,000 mile car from Acura and say, this thing doesn't even need the extra warranty it's so new! Nope, they MUST have the added costs of certification in Service Dept and warranty. I hate dealing with used cars. PITA to me, but this is still a good deal over buying new.

In the end, it sounds like you got them down to their end of the line. You didn't like their tone at the end, and they were probably frustrated with you and in trying to be firm made you mad. The good thing is that you know that you have them down as far as they will go. So it goes to this: do you have a fixed price that you just can't pay above, or do you just want to make sure you are getting a good deal. If you have a fixed price, where are you basing the numbers? If you are just pulling a round number out of the sky, you should re-evaluate your position to see if your number is quantitatively justified or not.
I tried to negotiate even better by saying split the difference at $250 over what i was willing to pay and throw in some mats. I felt that was fair. My tone and attitude were very respectful. I work as a consultant so we're taught that "it's not what you say, it's how you say it". They could've easily told me less rudely that there isn't any possible way they could have made the deal any lower, but instead they were short and rude.

And i think you took my analogy a little far, but I can see where you're coming from. As always there are extremes to both ends, it's to find the balance. Maybe $500 was too low for them, but I got my number from market demand, how many available, my financing, how much I was going to be putting down, possible resale devaluation due to discontinuation, and above all, it put my mind at ease. Because sometimes, as stupid as it may sound, just feeling good about it is enough.

I'll have to wait it out because my sale's guy is out tomorrow and I'm celebrating an anniversary today. If it's there when I'm feeling better about the situation then I can proceed forward. So far, not feeling great. I had expected at least a phone call from them asking me what i was thinking. They pulled my credit and their finance guy said I'm getting the best rates possible so I'm good for it. i just don't think they value my business. We shall see!

Thanks for the input regarding the commission structure and bernardi pricing.!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
Of course everyone can be financed - at 80% down and 23% interest for 30 years.

A good salesman can determine how serious a customer is within a few minutes and they don't need a SSN to figure out if a customer can be financed at a reasonable rate.

Here, we had a pre-approved customer wanting to get a good price on the car - why treat him like something stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

Last week we bought my wife a new car. Dealer A (where we bought the last car and had it regularly serviced) played the "we can't sell it for less than..." game until we said "but we have a USAA quote from your dealership" when the price miraculously dropped to below the USAA price. We left being $500 apart on the trade.

We then drove a few miles to another dealer, verified they had the car is stock (heard the "this is the only one in the area, they are so hard to come by" spiel) and we gave them the keys to appraise. When the rep came back, I said to him "We'll make this easy, beat dealer A's price by $500 and you have a deal." After a half hour of "it's too low, we can't do it, my manager will have a stroke," I said "can we have our keys back please" when all of a sudden they could do the deal and we drove out of there later that day in the new car.

Why do dealers feel the need to play a game all the time. If a customer brings a reasonable deal then they should say "great, let's do a quick sale and move on to the next customer."
LOL, "Can't sell it for less" and "this one is the only one in the area"! Heard both of them!! Now I feel like any other customer
Old 10-22-2013, 05:13 PM
wagon owner

First thing: This has turned into a really interesting thread.
2nd thing: Wait them out a bit. Car ain't going anywhere...especially if they jacked it up.
3rd thing: If youre not comfortable with the deal, don't do it
4th thing: But if u keep cars a long time, I'd say 500 prorated over the life of the car and lots of miles really shouldn't keep u from owning it if you cant find a better deal.

I walked from a dealer i wanted to buy the car from (100 miles away) and bought one from a dealer 400 miles away (granted i drive there a lot...but still)
The following 2 users liked this post by kball:
philarious (10-25-2013), PPower (10-22-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kball
First thing: This has turned into a really interesting thread.
2nd thing: Wait them out a bit. Car ain't going anywhere...especially if they jacked it up.
3rd thing: If youre not comfortable with the deal, don't do it
4th thing: But if u keep cars a long time, I'd say 500 prorated over the life of the car and lots of miles really shouldn't keep u from owning it if you cant find a better deal.

I walked from a dealer i wanted to buy the car from (100 miles away) and bought one from a dealer 400 miles away (granted i drive there a lot...but still)
LOL, I walked from this particular dealer and found another 300 miles away. They're much better, car has plenty of accessories, and it's cheaper! Flying out there tomorrow and will update a new thread or this thread with a picture
Old 10-25-2013, 11:39 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

LOL, I walked from this particular dealer and found another 300 miles away. They're much better, car has plenty of accessories, and it's cheaper! Flying out there tomorrow and will update a new thread or this thread with a picture
Good luck. What color?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
Good luck. What color?
Forged Silver. No one is giving up a graphite one :-[ but I like the silver in certain shades. I know it can give off a blue hue sometimes, but I think strapping on some type-s wheels or similar dark grey/ebony wheels would look real nice with it.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Forged Silver. No one is giving up a graphite one :-[ but I like the silver in certain shades. I know it can give off a blue hue sometimes, but I think strapping on some type-s wheels or similar dark grey/ebony wheels would look real nice with it.

Thanks!
The forged silver is an odd color. I considered it initially (and would take it over black) but it needs something to make it "pop." Wheels maybe or perhaps black trim bits.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Go for it! You will love the car! Life is short and it is only money? I love my 2011 GLM
Spt Wagon. It is one of the nicest cars I've owned. It isn't as connected as my M3 was, but it sure is a lot more reliable and cheaper to own. The Progress sway is worth the price of admission too.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Interesting thread!

Does the wagon of interest, or any CPO for that matter, have all the TSBs applied? I'm just thinking of the bluetooth module. My 2012 TSX Wagon would sometimes get amnesia and forget the paired devices. There's a TSB on it and I've had the bluetooth module upgraded at the dealer (no charge), but the wagon still forgets now and then.

Just something the OP should ask about.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did u get the silver Wagon?

Thanks!
Just curious. What price did u pay for the Silver Wagon?

Quick Reply: Need some confirmation: 2012 TSX wagon with tech