Need help with brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help with brake pads

I want to change the brake pads and i am looking towards the EBC redstuff pads. I just wanted to know if they would be okay to put on with the OEM rotors or should i have to get the EBC rotors as well? and will it have an effect on my lease? i dont want to put them on and go in for service and have them tell me that they can't because i put an aftermarket product.

Feedback greatly appreciated.

Best, LBTSX09
Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake pads alone should not effect your lease.

If your OEM rotors are still in good shape you should be able to use them. However you will want to have them resurfaced. Pads naturally deposit a layer of material onto the rotor, and you won't want to have the old pad material on the rotor when installing new pads.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
If you were to, for example, make a claim for rotors to be replaced as 'faulty' they might give you some push-back on account of the aftermarket pads. In order to deny your claim, they'd have to prove, *in writing* that the aftermarket pads caused the failure of the component you're wanting warranted.

Google the Magnusson-Moss Act. It dictates a manufacturer can't deny a warranty claim exclusively on account of the presence of aftermarket parts.

I've not used the EBC Green, Yellow or Red pads, but the only thing I'd recommend is that you use new rotors or at least have them 'turned' to give a fresh, naked steel mating surface for the new pads. Also, please verify minimum thickness against the measurement that's cast into the back of the rotor.

Don't forget to re-use or use new pad shims, lubricate the caliper pins, slides and use new hardware for the slides. You can find the appropriate lube, hardware & adhesive at any auto parts store.

(I haven't done brakes on this car yet, I'm assuming they are a two-piece caliper with caliper pins and not a monoblock with no pins.)
Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
If you were to, for example, make a claim for rotors to be replaced as 'faulty' they might give you some push-back on account of the aftermarket pads. In order to deny your claim, they'd have to prove, *in writing* that the aftermarket pads caused the failure of the component you're wanting warranted.

Google the Magnusson-Moss Act. It dictates a manufacturer can't deny a warranty claim exclusively on account of the presence of aftermarket parts.

I've not used the EBC Green, Yellow or Red pads, but the only thing I'd recommend is that you use new rotors or at least have them 'turned' to give a fresh, naked steel mating surface for the new pads. Also, please verify minimum thickness against the measurement that's cast into the back of the rotor.

Don't forget to re-use or use new pad shims, lubricate the caliper pins, slides and use new hardware for the slides. You can find the appropriate lube, hardware & adhesive at any auto parts store.

(I haven't done brakes on this car yet, I'm assuming they are a two-piece caliper with caliper pins and not a monoblock with no pins.)
Depending on the pad, shims may already be clipped on or riveted onto the backing plate.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the past I have used EBC "green stuff" pads and rotors on my 01 CL-S.
They held up much better than stock.
Just my opinion. Green stuff pads are a little better for day to day driving.
They will tend to last longer than yellow or green.
You give up a little performance, but I assume you don't want to change the pads a s often since it is a lease.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:52 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also had the Greenstuff pads with EBC slotted and dimpled rotors on my CL-S and it was like night and day.. That was the only time my rotors DID not warp in the 10 years I had my CL-S and the breaking was noticably better.. If u are going to go with the pads JUST invest the extra $200 and get the rotors with them!