Need All Weather Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:41 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Need All Weather Car Cover

Hey guys,

So my garage is filled with crap after some remodeling at the house, I am always making an attempt to clean it out, but it's taking me much longer than I would prefer.

I am on the market for a car cover, something which can be used all year round and is great for rain, snow and sun protection. Please share some of your experiences. I have used Honda covers in the past, but they are only good for indoor protecting as dust covers since they are not water proof.

I have looked on eBay, and the web, and tried a few covers sold at Walmart and so far has to return everything, either because of the size or quality.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I've never used a car cover but Acura's looks pretty good. Expensive too....

http://www.acura.com/Accessories.asp....track.c.false
Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I have used Covercraft Weathersheild HD covers in the past and they are great. They are very waterproof and do a great job of protecting the car from the sun. I have had 4 of them for various cars and have always been very happy with them. I also like that you can wash them in a large home washing machine.

However, they are very expensive (~$400). I recently bought a cover for the TSX but I am trying out the "Ultratect" material this time. This is also made by Covercraft but is about 1/2 the price of the Weathershield HD material. I received the cover only last week so I cannot give it much of a review. But it does seem to be very good. This material is a little lighter but not much. It even has a nice little "pouch" in the roof to accomodate the shark fin antennae.

I also think Covercraft are the only covers to buy. They are always very well made and fit perfectly.

BTW - I had a Weathershield cover (not the "HD" version) that was not good. The material is too thin and light. It was almost impossible to put on the car in even the slightest breeze.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Forced Induction

Originally Posted by rdevillers
I have used Covercraft Weathersheild HD covers in the past and they are great. They are very waterproof and do a great job of protecting the car from the sun. I have had 4 of them for various cars and have always been very happy with them. I also like that you can wash them in a large home washing machine.

However, they are very expensive (~$400). I recently bought a cover for the TSX but I am trying out the "Ultratect" material this time. This is also made by Covercraft but is about 1/2 the price of the Weathershield HD material. I received the cover only last week so I cannot give it much of a review. But it does seem to be very good. This material is a little lighter but not much. It even has a nice little "pouch" in the roof to accomodate the shark fin antennae.

I also think Covercraft are the only covers to buy. They are always very well made and fit perfectly.

BTW - I had a Weathershield cover (not the "HD" version) that was not good. The material is too thin and light. It was almost impossible to put on the car in even the slightest breeze.
Thanks for the info, please come back with a full review when you get some more use of the cover. Do you generally store the cover in the trunk of the car? And which size did you buy for your TSX?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Forced Induction

Originally Posted by ressling
I've never used a car cover but Acura's looks pretty good. Expensive too....

http://www.acura.com/Accessories.asp....track.c.false
Like I said, Honda or OEM covers are generally dust covers, they are NOT all weather covers.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I've had the Wolf blue (standard, not all weather) and I've had the Evolution material (breatheable but water resistant, if that makes sense.) They surely have newer materials since I had those, though. The custom fit ones are the way to go.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadLock
Thanks for the info, please come back with a full review when you get some more use of the cover. Do you generally store the cover in the trunk of the car? And which size did you buy for your TSX?
So far I really like the new cover with the "Ultratect" material. It is easy to put on and take off and is reasonably compact. It is only slightly lighter than the much more expensive "Weathershield HD" covers. It has not rained so I cannot attest to it's water repelling capability. But it is definitely dust proof.

Yes - I store the cover in the trunk 99% of the time that it is not on the car. I carry a garden trash bag in the trunk so I can put the cover in it if the cover gets really wet.