My TSX took a (minor) hit =/

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Robbie D.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TSX took a (minor) hit =/

I was in the parking lot of the Marriot yesterday leaving a conference. There was a line to pay for the parking and leave and there was a white prius in front me. I notice his back lights turn on and the dude starts backing up (for no reason at all), I blast the horn and start yelling and cant backup because I'll hit the guy behind me and BAM. The guy just backs right into me.

There was no serious damage other than my license plate frame getting hurt and some scratches on the bumper behind the frame.

The prius got more damage than my tsx with a couple of dents left from the screws on my front plate.

im mainly pissed that my car is 5 days old and it got hit by a driver who cant pay attention.

who backs up without looking behind them in a crowded parking lot when everyones trying to leave?

anyway he said he'll pay for any damages and doesnt wanna go through insurance.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
wow!!! that sucks big time...5 days old and already an accident. Atleast the dude is being decent about it
Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Banned

I'm not sure what to do in a situation where someone wants to sidestep insurance. Suppose they say they'll mail you $250 for the new rink roink, then fail to do so, aren't you pretty much screwed at that point for having failed to handle the whole thing "properly" in the first place? Will the insurance company refuse to fix damage if you sit on it for a couple weeks waiting for a check from the motorist that never comes? Is it too late to get the police involved two weeks after the fact?
Old 05-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn that sucks. Now might be a good time to get that aero bumper.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Racer

wowow that sucks!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
People are so freaking stupid sometimes.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
fo shoo
Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Damn that sucks. Now might be a good time to get that aero bumper
Old 05-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
I heard it's cheaper to get the pre-painted aero bumper online (or if your dealer matches online prices) than it is to purchase the standard bumper and the pay the body shop to paint and install it. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Advanced

holy crap! that's the exact same thing that happened to me! I was like the 3rd car at a red, a prius in front of me. I guess at the last minute he decides to go into the parking garage on the side, and starts reversing. I was driving my integra at the time which had the Hella two-tone 110dB horn, and the idiot kept reversing til he made contact. His excuse was "The visibility isnt very good". My response was: if the design sucked, don't buy it! Had no major damage... took $100 from the guy.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Pro

The lesson from all of this: Prius owners have no idea how to drive.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Robbie D.

I'm not sure what to do in a situation where someone wants to sidestep insurance. Suppose they say they'll mail you $250 for the new rink roink, then fail to do so, aren't you pretty much screwed at that point for having failed to handle the whole thing "properly" in the first place? Will the insurance company refuse to fix damage if you sit on it for a couple weeks waiting for a check from the motorist that never comes? Is it too late to get the police involved two weeks after the fact?

well im gonna ask to pick up the cash in person. im not gonna ask for it to be mailed or a check. straight cash.

im goign to the dealer tuesday to get an estimate and ill contact the guy then. its only been a few days, i have his plate number and at least 4 witnesses so if he tries to avoid me ill go to the cops.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Racer

if it were me i would draw up something for him to sign stating that if there is any additional damage due to the incident that he will pay for it. I also agree about looking into the aero bumper. My body shop guy was suprised that it came prepainted and told me if any TSX's came in with bumper damage that he was going to recommend it. The cost is close to the same.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As a lawyer I would advise against "not going through insurance" after accidents. People who do this either don't have insurance or have a poor driving record and are an accident or ticket away from being dropped by their carrier. If you don't call the police and have an accident report drawn up on the spot, going through insurance is off the table for good. If the person then renegs, you have little recourse. There's no reason not to go through inusrance companies if the accident is not your fault. If the other driver's insurance has to pay for repairs to your car because the accident is their insured's fault, your premiums don't get raised. Don't reward someone who hits your car due to their negilence by giving them a break with their insurance issues. That's not your problem. These are the kinds of drivers insurance companies need to know about and we're better off with drivers like this off the road.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Ugh.. the blows. I was rear-ended when mine was 30 days old and the guy didnt have insurance. Was not major damage, but his license plate screw went through my bumper and I wanted it fixed.. Ended up being ~$700 for new rear bumper cover and painting it. The unpainted part itself was around $350 I think. I have white and since it is "pearl" the painting was a little more involved from what they said.

Last edited by ji0005; 05-11-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

I have had both experiences at different times; I backed into an illiegal immigrant who was darting through an apartment complex while leaving a parking space when I was seventeen and he was happy to avoid insurance (although I know now that I could have been heartless and gave him nothing).

Another time when I drove my last Integra someone in a raised pickup backed into me at a stop sign to make room for someone turning into the road we were leaving. I didn't have time to honk the horn because Integras had two small buttons to sound the horn and I was using the momentary stop to both grab my CD book and drink some coffee so my hand were full and all I could do is watch it happen. I knuckled at the steering wheel to no avail. The guy sped away, but since no damage aside from a crumpled license late occurred I didn't want to spend another minute thinking about it. besides, fuck front mounted license plates.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
besides, fuck front mounted license plates.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:14 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
That sucks but you're lucky it's only "minor contact".

My TSX was 10 month old when it was rear-ended in rush hour traffic by an Audi A4. The police came but they didn't file a police report. Lazy cops, they just said exchange info and move along. Fearing that I'd get screwed by the Audi's insurer, I decided to go thru my insurance and my dealer's body shop. Total repair cost was $11k. I am still waiting for my insurance to recoup the cost (deductible) from the other insurance. What a pain in the ass.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
IIRC, if the damages is under $1k, insurance points don't go up, even if its your fault. Its considered a mior accident/incident. Though, I'm sure if you get a few of these "incidents" in a short time, they'll go after you.

As far as OP's incident, hope you get the money from the prius owner. Still sucks to have a new car scratched or dinged up.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Report it to your insurance ASAP, let them deal with it that is why your paying them for.

I hope you took pics of their car and your car damaged

Make sure to take down all of the other party info (driver license, phone, address, insurance policy, make, model, and license.

Don't worry for police report - chance are they will not give you one because the damaged is so minimal and no one was hurt.

My experiences, I been thru this couple of times already. I have a door ding and a parking lot incident where the driver parked into my front bumper.

all the times I call for to police come but they will not give you a police report because it a minor incident (meaning car is drivable and bumper is not hanging or something)
Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23
The lesson from all of this: Prius owners have no idea how to drive.
I hear that and it applies to all Toyota drivers!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

Don't Priuses have backup cameras on top of it all?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wackura
Don't Priuses have backup cameras on top of it all?
I got stuck renting one and it didnt.. and the rear is really hard to see out.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by boydanger
I was in the parking lot of the Marriot yesterday leaving a conference. There was a line to pay for the parking and leave and there was a white prius in front me. I notice his back lights turn on and the dude starts backing up (for no reason at all), I blast the horn and start yelling and cant backup because I'll hit the guy behind me and BAM. The guy just backs right into me.

There was no serious damage other than my license plate frame getting hurt and some scratches on the bumper behind the frame.

The prius got more damage than my tsx with a couple of dents left from the screws on my front plate.

im mainly pissed that my car is 5 days old and it got hit by a driver who cant pay attention.

who backs up without looking behind them in a crowded parking lot when everyones trying to leave?

anyway he said he'll pay for any damages and doesnt wanna go through insurance.
I feel your pain. I picked my car up March 23rd and at 5 days exactly, someone gave it a nice hit & run in a parking lot...practically ripping the front bumper off from the right corner. I just got it back 2 weeks ago from the body shop. Thankfully someone witnessed it and got the person's tag#. Also, thank god for uninsured motorist coverage.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Craig-D
As a lawyer I would advise against "not going through insurance" after accidents. People who do this either don't have insurance or have a poor driving record and are an accident or ticket away from being dropped by their carrier. If you don't call the police and have an accident report drawn up on the spot, going through insurance is off the table for good. If the person then renegs, you have little recourse. There's no reason not to go through inusrance companies if the accident is not your fault. If the other driver's insurance has to pay for repairs to your car because the accident is their insured's fault, your premiums don't get raised. Don't reward someone who hits your car due to their negilence by giving them a break with their insurance issues. That's not your problem. These are the kinds of drivers insurance companies need to know about and we're better off with drivers like this off the road.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Robbie D.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I made an appointment with an Acura authorized body shop tomorrow, I'll take it in see what the damages are and get this handled tomorrow.

Hopefully everything works out. I'm willing to put 300 bucks on top of whatever the guy will pay or insurance to get that sexy aero bumper.

we'll see what happens tomorrow. wish me luck
Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My condolences.

Toyota drivers....hmmm.....
Old 05-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Robbie D.

got a quote today. looks like it'll be cheaper to put the aero bumper on then fix my current one!

on the other hand the douchebag in the prius wont answer his phone. ill wait till thursday for a call back, if i dont hear from him i'll report a hit and run. got his plates and everything and witnesses.

wish me luck
Old 05-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by boydanger
got a quote today. looks like it'll be cheaper to put the aero bumper on then fix my current one!

on the other hand the douchebag in the prius wont answer his phone. ill wait till thursday for a call back, if i dont hear from him i'll report a hit and run. got his plates and everything and witnesses.

wish me luck
You should contact your insurance company immediately. it might be too late already.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 AM
Robbie D.

You should contact your insurance company immediately. it might be too late already.
thanks for the tip, ill do that first thing in the morning.