My Direct Comparison Between a 2nd Gen TSX and BMW 328

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My Direct Comparison Between a 2nd Gen TSX and BMW 328

I went to a wedding with my friend recently. She didn't feel like driving, so she handed me the keys to her 2007 BMW 328ix for the 2 hour + drive. Now that is what you call a test drive. The drive consisted of highway at up to 100 mph on I95 from NYC to Connecticut, to local twisty roads in CT. I really got what I thought was an extensive comparison to the TSX. Here are my impressions:

Interior:

Her car had leather, Sirius, and navi. In fact I think it was totally loaded. Material qualities were about the same in both cars. I'm not sure if the optional woodtone she had is real wood, but it looked and felt a lot less cheap than the fake plastic metal-look offsetting trim in the TSX. The leather felt equally nice. Design is a matter of personal choice, but I found both to be clean and modern with the BMW having that distinct European flavor that some may prefer. Where the TSX stands out is the gauge cluster. Far more upscale looking and pretty to look at with the colors and floating needles than the BMW. The TSX backseat is also far roomier, as is the interior as a whole. The lack of push button start in the TSX is an unacceptable omission in this class in my opinion though. Other than that, all the gizmos and gadgets are present in both. In sum, neither stands out from the other inside except for space, where the TSX has it all over the BMW.

Exterior:

This is largely subjective, so I won't comment much on looks. Both are nice and modern looking, but the TSX looks sexier and more striking to me personally. All '09 3 series will have LED tailights, which is nice. Not sure why Acura didn't go with them. BMW has sexier wheels, but this is a non-issue to me.

Driving experience:

Ah, the part that really matters. The BMW has 2 cyl and 30 hp more, but it doesn't feel like it. What you do feel is the BMW's superior torque off the line. It's not a world of difference - it doesn't make the TSX feel like a Civic in comparison or anything - but it's noticeable. I could feel no appreciable difference in handling other than the BMW steering feels tighter and on point. Both cars ride very smoothly. The BMW's manual tranny felt every bit as smooth as the TSX's to me also. Overall, I see no huge difference here except that the BMW does pull much stronger off the line. I haven't looked, but I bet the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of these two cars are not too far apart. Though it must be noted I was driving a 4 wheel drive model. The rear drive might be faster because of less weight. Fuel economy appears to be competitive.

Conclusions:

Both are really nice cars. Which one each person would prefer comes down to what your priorites are. If your main priority is impressing your friends and neighbors, I do think BMW has more brand cache. If it's all about sporty driving, then the 3 series with its rear wheel drive and more power is also the choice. But if you are not an enthusiast, then the TSX is just as worthy. To me the two cars don't have any significant edge over the other - they just have a different approach to the compact luxury sedan class. If the most car for your dollar is your priority, then the 3 series stands no chance. That's what it came down to for me when I cross-shopped these cars. If you factor out my friend's navi and all wheel drive (which my TSX doesn't have and I wouldn't want), her then comparably equipped 3 series has a MSRP $8,000 more than my TSX. Now is the 3 series a better car? Overall, yes by a small margin in my opinion. But is it $8,000 better? Hell no. That's why I have a TSX, and not a s40, 3 series, IS250, or A4. I don't care what the reviews say. If it's my money being spent, bang for the buck wins out every time.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great write up
Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very good review. I love BMW's but the TSX gives you great value for your dollar
Old 08-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am happy to read that. In fact, just knowing that my Acura (yes, I bought and took it home last night!) is comparable to a BMW is all the cache I need; I upgraded from a wonderfully reliable but undeniably familiar Civic. You are absolutely right, and I quote, "To me the two cars don't have any significant edge over the other - they just have a different approach to the compact luxury sedan class". Right on.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Very good writeup and I feel I have a little experience in this debate too. My wife has an '08 328i with sport package, and we switch cars for a week once a month. I'll just go over a few points you made and give my quick opinion.

Interior:

My wife's car has the fake leather, but you really can't tell unless you have a 3 series with the real leather in it. She also has the brushed aluminum trim, but overall we both like the interior of the TSX more as it is more comfy and has many more features.

Exterior:

Front- Advantage BMW
Side- Advantage Acura
Rear- Advantage Acura

Like the original poster said, looks are subjective. The BMW has a great looking front end, but doesn't stick out in other areas. The rear end isn't that attractive to begin with.

Driving Experience:

This is where I'm going to have to side with the BMW. It is just a sportier car and handles great and the steering is nice and tight. You feel more attached to the road and is more fun to drive but........in city stop and go to work and back, I believe the TSX is a better car. It has good low end grunt and doesn't feel like it needs to be pushed which is fine by me.

Work Week- Advantage TSX
Weekend- Advantage BMW

My conclusion:

Like the OP said, comparatively equipped these cars can not be compared due to the price difference. My wife's car has fake leather, lacks HID's, navi, sat radio, 6 disc changer among other stuff. My car's sticker was $32k while my wife's sticker was $37k. We both received substantial discounts on MSRP and our payments are only $50/per month apart as we are both leasing the cars. My wife and I love my TSX, (except for my window molding) and she loves her BMW, but for the money the TSX is a better buy.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:59 AM
Racer

my mom has a '08 328i and i have an 05 TSX.

i've heard the new 09 tsx isn't quite as sporty, but i havent driven one..

i'd say though that having tried out my moms car (no sports package though) that a TSX is probably better for the "normal driver" in general just value, ergonomics, and features wise. that and reliability.

but if you are a i suppose "enthusiast" i think for the actual driving portion, you'd have to be crazy to prefer a tsx over a 328i sport pack or maybe even a normal 328i.

this is assuming the 09 tsx is no better to drive than a 1st gen one. i'm assuming this is so from what i've read.

the bmw though i agree has a worse looking rear, the sides are about even, but the front of the tsx (due to the element) probably loses to an 08 or lower 3 series. fortunately bmw has put what appears to be a goatee on the 09 3 series and is trying to compete in front fascia ugliness .