My '09 TSX May Be No More

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Unhappy My '09 TSX May Be No More

UGH, I just had a feeling lately that this was coming! I was completely stopped at a red light, and this complete moron plowed into me going 35-40 mph...she said that she didn't even see that traffic was AND HAD BEEN stopped at the red light! It took me (and the police who showed up soon afterward) just a few seconds of talking to her to quickly figure out why, though: she was drunk AND on drugs!

She pushed me into the vehicle in front of me and thus sandwiching me, causing extensive damage to my front and rear, my air bag deployed, etc. Also, once the car was hoisted onto the flatbed of the tow truck (which was far more level than the road we were on), it appeared that the frame my have rippled a little as well, as the car was no longer sitting evenly on the surface.

But all things considered I am fine, the girl in the car that my car was pushed into is fine, the druggie is in the hospital (but overall okay) and was arrested, so...all in all it could have been much, much worse! My TSX definitely did her job and kept me safe...I was shocked at how I walked away from it all without a scratch!

*Also, I want to point out that my head snapped back into the seat upon impact but the headrest supported my head perfectly when my head had hit it, so I have very little soreness at this time! Who knows what it will feel like tomorrow but for now, I am good!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
First call tomorrow should be to an attorney. There are too many things involved here for you to deal with alone.

Glad to hear that you are OK.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
MoaarLow (03-03-2012), ttk5 (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ceb
First call tomorrow should be to an attorney. There are too many things involved here for you to deal with alone.
I see your point, but this seems to be fairly cut and dry, though. Luckily the drunk/druggie was a younger girl, the car was in her Dad's name and he has valid ins.

Glad to hear that you are OK.
Thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
what ceb said. Seriously, at least do a free consultation with one or more attorneys just to be safe. You could have future physical pains from it you need to get financed now.

And glad you survived the sandwich. All these recent talks about TSX accidents at least shows how safe that car is.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:26 AM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
omg! Glad your okay and so sorry to hear about your beloved tsx..
Old 03-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
This will probably give me nightmares about crashing my tsx, since I'm reading it right before bed. Sorry to hear this, sad to see yet another tsx injured and possibly dead. Glad you are ok though.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
glad you're okay and sorry for your lost. I recently was involve in an accident and I know how you feel.

I work for a law firm that specializes in personal injury and we have cases like this everyday.

This is what I think:
1. It is true that with an attorney you will get more compensation, but then most of it will goes towards your attorney fees and to cover their expenses. So in the end you will get more but don't expect a lot unless you have some serious injury. One BIG benefit of getting an attorney is that they can recommend you to their chiropractors and doctors which will be willing to take a cut on their bill which will save you some money.
2. Though an attorney will get you more money but you will mostly likely have to wait a long period of time for them to negotiate with the insurance company(at least 6 months).

So if you willing to wait 6 months to 1 year(according to your case which does not seem that serious) you can hire an attorney and they will gladly "milk" the insurance company for more money
Old 03-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Dang. thats bad...Good think youre ok...you gonna look into another tsx? or no?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
glad you're okay and sorry for your lost. I recently was involve in an accident and I know how you feel.

I work for a law firm that specializes in personal injury and we have cases like this everyday.

This is what I think:
1. It is true that with an attorney you will get more compensation, but then most of it will goes towards your attorney fees and to cover their expenses. So in the end you will get more but don't expect a lot unless you have some serious injury. One BIG benefit of getting an attorney is that they can recommend you to their chiropractors and doctors which will be willing to take a cut on their bill which will save you some money.
2. Though an attorney will get you more money but you will mostly likely have to wait a long period of time for them to negotiate with the insurance company(at least 6 months).

So if you willing to wait 6 months to 1 year(according to your case which does not seem that serious) you can hire an attorney and they will gladly "milk" the insurance company for more money
This is a completely different situation.

Let's assume:

The person the OP was pushed into decides to say that she doesn't who hit whom first.

The father decides that his daughter did not have permission to use the car.

You develop some related health problem in the future.

Going to an attorney will not cost you any money, will get you a more suitable loaner until your car is sorted, will increase your chances of getting your car totaled and will protect you down the road.

Your car situation will get sorted quicker and do you really care how long the rest of the case takes?

On the other hand, after a discussion with an attorney you may decide you don't need one, but you'll kick yourself for years if you don't consult one and problems come up.

And no, I'm not a lawyer and don't work for one.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
Definitely go get yourself checked out at either a hospital or your doctor. I think you have 48 hours? or maybe a day longer to go to ER and have the other person's insurance cover it all. You may not feel anything at the time of the accident cuz of adrenaline but you'll feel something tomorrow. Glad you're okay. I was just in an accident this past thanksgiving and it totaled my car. I didn't walk away scot free but decent compared to the damage of my car. Did all the airbags deploy or just the front airbags?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstak
Definitely go get yourself checked out at either a hospital or your doctor. I think you have 48 hours? or maybe a day longer to go to ER and have the other person's insurance cover it all. You may not feel anything at the time of the accident cuz of adrenaline but you'll feel something tomorrow. Glad you're okay. I was just in an accident this past thanksgiving and it totaled my car. I didn't walk away scot free but decent compared to the damage of my car. Did all the airbags deploy or just the front airbags?
Glad you're ok OP! Hope it all works out for you though.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
yup, these babies hold up to ALOT, I LOVE how strong the car actually is. i walked away from both of my accidents just a bit sore. glad your okay. hope you'll be getting a '12 TSX soon! i go to school in west philly, but my dealer is in north jersey. about an hour and a half drive from philly. i can send you his way to get a great deal if you need. stak just got his new baby from my dealer
Old 03-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
I agree wl all the other post about speaking wl an attorney. You may not feel anything now, But in a few days, weeks, or months something may arrise in relations to the accident and you will forever be fucked. if your neck snapped back and hit the headrest its something to look into. My cousin totalled his car and was completely fine at the time. and a day or 2 later couldnt even walk wl how bad his body felt.

Not to mention Lawyers will get you more money, faster, and take care of all the stress involved in the case

Good Luck to you, Im glad Everyone involved was okay and no1's live was taken blc of a Drunk/Druggie
Old 03-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the kind words, all! I am doing okay today and I have minimal soreness as I type this...I am still amazed at just how well the car protected me! RE: an attorney, I definitely see both sides of the coin however, I think one of the absolute biggest problems with the U.S. is that everyone is so "sue happy", and I will not be one of those people. Of course in some instances you need to fight for what is rightfully yours, but...in this case, I don't need much right now and I am okay. I will most certainly take things day by day and I will be sure not to screw myself over in the long run, though.

But I will be seeking reimbursement of some of the out of pocket expenses I will be incurring, so...an attorney may be consulted regardless.

RE: will I be getting another TSX if my car is in fact totaled? I am up in the air about that, actually. While I loved the car and would definitely not be opposed to sitting in another one, there are a few others I am interested in as well. Also, if I were to stick with the TSX, this time around I would probably go with the Manual (and probably not the SE either, as I want the Tech pkg. again, so a used one it may be...if I can find one) or the V6.

UGH, this all does really suck and I miss my car a lot already!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:49 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Still glad you're ok though. And I understand what you mean "sue happy." Just weigh your options and go from there.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
man glad you are ok!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Thanks for the kind words, all! I am doing okay today and I have minimal soreness as I type this...I am still amazed at just how well the car protected me! RE: an attorney, I definitely see both sides of the coin however, I think one of the absolute biggest problems with the U.S. is that everyone is so "sue happy", and I will not be one of those people. Of course in some instances you need to fight for what is rightfully yours, but...in this case, I don't need much right now and I am okay. I will most certainly take things day by day and I will be sure not to screw myself over in the long run, though.

But I will be seeking reimbursement of some of the out of pocket expenses I will be incurring, so...an attorney may be consulted regardless.

RE: will I be getting another TSX if my car is in fact totaled? I am up in the air about that, actually. While I loved the car and would definitely not be opposed to sitting in another one, there are a few others I am interested in as well. Also, if I were to stick with the TSX, this time around I would probably go with the Manual (and probably not the SE either, as I want the Tech pkg. again, so a used one it may be...if I can find one) or the V6.

UGH, this all does really suck and I miss my car a lot already!
There is a huge difference between being "sue happy" and making sure that you don't get screwed by the insurance company.

The goal of the insurance company is to pay out as little as possible and they'll walk all over you if they can get away with it.

The average consumer is ill suited to deal with insurance companies. They do this for a living - we hope we never have to deal with them.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, glad you're ok. Any pictures to show how much damage? Just curious...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
DAMN :/
Glad to hear you're okay man! And as everyone else said, attorney and doctor! Your health is important.

I'm afraid to ask though...was it a Toyota?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Well, some new car options that are not the TSX could be:

Fiat Abarth 500
Subaru BRZ / Scion FRS
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sucks, I just got mine about would be heated if someone smashed it up.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the kind words, all! I found out today that my car is NOT going to be totaled and is being repaired. As for my personal well being so far, so good! I found out that the girl who hit me is still in pretty bad shape, though, and her vehicle has been totaled.

Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
I'm afraid to ask though...was it a Toyota?
Nope, it was an Oldsmobile Intrigue! Why did you ask if it was a Toyota?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the kind words, all! I found out today that my car is NOT going to be totaled and is being repaired. As for my personal well being so far, so good! I found out that the girl who hit me is still in pretty bad shape, though, and her vehicle has been totaled.

And that is why you needed an attorney.

Don't forget to get dim val if your state allows it. Even if allowed, you'll have to fight for it.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
There's been quite a few of us hit by toyota's, myself included. Got in my first accident a month or so ago when one rear ended me. Most notably though, is mr stak. RIP mr stak's old tsx.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
yah definitely glad you're okay and you don't have to be sue happy but getting an attorney is good for peace of mind for future shit if it happens. i hope you got yourself completely checked out. stuff could arise later on that you weren't aware of initially.

yup a couple of us were hit by camry's...mine was one of the worst where my car got totaled. didn't even have it a year yet...my neck is still hurting so yea...pretty bad
Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
my 06 tsx was rearended by a chrysler a few months ago. I was stopped at a redlight when I was hit. The chrysler was totaled and my car had $1,500.00 worth of damage. The other driver was arrested for outstanding warrants. She was also given a ticket for the accident. Luckily she had insurance which covered fixing my car and a rental car.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Pro

Are you happy they didnt total out the car? if the damage was that bad are you sure youd want to drive around in that car? Id fight for them to total loss it.

My sister got hit and caused $16k in damage for a brand new venza, traded it in shortly after and took a 5k hit blc of the accident they saw on file,
If you car is a finance you should consider that accident on the car fax

best of luck
Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, all! LOL damn, it sounds as if Toyotas really hate our cars...eh, I am sure they are just jealous! I am glad all of you are okay!

Originally Posted by ceb
And that is why you needed an attorney.
The estimates for the repairs ended up being less than half of what the car is currently worth surprisingly, so even with an attorney, getting the car totaled would be a very tough sell, I am sure. If the laws in PA are still the same (and a quick search showed that they may be) the repairs would have to be 80+% of the car's book value for it to be totaled.

Also, outside of the repair to car's value COST ratio, the actual parts being replaced is what is needed to be taken into account. In looking at what needs to be repaired, it is mostly cosmetic. It appears as if I was wrong in my assessment re: the frame while the car was on the flatbed and I saw the car on level ground, and everything looked okay.

Don't forget to get dim val if your state allows it. Even if allowed, you'll have to fight for it.
It doesn't seem like it will be worth the battle here in PA.

Originally Posted by MoaarLow
Are you happy they didnt total out the car? if the damage was that bad are you sure youd want to drive around in that car? Id fight for them to total loss it.
Well for what it's worth, I had someone from an independent shop take a look at the car as well and he told me it was well worth getting it fixed, and he saw no major damage outside of cosmetically that would render the car unsafe. So...I am confident with the decision at this point. The car is paid off so I can run it for a few more years, keep it as a second car, eventually trade it in, etc.

Last edited by ESHBG; 03-10-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
go to a shop you trust, and get it done right. make sure the paint matches(outside, in real light). check all the creases and where the panels join, make sure its even
Old 03-10-2012, 12:51 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Toyotas kinda have it out for TSXs....LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Pro

Well for what it's worth, I had someone from an independent shop take a look at the car as well and he told me it was well worth getting it fixed, and he saw no major damage outside of cosmetically that would render the car unsafe. So...I am confident with the decision at this point. The car is paid off so I can run it for a few more years, keep it as a second car, eventually trade it in, etc.
Understandable, If thats the case then i can agree wl you. Update when car is repaired!