Looking for feedback on what I should do next

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for feedback on what I should do next

Hey guys,

Okay so this is what I've done so far... paintmatched the grill and tinted the windows 20% all around. I'm rolling in PMM/Black and had a couple ideas of what to do next. Sadly, money is an issue (being a starving student). This means that the complete OEM aerokit is currently out of option... and also nice wheels. So this is what I came up with. If I get Eibachs and drop the car, I could pick up RJ 17" Servos for $200 a pop. This means I don't have to buy new tires to fit 19" rims. Pretty much, my mentality is that anything but stock wheels haha. I'll take some pics real soon of what I've got so far... I just have to go home and grab a decent camera because I don't want to upload pics taken with a cameraphone. I was wondering if you guys think that's a good solution, considering a lack of cash, or whether I should just wait it out until I somehow come across a nice set of 19" Legends

Looking forward to any feedback!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
just save your money. I want rims and a nice body kit but gotta pay for school before spending on my car.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree on saving your money. What good is having a nice looking car when you're completely broke? You'll have time and money to mod your car after college when you have a paying job.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
i agree on saving money. I am 20years old just like you, a starving student and I went through the same phase you did. With my first car, i did all the DIY's, wanted to paint rims (cause i couldnt afford rims), LED replacements, etc.etc; but this will only satisfy your short term need to just do a mod.

i know when you have a nice car like ours, its so tempting to just do everything at once and do more and more mods, but don't cheap out too much on your car. I think for your next mod, springs are a GREAT choice. After that, you can look for some cheap rims, but i really don't think you should get 17's. Our cars are large and 17's will just look too small. Also, if you dont mind used rims, you can easily find a decent setup with tires for around $1000

good luck man and keep up posted
Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Racer

nice car for a "starving" college student... i say HID fogs.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ttk5
i agree on saving money. I am 20years old just like you, a starving student and I went through the same phase you did. With my first car, i did all the DIY's, wanted to paint rims (cause i couldnt afford rims), LED replacements, etc.etc; but this will only satisfy your short term need to just do a mod.

i know when you have a nice car like ours, its so tempting to just do everything at once and do more and more mods, but don't cheap out too much on your car. I think for your next mod, springs are a GREAT choice. After that, you can look for some cheap rims, but i really don't think you should get 17's. Our cars are large and 17's will just look too small. Also, if you dont mind used rims, you can easily find a decent setup with tires for around $1000

good luck man and keep up posted
Hey thanks for the post. I had one question in particular, I definitely had my eye on springs for the next mod as they are not prohibitively expensive. I was hoping that if I lowered the car, then 17's would look a bit better. I then saw a thread on here showing before/after Eibach installation pics on a very nice PWP TSX with stock wheels... and yeah, that made me realize how right you are. Even with the springs installed, the 17s look well.. a little dinky on the TSX. Although I think anything over 19 would be overkill. Do you know any good sites that promote used rims+tire packages?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Originally Posted by HoTRevolver
Hey thanks for the post. I had one question in particular, I definitely had my eye on springs for the next mod as they are not prohibitively expensive. I was hoping that if I lowered the car, then 17's would look a bit better. I then saw a thread on here showing before/after Eibach installation pics on a very nice PWP TSX with stock wheels... and yeah, that made me realize how right you are. Even with the springs installed, the 17s look well.. a little dinky on the TSX. Although I think anything over 19 would be overkill. Do you know any good sites that promote used rims+tire packages?
i would be glad to help you find a set of used 18's if you want. for some reason I enjoy surfin the net and looking for used rims lol! just PM me with what kind of look you are going for and ill keep an eye out if i ever see any youd like in your budget. First place you should check though is your local craigslist and kijiji.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Originally Posted by Farage
nice car for a "starving" college student
My parents pay insurance for me; i handle everything else. I donno about the rest of you guys, but im quite proud of being able to maintain my car and go to school at the time.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:46 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
I have stock TL-S 17's because they were 1/2" wider and they were sitting in my garage doing nothing.

Still, they *do* look small to me & I wouldn't go buy stock diameter wheels. Save your cash or you'll be apologizing for that decision the whole time they're on your car.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 PM
6th Gear

Hmmm while googling absentmindedly yesterday (while I should have been studying) I came across a site called wheelsnext.com. Anyone have any feedback on this website?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 9,524 Likes on 6,180 Posts
My parents pay insurance for me; i handle everything else. I donno about the rest of you guys, but im quite proud of being able to maintain my car and go to school at the time.
Same here. I pay for everything I have. People just look at me like I'm the spoiled rich kid with the TL. It makes me proud that I can afford to pay for my car and that I work full time and go to school full time to do so.

Haters can

Back to the OP's question....honestly it sounds like the car is already pretty hot, and you want the outside stuff to look good, but have you considered improving the stereo? Adding a sub maybe? I love mine. I haven't looked to far into the aftermarket parts for the 2G TSX, but is there a cold air intake you might be interested in? I would do the little things first and then save up and get the big stuff.

If I could, I would go back and not get my aftermarket rims, and do everything to the interior and engine first before I made any exterior mods. I have my rims and everything just like I wanted, but now I want a bigger system and exhaust and all of that good stuff, and I can't afford it. Just my , do what makes you happy, not everybody else.

Hurry up and post some pics
Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Same here. I pay for everything I have. People just look at me like I'm the spoiled rich kid with the TL. It makes me proud that I can afford to pay for my car and that I work full time and go to school full time to do so.

Haters can
props on being able to maintain a TL and school work. I cant even imagine paying for EVERYTHING. Insurance is like 4000 a year.....f*** that!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:23 AM

props on being able to maintain a TL and school work. I cant even imagine paying for EVERYTHING. Insurance is like 4000 a year.....f*** that!
Good god, insurance is that much for you?? That's crazy. Yea I'm working about 45 hours a week and going to school full time. It's a hand full for sure, but it's worth it
Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 AM
Banned

I don't think it's a big deal for a starving student to have a 30k car; it's just one of many possible modes of priority. The fact that said student is starving means that nice cars are more important than food. Most college kids seem to go the used Civic route in order to stave off the hunger pains. I won't even tell you that you should be saving for a house but surely there must come a time when you say to yourself 'I want that fancy electronic device or that premium lager' but can't float it, and you have to ask if you would rather take a cheaper car in order to afford those other things.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by wackura
I don't think it's a big deal for a starving student to have a 30k car; it's just one of many possible modes of priority. The fact that said student is starving means that nice cars are more important than food. Most college kids seem to go the used Civic route in order to stave off the hunger pains. I won't even tell you that you should be saving for a house but surely there must come a time when you say to yourself 'I want that fancy electronic device or that premium lager' but can't float it, and you have to ask if you would rather take a cheaper car in order to afford those other things.
Yea I hear ya. Well I have to wait another year to move out of my parents house because of my car payment. A part of me wishes I drove a Civic just so I would have the opportunity to move out now, but then again I love my car. As for the electronics thing, I've been working this much since I was 15, and when I didn't have a car back then, I saved up like hell, so I got the iPhone when it came out and all of the goodies I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to brag whatsoever on what I have, but I think that no matter how old you are, if you push yourself to work and set a goal for yourself, you can do it. I told myself that I wanted to work enough so I could have enough money to get myself all of the things my parents wouldn't get me and so I could have a decked out car that I loved.

Sometimes I wish that my parents would have done what all of my friend's parents did, and just bought me a brand new car so I wouldn't have to start working so early, but I don't take my car for granted or drive it like a bat out of hell just because I have to pay for everything. It just makes me feel good

I'm not talking shit to the people on here that had their parents get them a brand new car by the way, I think that's awesome, and yall should enjoy it while you can. I'm just giving my feedback on my personal experiences...all just my
Old 04-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Originally Posted by wackura
great point! thought out much better than those others who just see a young guy in a nice car and assume its their parents car. (which even if it is, i personally dont consider them spoiled; just fortunate to be born into a family that can provide well) Anybody out there who calls someone spoiled cause their parents got them a car is just jealous or something. If someone went up to them and offered to give them a car, would they turn down the offer? of course not...

Last edited by ttk5; 04-04-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned

I think it's in poor taste for parents to buy their kids luxury transport. Most of their peers won't have luxury cars so they will be a) giving their kid an undeserved sense of accomplishment and/or b) making their kid look spoiled and rich infront of his or her peers (assuming their peers knew the car was free in the first place).