Just got this email from a dealer in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got this email from a dealer in NJ

Hi Elephantman_nosefacehead,

Due to the Earthquake and Tsunami that struck Japan last week,
Honda Motor Co. Ltd has Notified Acura Dealers that we will be on a Production Freeze Temporarily. For the next 3 Months, our Pricing on the TSX, TSX Sport Wagon and RL Models will increase. The Price increase is effective now, until further notification.

2011 TSX & RL Pricing
2011 Acura TSX
4cylinder...$28,495
4cylinder Technology...$31,337
V6...$33,335
V6 Technology...$36,167
Wagon...$31,820
Wagon Technology...$35,470

2011 Acura RL
Base...$46,162
Technology...$49,883
Advance...$52,650

Prices Include Acura's $860 for Destination and Handling. Quotes effective March 18th until further notice. We ask that our customers have 3 color selections. Color Availabilitly may be limited.

Last edited by Elephantman_nosefacehead; 03-18-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced

I would tell them that they just lost your business then....I will never buy from any dealer who marks up cars. I have a Toyota dealer here that marks up Prius' $5000 due to high demand from sticker price. I just laughed and walked away.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Old 03-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
the MSRP in California for a I4 Base is $30470 (including destination fee)

i got it discounted $3600. you can do the same
Old 03-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had two out of five or so dealerships only mention Japan, but they're not holding back in the dealing.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Sounds like they are exploiting the disaster. Shame on them.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Just bought a TSX Wagon Tech for well under that price today. The salesman said they are hoping it's only a 3 month freeze.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Advanced

I'm in SoCal, which should be a more inflated car market than NJ, and at the end of the day I've just been offered $27,255 including destination fee. I think you can do $1,000 below $28,495
Old 03-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i dont think they are exploiting the disaster. i work at a honda dealership and the simple truth is that new cars are heavily discounted because "the dealer can simply replace that car with exactly the same car", so why turn away a profitable offer when you can replace the car to sell to the next customer. with the halt in production, the dealer can no longer replace the cars. this means 60 days from now they wont have any on the lot to sell. its simple supply and demand. if they continue to sell the cars at the current prices, they will run out. by raising the prices, they will keep a stock until production resumes. Honda sent out an official memo to all dealers warning them that inventory levels on japan-made cars was going to be an issue and to plan accordingly. now dealers who mark cars up above MSRP is a different story, as i understand that that is just bad business. but reducing the level of the discount is a simple adjustment to the market conditions. the email's prices still show the vehicles at a discount from MSRP, so i dont think they are gouging. and i promise you, they are not the only dealer adjusting their prices on the cars that honda cant produce anymore.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ufmike316
i dont think they are exploiting the disaster. i work at a honda dealership and the simple truth is that new cars are heavily discounted because "the dealer can simply replace that car with exactly the same car", so why turn away a profitable offer when you can replace the car to sell to the next customer. with the halt in production, the dealer can no longer replace the cars. this means 60 days from now they wont have any on the lot to sell. its simple supply and demand. if they continue to sell the cars at the current prices, they will run out. by raising the prices, they will keep a stock until production resumes. Honda sent out an official memo to all dealers warning them that inventory levels on japan-made cars was going to be an issue and to plan accordingly. now dealers who mark cars up above MSRP is a different story, as i understand that that is just bad business. but reducing the level of the discount is a simple adjustment to the market conditions. the email's prices still show the vehicles at a discount from MSRP, so i dont think they are gouging. and i promise you, they are not the only dealer adjusting their prices on the cars that honda cant produce anymore.
Yep...I agree and this may happen to any Japanese product that we import whose production gets affected by the tsunami.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts
I understand why they are doing it, it does make sense..but why in the hell would you send out that letter? That's like running an ad in the paper telling everyone they are raising their prices. That's stupid marketing and they will no doubt lose more customers that way.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Racer

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar...autos-20110317
Old 03-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Advanced

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=5940-en

Japan Operations

The suspension of automobile production, which began March 14, was extended today for an additional three days-- through March 23 -- at the following locations: Sayama Plant at Saitama Factory (Sayama, Saitama); Suzuka Factory (Suzuka, Mie).
The same March 23 timing applies at the Kumamoto Factory (Ozu-machi, Kikuchi-gun, Kumamoto), where motorcycles are produced.
There is a possibility that we could begin operations partially on some lines at the non-finished unit level before March 23 at three locations: Hamamatsu Factory (Hamamatsu, Shizuoka); Ogawa Plant (Ogawa-machi, Hiki-gun Saitama); and Tochigi Factory (Moka, Tochigi). We are still in the process of determining details about when production can be resumed at these sites.
Honda is cooperating with electricity conservation efforts and rolling blackout measures, prioritizing the relief and recovery of affected areas. Our decision to resume production could be affected by the needs of Japanese society as a whole.
Honda has made contact with all Tier 1 suppliers in Japan and is collecting information from them regarding the status of their operations.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Advanced

well FWIW here's another article on this topic

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/19/r...se-of-tsunami/

I guess it can't be helped. And from those footages where a whole car lot of new cars were just swept away and the fact that shipping is now disrupted means that there will be a shortage of certain vehicles.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im a Honda Technician and last week we got a memo that there will be a shortage on Honda Fit, CR-V, Acura's TSX, and RL. Due to the factory being shut-down cause of the earthquake. So if planning to buy one, you might wanna do it asap before the price gets boosted...
Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jebus_TSX
Im a Honda Technician and last week we got a memo that there will be a shortage on Honda Fit, CR-V, Acura's TSX, and RL. Due to the factory being shut-down cause of the earthquake. So if planning to buy one, you might wanna do it asap before the price gets boosted...
Or wait a month or two till everything goes back to normal. Never buy in a panic mode.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
buy like 5 TSX's and stock them in your garage for the wintertime, this way when everyone else goes to the dealership to buy TSX's at the last minute you are all set
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Elephantman_nosefacehead
Or wait a month or two till everything goes back to normal. Never buy in a panic mode.
I just bought a TSX yesterday. I had thought about waiting a couple of months too, but that makes it summertime where deals are also hard to come by (unless supply is overloaded after the stoppage).
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
thats horrible, i cant believe they are increasing prices due to the earthquake in japan ... making money off of a tragedy
Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

Price jousting because of the Earthquake and flooding??? The dealerships should worry more about moving cars off the lot and remember the current state of our US economy.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 AM
?

Sending that kind of email out was not the smartest thing to do.

But if what Acura has been telling us holds true, deals on the 2011 TSX's are not going to be as good are/were.

Just basic supply and demand.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Cruisin'

I heard the same thing from a dealer in DC about the production shortage earlier this week, but prices were not affected *yet*. The salesman basically just said that if I want a TSX, it would be wiser to buy now vs. later. Good thing I already bought mine.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by VQPower37
thats horrible, i cant believe they are increasing prices due to the earthquake in japan ... making money off of a tragedy
We won't see empty dealer lots, but there are some models, such as the TSX Wagon that will be scarce if production is halted for 3 months. I know the Atlanta area only has 1 black/black TSX Wagon left. They are still a business, and not having 3 months of production will hurt the dealers.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:20 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JavertHL
I just bought a TSX yesterday. I had thought about waiting a couple of months too, but that makes it summertime where deals are also hard to come by (unless supply is overloaded after the stoppage).
May I ask how much you paid? Base or Tech Package?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jordexj
May I ask how much you paid? Base or Tech Package?
30.0K OTD + splash guards, wheel locks. Black-on-black.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
7th Gear

Just got quoted the exact same price in Elephantman_nosefacehead's "letter. That can't be a coincidence right?

$31,337
2011 4cyl Manual w/Tech Manual Graphite Luster Ebony Int

They have me by the short hairs because this model/color is so hard to find and I need to by now. Manuals in this config are like unicorns. They just are not around. This one is being shipped in from NC. Only other option is to wait for a custom order from Japan who knows when.

They were quite firm on the sale price. Supposed to buy/pick up on Saturday. Any last words of advice out there?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Op is too busy to care

same day pickup??

31,3xx is pretty steep for a base, but like you said Manuals are like white unicorns. You could either wait an inordinate amount of time or settle for an auto. It seems like the manuals are short lived on the 11 so they might have you by the ball hair on this one...it really comes down to your finances. You cool with paying more for it? You dont want tech for sure? And can you live without manual?

If you wait im sure after the dust settles a 2011 GLM tech could be yours for less than what you are paying. Alot of us paid around ~30 out the door with taxes on tech models
Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 PM
7th Gear

Hey KillerG.

It is a tech, not a base. Bad typing day for me....

2011 4cyl Manual with Tech

But I hear you...I'm just not sure how to get leverage. I'm good on finances but I don't want to burn money. I've seen alot of posts here in 30's as you say. I was flat out told no dice when trying to get it down 1k. Not sure what will get their attention. In any case I don't want to walk. I did see on Edmunds that there is $750 in dealer cash available until 5/2/11. Not sure how to work that in to the negotiation.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Op is too busy to care

Dude if its a tech AND a manual i would not wait. Jump on it, cause 31,3xx is not a bad price at all. That price is gonna go higher in the next few weeks because of the shortage, they are already rare, and someone will pay for that combo if you dont. Although i am not exactly a financial advisor and math isnt my strong point, it definitely seems like a good deal
Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That email was stupid.

The fact is that supply and demand may dictate the deals that are available and as cars run out you can be certain that the deals will not be as good.

However, never ever should a price on a dealer lot be above retail (MSRP). But my opinions don't seem to impact many dealers.

Many years ago when I bought a Jetta TDI I was willing to pay sticker because you couldn't find the darn things, they were notoriously difficult to order and just generally scarce. Such things are expected in low volume or low availability cars.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DJMcGee

That email was stupid.

But my opinions don't seem to impact many dealers.

That would be a factual statement.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
News from Japan.

Honda’s Kumamoto factory will resume motorcycle production on March 28.

Production at the Kumamoto factory, Honda’s main motorcycle production facility in Japan, has been suspended since March 14 because of the recent national disasters in the Asian nation. The Kumamoto factory produces Honda models such as the Super Cub, CBR600RR sportbike, CB1100 standard, DN-01 crossover and VFR1200F sport tourer, as well as some of Honda’s power generators.
Automobile production at Honda’s Saitama and Suzuka factories will continue to be suspended through April 3. (Saitama is where the TSX are made- So looks like nothing coming from Japan until at least May -factoring shipping across the Pacific.)

Repairs at Honda’s Tochigi factory, which was the hardest hit of all Honda facilities in the March 11 earthquake, are nearly complete. The Tochigi factory produces automobile parts and houses Honda R&D Co. and Honda Engineering Co. Engineers and R&D workers have started returning to work but some work will be transferred to other Honda facilities until the Tochigi factory is fully restored.

Meanwhile, American Honda has established a special website with the American Red Cross to channel donations for continuing recovery efforts. The site was originally set up to accept donations from Honda and Acura dealers but it is now open to donations from the public at http://american.redcross.org/hondaacura-emp. Honda’s various American subsidiaries are also going to match all donations dollar-for-dollar from their associates’ personal donations.

“We are making this special website available for contributions based on the outpouring of support and messages of sympathy and concern we have received from so many friends of Honda,” says Stephan Morikawa, assistant vice president of corporate community relations at American Honda. “We are humbled and deeply appreciative of the concern shown for our Japanese associates, their families, and all those affected by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.”
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Aren't those prices listed just MSRP?

I've called several dealerships looking to do a straight cash deal on a wagon with the tech package, the most I could talk them down over the phone was $1000
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Aren't those prices listed just MSRP?

I've called several dealerships looking to do a straight cash deal on a wagon with the tech package, the most I could talk them down over the phone was $1000
They were already rare cars, and having a 3 month shortage will make them even more rare. Acura only planned to make 4000 TSX Wagons this year. My dealership said they planned to receive 12 wagons the entire year, but have already sold 15 in the 1st quarter. I think the wagons are selling a lot better than Acura planned.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
They were already rare cars, and having a 3 month shortage will make them even more rare. Acura only planned to make 4000 TSX Wagons this year. My dealership said they planned to receive 12 wagons the entire year, but have already sold 15 in the 1st quarter. I think the wagons are selling a lot better than Acura planned.
yeah, the wagon is very nice for a family car, lots of room at back. my dealer had a few when i got mine TSX + Tech sedan , but the $4500 price over my sedan turn me off.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Elephantman_nosefacehead
Hi Elephantman_nosefacehead,

Due to the Earthquake and Tsunami that struck Japan last week,
Honda Motor Co. Ltd has Notified Acura Dealers that we will be on a Production Freeze Temporarily. For the next 3 Months, our Pricing on the TSX, TSX Sport Wagon and RL Models will increase. The Price increase is effective now, until further notification.

2011 TSX & RL Pricing
2011 Acura TSX
4cylinder...$28,495
4cylinder Technology...$31,337
V6...$33,335
V6 Technology...$36,167
Wagon...$31,820
Wagon Technology...$35,470

2011 Acura RL
Base...$46,162
Technology...$49,883
Advance...$52,650

Prices Include Acura's $860 for Destination and Handling. Quotes effective March 18th until further notice. We ask that our customers have 3 color selections. Color Availabilitly may be limited.
I don't follow. Did Acura raise the MSRP, or did the MSRP remain the same and this individual dealer basically came out and said they wouldn't be discounting cars off MSRP? If the MSRPs were raised by Acura, does anyone know what they were pre-tsunami? Sorry, I wasn't watching prices until the last couple weeks, and am curious if the MSRPs I'm seeing are what they've always been for 2011 models or if they've been increased because of what's going on in Japan. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 PM
?

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
I don't follow. Did Acura raise the MSRP, or did the MSRP remain the same and this individual dealer basically came out and said they wouldn't be discounting cars off MSRP? If the MSRPs were raised by Acura, does anyone know what they were pre-tsunami? Sorry, I wasn't watching prices until the last couple weeks, and am curious if the MSRPs I'm seeing are what they've always been for 2011 models or if they've been increased because of what's going on in Japan. Thanks.
MSRP did not change.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I would never conduct business with a pathetic company such as these guys. If Acura doesn't raise the MSRP or dealer-incentive margin then the price should stay the same. Any other modifications are an attempt at gouging the customer.. so pathetic.

Matt
Old 04-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I got a 2011 PWP on black TSX V6 with the Tech Pack for about $3500 below MSRP. Of course, they slipped back into the equation a documentation fee of $295 and an acquistion fee of $595. No other fees. Also mine came with the trunk tray package, wheel locks, and splash guards, and door trims.

I had to go to an Acura dealer in North Carolina, because my regular dealer in South Carolina could find what I wanted in his network and they don't trade with the North Carolina dealer.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
seems like this is across the board with all japanese companies, i have been receiving emails from toyota and nissan dealers about prices going up and incentives dissapearing due to the earthquake

Quick Reply: Just got this email from a dealer in NJ