Interior Door Grip Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wagonfanatic
Interestingly enough - while I was looking for a how-to video on disassembling the door panel, I found one where the guy had vinyl wrapped his door handle. I don't love the carbon fiber wrap, but it would look decent with the gunmetal 3m film I already have. Might be a good way to keep a protective layer over the new part once installed.
Yeah, that could work. I wonder how well it would adhere to the rubberized material on the grip, though.

Might be a good time to address that door lock actuator, too, of needed on your car. Kind of sad to see the actuator is still an issue, as my previous 1995 Accord was plagued with the same issue. Luckily, the fix was easy, though accessing and removing the actuator wasn't.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys. I'm new here and just recently bought a 12' base, and also have the same issue with the handles. I have a solution. Although maybe not the best, it works for me for now. I used a microfiber towel and window cleaner(foamy suds kind). Apply window cleaner to towel, and put foam onto the soft touch material of the handle. Let it sit for like 10-20 seconds, then with medium to hard pressure start rubbing the material off the handle. It may take a number of passes in the same area. But it will come off.

My "damage" doesn't extend all the way up past the mirror controls. And so what I have done so far to the driver side is essentially marked a horizontal line about an inch below the mirror control. So everything below that line of the soft touch material is gone. And what I have done is "blended" the line. Instead of leaving a hard line, starting a little above the line I rub in a downward motion to blend it. I can post pictures later if anybody is curious to see. I have yet to work on the passenger side, but plan on doing the same.

And if curious. The two pieces that make up the handle have a different finish. The outside lower one has more of a smooth glossy texture, while the inner handle part has a rougher texture. I think they did this so that the part that gets "handle'd" (see what I did there) the most, has the best adhesion for the material.

Hope this helps some. I personally am not about to put $200 in door handles plus the time to install. I'm good with this result. Even though if need be, I can do the whole piece and it might look good? But so far no need for that.

I also posted this same comment in a different thread I found searching the same issue. All in hopes it helps.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Kramer (07-13-2020)