Installed: Viper Alarm / Remote Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed: Viper Alarm / Remote Start

Thought I would post my success story on an install. Had a Viper 5704 Alarm / Remote Start installed today on my '12 TSX Tech with no issues. My guy hooked up the stock window up/down feature to the AUX ports. Also had him hook in the rear defrost to the remote. So when the car is in remote start mode, I can from the remote tell the car to turn the defroster on or off. Pretty neat. For now, I'm using the valet key (instead of two fobs) until Acura makes me a non valet key without keyless entry functionality. Let me know if anyone has any questions. If you're in the Chicago land area and interested, I can give you his info. Great install and an even better price.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
What did you have to do to bypass the immobilizer?
So you're using the Viper fob to lock/unlock the car and the valet key to start it - is that right?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How bout that...I had the exact same model installed. Using the Valet too - put my FOB up. Wife kept hers. It still works - enables/disables appropriately. Just no remote start for her but she wouldn't use it anyways.

Didn't even think about them programming the Aux's for windows or defrost - do the windows go up and down or just down?

Had mine for a month now. Not really cold enough down here but I still use. Looking forward to the summer time where heat and humidity is more brutal.

--Mickey
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for post. I plan on putting remote start in ASAP. What did you pay if u don't mind?

Also, fyi when I bought the car last week they tried charging me $795 for factory. They said if I got third party installation it would still be covered under warranty as long as I let them know.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Bobisnew
Thanks for post. I plan on putting remote start in ASAP. What did you pay if u don't mind?

Also, fyi when I bought the car last week they tried charging me $795 for factory. They said if I got third party installation it would still be covered under warranty as long as I let them know.
Absolutely wrong. No dealer can change the Honda/Acura warranty terms.

That particular dealer may fix things that break but no other dealer will.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ceb
What did you have to do to bypass the immobilizer?
So you're using the Viper fob to lock/unlock the car and the valet key to start it - is that right?
He used idataLink ADS-AL CA as the bypass. All OEM functions still work. Yes, using Viper fob to lock/unlock/remote start. For now, using the valet key to disengage the remote start or just start the car.

Originally Posted by cmalberto
Didn't even think about them programming the Aux's for windows or defrost - do the windows go up and down or just down?

--Mickey
AUX1 is windows down and AUX2 is windows up (Acura remote doesn't do up). When you first hear how the up/down windows work, it's kind of weird... but it's logical since that's how the stock function works. On the OEM remote, you first hit unlock, then hit unlock again and hold for the windows to go down. On the Viper fob, you hit function, then AUX to simulate the initial "unlock" (pulse). Then you hit function, then hold AUX to simulate the hold of "unlock". Extra presses, but I would rather not have two remotes. Plus this does up.

Well, I got a major deal cause he put one in my '06 TL last month. Six days after the install, my car was totaled. He felt bad and I kept both Viper fobs so he cut the price. So I got a new Viper unit from him without the fobs since mine were new. It's normally around $500 out the door with all the extras. Take about 4 hours. He does push start cars too, but they cost more. Best Buy quoted me ~$850+tax for everything.
The following users liked this post:
Bobisnew (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ceb
Absolutely wrong. No dealer can change the Honda/Acura warranty terms.

That particular dealer may fix things that break but no other dealer will.
I would agree, the dealer might do it, but not through the Acura warranty. Might want to get that in writing if possible .
The following users liked this post:
Bobisnew (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
That is badass!! on my to do list
Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a similar setup with my Viper alarm though I don't remember how much I paid for it in total. I also added some extra sensors. I had Best Buy do it since a buddy works there and I actually trust him with my car. Not many others though!

I think Acura should offer more options when you buy the car because the oem remote starter is horrible (need to turn the car off to disengage it, etc...).
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Intermediate

Thanks I'll have to look into the warranty...and find a guy to install it for cheaper
Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Thanks I'll have to look into the warranty...and find a guy to install it for cheaper
Just think about it logically for a minute.

The Honda/Acura warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship for the car as it came from the factory. Honda pays the dealer to correct those defects.

Accordingly, neither Honda/Acura or the dealer can change the warranty terms to cover non-Honda/Acura parts. While the dealer could assume responsibility for non OE parts that they install, they certainly won't cover a part that was installed by someone else.

You always need to scrutinize everything a dealer says carefully to see if it makes sense - then get it in writing.

Remember that a dealer believes it is perfectly ethical to lie to you in order to make a sale. In this case, he is banking on a few things;

• the remote install will be done properly and won't break
  • He won't be at the dealership anymore when it breaks.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

That's a good point, but they offered me $750 for factory remote start...a bit too much

Will look for a better one