ILX pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
PLUS mrheeltoe, according to the heeltoe FB page, has called our beloved CU2 a mutant in favour of the ILX...
The following users liked this post:
ed_423 (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
That accord looks smaller than the current gen and much much better.
It did say on the Future Vehicles website that they will keep the interior room about the same size but exterior will be more compact.

I do see a little bit of TSX DNA in the hood and headlights in the Accord Coupe Concept. This may or may not be the new global accord platform, here's where the TLX theory comes into play.

The next generation TL will be smaller, similar to what they are doing with the accord. Keep the interior volume almost the same, but wrap the exterior more tightly around the body. Drivetrain options would be 2.4L DI FWD, maybe 2.4L DI AWD, 3.5L DI FWD, 3.5L DI AWD (the new 3.5L DI engine makes as much power as the outgoing 3.7L thats currently in the AWD TL). The ILX and TL would share the 2.4L, but size and features would give consumers a clear cut line whether to go with the entry level or the upper level. This would put the TL line up in direct competition against Infiniti's G25/G37/G37X and Lexus's IS250/IS350. Not sure on transmission options, but hopefully they'll stay away from the CVT and stick with just the 6AT and 6MT since "Acura stands for performance". The only thing that would be missing would be RWD...

Last edited by thunderbt3; 01-10-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Don't jive my 3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Yea im definitely in for the new accord too. I especially wanna see what the coupe will look like. The current generation is UGLY.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
doesn't look like a civic, whew!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:03 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Wonder when they'll add the ILX tab to the top!

But some opinions on the ILX: Is Acura doing it right? Styling wise, is acura starting to go in the right direction?
Old 01-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
RE: the smaller engine comments, don't forget that the U.S. will have very strict MPG requirements in the years to come. Also, there is much speculation again from very reliable sources that we will be seeing $4+/gallon gas very soon, with longer periods of time that it remains at that price point as well. Auto manufacturers would be very shortsighted not to prepare to market for this.

RE: the Accord coupe concept, I like it! However, I know not to get my hopes up too high when it comes to Honda's concepts, as the finished product is rarely as aggressive.

On a related note, Honda/Acura is really blurring the lines between their vehicles...and dare I say too much?!? I was shocked when I saw that the Accord got memory seats and some other Acura-only items prior during the last MMC. So if the Accord coupe is going to have pretty much everything the Acura has PLUS the option for a bigger engine and a 6-speed tranny, Auto or Manual (and also if I am looking for and/or wouldn't mind a coupe), why would I even bother w/ Acura at that point? Then on the same token, the price of the fully loaded Accord is inching up dangerously close to Acura territory, so will you be alienating some of that market?!?

It will all definitely be interesting to watch...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
damn.. respect to the NEW designers haha if any. that looks amazing, hopefully the production model will be as sleek
Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, I feel Acura will still keep TSX inline, it is because ILX is more like replacement of RSX. Forget about hybrid, the 2.0 liter is just same with RSX regular version and 2.4 liter with manual only is type -s version. The sale of TSX is not bad at all in US market. with ILX in line, you can easily image the sale for Acura will be very strong.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Soporific design, numb steering albeit, and that beak! It's even pointier now. One day I'd like to go back to owning a Honda but doesn't look like any time soon.
ed_423 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw the pics of the new RDX (and the inclusion of a V6!!!) and between them and the ILX, I am VERY excited about the future of Acura. Im sure there will be some stuff to quibble with, but overall the ILX and new RDX are very sharp looking and offer a lot to the driver. Good stuff.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by TSXKid2010
Wonder when they'll add the ILX tab to the top!

But some opinions on the ILX: Is Acura doing it right? Styling wise, is acura starting to go in the right direction?
My first impression is that the styling is a bit bland. A little too Corolla/Toyota-like. But then again, Acura was criticized heavily for their last over-the-top styling attempts. Seems like they can't hit the sweet spot. Having said that though I'll bet this is going to replace our CSX when the time comes. I'm betting this concept will look 95% like the production version.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 PM
not superchaged

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
I think I'm the only one who hates this car here LOL.

It adds nothing new to the segment. Tell me one thing that brand new car is going to bring that the segment does not already have. Absolutely nothing. Hell, the only thing it has over the TSX is keyless entry and push button start. Honda is playing catch up to the likes of the Volvo C30, Buick Verano and the Audi A3.

The next TSX or TL better be one helluva car otherwise I am jumping ship. For the record I don't think Acura will kill the TSX. The gap between ILX and TL would be too big. We are talking about the ILX topping out at about $30,000 and the TL starting at about $36,000. They need the TSX to pick up right where the ILX leaves off.

EDIT: At the end I'm just frustrated that Honda is moving so slowly. I look at Ford and all the Ecoboost engines and electric cars they are planning it makes me want it because I don't have it. Even Lexus is trying to make driving fun again with the new GS. The ILX is going to be a good marketing move but it doesn't show me, a current owner anything to be excited about. It doesn't make me think "My car next is going to be another Acura because they got new and better technology that I don't have"

Last edited by JackRydden224; 01-10-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
EDIT: At the end I'm just frustrated that Honda is moving so slowly. I look at Ford and all the Ecoboost engines and electric cars they are planning it makes me want it because I don't have it. Even Lexus is trying to make driving fun again with the new GS. The ILX is going to be a good marketing move but it doesn't show me, a current owner anything to be excited about. It doesn't make me think "My car next is going to be another Acura because they got new and better technology that I don't have"
I agree with honda moving slow on updating their cars and engines. Been really expecting more from them.

Like most, I really really wish they would of made a TSX type-s with a more zippy 4cyl (maybe like a 240hp NA). I really like the engine in my friends RSX Type S (like the kick of the dual cam vtec).

The ILX styling I agree is a bit boring too, but at least it's not ugly imo. I did chose a honda/acura more on reliability though...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 24boosted
Soporific design, numb steering albeit, and that beak! It's even pointier now. One day I'd like to go back to owning a Honda but doesn't look like any time soon.
Kudos to you. I actually had to look up a word in a post in a long time. "Soporific" good word.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
I think I'm the only one who hates this car here LOL.

It adds nothing new to the segment. Tell me one thing that brand new car is going to bring that the segment does not already have. Absolutely nothing. Hell, the only thing it has over the TSX is keyless entry and push button start. Honda is playing catch up to the likes of the Volvo C30, Buick Verano and the Audi A3.

The next TSX or TL better be one helluva car otherwise I am jumping ship. For the record I don't think Acura will kill the TSX. The gap between ILX and TL would be too big. We are talking about the ILX topping out at about $30,000 and the TL starting at about $36,000. They need the TSX to pick up right where the ILX leaves off.

I see what you mean by not offering anything new to the segment BUT their reasoning for the ILX is the entry level luxury sedan. It's geared towards the younger people who are coming from beaters or having no cars to having a luxury car with all these amenities. That's who they're trying to have their car appeal to. If you compare the other cars in the segment that already have all these features, they're easily at least 30+k where as the ILX will probably top off at 30k if even that much.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstak
I see what you mean by not offering anything new to the segment BUT their reasoning for the ILX is the entry level luxury sedan. It's geared towards the younger people who are coming from beaters or having no cars to having a luxury car with all these amenities. That's who they're trying to have their car appeal to. If you compare the other cars in the segment that already have all these features, they're easily at least 30+k where as the ILX will probably top off at 30k if even that much.
I think you forgot one segment of potential buyers: those who were looking at used luxury cars in within the ILX's price range. I'm one of those people, and I'm telling you, if the interior is as good, or similar in style to that of the new RDX concept and the TSX, I'm sold! It will all come down to how quick it feels on its feet with the 2.0.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

I think the ILX actually does add something new to the segment: Honda reliability. The most direct competitor might be the Jetta GLI, which is a semi-luxurious sport compact. In terms of specs, however, it's probably nothing terribly significant, apart from perhaps the hybrid version.

The gap issue will probably be addressed two ways. First, the new Accord will fill the TSX slot to some extent. Second, the TL/TSX replacement will move down a notch from the TL's current position. Acura can't easily sell $50k+ sedans (RL) generally, especially when their $40k sedan (TL) is so close in size and performance. The RL itself might not aim as high as Acura suggests. It will probably target Infiniti's M37 more than anything else.

I share your frustration with Honda, which I've had for awhile. Honda should lead, not play the "me too" game in so many segments, and I'd like it to emphasize its performance roots much more than it has lately. I understand the realities of the market that killed the S2000, for example, but it's time for Honda to get back on track. Let's hope the company bottomed out with the new Civic, and will rise from there.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM
not superchaged

I understand logically that the ILX isn't meant to appeal to the current TSX owners but rather to appeal to the current Civic or base level Accord owners. The ILX will compete with the Verano, A3, C30 as well as the GLI.

For me I hope the next TL is going to be emotionally appealing as well as logically. From what I have hear so far it will be. Rumors of a brand new SHAWD with the 3.5L DI plus 2 electric motors for V8 power. Honda's new 7 spd dual clutch auto. Small exteriors. I guess at the end for someone like me who is looking to upgrade each time I buy a car looking at the ILX is really pointless. It's more of my problem than Acura's.

PS: Nevertheless I'm really digging the new Fusion/MKZ :P
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Pro

For me I hope the next TL is going to be emotionally appealing as well as logically. From what I have hear so far it will be. Rumors of a brand new SHAWD with the 3.5L DI plus 2 electric motors for V8 power. Honda's new 7 spd dual clutch auto. Small exteriors. I guess at the end for someone like me who is looking to upgrade each time I buy a car looking at the ILX is really pointless. It's more of my problem than Acura's.

PS: Nevertheless I'm really digging the new Fusion/MKZ :P
I'm with you on both counts. I'd love to see a compelling TL, and I also like the new Fusion, but the "enthusiast" model will be auto trans only, which kills it for me. If it's a really good dual clutch type with paddle shifters...maybe. Hopefully a manual transmission will arrive later. Ford will have a 6MT in the Focus ST with the same engine, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to chuck it into the Fusion.

I'm probably in the minority here regarding a desire to "move up." I'd actually prefer a smaller car than the TSX for additional agility. The ILX could be great, as long as the trunk is large enough for family road trips. The TSX is just enough.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

I'm with you Nedmundo. If the ILX has better fuel economy and comparable trunk space, I wouldn't mind sizing down a bit. I loved my TSX but the ILX definitely caught my eye.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
^yea, I think the tsx is the biggest I'd go for a car. Any bigger, and it'd be really tough to find parking (especially in the metro areas that I frequent). The ILX is great because I feel that it retains the panache of a luxury brand through it's design and stance, while providing the practicality (mpgs and cost) of an economy car.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
RE: the smaller engine comments, don't forget that the U.S. will have very strict MPG requirements in the years to come. Also, there is much speculation again from very reliable sources that we will be seeing $4+/gallon gas very soon, with longer periods of time that it remains at that price point as well. Auto manufacturers would be very shortsighted not to prepare to market for this.

RE: the Accord coupe concept, I like it! However, I know not to get my hopes up too high when it comes to Honda's concepts, as the finished product is rarely as aggressive.

On a related note, Honda/Acura is really blurring the lines between their vehicles...and dare I say too much?!? I was shocked when I saw that the Accord got memory seats and some other Acura-only items prior during the last MMC. So if the Accord coupe is going to have pretty much everything the Acura has PLUS the option for a bigger engine and a 6-speed tranny, Auto or Manual (and also if I am looking for and/or wouldn't mind a coupe), why would I even bother w/ Acura at that point? Then on the same token, the price of the fully loaded Accord is inching up dangerously close to Acura territory, so will you be alienating some of that market?!?

It will all definitely be interesting to watch...
except the zdx
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ed_423
except the zdx
lol, and what a stellar seller that was, though for different reasons.
ed_423 (01-11-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i wonder how different the car would have been received here if acura said that this was the next tsx? i mean it has all the lux options and pretty much the same 2.4, just a different name...

i like the design of the 2nd gen but i don't like the size, the ilx being closer to the gen1 tsx is about as big as i would like...some could say honda is going back to its roots by delivering a small fun to drive car
Old 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

The ILX is missing lighted signals on the side view mirrors and no fogs (as of yet). Those are two features I really like...it's making me second guess how much I want the ILX. Then again, I'll need to test drive all the trims too...I'm a cheap bastard so going hybrid would be the cost efficient trim but I need to see how slow the car is with the hybrid engine.

Edit: and i wonder the same thing...what would people think if they called it the next tsx...

what if...what if...
Old 01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
i can see a bunch of these ILX's on the road like the camry's and 3 series

still dont see too many CU2's on the road which i like
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
not superchaged

I sure hope the 1.5 L hybrid system is not the same one in the CR-Z, that epic failure of a drive train. Why not do a F/I on the 2.0L instead of offering a 2.4L with only MT? It's so hypocritical to me that the crowd they are trying to draw in are the one who grow up driving automatics. Nine out of ten people I know in their twenties cannot drive stick and can careless about it to learn.

It's about time Honda develop an automatic transmission that fits their high revving engines. MT in the luxury market does not sell.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Drifting

I sure hope the 1.5 L hybrid system is not the same one in the CR-Z, that epic failure of a drive train. Why not do a F/I on the 2.0L instead of offering a 2.4L with only MT? It's so hypocritical to me that the crowd they are trying to draw in are the one who grow up driving automatics. Nine out of ten people I know in their twenties cannot drive stick and can careless about it to learn.

It's about time Honda develop an automatic transmission that fits their high revving engines. MT in the luxury market does not sell.
exactly...all the more reason to produce 6 speed autos on their engines. Honda is the only manufacturer (next to subaru) who still does this
Old 01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if they offered the 2.4L with a MT, I'd be more inclined to look at this car.

Granted they haven't released the specs of the 2L engine, but just praying its better than 150-160 hp.

Luxury isn't only about nicer interiors and options, its also about a better engine and newer tech.

I don't need a 300 hp engine, but give it something respectable.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Between the lack of advancement in motors and interiors, this might be my first and last Acura...time will tell.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by baksdak
Between the lack of advancement in motors and interiors, this might be my first and last Acura...time will tell.
not enough advancement in interiors? wasn't acura the first company to introduce gps with traffic capabilities? and ilx will have text messaging and pandora...I haven't seen one car announce that sort of functionality.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
not enough advancement in interiors? wasn't acura the first company to introduce gps with traffic capabilities? and ilx will have text messaging and pandora...I haven't seen one car announce that sort of functionality.
Toyota Camry has both of those features I believe. Not to mention SYNC and whatever that Velostar has in it.

Personally I think the ILX is neat, not certain of its place in the lineup and really dislike the direct copy of a Lexus backend. That being said lets see how the production model comes out.

O/T - I wish the NSX would launch EXACTLY like the concept.. holy crap.

Matt
Old 01-11-2012, 11:50 PM
not superchaged

Originally Posted by lmbebo
Luxury isn't only about nicer interiors and options, its also about a better engine and newer tech.

I don't need a 300 hp engine, but give it something respectable.
It might be different for those in their mid twenties to early thirty's, they tend to be more eco-friendly. A smaller and more efficient engine might be perfect for them.

For us who enjoys driving we are definitely going to want more than 160ish hp for 30K. The current generation of midsize sedans are already hitting about 270hp with the upper level engines and you can bet the next generation will hit 300hp. The one thing that bothers me is that my 33K car can't out run a midsize family sedan.

At the end I think it comes down to a different demographic where the interior and features will matter more than performance. To me, as long as the next TL can fulfill that role I will probably stick with Acura.

exactly...all the more reason to produce 6 speed autos on their engines. Honda is the only manufacturer (next to subaru) who still does this
Exactly....the current generation EVO has a super slick SST and it drives just fine. I don't understand the stupidity behind this exclusive to 6 SPD MT idea. If a Ferrari can be had with a dual clutch so can a ILX. For marketing purposes just look at how many 6 SPD TSX are actually out there. There is so little demand for a 30K luxury sedan with a MT. Not a good move by Honda.

Last edited by JackRydden224; 01-11-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Pro

It might be different for those in their mid twenties to early thirties, they tend to be more eco-friendly. A smaller and more efficient engine might be perfect for them.

At the end I think it comes down to a different demographic where the interior and features will matter more than performance. To me, as long as the next TL can fulfill that role I will probably stick with Acura.
I think you're right, and this probably explains the dominance of the word "luxury" in the ILX introduction, instead of "performance" or "sport." The luxury emphasis was bothering me, because I was hoping for a car with some of the rowdy spirit of the old Integra GS-R, combined with the refinement of our TSX. Maybe the 2.4/6MT version will deliver that, but Acura doesn't seem to be targeting the enthusiast market, at least not yet. We'll see how the promotion evolves; some ads might emphasize luxury and eco-sensitivity, while those in enthusiast publications might promote performance.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by defconskylude
still dont see too many CU2's on the road which i like
Dude this argument = major FAIL!

They are EVERYWHERE around here...

Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ressling
Dude this argument = major FAIL!

They are EVERYWHERE around here...

in my part of ct, the tsx is the top selling acura next to the mdx.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nedmundo
We'll see how the promotion evolves; some ads might emphasize luxury and eco-sensitivity, while those in enthusiast publications might promote performance.
I don't think you could plausibly position a product to two completely distinct audiences. The only work around would be to leverage acura's image and position this product as acura's take on performance. Thus, it can, in essence, capture the "luxury" and "eco-sensitivity" of the acura brand, while acting as a performance oriented articulation of the acura brand.

The only problem is that nor Acura or Honda are their yet in terms of brand.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I don't think you could plausibly position a product to two completely distinct audiences.
Toyota did it, LOL:

Old 01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Drifting

^yea, but people already believe that you can be powerful and economical. It's not something new. The commercial isn't touting handling or blazing acceleration or performance beyond power. It's a credible message, versus saying we provide it all.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
lol, and since when is 200 hp anything that they claim it to be in the commercial.

Quick Reply: ILX pictures