How's Your Leather Holding Up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey457
I don't think it's superficial, I think you have certain expectations with the purchase of a 30k automobile. I've seen a lot of threads about 2nd gen leather quality, and from my shopping experience I've noticed the same.

I would bring your concerns to the dealer so it's documented, and snap a few pics. If they don't fix it, at least you're building a case. You won't be the first or last to complain about it, but if they won't work with you on a warranty issue then escalate it. You're under warranty, give it hell.

I wonder if there are aftermarket solutions out there. Would suck to get rid of a great car for this, and would probably cost just as much to replace the leather as it would to trade for something else.
You make some good suggestions. I think I'll begin taking photos and document the wearing as it progresses. Also, you're right to say that it would probably be a bigger financial loss to trade the car as opposed to having it reupholstered at one point (in or out of warranty). My only reply to that, is that it's the principal of the matter and like I said before, this shouldn't be a problem TSX owners have to deal with. I would rather have slightly lower-grade leather that's firmer and wears better than this stuff.

Anyway, I'll start with the documentation process and find out how amenable the dealer is regarding my potential claim. If nothing else, at least there's a great place for breakfast in the same town they're located in.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went out with this broad and she said she only accept leather on her thighs. I told her we have a lot in common as I only like leather on my legs too and there's a lot of room in the back seat....Remember don't wear out the seats....wear out the leather

Rated PG-13
Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey457
Of course all materials age, but from what mphilleo is saying even going above and beyond with proactive care and maintenance (from the beginning of the service life) has still not shown positive results. And that's only after ~3k miles.

I'm not looking to impress anyone, but if I'm buying a 30k automobile I expect the leather to look new well past 3k miles. I go far above and far beyond what is expected for regular care and maintenance of my automobiles. If even that will not net positive results I may have to look elsewhere for my purchase. I can't imagine owning a sparkling, dent free, scratchless, well running Acura with 20k miles and torn leather seats.

It's a shame because I've owned several Honda products, and I'm sold on the 2nd gen TSX, but the leather is the only thing that has me questioning the purchase. If I buy CPO I'm going to have the dealer throw in an extra lower driver's seat cover ($450 ouch). Or I may have a local shop make full exact replacement covers for the front seats, but made out of better materials (double ouch).

I'd hate to change my purchase based solely on the quality of the leather, might just have to come up with a plan B instead.
If you really want to buy the TSX then make the dealership give you a wear and tear warranty on the leather for 5-10 years. If they want the sale they'll give it to you otherwise just walk away.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear

Just bought 2013 last year. My drivers seat is buckling and looks stretched already and only have 6000 miles on my car... plus i weigh 125 lbs. I'm going back AGAIN to the dealership because my winter coat transferred dye to the seat and they replaced the back. I even bought the simonize package and they said that should not happen. Very disappointed with the leather on my TSX. If it's stretching already...how will it look in another year or two???
Angie
Old 06-05-2014, 06:05 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Angietsx2013
Just bought 2013 last year. My drivers seat is buckling and looks stretched already and only have 6000 miles on my car... plus i weigh 125 lbs. I'm going back AGAIN to the dealership because my winter coat transferred dye to the seat and they replaced the back. I even bought the simonize package and they said that should not happen. Very disappointed with the leather on my TSX. If it's stretching already...how will it look in another year or two???
Angie
Do you have pictures of this "stretching"? I had 27k on my old TSX with the light seats and they looked new when I traded it and I'm somewhere between your weight and double your weight . My current car with 13k miles has the black leather and looks new.

The secret to maintaining leather is cleaning. I use LeatherMasters Strong cleaner avery few months, scrubbing any creases well and they all but go away.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The drivers side bolster had collapsed on my 10 tsx with 49,000 miles, previous owner. The dealer replaced the entire seat bottom. They did not replace the leather, however it looks great now with the new foam. I suggest anyone under warranty to do the same.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:20 PM
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 83 Posts
my leather is getting wear on it pretty quick and badly.. majority on the sides... how can i cause it from getting worse? besides conditioning and cleaning which i do.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Angietsx2013
Angie
What color are your seats?

and what is the simonize package?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:39 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
What color are your seats?

and what is the simonize package?
The "simonize package" is a protectant package sold by dealers that pours weird crap on the paint and interior surfaces. That stuff is at best worthless and can be harmful to paint and leather. What it really does is protect the dealer's bottom line because they spend $25 on product, $10 on labor and sell it for $600-$1000.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
The "simonize package" is a protectant package sold by dealers that pours weird crap on the paint and interior surfaces. That stuff is at best worthless and can be harmful to paint and leather. What it really does is protect the dealer's bottom line because they spend $25 on product, $10 on labor and sell it for $600-$1000.
For the interior, it's like some sort of leather conditioner. My MY13 came with it (I didn't know any better, it was part of the haggling/dealing with the stealers to get more stuff out of them), and now I wish I hadn't done it. One side effect in particular that really set off a red flag on this "package" is that when I pulled down the cup holder/arm rest in the back seats and left it in that position for a while, oils (or that's what it looked like) from the "conditioned" leather from the arm rest seemed to have transferred onto the already "conditioned" middle seat, causing a weird, saturated finish on the middle seat. This became obvious only when a passenger of mine lifted the arm rest up and let me know of how weird it looked.

I'm going to try and remove the simonize crap (at least the interior bit of it) and hopefully put something that's tried and true on, like lexol.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
it's been a year but there are wrinkles...
is there a way to replace leather if it rips? anyones?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:07 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
For the interior, it's like some sort of leather conditioner. My MY13 came with it (I didn't know any better, it was part of the haggling/dealing with the stealers to get more stuff out of them), and now I wish I hadn't done it. One side effect in particular that really set off a red flag on this "package" is that when I pulled down the cup holder/arm rest in the back seats and left it in that position for a while, oils (or that's what it looked like) from the "conditioned" leather from the arm rest seemed to have transferred onto the already "conditioned" middle seat, causing a weird, saturated finish on the middle seat. This became obvious only when a passenger of mine lifted the arm rest up and let me know of how weird it looked.

I'm going to try and remove the simonize crap (at least the interior bit of it) and hopefully put something that's tried and true on, like lexol.
Lexol isn't very good either. Use LeatherMasters Strong Cleaner followed by conditioner and your seats will continue to look new.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dwk331
it's been a year but there are wrinkles...
is there a way to replace leather if it rips? anyones?
Gee, I don't know. Car I replace a tire if it goes flat?

Of course it can be replaced. Any decent car upholstery shop can do repairs (just make sure that they work with airbags), replace the leather covers or you can get OE leather seats or from vendors like Katzkin.

Wrinkles don't turn into rips if you clean and condition the leather properly.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Intermediate

How much of the seats is real leather. From what I have read it sounds like only the perforated part is leather and the sides some fake stuff.

Tim
Old 06-13-2014, 03:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mcteague
How much of the seats is real leather. From what I have read it sounds like only the perforated part is leather and the sides some fake stuff.

Tim
In general, everything your butt, legs and back touches is leather. I believe the front of the headrest is leather as well. The sides and back are plastic.