Homelink Info found out

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Homelink Info found out

Hey everyone, just something I learned about regarding our homelink system. I was trying to program my gate opener to my homelink in the car. I found out that homelink only take frequency up to 400 mhz.My remote for the gate is 418 mhz, so it will not work.

Just wanted to let anyone know in case they are trying to get it to work and it will not.
The following 3 users liked this post by IndycarFaster:
ed_423 (05-10-2012), MC MiYoung3269 (05-10-2012), ttk5 (05-10-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 12:28 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
what are you gonan do then? just carry the remote controller??

is this an acura thing? or the tsx just isnt using a up to date unit?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Homelink lists compatible brands here: http://www.homelink.com/compatible if you want to swap out the controller.

Op, I got this from their site, it may be an acura range limitation but not homelink

First try the following troubleshooting tips:
  • Check the frequency of the device’s handheld transmitter (usually found on the back). HomeLink is compatible with radio-frequency devices operating between 288-433MHz.
  • Put a brand new battery in the handheld transmitter. During the programming process, the battery strength of an older battery will drain, decreasing the strength of the signal sent to HomeLink. A new battery will ensure a strong signal.
  • Retrain HomeLink holding the handheld transmitter at different distances and angles from the HomeLink button you are trying to program. Try 4-6 inches away, and at a different angle.
  • Cycle the handheld transmitter during programming: Press and hold the HomeLink button while you press and release the handheld transmitter every 2 seconds until the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash.
  • To verify HomeLink has programmed, press and hold the HomeLink button and observe the indicator light:
    • If the indicator light remains solid, it has picked up the signal and should operate the device.
    • If the indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds and turns solid, HomeLink has successfully picked up the rolling code signal. Please follow the rolling code instructions outlined in the "Programming a garage door opener" section to complete the process.
    • If the indicator light remains a slow blink, HomeLink has not picked up the signal from the handheld remote. Try programming the button again or choose another button to program.
If programming is still unsuccessful, you can either call our customer service number (1-800-355-3515) or contact us for complete programming assistance.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by IndycarFaster
Hey everyone, just something I learned about regarding our homelink system. I was trying to program my gate opener to my homelink in the car. I found out that homelink only take frequency up to 400 mhz.My remote for the gate is 418 mhz, so it will not work.

Just wanted to let anyone know in case they are trying to get it to work and it will not.
Where did you get that info? AFAIK Acura uses the standard Homelink unit.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I cannot set up my homelink for the life of me. Does anyone have a Genie garage door opener and managed to set up homelink?
Old 05-12-2012, 07:43 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NIVLAK
I cannot set up my homelink for the life of me. Does anyone have a Genie garage door opener and managed to set up homelink?
How old is your garage door opener?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Intermediate

I don't think it's that old. The model is Genie Silentmax 1000
Old 05-12-2012, 10:56 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I don't think it's that old. The model is Genie Silentmax 1000
The Genie is compatible with homelink. Did you do the second step on pushing the learn button on your opener?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going to have to carry the remote for gate at my apartments. It is is only temporary staying here so not a major issue but still inconvenient.

I called the maker of our phone/gate entry system and asked him if was compatible with homelink. He said most models and remotes are but homelink takes 400 MHz only, and my remote says 418 MHz. So it wont work. Trust me, I will be happy to have a home versus apartments in South FL
Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by IndycarFaster
I am going to have to carry the remote for gate at my apartments. It is is only temporary staying here so not a major issue but still inconvenient.

I called the maker of our phone/gate entry system and asked him if was compatible with homelink. He said most models and remotes are but homelink takes 400 MHz only, and my remote says 418 MHz. So it wont work. Trust me, I will be happy to have a home versus apartments in South FL
Whoever you spoke with was wrong. Homelink goes to 433MHz. Please don't spread incorrect information as fact.

If you have an issue with programming, go to Homelink
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
The Genie is compatible with homelink. Did you do the second step on pushing the learn button on your opener?
I've tried it but it still won't sync
Old 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Give me all the steps you've followed.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I had no problem. Just followed the instructions in the owner's manual. I have a rolling code opener.

Not sure which model Genie I have, but it's screw drive, lifetime warranty. It's only maybe 2 or 3 years old, at the most. Took me two tries, since I did something wrong the first time around. Works like a charm now!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Go to the homelink website that I included a link for in the post above yours and enter your car, then your garage door opener model and follow those steps. I'd bet you skipped one.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It took me forever to figure out how to program the homelink, but I finally did it. The problem is that the instructions in the manual are not 100% correct.

As quoted from above, the manual state:

Retrain HomeLink holding the handheld transmitter at different distances and angles from the HomeLink button you are trying to program. Try 4-6 inches away, and at a different angle.

In at least 2 cases, both mine and my friends, the "learn" button for the garage opener is NOT on the hand-held unit. So holding the garage remote up to the homelink system is useless. In my home Genie (from Sears purchased about 11 years ago), the "learn" button is actually on the outside of the motor unit up near the ceiling, (the motor that actually lifts the door open.)

To train my Homelink, I parked right underneath the garage door opener motor, opened my car door, reach up and pressed the learn button on the motor casing. A light above it starts to flash. I had 30 seconds to duck down into my cabin and press/hold the homelink "learn" key. As soon as I did that, it worked.

So - don't hold the garage remote unit next to the homelink. Look up above your garage and look for that button on the box holding the motor.

Good luck!

Ben
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Benbox
It took me forever to figure out how to program the homelink, but I finally did it. The problem is that the instructions in the manual are not 100% correct.

As quoted from above, the manual state:

Retrain HomeLink holding the handheld transmitter at different distances and angles from the HomeLink button you are trying to program. Try 4-6 inches away, and at a different angle.

In at least 2 cases, both mine and my friends, the "learn" button for the garage opener is NOT on the hand-held unit. So holding the garage remote up to the homelink system is useless. In my home Genie (from Sears purchased about 11 years ago), the "learn" button is actually on the outside of the motor unit up near the ceiling, (the motor that actually lifts the door open.)

To train my Homelink, I parked right underneath the garage door opener motor, opened my car door, reach up and pressed the learn button on the motor casing. A light above it starts to flash. I had 30 seconds to duck down into my cabin and press/hold the homelink "learn" key. As soon as I did that, it worked.

So - don't hold the garage remote unit next to the homelink. Look up above your garage and look for that button on the box holding the motor.

Good luck!

Ben
Incorrect.

Programming a rolling code is a two step process. First, the homelink transmitter needs to recognize what your remote is transmitting (holding remote up to homelink buttons and pressing both at the same time until the homelink light flashes quickly) and then to recognize the rolling from your opener (pushing the learn button on the motor, then the homelink button that you previously trained to your remote)

Skipping the first step may work with some openers that use very poor security but shouldn't work at all except with a defective opener.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's interesting, I had been screwing around with the garage door remote and already had gotten the code to flash quickly, prior to finding the learn button on the motor. I hadn't realized that those were 2 related steps, so point taken, you do need to hold the remote up to Homelink and press at same time.

My real point is that the documentation in the manual doesn't say that in many cases, the "learn" button is on the motor, not the garage remote. I suspect a lot of people reading this thread didn't realize that either, which might be why it's not working for many people.

Ben
Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

That's interesting, I had been screwing around with the garage door remote and already had gotten the code to flash quickly, prior to finding the learn button on the motor. I hadn't realized that those were 2 related steps, so point taken, you do need to hold the remote up to Homelink and press at same time.

My real point is that the documentation in the manual doesn't say that in many cases, the "learn" button is on the motor, not the garage remote. I suspect a lot of people reading this thread didn't realize that either, which might be why it's not working for many people.

Ben
Correct. The learn button is ALWAYS on the motor itself. Most people (and I suspect the OP) don't realize that it is a two step process with most newer openers.

Here is how it works in very basic terms.

The manufacturer makes a handful of similar remotes. Step one tells the homelink what frequency to transmit on.

The second step tells the car "not only do I use a particular frequency, but I also change the "code" each time I am used. Here is the method I use to determine the next code so I can sync up with you every time you push the button."
Old 05-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine said this very clearly in the flow diagram. Page 166, step 4a. "The remote has a rolling code. Press the 'learn' button on the remote-controlled device (e.g. garage door opener)."

Obviously, if your remote controlled device is something else, then you'll be pressing the learn button on that (if it uses a rolling code system).
Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Genie door opener and can't get it to work with my Acura...will have to try your steps again. The weird part is that I used the exact same steps and it worked with my wife's Jeep's Homelink no problem.