Heresy - Help me decide AGAINST a new TSX

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
I think he's looking for a 4 door sedan and not a 2 door coupe, so the Bimmer 1 series is not applicable.
Bah. For the longest time in my car hunt, I had the same 4 door requirement. Then I tested the 128. That requirement has been exempted for the 1-series. It handles like a dream -- seriously love it.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hah! Yeah, I really do want a 4 door. But I still might test drive a 128...

Originally Posted by spurfan15
Bah. For the longest time in my car hunt, I had the same 4 door requirement. Then I tested the 128. That requirement has been exempted for the 1-series. It handles like a dream -- seriously love it.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by risc
Just for the hell of it, I test drove a 328i 6MT with Sport Package yesterday. I gotta say, the clutch was something I just couldn't get used to. There's A LOT of clutch travel and the accelerator pedal needs to be slammed down to even get any kind of acceleration. Maybe it's because it was my first time driving a European manual, but I just couldn't get used to the way it drove. I was actually nervous driving the thing. The handling and suspension was nice and brakes were really good though.
Drove a few 3 series on Saturday as well as a few other competitors. I thought the MT is the 328 was terrible compared to my 04 TSX. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Power was a well above what I'm used to in my 04 MT TSX though.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
CEO of IMHO

So, the MT in the Bimmer stunk. How about the other competitors?

Originally Posted by dom
Drove a few 3 series on Saturday as well as a few other competitors. I thought the MT is the 328 was terrible compared to my 04 TSX. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Power was a well above what I'm used to in my 04 MT TSX though.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Pro

The 3 series coupe has really good styling, but the 1 series is .

Your main choices are staying with a TSX, or spending more and getting a 328 or A4. I would at least test drive the G37, as it has nearly the same exterior dimensions as the TSX and a whole lot more power.

Last edited by JD23; 06-08-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by katmai
Yes I have one, a tech 6MT. I bought it on 11/22/08. It has about 4k miles on it now. It started making the pinging sound at about 1500 miles. Same conditions as I've read here from most...about 2000-2500 rpm, under a slight load. For instance, say I'm cruising about 35mph in 5th and just giving it enough gas to maintain speed...as soon as I press the gas just enough to go a bit faster, it starts pinging. I don't hear it at higher rpms because either the engine is louder and drowning out the noise, or its not making it. I've had 4 friends verify the sound. One is a Honda fanatic and said he'd be pissed if his car was making that noise. Its faint, but loud enough to notice everytime the engine makes it.

About not buying one..that was just a response to the op. When I test drove the car, it had 1 mile on it, and two of us test drove it. We know for sure it didn't make the sound then, and I know during the first 1500 it didn't either. I've always used 93 octane in the car. I still like the car, but if I had to do it again and knew of the problems I was going to have, I wouldn't have bought it. Honda/Acura service hasn't been very encouraging to me either. The dealers I deal with still have to typical Honda attitude...they're the best, they don't break yadda yadda. I don't know how many times I have to explain to them when various things are BROKEN. lol

I've had my glass moonroof panel replaced due to a defect. I also found out it was not mounted in the car properly due to either bad assembly, bad supplier manufacturing, or an out of spec body. I happen to live around a lot of Honda suppliers, and although this car is made in Japan, I actually dropped off my car to the american subsidiary of the moonroof supplier to have them take a look (They make most of Honda's sunroofs for north america). Low and behold some of the Japanese were there and were EXTREMELY interested in taking a look and inspecting my car. They brought out their tools and poked and prodded, and concluded in their Japanese accented bad Engrish words..."this glass is shit". The seal is defective, and the panel is mounted too far forward in the body - the rear is not sealing very well. I wasn't there but my friends who worked there told me about it. They said my car was causing a lot of commotion between the Japanese and american engineering. Apparently the US engineers were thinking they designed it, but then the Japanese stepped in and said "no, we designed that shit." I was also told later that the Japanese called Japan HQ to inquire about the "shit" panel. The response was its a bad design and will probably be changed on the mid model refresh. For those that care, I was told the moonroof assembly is the same one as in the US accord, but with a different glass panel.

On a side note, my moonroof panel is mounted farther back this time so the seal is better, but I wanted to move it up to make it more flush with the roof, and maybe move it just a bit more back. The front seal looks like its still getting squashed. Well, low and behold the adjustment screws are already at their max in the directions I want to go. A person involved with quality says something is not engineered or manufactured correctly to be maxed out and still be sitting low and forward in the roof.

Once again I like the car...its a nice car (my moonroof is ok), but if I had to do it again......... :-D
So in summary and in conclusion, your engine makes a ping and your sunroof is a few millimeters off. Is that correct? My TSX might have these problems right now and I'm not even noticing. Can you please describe the problems you are having with the car in more detail, setting aside the quality of customer care? Does the moon roof actually leak? Is the pinging embarrassingly loud or barely a whisper? You say various things are broken. What else?

And an aside, why do you have the car in 5th at 35 mph?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
They didn't have the MT. I drove an IS250 AWD, A4 2.0T and C300. I'd rather have my 04 TSX than the IS. Interior was nice but that was about it IMO. The C300 was nice, no complaints whatsoever. The A4 has the worst steering feel I've ever felt. Far too over boosted. It was without sport package though so I'm not sure how that would change things.

The 328 was my favorite of the 4 until I drove a 335 and 335d.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you mentioned the G37 and if you go for the coupe i think you'll get your moneys worth.. its not as attractive as the TSX though, its quite the quandary I was lookin at G37 -s coupes and ended up buying a tsx lol, don't ask me how but i walked across teh street and fell in love with the tsx on the spot.. not to mention the bang for the buck. to get a equally equipped car from lexus, bmw or any other major manufacturer you're looking to spend easily 40k + I say keep your tsx, fix the minor dings and dents and get it detailed and drive it like its brand new.. you'll love your bank account in 2 years a lot more then a new car
Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem with this "dilemna" is that none of the competitors can match the features with the price. The TSX has so many of the features that competitors have as options that at the end, they cost at least 5-10k more. I feel the only things the other competitors have against the TSX are a more powerful engine + RWD. So in the end you're either gonna have to stick with your current car, pay a lot more for a competitor's or buy a used car.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's way too generalized. MT in Bimmers are quite good, perhaps the clutch not quite as good as Acura. It's just different. Some people do the CDV delete and some get a short shift kit. IMO it works fine for most people in most situations.

At least it's better than G37.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
They didn't have the MT. I drove an IS250 AWD, A4 2.0T and C300. I'd rather have my 04 TSX than the IS. Interior was nice but that was about it IMO. The C300 was nice, no complaints whatsoever. The A4 has the worst steering feel I've ever felt. Far too over boosted. It was without sport package though so I'm not sure how that would change things.

hehehe so you went to the BMW Comparison Drive too huh? My first comment after driving the A4 was "feels like I'm driving a Camry"....I was shocked cause other A4's I've driven were not like that in the steering department so I was really surprised. I still ranked it 328>A4>C300>IS250 though....I came away thinking I'd rather have the TSX/Integra than any one of them except the bimmer.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem with this "dilemna" is that none of the competitors can match the features with the price. The TSX has so many of the features that competitors have as options that at the end, they cost at least 5-10k more. I feel the only things the other competitors have against the TSX are a more powerful engine + RWD. So in the end you're either gonna have to stick with your current car, pay a lot more for a competitor's or buy a used car.
True to an extent; what others also have over TSX are many more options that TSX doesn't have; some of them are expensive electronic gadgets, some are expensive engineering stuff (Audi's Drive Select), some are worthwhile options to help customize your vehicle - for example, BMW offers several 2-tone leather options (red, brown, etc.) with various wood trims / aluminum. Of course one has to pay for them, and for some they are worthwhile.

Personally, I don't care for the high tech / audio stuff on a car - more things that can break and costly to fix. Stuff like bluetooth extracts the driver.

p.s. I tested A4 with Prestige/S-line one. I agree, the steering is pretty bad - too light and loose on a straight road.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
Stuff like bluetooth extracts the driver.
Bluetooth...extracts?

I know you meant distracts, but the unintended dental pun was kinda funny.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TMQ
That's way too generalized. MT in Bimmers are quite good, perhaps the clutch not quite as good as Acura. It's just different. Some people do the CDV delete and some get a short shift kit. IMO it works fine for most people in most situations.

And your statement isn't too generalized.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Go with the bigger motor you'll be happy you did.

The TSX (at least the 1st Gen) has a great clutch, better than the BMW's I think but the BMW has better handling, is a more solid ride, is RWD, and prices on CPOs are very good plus it has timeless styling.

Electronic toys are not as good though.

Depends on what you like. I'd get a 335 coupe if I was in the market.

Just for the hell of it, I test drove a 328i 6MT with Sport Package yesterday. I gotta say, the clutch was something I just couldn't get used to. There's A LOT of clutch travel and the accelerator pedal needs to be slammed down to even get any kind of acceleration. Maybe it's because it was my first time driving a European manual, but I just couldn't get used to the way it drove. I was actually nervous driving the thing. The handling and suspension was nice and brakes were really good though.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I personally was never a fan of the 09 TSX and never will be. It just looks too much like a Toyota Camry now.

I say enjoy your paid off TSX and get a new mod or part for your 05 TSX.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM
CEO of IMHO

I gotta say, I'm pretty amazed/impressed with how many folks here truly think the 3-series is a better car, period. Very interesting that the TSX crowd leans in that direction vs. other competitors.

So, Dom, will your next car be a Bimmer, or are you staying with Team Acura?

Originally Posted by dom

Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I wouldn't take a 3 series over a TSX simply due to maintenance time/cost value. Man they sure are fun to drive though! I drove my dad's 2006 330i for about 10 months before turning it in.

I really like the new 1 series too. Highly underrated BMW if you ask me.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
You know what's going to happen? After the first 1000 miles, you'll start pining for your TSX again, simply because, as you said, it's one of the best combination of your needs in its class.

Why not just keep the car? I don't know if you're leasing or financing, but it sounds like you really do like your car. Keep it then. You save money, and you get a car that you love.

Other than that, my vote goes for an 07-08 3G TL-S 6MT Navi, if you can find one. Lots of tech stuff, plenty of power, and it handles fairly well too. As you've acknowledged, Aciras are best suited to your needs. If it's still true, I see no reason to switch.

Just out of curiosity, what other Acuras have you owned?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TMQ

Maybe they are good, but not IMO ....compared to the 6MT in the TSX. IMO it was night and day. Then again that was the only MT Bimmer I've ever driven. I've been told that the MT in the 328 is different from the one in the 335. But at this point if I were to buy a BMW it would not be with an MT.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:20 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

I gotta say, I'm pretty amazed/impressed with how many folks here truly think the 3-series is a better car, period. Very interesting that the TSX crowd leans in that direction vs. other competitors.

So, Dom, will your next car be a Bimmer, or are you staying with Team Acura?
Not sure I'm in the market just yet. But like you, I think I want to test the waters. I've driven nothing but Honda/Acura for 16 years. I think I'd like to go RWD with power. 335 likely but the 335d really opened my eyes.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 5thTo2nd
hehehe so you went to the BMW Comparison Drive too huh? My first comment after driving the A4 was "feels like I'm driving a Camry"....I was shocked cause other A4's I've driven were not like that in the steering department so I was really surprised. I still ranked it 328>A4>C300>IS250 though....I came away thinking I'd rather have the TSX/Integra than any one of them except the bimmer.
Did you drive both the Xdrive AT 328 and the RWD 328 with the MT?

I noticed a significant difference between the 2 in terms of steering feel. Besides AWD the only difference was the MT car had the sports package. Did you notice the same?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:17 AM
CEO of IMHO

Can you dive a little more into what you mean by 'really opened my eyes'? Curious minds want to know what about the 335 was such a transformative experience!

Originally Posted by dom
Not sure I'm in the market just yet. But like you, I think I want to test the waters. I've driven nothing but Honda/Acura for 16 years. I think I'd like to go RWD with power. 335 likely but the 335d really opened my eyes.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Can you dive a little more into what you mean by 'really opened my eyes'? Curious minds want to know what about the 335 was such a transformative experience!
I was referring to the 335 diesel when I said opened my eyes. That was the first time I've ever experienced that kind of torque. 425 lb-ft at under 2000 RPM is not something I'm used to. And it was nice.

The 335 wasn't bad either. The TSX has always felt underpowered to me. But it felt REALLY underpowered when I got back into it after wards.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM
CEO of IMHO

I'm honestly not sure if I'd be pining for the TSX or not... I think it all depends on what I'm willing to give up in order to get something else.

For instance, I am not personally blown away by the RWD experience. It's not that I've extensively driven RWD cars, but when I briefly have, it's not been a night-and-day experience for me. Note that I don't 'track drive' or push my car to the limits on a regular basis. I just really like a great-handling car in average conditions (to/from work, a jaunt to the store, vacation drives, etc.).

Yeah, there are times when I can feel the weakness of the FWD platform, and I picture in my mind the added sturdiness that RWD would offer me right then and there. But there are plenty of times here in Philly in the winter when I also know that my FWD has kept me safe and sure where RWD would have likely failed me! For those who have winter weather, it seems to me that it's either FWD or AWD. RWD does not seem to be a viable option -- is that broadly agreed upon here?

Why not just keep my car, you ask? OK, I don't want any mocking from the crowd on this, ok? I really want traffic integration in my NAVI. So, it's really less about the car itself and more about the integration of new, usable technology. Remember above where I said that there are times where I knew FWD was failing me? Well, there have been plenty of times where not having integrated traffic alerts have failed me as well. And at these times, I think "damn, if I only would have pulled the trigger on that 09 TSX..."

See, to me, driving is a bunch of things -- which includes handling, pick-up, stopping, and -- oh -- getting from here to there. With that last bit, traffic NAVI would be quite the helpful driving tool!

OK, another reason why I desire an upgrade -- the reviews of the 2G TSX's stereo makes me drool. I'm a big audio buff, and the thought of increased road-noise dampening on top of a high-end audio system would make me quite happy.

Oh, and the integrated bluetooth handfreelink. Now, I've installed my own bluetooth carkit (Moto IHF1000), but it's really not all that great... people just can't hear me well. So, it's not that viable. I'm hoping/believing that an OEM bluetooth system makes it a viable in-car communication tool. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

And, the new TSX has more power than my 05... I'm looking forward to more low-end power. I fear that the 09/10 still won't be enough, which is why I'm looking beyond Acura right now.

And that new 2G guillotine... not digging it. Would need to body-color it, which is a shame. I don't like touching manufacturer design. Not my bag. But... that painted, plastic beak... heck -- my fiance's new Kia Soul looks higher-end in the nose!

So, there's a longer ramble of my inner thoughts of jumping into my next TSX or looking at a Bimmer or G37. Honestly, the A4 is out because it has no traffic nav.

Jon

Originally Posted by AMAN1
You know what's going to happen? After the first 1000 miles, you'll start pining for your TSX again, simply because, as you said, it's one of the best combination of your needs in its class.

Why not just keep the car? I don't know if you're leasing or financing, but it sounds like you really do like your car. Keep it then. You save money, and you get a car that you love.

Other than that, my vote goes for an 07-08 3G TL-S 6MT Navi, if you can find one. Lots of tech stuff, plenty of power, and it handles fairly well too. As you've acknowledged, Aciras are best suited to your needs. If it's still true, I see no reason to switch.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 AM
CEO of IMHO

I've had 2 Integra's and my current TSX.

Originally Posted by AMAN1

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM
CEO of IMHO

So, does the prospect of the V6 TSX intrigue you at all? Or does the lack of MT and/or price-point diminish the appeal?

Originally Posted by dom
I was referring to the 335 diesel when I said opened my eyes. That was the first time I've ever experienced that kind of torque. 425 lb-ft at under 2000 RPM is not something I'm used to. And it was nice.

The 335 wasn't bad either. The TSX has always felt underpowered to me. But it felt REALLY underpowered when I got back into it after wards.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Pro

I'm honestly not sure if I'd be pining for the TSX or not... I think it all depends on what I'm willing to give up in order to get something else.

For instance, I am not personally blown away by the RWD experience. It's not that I've extensively driven RWD cars, but when I briefly have, it's not been a night-and-day experience for me. Note that I don't 'track drive' or push my car to the limits on a regular basis. I just really like a great-handling car in average conditions (to/from work, a jaunt to the store, vacation drives, etc.).

Yeah, there are times when I can feel the weakness of the FWD platform, and I picture in my mind the added sturdiness that RWD would offer me right then and there. But there are plenty of times here in Philly in the winter when I also know that my FWD has kept me safe and sure where RWD would have likely failed me! For those who have winter weather, it seems to me that it's either FWD or AWD. RWD does not seem to be a viable option -- is that broadly agreed upon here?

Why not just keep my car, you ask? OK, I don't want any mocking from the crowd on this, ok? I really want traffic integration in my NAVI. So, it's really less about the car itself and more about the integration of new, usable technology. Remember above where I said that there are times where I knew FWD was failing me? Well, there have been plenty of times where not having integrated traffic alerts have failed me as well. And at these times, I think "damn, if I only would have pulled the trigger on that 09 TSX..."

See, to me, driving is a bunch of things -- which includes handling, pick-up, stopping, and -- oh -- getting from here to there. With that last bit, traffic NAVI would be quite the helpful driving tool!

OK, another reason why I desire an upgrade -- the reviews of the 2G TSX's stereo makes me drool. I'm a big audio buff, and the thought of increased road-noise dampening on top of a high-end audio system would make me quite happy.

Oh, and the integrated bluetooth handfreelink. Now, I've installed my own bluetooth carkit (Moto IHF1000), but it's really not all that great... people just can't hear me well. So, it's not that viable. I'm hoping/believing that an OEM bluetooth system makes it a viable in-car communication tool. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

And, the new TSX has more power than my 05... I'm looking forward to more low-end power. I fear that the 09/10 still won't be enough, which is why I'm looking beyond Acura right now.

And that new 2G guillotine... not digging it. Would need to body-color it, which is a shame. I don't like touching manufacturer design. Not my bag. But... that painted, plastic beak... heck -- my fiance's new Kia Soul looks higher-end in the nose!

So, there's a longer ramble of my inner thoughts of jumping into my next TSX or looking at a Bimmer or G37. Honestly, the A4 is out because it has no traffic nav.

Jon
It seems like the V6 TSX would be a good choice for you if you aren't intent on having a MT. A FWD TSX or TL handle very well during normal driving and will not feel dramatically different from RWD until they are pushed hard. Based on your preferences, it doesn't seem like the price premium for BMW handling will be worthwhile. In terms of all weather driving,
Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

So, does the prospect of the V6 TSX intrigue you at all? Or does the lack of MT and/or price-point diminish the appeal?
Still not sold on the styling on the 2nd gen so its sort of a non starter. Can't comment on price as it may actually be better positioned up here.

As for your comments about RWD in the snow belt. Snow Tires.

My father owned a RWD GMC Safari up here for 13 or 14 years and we never had a problem, without snow tires. RWD with snows while not as good as FWD or AWD with snows its enough and better than FWD with all season's.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM
CEO of IMHO

Interesting point. I hadn't considered how important MT was to me. I have always driven MT -- really love the control of it. But, my fiancee' can't drive it, so it limits its utility a bit. But at the same time, I really like the power it provides with the 4 banger, and other than when in traffic, it's just a joy to have. This is an area (MT/AT) that I had not fully considered digging down to see how important it is to me vs. other aspects of driving. I have always just assumed stick. Hmmm....

Originally Posted by JD23
It seems like the V6 TSX would be a good choice for you if you aren't intent on having a MT. A FWD TSX or TL handle very well during normal driving and will not feel dramatically different from RWD until they are pushed hard. Based on your preferences, it doesn't seem like the price premium for BMW handling will be worthwhile. In terms of all weather driving,
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

The V6 should be in dealers within a couple weeks I think. The least you could do is go for a test drive.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
do you need backseats??? if you don't need backseats you could go to a total sports car. forget the 135 - get a cayman S. used car prices on Caymans/Boxsters have come way down. if you like the 135, you'd *love* a midengined Porsche. I have no doubt you could find a certified Boxster or Cayman in the 30-35k range. similar in price to what you'd pay for a new TSX.

if you really really need back seats - the best bang for the buck sedan is the 335. you can find nice used ones for 29-32k all over so cal. certified on a dealer lot. if you could spend as much as $35k you could find one loaded with nav. add a Vishnu chip and you are pushign close to 400hp. you would forget all about your TSX after having that...

but since to get this price yo uhave to buy CPO - and if you finance it over 5-6 yrs like most buyers will - once your warranty expires and you start getting multiple $1000+ repair bills (while still making your car payment) you will MISS the TSX again.

you gotta pay to play.

if I was looking for something "like" a 335 or TSX - but wanted the "best of both worlds" in terms of something somewhat sporty/powerful but still reliable - i'd look at the 3G TL-S.

they are all loaded with nav, BT, heated seats, etc etc. you can find them in the high 20s certified. not nearly as fast as a 135/335, but "fast enough". won't handle as well as the 135/335 but it's "good enough". off warranty it will likely keep running and running and not break the bank. like i said - you gotta pay to play.

if you want power/handling in a sedan - and you can afford to pay - go 335.

if you want something with back seats, decent performance, that is somewhat sporty - but is reliable/dependable - get the 3G TL-S.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom

It's bad ass diesel. Twin turbo 265 hp 425 lb-ft @ 1750 rpm; oh and did I mention 23/33 MPG? I have only 3 wishes: 1) No urea additive, 2) Manual transmission option, 3) Cheaper.

This is why I was hoping for the diesel TSX for so long. It would have been -- in all likelihood -- 1) urea-free, 2) MT available (as it is in Europe), 3) at least decently priced. It would have been less powerful, but still 180 HP, 280 lb-ft torque with GREAT fuel economy -- probably something like 30/50 MPG; that would also give you like 800 mile range on the freeway. What a great car it would have been for the American market... and they pulled the plug. More Americans need eye-opening experiences like you. We need more diesel options. They're great daily drivers. Lots of torque deliverable at low RPMs -- they just pull themselves away from stops with almost no effort; and they're very efficient.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by spurfan15
More Americans need eye-opening experiences like you. We need more diesel options.
Honestly, before Saturday, I was on the other side. Never had much interest in deisels. Not once during the 2 drives I took in the 535d did I notice that it was a diesel. I read all about about how they were no longer loud, dirty etc but I guess I had to see it to believe it. I guess I was used to hearing loud old Jettas and Golfs.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dom
Honestly, before Saturday, I was on the other side. Never had much interest in deisels. Not once during the 2 drives I took in the 535d did I notice that it was a diesel. I read all about about how they were no longer loud, dirty etc but I guess I had to see it to believe it. I guess I was used to hearing loud old Jettas and Golfs.
It's understandable. They used to suck pretty badly. Those loud old Jettas and Golfs, and those 1980s Iraqi government-style Mercedes (as I like to call them) were and still are downright obnoxious and odorous. Diesel has undergone quite a transformation. Modern diesels coming from Germany and Honda are quiet and pretty darn clean, and you still get the benefits of Diesel -- the low end torque, fuel efficiency, and lots of durability. Coupled with a good turbo, they can get respectable horsepower too.

I think most people have those same ideas about diesel. Past memories and experiences are hard to shake off. Getting diesels to North America is an uphill battle, because many consumers won't even look at them. We'll see if interest eventually picks up. I sure hope it does, because I'd still love to see a Honda diesel over here at some point.

Oh and I should amend my statement: More North Americans need eye-opening experiences like you.

Last edited by spurfan15; 06-10-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Thats interesting to hear Dom. You might remember when i first joined Azine i was looking at a TDI but ended up passing because it was a 6 month waiting list to order one. I believe here in Canada over half of the Jetta's sold are TDI's.

I have always been impressed with reading about all the luxury models in Europe that have the performance deisels versions but are never available here. I do looove low end power and i am also looking forward to trying out the 335d in the fall....especially after what you said as i always thought you never liked engines such as whats in the 335d.

Sorry to take it off topic for a second but how was the 335d at higher rpm and I assume the handling was still very much like a Bmw?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I've sold a few MB Bluetecs. They are nice cars but I hear cold starting them is tough when the temps get below freezing. I hear the BMW diesel is pretty awesome, too.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cp3117

Sorry to take it off topic for a second but how was the 335d at higher rpm and I assume the handling was still very much like a Bmw?
That's the one caveat. The course wasn't at all setup for high rpm runs so I can't answer that. But 265 is half way between the 328 and 335 so I'd imagine its just fine even with the low redline. 5500 I think.

I think I hit about 90-100km before the emergency brake section of the course, it definitely wasn't running out of breath.

Handling was just as good as the 335.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dom
Did you drive both the Xdrive AT 328 and the RWD 328 with the MT?

I noticed a significant difference between the 2 in terms of steering feel. Besides AWD the only difference was the MT car had the sports package. Did you notice the same?
Nope, only test drove the Xdrive 328....we only got 3 drives each so we had to be selective and I really wanted to see the A4/IS/328 back-to-back.

You're making me regret not taking the MT though....I'm guessing you meant the MT had better steering feel, right?
Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 23109VC
if you want power/handling in a sedan - and you can afford to pay - go 335.

if you want something with back seats, decent performance, that is somewhat sporty - but is reliable/dependable - get the 3G TL-S.
completely agree with this.

Quick Reply: Heresy - Help me decide AGAINST a new TSX