Heads up - there may be an issue with the TSX Auto Tranny's

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Pinging is improper ignition. Sounds like a few marbles rattling around in a can.

You'll get pinging on our cars under heavy accelleration if you use regular gas and sometimes in the morning. Infrequent pinging generally doesn't cause problems
Am very familiar with pinging....from using regular gas, as you mentioned....
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the way it's supposed to act, but I have the hardest time keeping the transmission in a lower rev range. The slightest movement of the accelerator and it wants to downshift and/or jump up 500-1000 rpm, even just driving on local roads. It's sort of annoying and I'm sure not the best for the mileage.

The car only has ~600 miles on it so far, and I've got the 7yr/70k AcuraCare warranty, so I'm not too worried, but it is somewhat annoying.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by animes2k
I'm not sure if this is the way it's supposed to act, but I have the hardest time keeping the transmission in a lower rev range. The slightest movement of the accelerator and it wants to downshift and/or jump up 500-1000 rpm, even just driving on local roads. It's sort of annoying and I'm sure not the best for the mileage.

The car only has ~600 miles on it so far, and I've got the 7yr/70k AcuraCare warranty, so I'm not too worried, but it is somewhat annoying.
Sounds like the computer is trying to keep the car from lagging in a higher gear. Its like when you start off in 2nd vs 1st in a manual car. The car really lags, nice for slick spots but very hard on the tranny.

When you downshift, the tranny should rev up to match the spin of the motor to the spinning of the clutches in the tranny so that there is less shock to the system.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks. This is my first automatic car... I'm not sure I've put more than 500 miles on an automatic before. And I went for the clutch this morning. Thankfully nobody was behind me
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Thanks. This is my first automatic car... I'm not sure I've put more than 500 miles on an automatic before. And I went for the clutch this morning. Thankfully nobody was behind me
No prob! This is my first Auto with Manual mode. I miss the quick shifting of my manuals but I love the fact you cannot misshift on this auto/manual tranny in the TSX.

On another topic but related, I noticed in my TL loaner the other day that the TL will shift from 1st to 2nd by itself even in manual mode if you are not getting on the gas. I dont think our TSXs do that. Seems that ours will hold the gear no matter how much you press the gas. I could be wrong. Anyone else notice this?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TrojanTSX
No prob! This is my first Auto with Manual mode. I miss the quick shifting of my manuals but I love the fact you cannot misshift on this auto/manual tranny in the TSX.

On another topic but related, I noticed in my TL loaner the other day that the TL will shift from 1st to 2nd by itself even in manual mode if you are not getting on the gas. I dont think our TSXs do that. Seems that ours will hold the gear no matter how much you press the gas. I could be wrong. Anyone else notice this?
I haven't driven a new TL, but my dad's 02 TL-S is like that.

I did run out the TSX is sport mode and bounced off the rev limiter in first, though.

It feels weird saying "this is my first automatic" since I've been driving for 20 years. I really wanted a stick, but the rest of the car warranted caving on the transmission
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 533 Likes on 343 Posts
Yep, the '12 TL has been programmed to do this and our TSXs were not.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My TSX did the same, and then it seemed to do it less as the mileage increased. On my way home each day I take an exit ramp which was where it always did it....at first I was like "whoa, WTF is this", but now it doesn't do it anymore. I have to be driving the car really hard for it to downshift, where early on it would just downshift at the slightest change.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fxcarden
My TSX did the same, and then it seemed to do it less as the mileage increased. On my way home each day I take an exit ramp which was where it always did it....at first I was like "whoa, WTF is this", but now it doesn't do it anymore. I have to be driving the car really hard for it to downshift, where early on it would just downshift at the slightest change.
ECUs will adjust to how you drive now a days.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anecdotal data point: bought 2010 TSX in October with 10K miles... was Certified, so oil at 100%, etc... but took to my longtime mechanic at 14K mi to introduce the car and had an oil change anyway. He noted and was surprised the trans fluid was a little off color for less than 15K. Changed, as its over 2 yrs old... but will watch this in future...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
ECUs will adjust to how you drive now a days.
excellent........I wish the GPS would do the same.

Also, I checked the trans fluid at 22K miles last week and it looks like it just came out of the bottle.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fxcarden
excellent........I wish the GPS would do the same.

Also, I checked the trans fluid at 22K miles last week and it looks like it just came out of the bottle.
I recommend the Galaxy S3. The GPS updates on tracks my driving habits and tells me how long it will take to get to work and then back home following my usual route. If I take a different route it will update using the new route.

I will never pay options to get a GPS in my cars now since I have better GPS on my phone.

My opinion, not trying to start any arguments!!