Edmunds Full Test of TSX V6

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Edmunds Full Test of TSX V6

Linky: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=170942

What Works:
Responsive power; spacious, stylish interior; exceptional audio and navigation system.
What Needs Work:
Dispiriting dynamics; dispiriting exterior style.
Bottom Line:
Built for the American road
Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Overall it's a positive review, which is great. However, all the comparisons to the US Accord get really annoying. IMO, it is not the most American of Acura's vehicles.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The new TSX has really grown on me. If I didn't love my 1G so much, I'd seriously give this car consideration. Right now, in its class, there isn't anything else that catches my eye... However, my '04 still brings a smile to face every time I drive it so I don't see myself getting out of it anytime soon.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator

I still really like my 1G as well, but the 2G is calling me. I like the V6. What I want most is the newer features like Bluetooth, and next time I'd really like navi. Of course, the pic in the review is of the color combo I want. They're making it hard for me to hold onto my 04.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree about the review. It seems like the writer had the "Americanization" theme planned before even driving the car and was going to do everything possible to convince the reader that the TSX is the most American car made by Honda. IMO, this statement doesn't make sense, as the TSX V6 is just a Euro-Accord with a V6 squeezed in. The TL or US Accord, which are designed and manufactured in the US, have more American influence. Also, I still don't see why the TSX's styling is listed as a negative. I've seen the car in person multiple times, and the styling may be a little avant-garde, but it is certainly not extremely radical or ugly.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JD23
Also, I still don't see why the TSX's styling is listed as a negative. I've seen the car in person multiple times, and the styling may be a little avant-garde, but it is certainly not extremely radical or ugly.
x2...it is certainly the most beautiful design in the Acura lineup...by far!
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM
7th Gear

Also isn't the TSX the only Honda/Acura car 100% made in Japan? The 2009 was, but not sure about the 2010 V6?

Agree that it seems the author came up with the "American" theme (obstensibly because he sees the addition of a V6 model as an abandonment of the I4) and then tried to fit a car based on the Euro Accord (and built in Japan) into the theme.

All in all though it sounds like they enjoyed their time with the car.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
I agree about the review. It seems like the writer had the "Americanization" theme planned before even driving the car and was going to do everything possible to convince the reader that the TSX is the most American car made by Honda. IMO, this statement doesn't make sense, as the TSX V6 is just a Euro-Accord with a V6 squeezed in. The TL or US Accord, which are designed and manufactured in the US, have more American influence. Also, I still don't see why the TSX's styling is listed as a negative. I've seen the car in person multiple times, and the styling may be a little avant-garde, but it is certainly not extremely radical or ugly.
I think it depends on how you view his "Americanization" theme. I would agree with him as the 1G TSX was a small, nimble, high reving 4Cyl which is more of a "Honda Enthusiast" Japanese style car where the larger, heavier and more torque producing V6 is generally a trait the average North American prefers. I think this is where the editor was going with this rather than where it was built.

I agree with you on the TSX styling as IMO I think the 2G TSX is by far the best looking vehicle in the Acura lineup and the their new progressive look blends in nicer with the TSX than any other models.

I am happy Acura finally put a V6 in the TSX but I also agree with the writer that Acura seems to also be behind in current trends and once again this model is a few years to late. This was the car i was looking for in 2006 but unfortunately it isnt now.....Having said that I am sure they will sell alot of this version as long as the pricing is competitive.

One area in the review that surprised me was them preferring the V6 for handling over the 4Cyl. Every other initial review seems to say the opposite and that the Handling and braking seem to be its weaker points. Either way it seems like this V6 is going to be a great daily driver unfortunately its not going to compete up to Acura's standard and compete directly with cars like the BMW 335i etc. I know Acura is trying to force its model line up in the market place but this V6 version has a long way to go before it can me mentioned with models like the 335i etc.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
They mention that the EPS has been re-calibrated. I wonder if they can re-calibrate the '09s to make them better. God knows this car's steering could use some help in the weight department. I think if they could fix that via a reflash or something, I'd be -completely- happy with my '09.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

Had we been in the standard 2010 Acura TSX with its inline-4, it might have been a potentially disastrous ride, as that iteration of the TSX feels clumsy and uncertain in situations like this. In comparison, the TSX V6 feels transformed, as if it had morphed into the last-generation Acura TL (you remember, the good-looking one), which it resembles in size. The TSX V6 carves up the corners while remaining poised on its suspension, feeling lively without being out of control. It's adept, if not exactly a hard-core sport sedan.
Edmunds reviews are often pretty bad, this is no exception. To say that a V6 over FWD makes its I4 counterpart feel "clumsy and uncertain" in comparison seems hard to believe. It might be true, but the reviewer doesn't at least pay respect to how counter intuitive this is. The American Car thing is out of nowhere, no mention of the car being completely built in Japan or that the euro Accord offer diesel. Half assed.

I also lose respect for reviewers who say that an older generation car looked better than a newer model because often times it's the case that they are just more familiar with the old model having looked at it on the road for five or six years. As time passes the older models look bland by comparison. I used to prefer the 1G TSX appearance to the 2G but after having seen both on the road for about a year the 1G looks like a bar of soap along with most cars designed around the same time. It has to be considered in the context of everything else around it. The 4G TL looks like a walrus now but in two years it might closely resemble a lot of what else is on the road.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
WHEN is this going to hit dealers?

I test drove the TSX and loved the feel/look but honestly, to me, the I4 is just gutless. yeah it revs, but it has no torque. once you drive a car with some torque, you can't go to a car w/out it. if i was going to track it or something, and could be at 7k all day long, i'd be okay, but daily driving, torque rules.

i test drove the new TL and while i liked the power, it was soft/spongy, and hoenstly, that car is just plain ugly. it's pretty inside, but i don't likehte outside.

i also test drove a G8. wow. now that's a nice car. fast, handles, and well made. it's not quite as nice inside as the Acura, but at 27k for a full loaded GT V8, it's major value. i'm thining of buying one and skipping th eAcura..

BUT, i would like to test drive this new V6 TSX. when when when will it hit dealers.

and what is the real price going to be. the article said 38k for the one they had. sorry, no oen is going to pay 38k for a frikin TSX... you could get a barely used 335 for that much... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze...

maybe 32k...
Old 06-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Racer

I think that the G8 GT is a great buy...RWD, fullsize sedan, and sporty too.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Overall it's a positive review, which is great. However, all the comparisons to the US Accord get really annoying. IMO, it is not the most American of Acura's vehicles.
yeah the new TL is the most American because it is made in America
Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 23109VC

I test drove the TSX and loved the feel/look but honestly, to me, the I4 is just gutless. yeah it revs, but it has no torque. once you drive a car with some torque, you can't go to a car w/out it. if i was going to track it or something, and could be at 7k all day long, i'd be okay, but daily driving, torque rules.

i test drove the new TL and while i liked the power, it was soft/spongy, and hoenstly, that car is just plain ugly. it's pretty inside, but i don't likehte outside.

i also test drove a G8. wow. now that's a nice car. fast, handles, and well made. it's not quite as nice inside as the Acura, but at 27k for a full loaded GT V8, it's major value. i'm thining of buying one and skipping th eAcura..

BUT, i would like to test drive this new V6 TSX. when when when will it hit dealers.

and what is the real price going to be. the article said 38k for the one they had. sorry, no oen is going to pay 38k for a frikin TSX... you could get a barely used 335 for that much... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze...

maybe 32k...
I had read it was supposed to be a rolling release starting on the 16th, but not all dealers would have them right away. For some reason, Acura.com doesn't even have it available to build.

V6 non tech: $35k
V6 tech: $38k
Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 23109VC

maybe 32k...
Did you drive an auto or a manual TSX? I went to buy an auto but drove off with a manual instead for that reason. The manual has good torque and gets the most out of the 4 cyl engine.

The G8 is nice, but they won't be around much longer now that Pontiac is going bye-bye. Also I would think the unavailabilty of nav in that model is a dealbreaker for many

38k for any TSX is obscene and not close to worth it. $38k puts you into a lot of cars with 300+ hp. There would only be one sedan on my shopping list for that kind of money: the new 365 hp Ford Taurus SHO. After my TSX lease is up, that is my next car.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Craig-D
38k for any TSX is obscene and not close to worth it. $38k puts you into a lot of cars with 300+ hp. There would only be one sedan on my shopping list for that kind of money: the new 365 hp Ford Taurus SHO. After my TSX lease is up, that is my next car.
It sounds like the SHO will have a great engine, but the car is absolutely gigantic (203 in. long and 4400 lb.). At $38k, I think the TSX's natural competition is the A4 and the G37.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TSX really needs a 6MT and SHAWD to go along with the V6. It's a shame that it hasn't really improved over the 1st generation, and now the steering has become an issue.

I also find it hard to believe that a simple feature like bluetooth would put someone in this car. But I guess the TSX now really caters to this type of crowd, putting distracting features like bluetooth over more important engineering traits.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Craig-D
Also I would think the unavailabilty of nav in that model is a dealbreaker for many
I doubt it...given that the handheld GPS has come a long way....
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TMQ
TSX really needs a 6MT and SHAWD to go along with the V6. It's a shame that it hasn't really improved over the 1st generation, and now the steering has become an issue.

I also find it hard to believe that a simple feature like bluetooth would put someone in this car. But I guess the TSX now really caters to this type of crowd, putting distracting features like bluetooth over more important engineering traits.
I think it is important to remember that not everyone is a hardcore enthusiast. For some, reliability is still very important. I happen to fall into this category, and therefore am not interested in purchasing a German car unless I have enough money to have a second car.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
It sounds like the SHO will have a great engine, but the car is absolutely gigantic (203 in. long and 4400 lb.). At $38k, I think the TSX's natural competition is the A4 and the G37.
I agree with you. I owned one of the original SHOs and really liked it. I had thoughts of the new one until I read that it's 203" long and will list for about $40,000 with typical equipment (the SHO version). I think that's as over priced as the V6 TSX, and they are obviously trying to keep the Crown Victoria customers with that car.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigmd99

Good car but not with gas going up everyday!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by cyberbro
Good car but not with gas going up everyday!
I think that it get 24 mpg on the highway due to cylinder deactivation technology...so, it ain't bad...on par with TL-SHAWD....
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 AM
MMC Racing Owner

The TSX with the V6 is priced too high. It puts it in direct competition with a G37 which I would take 10 out of 10 times.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
The TSX with the V6 is priced too high. It puts it in direct competition with a G37 which I would take 10 out of 10 times.
Agreed. The only thing that the TSX V6 has over the G37 with the same price is the NAVI/camera. The ELS stereo is both crappy in quality materials and sound quality is only OK. The BOSE SOW system is also OK only, but at least the speakers don't blow every few miles. I would gladly give up NAVI/camera for RWD, bigger engine, 7 speed auto, better steering, and just a higher performance envelope.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:15 PM
'08 CU2 Honda Accord Euro

$38k for that? Hell no!
You guys can get an Mitsubishi Evo X MR for $37k, Nismo 370Z for $39k.
WTF is going on???
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
TMQ
Pro

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I think it is important to remember that not everyone is a hardcore enthusiast. For some, reliability is still very important. I happen to fall into this category, and therefore am not interested in purchasing a German car unless I have enough money to have a second car.
The way I see it, many Acura owners here don't keep the cars long enough for the reliability issue to make a difference. Most cars these days will run 7 years / 80K with no problem.

Also, a lot of the owners buy Acura because of all the standard tech features that one has to pay extra for in other brands. Acura caters to a lot of tech/gadget minded customers and hence offer the tech package. Most other brands offer luxury, sport, premium, prestige packages.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TMQ
A lot of the owners buy Acura because of all the standard tech features that one has to pay extra for in other brands. Acura caters to a lot of tech/gadget minded customers and hence offer the tech package. Most other brands offer luxury, sport, premium, prestige packages.
While many people here on sites like this will disagree because most are enthusiasts, i have thought this as well for a long time.

Many of my friends, co-workers etc drive a wide variety of vehicles. I find though that all the people i know that own Acura's always love the tech items and generally will only focus on those items. The others that own BMW's, Audi's, Infinitis etc always want to hit the road and show off the performance the vehicle first.

A friend i play hockey with is all excited about trading in his 3G for a 4G and was telling me all about the Navi, HDD, Traffic/Weather etc. When i asked how he liked the performance, handling, etc.....it was like i was talking a foreign language to him and he didnt really care.

Weather it has a V6 or an I4 it doesnt really matter IMHO as i think it will sell well as long as they always have the Tech items.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Low is a Lifestyle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TMQ

new tl would have to much competition if the tsx came in sh-awd. so i dont think acura would ever do that, unless they discontinued the tl.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cp3117

A friend i play hockey with is all excited about trading in his 3G for a 4G and was telling me all about the Navi, HDD, Traffic/Weather etc. When i asked how he liked the performance, handling, etc.....it was like i was talking a foreign language to him and he didnt really care.
I wouldn't buy a TL for performance reasons either. I have test driven and taken a 3G as a loaner. Straight line performance at best, although torque steer will make that straight line a wavy one. It's just too big.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
TMQ
Pro

I think most would agree that for performance, TSX is the perfect size for Acura to make it THE sports sedan of the lineup. So the recipe with 6MT and SHAWD would be natural.

It's really no big deal that TL and TSX overlap somewhat in their customer base in terms of performance, size and features/content. (Other makers do this all the time.) I think Acura just needs to make the TL more luxurious and comfortable; offer optional wood trim, add features like heated rear seat, and the TL should replace the RL.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by [R]isque'
$38k for that? Hell no!
You guys can get an Mitsubishi Evo X MR for $37k, Nismo 370Z for $39k.
WTF is going on???
People looking to buy a TSX often don't cross shop a between cars you mention...

You buy a TSX for refinement. You buy the cars you listed for speed.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by CGP CL9
new tl would have to much competition if the tsx came in sh-awd. so i dont think acura would ever do that, unless they discontinued the tl.
Yeah, I thought the same thing about the TL. Why would they do that when the already have a RL with the same powertrain? But they did. Acura's secret is to jack up the price of the model above it.

So now we have a $53,000 RL that does no more than a $43,000 TL, and we are about to have a $39,000 TSX. All I can say is that Acura ran me off.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

I like this quote from Edmunds:

"It's a nice car, and it comes from the Acura division's urgent need to expand its American audience, as its Euro-theme cars like the previous-generation TSX have been greeted with deafening indifference."
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigmd99
+1.