Dog Protection for Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dog Protection for Leather Seats

I purchased a new 2010 TSX in Palladium Metallic with the Taupe interior. I chose Taupe vs. the black interior because I have 2 dogs... one with white hair.

I have been looking online for seat protectors to place on my back seats for the dogs.

Does anyone have any recommendations or personal experience they can share on what I should be looking for to protect the leather?

Thanks!

Rose
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Deluth Trading make a quality one. Not pretty but works
Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
yea my dog makes a mess everytime i take her to the vet
Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
In Japan, they offer the following seat cover for their Accord.
Cost around $200 which is a bit steep.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm going to get one of these very soon:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=11123
Old 06-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eh, I wouldn't waste the $. I've never taken my pup in the car, and if I did I'd probably be more worried about her nails digging into the perforations...she doesn't shed much. I'd throw a towel over the seat, though. Perhaps an old blanket you can keep stowed in the trunk at all times just for the dogs.

Excellent color choice, btw! PM is fastest.

Last edited by TSteezyX; 06-30-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:29 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
lol i took my gf's dog in my car once, the hair was everywheree! in between the creses n stuff. very time consuming to clean. so from now on i'd jsut take the dog on my civic instead haha.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
2010 BRP, Icebox

The hammock seat cover idea would work but you will not be able to use the seat at the same time as the dog. I have a lab and border collie mix. Most of the seat covers out there (non hammock) do not connect very well at the bottom of the seat, and with the leather will tend to slid up as the dog moves (thereby not covering the seat bottom). I encountered this, and to add some extra protection I got an LLBean pet blanket and put that under the car seat cover on the seat bottom. It seems to work (doesn't move), and the seat cover protects the seat back. I have also thought about modifying the dog seat cover itself to better attach.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for all of your input. I need it to take my dogs to the vets, groomers, etc. Prior I had a Honda Prelude with black cloth seats that I did use a large towel, etc. About a year ago, I had an elderly dog who had surgery and the wound started to bleed. Since then, I have given serious thought that I could once again in the future, have a wounded dog that was bleeding or even diarhea...the thought of it turning up on my taupe leather seats...well, I would just like to be safe than sorry.

The hammock seat cover wouldn't work for me as I use harness seat belts for both of my dogs.

I did find this which does allow for the seatbelt harness. I'm not sure if I could find anything more reasonable in price that would suit my needs.

http://www.autoanything.com/seat-cov...id=11767835563

It does state "Stops pet hair, claw marks and "accidents" from wrecking your vehicle's interior". The Consumer Reviews aren't bad. I would hope 29 people wouldn't all lie. I need to do something fairly quick, as my new pup is getting neutered soon.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Congratulations on your new car. A dog(s) is really a part of the family and it's nice to see that they have products to help protect your nice new car.

That said, I do not own a dog and I would not allow it to ride in my new TSX even if I did own one. The seat cover would work fine, but I always see dogs rubbing their noses on the windows... and that would be too much for me.

I say go for the one with 29 reviews. You usually can't go wrong with that many reviews.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Again here is a link to well made products. I use the basic "hammock" style. Not perfect, but way less costly than the "honda" item listed above.
I am a big fan of this companies well made products!
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/d...cessor=content

Last edited by RKeatF1; 07-01-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

MrOtocinclus...Thanks for your comments! As a non-dog owner I was surprised to read your recognition that a dog is part of a family. As I do not have children, they truly are my kids! I don't make a habit of taking my dogs everywhere; but, I do need to take them to the vets and groomer in my only vehicle available. And, yes, you are correct, their rubbing their noses against the windows isn't one of their finest points Up until now, I could just use some glass wipes to clean it off. That was on an older car, I need to find out if the product would damage the windows on my TSX.

RKeatF1....I certainly like the price of the Duluth better! When I looked at it yesterday, I admit that the color turned me off. Burlap would make the seat cover stand out, instead of blend in, with my light gray seats. That's the woman in me. I have a brand new car that I want to try and make things "nice inside".

On the other hand, I am aware of Duluth's quality, as I have purchased items for my husband in the past. I took a 2nd look today and read the consumer's comments and yes, they appear to be happy with it. I am not ruling it out yet. However, I have 2 questions that maybe you can answer?

One person commented that to be sure that it fits your back seat as it didn't completely cover their seats. Do you have a 2009 or 2010 TSX that I could compare seat size coverage?

The company states that it has a zipper that allows for using a seat belt. I cannot visualize how that works and cannot tell by the photos. Could you tell me where the zipper exactly is and if it would be possible for a dog's paw to open the zipper further and touch the seat leather's? I am thinking of when I first unharness them as they get a bit excited and not always as cooperative as I like. I have a new pup that I am trying to train.

Appreciate your help!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
I know people who own dogs, so I have spent a lot of time with and developed an affection for them. That said, I'm a neat freak and also slightly allergic, which is why I don't own a dog.

FYI, I have used both Windex and Stoners Invisible Glass on my interior glass without any problems.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyrose
MrOtocinclus.

RKeatF1....I certainly like the price of the Duluth better! When I looked at it yesterday, I admit that the color turned me off. Burlap would make the seat cover stand out, instead of blend in, with my light gray seats. That's the woman in me. I have a brand new car that I want to try and make things "nice inside".

Appreciate your help!
I got mine from PetSmart for about $60. It's a two piece, and the color is very similar to the light gray seats. It works well with the grandkids too.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockyrose
MrOtocinclus...Thanks for your comments! As a non-dog owner I was surprised to read your recognition that a dog is part of a family. As I do not have children, they truly are my kids! I don't make a habit of taking my dogs everywhere; but, I do need to take them to the vets and groomer in my only vehicle available. And, yes, you are correct, their rubbing their noses against the windows isn't one of their finest points Up until now, I could just use some glass wipes to clean it off. That was on an older car, I need to find out if the product would damage the windows on my TSX.

On the other hand, I am aware of Duluth's quality, as I have purchased items for my husband in the past. I took a 2nd look today and read the consumer's comments and yes, they appear to be happy with it. I am not ruling it out yet. However, I have 2 questions that maybe you can answer?

One person commented that to be sure that it fits your back seat as it didn't completely cover their seats. Do you have a 2009 or 2010 TSX that I could compare seat size coverage?

The company states that it has a zipper that allows for using a seat belt. I cannot visualize how that works and cannot tell by the photos. Could you tell me where the zipper exactly is and if it would be possible for a dog's paw to open the zipper further and touch the seat leather's? I am thinking of when I first unharness them as they get a bit excited and not always as cooperative as I like. I have a new pup that I am trying to train.

Appreciate your help!
Ok Mine is 3 years old. It has no provision for a seat belt. I covers 99% of the seats. The 1% is due to movement of you dog. It is not form fitted. I use it in my wife's new 10 TSX and my old 01 CL-S. does the job. No signs of wear yet.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Just thought I would check back in and tell you which pet protector I chose, since so many of you were so kind to take the time to respond. And, possibly this may be helpful information for someone else in the future.

I chose this style...

http://www.autoanything.com/seat-cov...id=11767835563

After pondering so long, I felt since investing $30,000 for a vehicle, do I really want to cut corners and risk the leather on my back seat? AutoAnything chooses the exact size I need based on my TSX. Hopefully, since I have 2 dogs this will give me a bit more protection and won't move around since it is sewn for my seat size.

Since it is customized, I won't receive it for two weeks. I ordered it in the Wet Sand color as my interior is Taupe.

Since AutoAnything does regularly have specials, free shipping and no sales tax for PA, I found theirs was the best price.

If anyone is further interested, they can post back or send me an email with any questions.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:55 PM
5th Gear

I use an 6 X 2 feet rug on the back seat. Can be rolled up easily and stored in trunk.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

^^ im similar to that i just use an old duvet cover i had and that does the job and its easily cleaned