Does Acura need a coupe again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
I am 41, but that means I was 16 in 1983. I'd still prefer a Celica Coupe or a 180SX & wouldn't have an Eclipse on a bet. I had my 'Stang-banging days, too, but it was a notch.

Oh, and +1 for delivering anything that doesn't fit in my coupe or my sedan.
By age dependant I mean how old you are now, not how old you were back in the 80's. To me hatchbacks look sleek and aerodynamic while coupes look unfinished and stubby. The Celica is a great example. I think the last generation hatch looked awesome. The older coupe was short and goofy.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:13 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Celica was horrible to reverse in because it had zero visibility and they added that stupid beeping to compensate. I also didn't like the way the Celica got chopped in the back. I remember selling a few of those used and I really disliked trying to park them. The RSX killed the Celica and the Civic killed the RSX. Ironic.

I don't think the CL or the G35/37 looks unfinished at all.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CL6
The Celica was horrible to reverse in because it had zero visibility and they added that stupid beeping to compensate. I also didn't like the way the Celica got chopped in the back. I remember selling a few of those used and I really disliked trying to park them. The RSX killed the Celica and the Civic killed the RSX. Ironic.

I don't think the CL or the G35/37 looks unfinished at all.
You look for every reason you can possibly think of to hate on hatchbacks. For my money hatches look so much better that I'm willing to take the rear view visibilty hit. I assume its hard to see out the back window of many exotic sports cars but I woudn't turn one of them down either.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:17 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Dude you need to watch that movie Chill Factor. The only hatchback I said I don't like is the Toyota Celica because of the rearward visibility. Why is it so important to you that I like hatchbacks?

I think the buying criteria for a $300,000 'exotic' is probably slightly different than for a $20,000 Celica.

In my opinion, having extremely poor rearward visibility when you have to parallel park every day is slightly important. I mean, Toyota obviously realized it was a poor design when they put in the beeping when you put the car into reverse.

If you love hatchbacks so much why do you drive a sedan?
Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
By age dependant I mean how old you are now, not how old you were back in the 80's. To me hatchbacks look sleek and aerodynamic while coupes look unfinished and stubby. The Celica is a great example. I think the last generation hatch looked awesome. The older coupe was short and goofy.
We're gonna have to agree to disagree here. My point on age was that I *perceived* hatches as cheapy, entry-level, noisy, lacked structural integrity, and had no trunk even when I was 16. I learned to drive on a 79 Celica GT hatchback, but detested the fact it was a hatch. Meanwhile, albeit some may think the coupes are "truncated" (pardon the pun), I still like them better even if they are an entry-level model.

Oh, and I hated the rear 3/4 visibility on the S2000 with the top up also, and it was a trunk.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty
I learned to drive on a 79 Celica GT hatchback, but detested the fact it was a hatch.
Hey! My first car was a '80 Celica GT. I had a coupe though cause I hate hatchbacks! Ha Ha just kidding! Gotta love the 20R! 2.2 liters making a whopping 90 hp! Isn't amazing how times have changed? The F22C is also 2.2 liters and it makes 240 hp!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Instructor

Coupes are a small breed as well in todays safety requrements. The sedans B pillar provides better protection in side impact crashes. To get a higher rating for the coupe, the manufacturer has to add unwelcomed weight to the platform and door, which takes away the benefits of the coupe to begin with, which was a lighter, more nimble vehicle. Check out the G-6 and Altima 4 door versus 2 door, they both weigh practically the same.

The longer door is more difficult in parking spaces as well.

Setting the practicality aside, I think the the best looking coupe has to be designed as one from the start. Taking a sedan and making it a coupe makes it look like it like it lost something in the process. The exception to this is the new CTS coupe coming out this spring. It should be interesting to see how this vehicle does in the market. Not sure if you have seen early pictures of the IS 250 convertible yet, which will be a two door, but the transition took that car from being aggressive/attractive, to looking whimpie. Too many trade offs.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:42 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

It is tough because I think coupes and sedans share the same platform. The TL/CL, G35, Altima... even the Mercedes S and CL share the same platform. I think if you are missing a B pillar like in the Mercedes CLK coupe it is tough to get good side impact crash test results but that is just the way it goes. Good point about that!

The longer and heavier doors on my CL can sometimes be a pain but not too bad. Each type of car for each type of driver.