DIY: Short Shifter Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
DIY: Short Shifter Adapter

This is a guide yadi-yadi-ya. I'm not responsible for any damages done onto your car while performing this DIY yadi-yadi-ya.

Introduction
This DIY is for installing a short shifter adapter. Overall install shout take ~1 hour.

Equipment
Short shifter adapter
Adhesive (Provided with adapter)
Socket wrench
10mm and 12mm socket wrench heads
Socket wrench extension
Philips screwdriver
Flat-head screwdriver
Hammer (Optional)

Before you begin
Empty everything in your arm-rest storage and the side pockets under the center console.

Steps
Removing the trim pieces
1. Remove the shift knob by twisting it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove shift boot by rotating the the top disk counter-clockwise.

3. Remove the center trim piece by pulling the cup-holder door straight up.
Note: Don't be a pussy and pull that shit with full force if you have to.

4. Disconnect the seat warmer cables

5. Remove the driver and passenger side trim pieces by first removing the
screws exposed from removing the center trim.
Note: For the passenger side you must first remove the trim above the glove compartment to expose another screw.

You should end up with this:

Removing the arm-rest
1. First remove the screw exposed from removing the driver and passenger side trims.

2. Pull the piece attached out a little bit

3. Remove the mat in the arm rest compartment
Note: may have to use a flat-head screwdriver to get it out.

4. Remove the two screws with a philips screwdriver

5. Disconnect the 3 cables that run into the storage

6. Also remove the 2 silver bolts with a 10mm socket.

7. Remove the trim on the back of the armest by jamming your fingers at the bottom and pulling upwards.

8. Remove the 2 silver bolts that are now exposed with a 10mm socket.

9. Pull the whole armrest up and back and rest it on the rear seats.
Note: If you're scared of damaging the seats rest it on the back trim you removed or on a towel.

Removing the shifting console
1. Remove all the tabs connected to the shifting console

2. Remove the pin on the right side of the shifting console my bending the end straight and pulling it out.

3. Remove the washer.

4. Disconnect the cable behind the washer.

5. Remove the black adapter connected to the bottom of the shifting stick
Note: This part is very challenging because there are two metal wire keeping it from being detached. Your goal is to get it to look like this so it will easily come off by just pushing it down.

6. Remove the shifting cables by rotating the black part counter clockwise and pulling it out.
Note: This part is also pretty challenging. I am not sure if you have to lift the white tab on it but I did anyways. (Have fun getting it back in lol)

There is one on the right side and in the center. These are pretty hard to get to so i had to roll my seats all the way back and lay down in the floor on the car.

7. Remove the 4 silver bolts around the shifting console with a 12mm socket

8. Remove the whole shifting console and turn it upside down.

Installing the adapter
1. Remove the blue cap in the bottom of the shifting stick

Note: I removed it by taking a headless driver (or flathead) and pushing it on the side until it came out. Or you can tap it out with a hammer.

2. Now with your finger, remove the white grease from the bottom shift stick ball and rub it onto the adapter ball
Note: This step is highly recommended because it acts as a lubricate to make shifting easier.

3. Attach the blue cap onto the adapter
Note: I did this by putting the cap on the ground and used my body weight to force it on.

4. Loosing the 2 screw on the side of the adapter a little bit so there is enough clearance for you to attach the adapter to the stock stick.

5. Break off the cap on the provided adhesive and put some on the bottom ball of the STOCK stick and on the inside walls of the adapter

Note: make sure the adapter is all the way in before the adhesive dries (10 minutes)

6. Tighten the two side screw on the adapter as much as you can.
Note: It should tighten until it is almost flat with the rest of the adapter. If it is not than the adapter is not attached to the stick all the way.

7. Reinstall everything and you're good to go.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Note: I do believe you can tackle this install w/o removing any shifting cables or the whole console itself. Instead after removing the armrest and the black think that attaches to the ball, try to pry off the blue cap from there. If you we're successful at that see if you can attach the adapter and go on from there.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Whoa, harder than I thought lol... probably will shoot you a text when I tackle this one lol. Is it awesome though?
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-20-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 09:21 AM
ROTAREDOM

so in this image the adapter is placed directly over the original shifty thing?

and why did you have to remove all the panels from the center console? why not just disconnect all the wires from when you take the cup holder out?

Last edited by ssjoeboe9; 07-20-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
I was able to do this mod with out removing the whole shift assembly. I just removed the four bolts and shifted the assembly enough to fit in the two wrenches to pop out the cap.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
so in this image the adapter is placed directly over the original shifty thing?

and why did you have to remove all the panels from the center console? why not just disconnect all the wires from when you take the cup holder out?
Yes it's placed over it. Removing all that stuff makes it easier because the bolts are deep in the car.I couldn't reach the top right bolt because the shifting cable is right on top of it. You'll see when you attempt it.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iselfdevi
I was able to do this mod with out removing the whole shift assembly. I just removed the four bolts and shifted the assembly enough to fit in the two wrenches to pop out the cap.
I tried the wrench method but I was completely lost in getting it out. Did you still remove the shifting cables? how did you get access to the top right bolt if you didn't?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Whoa, harder than I thought lol... probably will shoot you a text when I tackle this one lol. Is it awesome though?
The throws are much shorter but also much harder to get into gear as everyone else said. Usually when I get into fourth I just flick by wrist back and it pops into gear but now I actually have to pull it back.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
If I install it on my A/T TSX, will i not have to put so much effort into changing into Park, reverse, neutral, drive, and sport? I get lazy
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I like cars.

Originally Posted by BaoZZeR
I tried the wrench method but I was completely lost in getting it out. Did you still remove the shifting cables? how did you get access to the top right bolt if you didn't?
It took me a few tries but i was able to get the wrenches in there and I gave it a quick burst of Bruce Lee power and it just popped right off. I only removed the shifter cables at the shifter assembly end. I got to the bolt using a socket extension. It fit snug but I got the bolt out and back in with no issues.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:12 PM
I like cars.

The throws are much shorter but also much harder to get into gear as everyone else said. Usually when I get into fourth I just flick by wrist back and it pops into gear but now I actually have to pull it back.
A weighted shift knob will make it feel more like stock. I put in a 440 gram knob and now I can shift with little effort just like I did before I put in the short shifter. I could imagine how much easier it would be if I were to use a heavier knob.
The stock knob weighs in about half a pound and my new wieghted knob weighs about one pound. It doesnt seem like much but its a HUGE difference in shifting.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Thanks for this. I ordered my adapter the other day so I will definitely be utilizing this DIY. THANKS!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iselfdevi
A weighted shift knob will make it feel more like stock. I put in a 440 gram knob and now I can shift with little effort just like I did before I put in the short shifter. I could imagine how much easier it would be if I were to use a heavier knob.
The stock knob weighs in about half a pound and my new wieghted knob weighs about one pound. It doesnt seem like much but its a HUGE difference in shifting.
I wouldn't mind a heavier knob but I like the OEM look. Not really into the leatherless, round, and super hot knobs.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:10 PM
ROTAREDOM

Bao I wanna drive yours before I install mine lol.... just around the lot though (if you would let me) and if we ever met up in Gville. I'm trying to go up again maybe 1st or 2nd week school starts before classes get tough.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Bao I wanna drive yours before I install mine lol.... just around the lot though (if you would let me) and if we ever met up in Gville. I'm trying to go up again maybe 1st or 2nd week school starts before classes get tough.
Of course. You can even take it to I-75 and rip it to 100 if you like.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:32 PM
ROTAREDOM

Of course. You can even take it to I-75 and rip it to 100 if you like.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 241 Likes on 185 Posts
Yeah, I just pulled my whole shift box out, popped it off with two wrenches, glue and screw back in...

It is harder... I've been considering getting a more weighty knob, but admittedly I've been waiting for the SC....