Convince me that a TSX is better than a G25x...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you go with the G remember you wont have that nice vtec crossover..
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by russel082581
if you go with the G remember you wont have that nice vtec crossover..
Is the switchover apparent in the 2nd gen? In the first gen TSX it was as if ivtec wasn't even there (IMO). In my Si it transforms the car into a completely different animal... how is it in the 2nd gen TSX?
Old 04-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Racer

^dunno, never had one. only had tl and now v6 tsx soo iiii...
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Icculus
Is the switchover apparent in the 2nd gen? In the first gen TSX it was as if ivtec wasn't even there (IMO). In my Si it transforms the car into a completely different animal... how is it in the 2nd gen TSX?
With the 6 speed you feel it kick in at 4000 RPM. From there it builds until you hit peak HP at 7000 RPM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a 2011 G37 rental last weekend. The engine had a nice sound to it but I was less impressed by the interior offerings. I did enjoy the keyless start/Bluetooth fob. Overall I prefer my tsx, but the Infiniti drove great. I'd imagine the g25 to be similar?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
With the 6 speed you feel it kick in at 4000 RPM. From there it builds until you hit peak HP at 7000 RPM.
Yup. What he said. I love winding up my TSX!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by s40 driver
I had a 2011 G37 rental last weekend. The engine had a nice sound to it but I was less impressed by the interior offerings. I did enjoy the keyless start/Bluetooth fob. Overall I prefer my tsx, but the Infiniti drove great. I'd imagine the g25 to be similar?
Apparently it's identical to the G37 but slower, and the 2.5 is supposed to be much smoother and more refined than the 3.7.

Do you still drive an S40? I looked at the S60 and it's pretty hot looking in person and drives nice, but it's too expensive. If only they would give the S40 the 'naughty' treatment.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DJMcGee
Really the two cards aren't comparable . The G25x is AWD and comes in at 36.8k, the TSX is not and costs 30.5k w/o tech.

6k for AWD is a lot. Plus the TSX just looks better. I guess if you are leasing you only care about payments so you should buy the TSX. Then again, what do you expect on an acura board.
he's shopping for grapefruits but wants and orange? Seriously not even being bias well. if i was in your shoes i would go tsx. and you cant go wrong with the fwd since awd is still tugging your johnson.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraZealot
The G25x and the TSX are both good cars and either is a good choice. I am more concerned about your girl-friend. If she does not learn to drive a stick before you wed, you won't own a stick until you have three cars (she will need to borrow ours from time to time).

Just a thought, choose either of the cars and ditch the girl. Or ditch the girl first and buy a stick now : )

sounds like you're divorced now lmao. funny statement yet it is true. unless you have balls bigger than that shifter hahahaha
Old 04-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ressling
Yup. What he said. I love winding up my TSX!
the G25x revs to 7500 -
My dilema is that the radio/climate/info display is 1000 times better in the G, it has AWD, and metal interior door handles! Apparently the plastic is really bugging people.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
did you try asking the infiniti bros?
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KillerG
did you try asking the infiniti bros?
Only one response and that person suggested to get whichever personally feels better – that forum sucks.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Speaking of crappy displays, how's the iPod interface/display on the non-nav screen? Basically just digital confusing block letters like the sat radio?

Between the door handles (inside & outside), radio display, and plastic trim they really did some cost cutting to keep the price down I guess…
Old 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Op is too busy to care

Ive never sat in a G25, but i cant imagine its like sitting in a rolls royce phantom either.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Ive never sat in a G25, but i cant imagine its like sitting in a rolls royce phantom either.
no, not a RR Phantom, but pretty close to the Ghost.

I'm going again tomorrow, but I remember it being just as nice if not nicer than the TSX interior. As of now I'm more interested in cost and how the cars drive. I think they both look good and have good build quality.

I did this whole nerdy cost analysis when i was bored at work. Uusing C/D's test results for fuel economy and assuming $3.50 per gallon, and 5 maintenance visits at $150 each, the G would cost about $1300 more than the TSX over 36 months, and $865 more over the GTI. So the question is, is AWD, keyless operation, and a nice infotainment screen/system worth the $1300...

Last edited by Icculus; 04-15-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Racer

Apparently it's identical to the G37 but slower, and the 2.5 is supposed to be much smoother and more refined than the 3.7.

Do you still drive an S40? I looked at the S60 and it's pretty hot looking in person and drives nice, but it's too expensive. If only they would give the S40 the 'naughty' treatment.
I don't have the S40 anymore. Mine was an 06, very base model. I only kept it long enough to pay it off thanks to back to back to back deployments :P I sold it just before the last deployment so it'd not sit depreciating further. I really enjoyed it as my introduction into "luxury auto" but failed to get all the features that I'd want.

That being said, with the TSX, the choice was easy for me. I initially wanted a 3 or 5 series (I initially wanted a wagon) with moonroof, xenon headlights, hands free phone, power windows/locks/mirrors, and navigation. I realized that whether I got the Bimmer or another vehicle, I was going to be nickled and dimed for features that I feel like should probably be standard at that price point (maybe not Nav, but the others).

I borrowed a friends 06 TL w/Tech and was hooked. I went shopping for the TL but was not crazy about its looks. The TSX only slightly smaller and offered with a V6 fit the bill perfectly. I have been pleased with my purchase over all. I mainly learned a harsh lesson in diminished value after getting in my first accident this past President's day. I'll definately lease in the future.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Racer

no, not a RR Phantom, but pretty close to the Ghost.

I'm going again tomorrow, but I remember it being just as nice if not nicer than the TSX interior. As of now I'm more interested in cost and how the cars drive. I think they both look good and have good build quality.

I did this whole nerdy cost analysis when i was bored at work. Uusing C/D's test results for fuel economy and assuming $3.50 per gallon, and 5 maintenance visits at $150 each, the G would cost about $1300 more than the TSX over 36 months, and $865 more over the GTI. So the question is, is AWD, keyless operation, and a nice infotainment screen/system worth the $1300...

Then keyless is fantastic. You need only have the key in your pocket or handbag and everything else just works from the rubber button on the outside of the car or push button start. It knows if the key is inside the car, so no worries about locking the key inside.

I was not a fan of the stereo (which I assume was base) in the G37. Sound quality was not on the same level as the ELS setup in my TSX. The screen was entirely too bright even at its lowest setting. The back up camera was awesome, I like the way it gives a predicted path of your vehicle based on steering movements. I prefer the steering wheel controls in the Acura as well, though I could get used to the G37's. The Acura nor Infiniti wows me with the navigation of their audio controls. I guess they dont go touch screen for some options due to the oils making the screen unreadable in some lighting situations?

Good Luck in your search, hope you end up with a car that brings you miles of safe driving and good memories.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Instructor

So after all my fussing around on this thread, I now have some actual opinions. I drove a GTI, TSX, and G25x today.
My brief summary:

G25x - very nice interior; at least as good as, if not better than TSX IMO. Looks really good in black with the REAL aluminum trim. Leather is very nice, but seats are a little too cushy and unsupportive. Very smooth power train (ultra smooth v6 and 7-speed), very good ride and actually pretty nible, but way down on power. So very nice inside and good ride, not fast, and not too crazy about exterior design.

TSX - again, very nice interior. Seats are more supportive and a little firmer than the G, which I liked. Interior is just a little plastic-heavy but they're pretty high quality, so didnt bother me. I actually like the 'wood' trim in the base model, makes it seem more upscale, even though I usually loathe fake wood. Ipod interface is much better than I anticipated on the base screen. Felt slightly quicker and more 'tossable' than the G25x, it definitely revs faster, and overall a more unique look and nicer dimensions.

GTI - By far the most fun to drive. Very quick and very nice solid ride even with 18" rims. DSG is awesome compared to a slushbox, and the trip/information computer/touchscreen stereo interfaces are the best of the bunch. The interior overall is nice, but definitely a step down from the other two and has less of a luxury feel. Most reviews rivaled the interior to luxury brands, but It's not quite there yet. All the GTI really lacks compared with the other two are leather and HID (which you can get with autobahn, but becomes expensive). Also, amazing interior room for it's exterior size. I have no idea how they get the rear leg room and trunk space in a car that's almost 2 feet short in length and 6-12 inches shorter in wheelbase. Zose crafty Germans, ya?

So after all that messing around I think I'm gonna go back with the GTI. It was my first choice from the start and my gut instinct. It was too expensive at first, but I now have a much better quote from a different dealer. Although it's basically the same price as the other two cars (leasing), it's really a tradeoff between fun to drive/easy to park and luxury. I feel like I'd rather have fun to drive, and I can wait another few years to get leather and HID (which are basically the only compromises). Plus, I can put my bike in the back!

Last edited by Icculus; 04-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Op is too busy to care

As long as you are happy thats what matters most, and thanks for your opinions on all three rides. If i see you in hoboken I will high five you.

Hopefully this thread will clear up all future g25 vs TSX questions for anyone whos curious
Old 04-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Instructor

As long as you are happy thats what matters most, and thanks for your opinions on all three rides. If i see you in hoboken I will high five you.

Hopefully this thread will clear up all future g25 vs TSX questions for anyone whos curious
No prob, and I thank everybody here for all the opinions and insight. For the record, if the GTI wasnt in the picture and it were between the G and TSX, I'd go for the TSX

BTW - GTI MSRP is 28,695 and I got it for 26,858

I'll (most likely) be in a carbon steel gray 4-door if you if you wanna high five. Then we can race and I'll beat you!

Last edited by Icculus; 04-16-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
After the break-in period, I'll rumble with you in my 2011 TSX V6... if that doesn't do it I'll shake apart in my 1994 V8 Dodge truck. ;-)
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Professor
After the break-in period, I'll rumble with you in my 2011 TSX V6... if that doesn't do it I'll shake apart in my 1994 V8 Dodge truck. ;-)
Haha it'll be a close match with the TSX V6, but I'll definitely get you in the twisties!

They had a black-on-black V6 Tech Demo on the lot, but unforunately it was only for sale and not lease. It was listed for something like 31k.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Good choice.

Up here in Canada, the GTI 5 doors cost $29,875 for 6MT and $31,275 for the DSG, our car does come with Bi-Xenon lights standard. (Leather pkg includes sunroof, leather and sports seat -$2600); (Tech package includes Ipod connectivity, Touch screen Navi w/30GB HD and 300 watts sound system for another $1990).
Old 04-17-2011, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Ouch. Sounds like it gets much pricier; vw is trying to keep US costs down as a whole (a la jetta), which is why the Americans can't get LED lights, adjustable suspension, and everything is optional. It would have been nice to have leather and xenon but everything is bundled together which sucks - but I'm still happy with my choice.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

I'm in the market to lease a new car, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a TSX and G25x. I originally wanted a GTI, but if you can believe it, it leases for way more than these two cars... Also, these are basically the only luxury cars within my price range.

I had an '05 TSX 6MT which I loved, I'm currently in an Si, and want to go back to something a bit nicer. I have to go automatic because of the fiance (i know - it sucks)... IMO these cars are basically complete equals, and the G25x is also AWD... So, convince me!

Don't give me cheap interior BS, because compared to what I'm coming from both interiors are very nice, plus the Infiniti people will say the opposite of what you say. And I don't want to hear reliability because I'm leasing, plus I hear Infiniti/nissan reliability is just as good as Honda/Acura. I don't want to spur arguments, just honest opinions...
They're both good cars. The TSX was designed around the 4cyl and the V6 was forced into it to appease the masses. In contrast, the G was designed around the V6 and the 4 cyl was created to lower the price. I prefer the former philosophy. Also, the TSX has the best resale value in it's class. We don't know about the G25x resale yet. I personally preferred the way the TSX drove, but that's subjective. If AWD is important to you then obviously the G is the way to go.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Advanced

I wasn't a fan of the G25's interior. It felt really tiny to me in comparison to the TSX, which in the end is why I went with the TSX. The G styling is a bit bland to me as well... and no navi in the 25
Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Get the G25, this is coming from a 2010 TSX owner. I was pretty unhappy with the car and traded it in after only 1 month and 1,000 miles on the ODO.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nshahzad
I wasn't a fan of the G25's interior. It felt really tiny to me in comparison to the TSX, which in the end is why I went with the TSX. The G styling is a bit bland to me as well... and no navi in the 25
The lack of Nav in the G25 is a deal breaker. What true luxury car doesn't offer Nav when a Honda Civic offers it?

Originally Posted by Kugs10
They're both good cars. The TSX was designed around the 4cyl and the V6 was forced into it to appease the masses. In contrast, the G was designed around the V6 and the 4 cyl was created to lower the price. I prefer the former philosophy.
The G25 does not offer a 4 cyl engine. It is a 2.5 liter 6.

Originally Posted by 24boosted
Get the G25, this is coming from a 2010 TSX owner. I was pretty unhappy with the car and traded it in after only 1 month and 1,000 miles on the ODO.
You traded in a car after 1 month and 1000 miles? You must like throwing money out the window. Just out of curiosity, did you test drive the car before buying it? If so, what did you notice you didn't like at 1,000 miles that was not apparent during the test drive?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Racer

You traded in a car after 1 month and 1000 miles? You must like throwing money out the window. Just out of curiosity, did you test drive the car before buying it? If so, what did you notice you didn't like at 1,000 miles that was not apparent during the test drive?
I already made a thread on this and posted my reasons. The deal I got from the trade + the discounted price on the new car made up the difference. Some dealerships are still trying to unload remaining 2010s, they are very flexible especially when it's a niche market car that doesn't get good mileage.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Op is too busy to care

the other day i got 30 miles to the gallon, what a load of horse shit
Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 24boosted
I already made a thread on this and posted my reasons. The deal I got from the trade + the discounted price on the new car made up the difference. Some dealerships are still trying to unload remaining 2010s, they are very flexible especially when it's a niche market car that doesn't get good mileage.
The car dropped about $3k in value the moment you drove it off the lot. Unless you were credited the full retail price you paid for the car, you lost money. The discount you got on the new car would've happened whether you had a trade-in or not - so that doesn't figure much into making up the difference. I can't imagine what you could have hated about a car so much that you would trade it in and eat the loss after a month of ownership.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Racer

The car dropped about $3k in value the moment you drove it off the lot. Unless you were credited the full retail price you paid for the car, you lost money. The discount you got on the new car would've happened whether you had a trade-in or not - so that doesn't figure much into making up the difference. I can't imagine what you could have hated about a car so much that you would trade it in and eat the loss after a month of ownership.
That only applies assuming the TSX was bought at MSRP or at your average discount/incentives/market value etc (also helps if you know someone at corporate). It balances out if the trade was high and the new car was very low. In the end it was an even trade. Dealers use Black Book value which is generally hidden from the public. With Black Book pricing as a starting point for negotiations I had a better chance of coming out even. I buy cars very frequently, generally at the end of the year, I go through a car every 2-3 years. I knew what I was doing going into the deal.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Instructor

the other day i got 30 miles to the gallon, what a load of horse shit
V6 TSX? that's pretty good. I get over 30 easy on the highway, and about 25 or 26 avg in the Si, this is also ringing out the engine to 5k after every stop. It's the only way to make the Si fun.

I can't wait to take delivery of my torquey GTI. That thing lunges from a standstill with barely any gas, not to mention 0-60 in the low 6's and 33 mpg highway.

After owning a TSX and Si, I recommend going for a test drive in a GTI just to see how the engine feels.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Racer

I can't wait to take delivery of my torquey GTI. That thing lunges from a standstill with barely any gas, not to mention 0-60 in the low 6's and 33 mpg highway.

After owning a TSX and Si, I recommend going for a test drive in a GTI just to see how the engine feels.
You might want to hold off on that GTI purchase. The Ford Focus ST looms and when it arrives, the GTI is gonna be bringing a knife to a gunfight.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Instructor

You might want to hold off on that GTI purchase. The Ford Focus ST looms and when it arrives, the GTI is gonna be bringing a knife to a gunfight.
Yeah I'm looking forward to that, unfortunately I need a car now. Plus, the GTI is supposed to be a fantastic car, so cant hurt to tool around in one for a few years. Besides, C/D did mention that everybody should own a GTI at least once in his or her lifetime, so now is my chance!

Last edited by Icculus; 04-19-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Advanced

I was cross shopping these cars also. I went with the TSX because it had navigation, and the ELS sound system is good. Overall I'm glad I went with it.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
– that forum sucks.
Compared to this forum - obviously.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:22 AM
TSX 6MT 11 / MDX Tech 14

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I just traded a Maxima 07 for a TSX 6m. I know, not the same car but the transmission is. CVT is super boring and maintenance super expensive. You've to change the transmission fluid every 30k and it cost $21.00 a quart and it takes about 11 for just a simple flush doing it yourself (about $230.00 with tax). If you take it to the stealership it will be around $350.00. So no more Nissan / Infinity for me!