Chose non-tech 2009 over tech and feel horrible

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chose non-tech 2009 over tech and feel horrible

I bought a used 09 non-tech for $24k retail, but I feel like I'm regretting not getting the tech. It's a painful feeling whenever I think about it, I cringe! But I want to reassure myself I made the right decision. I have a nuve that I use instead of the built in navi but I like the cosmetic factor and integration of the built in navi. Can you view mp3 videos from the ipod in the tech package? What mods can I make to the non-tech to make me appreciate it more?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Racer

can't watch movies from ipod on tech navi....if you have alotta money you can prob mod the non tech much easier radio wise not sure tho to be honest.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the non-tech and don't regret it one bit. I decided to use the money I would have spent on the tech package and got the full Aero kit instead.

I'm very pleased with the sound quality of the premium's stereo and the iPod integration is enough for me as well. I don't use nav enough to want to pay that much for it, and when I do need it, my Garmin is great.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by DerwoodEE
I have the non-tech and don't regret it one bit. I decided to use the money I would have spent on the tech package and got the full Aero kit instead.

I'm very pleased with the sound quality of the premium's stereo and the iPod integration is enough for me as well. I don't use nav enough to want to pay that much for it, and when I do need it, my Garmin is great.
+1

Tech models also have issues with speakers failing. The display resolution on the Garmin is a lot better than the Tech Navigation screen. The rumor is that the navigation will be updated for the 2011 models and that display will have much better resolution.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DerwoodEE

I agree 100%. Why spend ~$2500 for a Navi, little bit better stereo and a back-up camera? Seems to me you spend way too much for what you get. I think the base stereo is plenty good, plus I can play my Ipod, which is all I wanted anyway. You can get a top notch mobile Navi for a couple hundred bucks nowdays as well.

I am very happy with my base model and don't "miss" anything in the Tech package.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
If you've never driven a car with a back-up camera, then I would say you're not missing much with the non-tech. For me, now that I'm used to my back-up camera, it's extremely difficult to drive any other car that does not have the camera.

Re: your question, I would say that you can get yourself a really nice aftermarket stereo that would blow the tech's stereo out of the water. That would be a good way to make yourself feel better.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Instructor

So what car did you buy? a "09 non tech" is pretty generic.

To me an extra 2500 for ELS Sound System, Rear Camera, Integrated Navigation System, Voice Recognition, and Bluetooth is totally worth it. So the difference in a payment would be what?? a month? -vs- a new one?

Plus they have .9 / 1.9% finance specials on new cars thats little to nothing to finance right now.

:2 cents::2ce nts:
Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Intermediate

Every car review site I have seen says the Tech Package on the TSX is one of the biggest bargains in the car industry. Its well worth the $2k difference. Upgraded audio system, GPS and rear view camera. Those features are great, but what makes it worth it is how much information the lcd screen displays. Its not only used for the GPS, the screen is integrated with everything. Want a list of all the songs on your mp3 player/usb flash/CDs? Its all there right in front of you on a big lcd screen. Its integrated with your phone too.

If you are going to buy a "luxury" vehicle, why skimp out on a package that is widely considered a bargain and has so many cool features?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

I bought an 09 Tech and like it; however had intended on buying a base instead. Look at it this way:
- You'll always be able to have current tech in the car through purchase of a nice cell phone and/or garmin
- I'm not overly thrilled with the sound quality from the ELS; many have commented not hearing a significant difference
- My GF refuses to use the IPOD Integration; she claims its too hard and resorts to the Aux In connector (which you model shares)

Its personal choice; i was offered a price for one with tech that I didn't feel I could refuse. You saved some cash by not electing to get it.

Enjoy your car -- don't think about the what-ifs. Look in the nav/electronics section, you'll see my comments re the short-commings of the tech system from what I've seen.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a non-tech TSX.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Racer

lol fingerss way to stick em...i cringe everytime i think i bought a tech tsx ...nah only when i see that e-coupe my next ride just waitin for some news on ny state budget
Old 05-17-2010, 06:18 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
i know what u mean, sometimes i wish my nav is intergraded into my base model so i dont have to stick that shit on my windshield.

but hey, base sound system sounds great, it doesnt blow like the tech. i would love a backup camera though...

but i say, dont regret it.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by coffeefingers

You have a non-tech TSX.
LMFAO FINGERS CLASSIC !!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Self Aware

Originally Posted by coffeefingers

You have a non-tech TSX.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
If you've never driven a car with a back-up camera, then I would say you're not missing much with the non-tech. For me, now that I'm used to my back-up camera, it's extremely difficult to drive any other car that does not have the camera.
Wow, this a million thousand times. I thought that when I bought tech that the navigation, or the awesome audio system would be most worthwhile. The backup camera was an afterthought, but now every time I drive someone else's car and try to back up I spend a good five seconds looking at the dashboard waiting for the display to come on. The navigation is so so and "premium audio" is okay, but the back-up camera is one thing I can't live without.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ agreed !! back up camera for the win, so awesome lol, in the winter when backing up, the camera lens would get dirty.... i would walk out and scrub it a bit lol, i rely on it so much now its ridiculous lol.. im even contemplating ordering the front mount camera from japan.. just makes like so much easier. Personally i have no regrets with the tech package, at first i didn't think i would use the navi much, but now that i have it, i use it quite a bit, it looks awesome and its always the first thing people see and compliment on, "whoa man you got gps stock in this thing? looks siickk". no regrets here on tech package
Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Advanced

i figured i drove this long without a backup camera on my old car, i can keep doing it.
and nav? i got my Android phone for a reason, and before that a Blackberry. The sound system is up to par for my standards.
the 09 tsx premium sound system seems to be kinda plagued with blown speakers (from reading other posts in this forum). i've yet to see someone who has a base model complain about blown speakers
Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
While a back-up camera may make your life easier and be pretty cool, this is a TSX we are talking about, not a big minivan or SUV. I have no problems using my side and rear view mirrors.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
who the hell needs a backup camera on a mid-size sedan? You should seriously consider going to driving school or visiting the eye doc if that is your main concern about not having a TSX w/ navi. As for the navi, save yourself the 3k and go buy a $100 garmin.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Tech is def worth it! plus I'd rather have it then regret not!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

yes...tech, is nice....wort it...
Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
who the hell needs a backup camera on a mid-size sedan? You should seriously consider going to driving school or visiting the eye doc if that is your main concern about not having a TSX w/ navi. As for the navi, save yourself the 3k and go buy a $100 garmin.
im with this guy. 3k is a lot of money for a back up camera, speakers, nav.

go with a base model and just put that 3k into aftermarket parts
Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Intermediate

Individually, the components might not sound like they are worth $2-3k. But when you consider that everything is conveniently integrated together, and your lcd screen displays info on everything(audio system, bluetooth, usb, gps, camera, phone, car settings), its well worth it. No aftermarket part will provide that level of integration and convenience.

As for the backup camera argument, do I use it everytime I back out of my garage? Nope. But does it come very handy in certain situations? Definately. To say it is worthless is absurd.

Last edited by Cylanth; 05-20-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Self Aware

I get lost alot when driving, so I'm loving the Tech!!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Racer

Tech package is pimp and LOOKS pimp.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by ressling
Not sure why there's so much hostility... I've always prided myself on being a good parker with my family's old '98 Camry, but as good of a parker as I was, there are things such as being able to make use of the very last half-inch of a parking space that would be impossible without a backup camera. I would say the same thing for a small car like a Miata. No matter how good your depth perception there is no way you will be able to get that close to another car with 100% certainty.

The value of $3k versus $0.1k or even $0k I would argue is subjective. To all the people on these boards who bought aftermarket wheels (myself included): the TSX already comes with wheels, why waste money on aftermarket wheels? My wheels cost me about $3k and I don't regret it for a moment.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Racer

Excellent point, dude.

Why spend tons of cash on engine mods, wheels, after market radios and other crap for your ride? The car runs and performs "fine" stock. Why spend the money on the mods? CUZ YOU CAN AND YOU LIKE IT AND YOU WANT TO PIMP IT OUT!!!!

Bottom line...live with your choices...or mistakes.

Last edited by coffeefingers; 05-20-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

they way I see it....it will make it easier to sell when the time comes and I'll recoup some of that money then
Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fceeviper
I get lost alot when driving, so I'm loving the Tech!!
I need navi. I just moved and don't know shit around here yet.

When I decide to trade in m 04, I think I want something with nav. Should make my life easier.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I need navi. I just moved and don't know shit around here yet.

When I decide to trade in m 04, I think I want something with nav. Should make my life easier.
My wife likes to remind me I have no sense of direction

Love the Navi and backup camera. I have a 3.5" GPS but find it hard to read (old age), and have to remove it and clean up the suction cup imprint from the windshield each time I am out of the vehicle so the opportunistic thief won't try a smash and grab.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
My wife likes to remind me I have no sense of direction

Love the Navi and backup camera. I have a 3.5" GPS but find it hard to read (old age), and have to remove it and clean up the suction cup imprint from the windshield each time I am out of the vehicle so the opportunistic thief won't try a smash and grab.
That is definitely one reason why I want the factory nav.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
yeah..i hate that suction cup print...

to op, liek others said, jstu buy a garmine, they are great. base sound system is great with no blown speakers problem..and backup camera...maybe a backup sensor that acura offers?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
To the OP, there are GPS units out there that works with a backup camera, so that can be an option for you.

We keep a TomTom GPS at the office for business trips as most car rental companies charged an average $12/day for one. We always have to bring the car charger along because most GPS units has a battery life of 2 to 4 hours. And the 12V power supply in most cars are down low in the centre console which makes it a pain sometimes to hookup. And of course the removal and cleaning of the suction cup imprint on the windshield each time we are out of the vehicle.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Instructor

I found this aftermarket nav design that may work for you

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Racer

LOL!!!!

Is the supposed to be the dashboard and the steering wheel?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Instructor

then there's always the redneck aftermarket gps

Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Not to worry .. aftermarkets can even get you through this
Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Instructor

And they can help you find a carwash too

Old 05-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by Cylanth
Individually, the components might not sound like they are worth $2-3k. But when you consider that everything is conveniently integrated together, and your lcd screen displays info on everything(audio system, bluetooth, usb, gps, camera, phone, car settings), its well worth it. No aftermarket part will provide that level of integration and convenience.
Agreed, and that is why I went w/ the Tech...haven't regretted it for a second. Plus, it makes the car feel more luxurious and classy to me and none of the features were a waste...while you may not use the Navi and camera everyday, when you do need them they are so nice to have integrated (the sound system, meh, I have had WAY too many issues w/ it thus far to really love it, sadly). Also, nothing beats when having someone new in your car and they look at all of the gadgets and say, "Wow, this car is really neat/nice!"

As for the backup camera argument, do I use it everytime I back out of my garage? Nope. But does it come very handy in certain situations? Definately. To say it is worthless is absurd.
Yep, I agree again. I am great at parking but the backup camera is invaluable in an old, super dense city like mine where you sometimes literally have to squeeze your car in a space that *just fits*.

And I love the look on people's faces as you slowly come towards their car and they panic, only to see you stop within inches and in the perfect position.