Choosing between a 2G TSX and a 3G TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Choosing between a 2G TSX and a 3G TL-S

First off, Im definitely in the market for an Acura.

Secondly, not sure where I should have started this thread; I think starting this board here or in the TL would have equal biases.

Anyhow I did some research into this a bit, and flipped through several old posts. There was one thread comparing the 1G tsx and regular TL, but none seemed to give me a good idea into my dilemma of choosing a 2007/2008 TL-S or a 2010 (no nav) TSX.

I have yet to test drive either cars and right now the main draws of the TL-S for me is that being a 2nd hand car, I would be saving about 10k over say a brand new TSX; and the fact that theres more power and better steering on the TL-S. Exterior styling wise, I think I like them both equally (however, on the TSX, Id probably get the aero kit, which = more $$$). But for the interior, since I havent been inside either, its hard to judge from pictures.

So I guess I'm looking for some input and wondering if anyone here has had the opportunity to drive or sit both cars, even if you've only driven the 3G TL. Ultimately if I was given out a free 07/08 TL-S or a new 2010 (non tech) TSX, which you would choose.

And I know test driving first hand would give me the best answer. But even so, I'm not the type of person to make decisions without hearing opinions of others.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome! For performance, TL hands down.

If you must have a "new" car, TSX, obviously.

But, if I could choose for free, of the two, I'd HAVE to go with the TL Type-S.

Also, believe me, you WANT the navi. Everyone who didn't get it regrets it.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would never buy an Acura without navi. I kick myself every day for not buying a TL-S. Although our interior is nicer the overall aesthetics of the TL-S kills us 2nd gens. Overall from first hand experience go TL-S... or don't because you'll make me super jealous.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
i love the 3g TL-s. go get it! interior i like the tsx tho, but the TL-s aint bad!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 AM
PWP 2010 TSX

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 2g TSX and the 3g TL-s were my two options when purchasing a new car.

I still wish I would have gotten the TL-s instead of my TSX, but the very few TL-s i came upon were about the same price as a new 2010 TSX.. I also do a lot of driving so the 4 cylinder engine was also in consideration which led me to the TSX. Both a great vehicle!

If you would rather have a 'new' vehicle.. let the TSX V6 also be an option.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TL-S hands down BUT consider this

Originally Posted by Alee:)

the very few TL-s i came upon were about the same price as a new 2010 TSX..
Old 08-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I argue that you can't really compare the two, unless you're doing 2G TSX V6 vs. TL-S.

Comparing the TSX i4 to the TL-S is comparing a football field to a baseball diamond.

But if money grew on trees, I'd definitely go for the TL-S SH-AWD 6spd. That thing is CLEEEEAAAAN.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Racer

3G TLS in KBP, please!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I had the same decision to make when I sold my 06 WRX it was either the TSX or TL. I decided on looking at the TL's first cause I knew I wanted a larger sedan with more power. I bought a TL-S from a member on AZ and I never looked back. I love the car more each day and I got the KBP color, quite sexy I must say. =)
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Welcome! For performance, Also, believe me, you WANT the navi. Everyone who didn't get it regrets it.
I don't.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Adding the Nav is really expensive here in Canada so I didn't get it.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Yea, Im in Canada, and really the cities here are rather small. I rarely venture out of my province; and I also know my own city inside out. So GPS isn't a big issue as I lived without one in my car for 6 years. In any case, I try to google map out locations I'm not too accustomed to beforehand.

And I definitely like the KBP color too, but its rather rare up here. I'll settle for white or black, but the grey I;m not a big fan of and I seem to see a lot of sales for the grey ones =S

And the reason Im comparing them is b/c an 07/08 TL-S is cheaper than a brand new and even used/leased 2G TSX.
Problem wise, I couldn't seem to unearth any major shortcomings on the TL-S.

Anybody have opinions about the interior, dash quality and such? Seems to be a lot of opinions on the dash area. Some say the TL holds up to the new TSX. Others say the TSX feels cheap.

Id like to know b/c if im going to compare the cars, Id like to go check out the "better" one first. That way, by the time I go check out the second one, I have a higher standard to judge on...if that make sense. =/
Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

the dash does feel kinda cheap on the tsx. i always get these white makrs on it, im not sure if its the sun or what, because my hand doesnt touch those areas..

the thing i like abou the tl-s is that the navi is touch screen, idk about the dash quality though but i heard its better?

i do like the interior lighting on the tsx though, and the speedometer looks very modern and nice and i like the steering wheel better.

tl-s interior seems a bit dated, and i dont like the red lighting
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
go test drive both and then pick
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Go with the TL-S in your situation.

Acura Canada sells may be 1-200 TSX per month, so the used car market is pretty limited. The TL-S comes with 280hp V6, 6MT or 5AT, LSD as well as Brembo brakes.

If you have money to burn, take a look at the Canadian only 2010 A-Spec TL SH-AWD, it comes with 6MT, full body kit, 19" wheels with High Performance Michelin summer tires, ASpec badging and a new dark midnight chrome grille, and only comes in Black.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The interior of the TL will be better quality, after all it is about $10,000 more expensive car. The red gauges and tape player are the only negatives I can think of in the TL.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by princelybug
Welcome! For performance, TL hands down.

If you must have a "new" car, TSX, obviously.

But, if I could choose for free, of the two, I'd HAVE to go with the TL Type-S.

Also, believe me, you WANT the navi. Everyone who didn't get it regrets it.
I don't regret not getting the Nav. In fact, more like the opposite.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had the same dilemma and i ended up getting the '10 tsx. i wanted an 08 tl-s so bad. i had been eyeing since i began looking to buy a car. but in the end, i didnt think it would be worth it to get something so use, especially since i do plan on keeping this car for as long as possible. part of it is that i dont do my own work. i know how to do a lot of things, but i just dont have the time or the ability to maintain the car myself. i know a lot of guys here can do just about everything themselves. taking that into consideration, my maintenance costs would be very high and on a used car, they would come 3 years too soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
IMO, i think that the interior of 2nd gen TSX looks way better than the interiors of the 1st gen TSX and 3rd gen TL. 1G TSX/3G TL interior dash looks cheap and has that 90's look.

coming from a 01 prelude, i was really impressed with the interior of the 2G TSX when i test drove it.

id get a 2G TSX over a 1G TSX / 3G TL

you wont see a lot of 2G TSX on the streets. which is a good thing since the car really stands out.

1G TSX /3G TL they're EVERYWHERE!
Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ Disagree. 2G TSX's are everywhere in Atlanta. The disadvantages of living in a city where everybody tries to keep up with the Jones'...

My car used to turn a lot of heads when I got it in late '08... not so much anymore
Old 08-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ressling
^^ Disagree. 2G TSX's are everywhere in Atlanta. The disadvantages of living in a city where everybody tries to keep up with the Jones'...

My car used to turn a lot of heads when I got it in late '08... not so much anymore
im in los angeles. id see a 2G TSX probably 10 times a month.

b.ike,

what car are you driving now? what year?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:01 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

yeah. not mcuh in LA. i see about 6 a month lol
Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys for the responses.
Im trying to contact the owner of the TL-S, but no luck. I have to head out of town for work so the test drives and decisions will have to wait =/

As for TSX sightings, up here in Canada they're rather rare. Surprisingly I've seen about 4 TSX in the past 3 days or so. Or maybe I just never paid much attention before. In fact I saw a grey one today with full aero kit and the wing spoiler. The wing spoiler is definitely a no go for the TSX imo..

Im currently driving a hand me down '01 Accord auto... its got rather low mileage 130,000kms (~80k miles) for a 10yr car. I plan to drive it down to a pulp; transmission is still okay, but sometimes there are small slips during winter days. And the engine has been burning oil for almost a year now. So Im just looking at possible replacements.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in a similar decision making situation right now:

My mom asked me to help her research a new car purchase. At first, she was looking at the new Hyaundai Sonata, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord. So I humored her and took her test driving and price comparison shopping. Because she wasn't looking to get a base model and she wanted all leather, navi, etc. She was looking at $27,000-$31,000 price points. I wanted her to realize this before I took her to a real car dealership; Acura. I wanted her to see what she would get with other brands for her money and what she would get with an Acura in the same price ball park.

Long story short, she fell in love with Acura and won't even look at anything else now. So now I told her, her options are a 2010 Acura TSX or a 2007-2008 Acura TL. Below is a little analysis I made for her.

The following were factors in my decision:
- She drives a very long distance every day to work, so cost of gas is a factor
- Performance isn't an issue. She's replacing a 1997 Altima, so either car is a big performance boost.
- She would prefer to own a brand new car.

2010 TSX vs 2007-2008 TL Comparison:

Estimated: Acura TL 2007 w/ Navi - 45,000 miles - $21,000
Acura TSX 2010 w/ Navi - 0 miles - $30,000

Resale Value after 5 years and 80,000 miles*:
Acura TL 2007 - 125,000 miles - $8,000 (Depreciation cost: ~$13,000)

Acura TSX 2010 - 80,000 miles - $15,000 (Depreciation cost: ~$15,000)

* Depreciation cost estimated at about $1,000 for every 10,000 miles.

Advantages of buying used TL:
Aesthetics (better looking/quality, arguable)?
Lower Depreciation Costs
Touchscreen navigation
Better Performance

Advantage of buying a new TSX:
Full warranty
Feeling of owning a brand new car ("new car smell")
Won't seem as old in 5 years
Better Gas Mileage

Summary: Because the older generation TL and the new TSX are so comparably equipped, tech features are not much of a factor. If performance and looks are not an issue (which they are not in my mom's case), the TSX is a better option, even if the depreciation value may be slightly higher. The warranty and the feeling of owning a brand new car out weigh the alternative.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
There is also maintainance issue with used vehicle.
Like Timing belt, older tires, brake pads, various fluids, wear and tear of suspension etc. so add $2k to $3k over 80k miles.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I recently purchased an '09 TSX Tech 6-spd and previously owned an '07 TL Type S 6-spd. Although both cars are nice, I have to say that the TL seems to be put together much more solidly and there are definitely more luxury touches. Some of the things I have noticed, and granted some of them are trivial are:

TL-S Advantages
- Rear seat has more room for the kids (not a lot, but leg room is noticable)
- Dashboard switches seem more robust (TSX has more of a plastic feel)
- Both mirrors tilt down when reversing (only passenger in TSX)
- More aggressive appearance
- Better steering feel (TSX is a bit vague)
- RAW power - no comparison here

TSX Advantages
- I like the dash setup better
- Thicker steering wheel - feels more meaty
- iPod integration (no aftermarket installations needed - just plug & play)
- Split folding rear seat
- Much better mileage (averaging around 30 MPG)
- Somehow the car feels more nimble

I'm sure if I thought about it longer I could come up with more, but ultimately, it comes down to what you like and why you're buying the car.

Good luck finding the car you want.

And yes I need to modify my signature and icon.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Drifting

is there a difference between a TL Type S and base TL?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Racer

The TSX obviously feels more nimble because it is a.) a smaller car and b.) (if we're talking about the i4) isn't lugging a big, heavy V6 up front through the corners.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the TLS has beefier suspension components, a more robust exhaust, and 4-Piston Brembo's up front. And then there are of course the simple cosmetic changes. I'm no 3G TL expert, so someone chime in!

Last edited by TSteezyX; 09-01-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Originally Posted by TSteezyX
The TSX obviously feels more nimble because it is a.) a smaller car and b.) (if we're talking about the i4) isn't lugging a big, heavy V6 up front through the corners.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the TLS has beefier suspension components, a more robust exhaust, and 4-Piston Brembo's up front. And then there are of course the simple cosmetic changes. I'm no 3G TL expert, so someone chime in!
yeah u pretty much got it..exterior has type s kit? diff. tail lgihts..quad exhausts..diff. wheels..brembos..red interior leds..the seats leather is like a two tone color. the engine is a bit more powrful?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ed_423
yeah u pretty much got it..exterior has type s kit? diff. tail lgihts..quad exhausts..diff. wheels..brembos..red interior leds..the seats leather can be two tone or taupe. the engine is a bit more powrful? Yes, 286 hp for the Type-S and 268 for the base TL
I updated a couple of your comments. Also with TL base vs. Type-S the thing that sold me was the availability of the manual trans in the Type-S
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Originally Posted by Anansi
I updated a couple of your comments. Also with TL base vs. Type-S the thing that sold me was the availability of the manual trans in the Type-S
ahh thankyou i also jsut read that when in reverse, BOTH mirrors tilt down!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Je t'aime...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling = TSX
Straight line = TL-S

Personally, I like compact cars, so I would go for the TSX, but the rest is up to you.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Alright, finally got around to test driving these things.
Test drove the TSX first. The 4 banger was definitely zippy. The steering: it was okay. I didn't know what to expect going into it. But overall I didn't love it or hate it. Actually its good for me b/c Im lazy and like to drive with my hand on my lap haha

So I went over to the TL-S 2008 black on black. Sadly it was an auto. First thing I noticed was the heavier steering. Like others have said, it requires a lot more input to maneuver the parking lot. But out the road, I liked the heavier feel of the car as it seemed to hug to it a lot better.

Overall, the TL was definitely more to my liking as it just felt more like a car meant for driving. Interior wise, I didn't really care, but the TL had the navi too and it looks sharper; but the TSX interior did feel a bit more fresh or maybe it was just my mentality that I was sitting in a new car..

Now price wise: Im in Canada so these prices will seem inflated. If any Canadians have experience here, I would be grateful.
First off the TSX no nav will be 37k OTD. Seems like this one is set in stone as Ive heard other ppl around the country getting the same prices this month.
The 2008 Tl-S is about 34k OTD and it has only 25k KMs so about 16k miles. But, apparently it got in some fender benders. Rear bumper got hit two times requiring 2000 and 1000 in repairs. Should be mostly cosmetics from what I could infer.

Down the road, I see both cars fetching the same price if I resell.

So the TL-S is being listed for 33888 + tax + fees. How much do you think I can knock off the price? My quote above was just an approx for sure deal thing.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
^^ 37k OTD for a non-nav TSX is right for Canadian pricing. Good deal considering the incentives right now.

Personally I'd never get a used car that was in an accident (never mind two of them) even if they were minor. Especially with a performance-minded car like the TL-S, I would worry if the owner really took good care of the vehicle or just thrashed it around.

Sounds like the TL-S is the better choice for you but I wouldn't get that particular one.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Advanced

I agree, I'm a little wary on the accidents. The first one, the $2000 one, was made with only 1000 Km on the odo. Doesn't seem to give very good impressions. However with Tl-S i have very limited choices. I would have actually taken a regular TL if they were common around here..
If I won't be getting the TL-S or a TSX, Ill probably wait for the Sonata Turbo.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

The residual is still pretty high on used TL-S's, no matter the year. If it were me and money weren't an object, I'd go for a new TL-S 6 speed. Otherwise, I'd stick with the TSX or even hold out for a TSX coming off a lease.

Since Acura offers such good incentives on leasing, I'm sure there will be some out there with low miles in the next year or so. For example, my '09 only has 16k on the odometer and the lease is due up about a year from now.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
They're probably fairly rare, but try to find a 6MT TL-S to drive. I think you'll like that a lot more.