Be careful what you ask for

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Be careful what you ask for

I generally call around for costs of services. I call the local Acura and Honda dealers and am always surprised at the differences.

My car popped up with a A1 requirement which is basically a glorified oil change, fluid top off and a couple of insignificant checks that you can do yourself.

Dealer 1 (where I bought the car - and the farthest away)
A1 -$199
OC -$79 (special)

Dealer 2 (Honda, where wifey takes her car)
A1 - $139
OC - $63

Dealer 3 (Acura - closest to the house)
A1 - $159
OC - $59 + tax ($63)

So I went to dealer 3 (better waiting room) and did an oil change.

An hour later I had my car back complete with a computer print out of a zillion checks (tire pressure adjustment, tread depth, lights horn, top off fluids, brake check)

After I paid, I asked the adviser was the difference is between the A1 and a plain old oil change and he said "nothing. It would cost us more to differentiate so the techs just do the checks in all cases."

Shop around and be careful what you ask for.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
MC MiYoung3269 (02-24-2013), MrLogan13 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
LOL, good info!! thanks!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
That's lame. Thanks for the heads up ceb.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
I Spit On You.

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Doesn't that mean you got ripped off LOL.
The following users liked this post:
echodigital (07-27-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercedes>BMW
Doesn't that mean you got ripped off LOL.
no cause he asked and paid for an oil change, $63. and he got a full A1 which they charge almost triple for.

Ceb, do you do synthetic OC's? a regular OC in jersey ranges from $25-29.99 at any of the acura dealers
The following users liked this post:
Mercedes>BMW (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
yikes!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
That's why i do all my own work.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
I generally call around for costs of services. I call the local Acura and Honda dealers and am always surprised at the differences.

My car popped up with a A1 requirement which is basically a glorified oil change, fluid top off and a couple of insignificant checks that you can do yourself.

Dealer 1 (where I bought the car - and the farthest away)
A1 -$199
OC -$79 (special)

Dealer 2 (Honda, where wifey takes her car)
A1 - $139
OC - $63

Dealer 3 (Acura - closest to the house)
A1 - $159
OC - $59 + tax ($63)

So I went to dealer 3 (better waiting room) and did an oil change.

An hour later I had my car back complete with a computer print out of a zillion checks (tire pressure adjustment, tread depth, lights horn, top off fluids, brake check)

After I paid, I asked the adviser was the difference is between the A1 and a plain old oil change and he said "nothing. It would cost us more to differentiate so the techs just do the checks in all cases."

Shop around and be careful what you ask for.
Nice! After my Groupon expires I will look into this.

Its also good you went to an Acura dealer just in case you had a warranty issue. Honda dealer would have not fixed any warranty issues....
Old 02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanTSX
Nice! After my Groupon expires I will look into this.

Its also good you went to an Acura dealer just in case you had a warranty issue. Honda dealer would have not fixed any warranty issues....
Those prices are excessive....crazy for an A1. Must be trying to sell you synthetic oil...which is truly not needed.

I have my A1 service done...actually all "service" done at my Honda dealer. The normal cost is $39.95....but, with specials...$29.95....AND I get the full deal...break pads measured, tread depth measured...rotated if I ask....all printed out....service book filled in and stamped, etc, etc. Also....my high level techs have access to the Acura Service web site and can look up any TSB's that are going on...any "notes" for the service people, etc. Yes, if there was a warranty issue, then I would have to take it to my Acura dealer....60 miles from me! But, I would of course.

I have 2 Acura's. A '13 TSX Spec. Ed, and a '13 RDX.
One more note....I have the shop mgr...and top Honda serv. tech. do my work...even oil changes. He is a friend....but, normally doesn't do oil changes. They have "lower level techs" doing that. I have him do all my work no matter what they need. It's good to establish that kind of relationship...also with the Service Writer and the Serv. Mgr. They all treat me with great respect and meet all my expectations. This Honda dealer...is a new one in town....I have not purchased one car from them! Just do my service....and accessories installs. You'd think I had bought my 5 previous Hondas from them instead of the other Honda dealer in town!! I also asked to be introduced to the Gen. Mgr. Ended up with another "friend" in this dealership. We have a lot in common and he is a great guy. Rare in that job title. I can stop in and shoot the breeze with him whenever he is not busy. We both are Lakers fans and love cars. You just never know....make the effort to know and learn the folks at the dealer you choose to go to. You'll be surprised just how well you get treated, rather than being just a "number" to the service writer.

I also try and go to the same Serv. Writer each time..if she is there. She gives me discounts on labor and parts I didn't ask for or knew existed! Even when I have accessories installed. It's just based on the relationship I have established with all the "principals" there. I call ahead even for A1 type service. Just to make sure I get my serv. tech. Won't let anyone else touch my cars.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PyroDave
no cause he asked and paid for an oil change, $63. and he got a full A1 which they charge almost triple for.

Ceb, do you do synthetic OC's? a regular OC in jersey ranges from $25-29.99 at any of the acura dealers
That was for the appropriate synthetic (blend) that Acura calls for. The OC on non-synth is $29.95 with a coupon.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still havent had to due a oil change, but when the time comes I might start going to the dealer. I have always done my oil changes but with this car being so low and having the skid plate I dont think I will be doing it myself. I am going to have to start shopping around for prices.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pursuit2550
I still havent had to due a oil change, but when the time comes I might start going to the dealer. I have always done my oil changes but with this car being so low and having the skid plate I dont think I will be doing it myself. I am going to have to start shopping around for prices.
And that was the whole point of the thread - shop around and ask for the right service.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Acura wanted to charge me 49.99 for a regular oil change, went to honda dealer and they only charged me 39.99. Shop around!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just got A1 a couple weeks ago. doesn't A1 include a tire rotation? isn't that the difference between just a regular oil change?

good thing about bringing it to the dealership though was that the replaced the battery and a blown speaker under warranty. also did some recalls I think dealing with the roof molding.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
How much oil does our car take? 4.5 quarts right?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
i think its like 3.5 quarts, cuz last time i bought a gallon. they ended up not using all of it.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Those are some pretty crazy prices. At my old dealer, A1 was always $59.95, and we got free wifi and Peet's coffee. I guess it all depends on the dealership.

http://www.oaklandacura.com/service-specials.htm
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,517 Likes on 1,183 Posts
My Acura dealership charges me $25 for a "modified" A1 service for my TSX and RDX. They still do most of the A, B, 1, 2, and/or 3 checks/services and car wash afterwards. I take care of the following between the shop services:

- Lifetime balance and rotation from Discount Tire
- Lifetime alignment from Firestone
- supply my own Mobil 1 5w-30 for both vehicles to dealership
- clean my K/N filter each year
- replace my cabin air filter each spring

The sells department seems to change over every 6 months. The parts and service departments have been steady since 2006 and they know me by name. They always given me a loaner vehicle if either car had to stay overnight and they never try to sell me anything I don't need. For being the only Acura dealership in an 250 mile radius, they are doing a pretty good job with prices and services they provide.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrOtocinclus
Those are some pretty crazy prices. At my old dealer, A1 was always $59.95, and we got free wifi and Peet's coffee. I guess it all depends on the dealership.

http://www.oaklandacura.com/service-specials.htm
wow that's ridiculously cheap for A1. I think I paid like $145 at the new McGrath Acura in Chicago a couple weeks ago. service was excellent though. I knew I was kind of overpaying but it was my first maintenance related issue since I got the car last June. then again, I only drive my car maybe once a week. now I'm just talking to myself...sorry.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
My Acura dealership charges me $25 for a "modified" A1 service for my TSX and RDX. They still do most of the A, B, 1, 2, and/or 3 checks/services and car wash afterwards. I take care of the following between the shop services:

The sells department seems to change over every 6 months. The parts and service departments have been steady since 2006 and they know me by name. They always given me a loaner vehicle if either car had to stay overnight and they never try to sell me anything I don't need. For being the only Acura dealership in an 250 mile radius, they are doing a pretty good job with prices and services they provide.
Uhhh, 5w30 is the wrong oil...
Old 03-01-2013, 02:28 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by espionagelfe
wow that's ridiculously cheap for A1. I think I paid like $145 at the new McGrath Acura in Chicago a couple weeks ago. service was excellent though. I knew I was kind of overpaying but it was my first maintenance related issue since I got the car last June. then again, I only drive my car maybe once a week. now I'm just talking to myself...sorry.
I had a rough experience with McGrath Acura in Westmont due to their new car prepping department scratching my brand new TSX on the back from the rear driver panel to the passenger panel and everywhere in between. Either way, scratches were removed by a local body shop and they made things right and offered me a Spoiler at no charge.

Did you buy the car there? My salesman from Westmont now works in Chicago (Thomas Whitfield) and he was a down to earth salesman. And that's a lot for A1 no matter how you slice it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35

I can say i have NEVER had an experience like this.....nor even found a dealer. im a geezer and I have never felt comfortable bringing my car to ANY dealer for anything. i had horrible experience with jeep and warranty stuff and the lies in my last vehicle.

so i was told you need a high end jap dealer. they will treat you right. respect you and your vehicle.

so the 27th of feb is 1 YO.

i brought it in twice.

first time I got the wall job. my A/C had a bad mold smell. they sprayed air freshner and told me I had to use recirc on the a/c more. i had a shimmy at 75 they told me they didnt have time to road test it. and the slow as ass cranking was normal. my batt checked out. i have a billet custom cap on my washer fluid. instead of skipping the fill they decided YANKING the cap off without loosening the set screw was the way to do it. I spotted the handy work before I left the property. first thing they say is 'that's not factory'.....uh correct. A blue anodized cap with Tweety bird engraved in it is NOT OEM. we didn't know it had a set screw. i respond with 'so you ripped it off' . WAS IT that important to make sure I had the proper amount of washer fluid" i made them replace the washer reservoir but I refused to let them install it. I took it with me and changed it myself.

so i hammered them on the survey. it took about 24 hours for the service manager to call.

i brought it back. they did a better job on the a/c stink at that time. they balanced my wheels and I missed seeing where they must have dropped one of my rims on its face and that wheel is totally scratched. when i go back the next day.....my tsx has about 1000 miles at the time.....they say 'we didnt do that' and would not give in. I get it that I left the property and missed it..... F me once shame on you, F me twice shame on ME.

bottom line is I can pray that someday i find this dealer,,,,,,he would have a customer for life.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KrylonBlue
I had a rough experience with McGrath Acura in Westmont due to their new car prepping department scratching my brand new TSX on the back from the rear driver panel to the passenger panel and everywhere in between. Either way, scratches were removed by a local body shop and they made things right and offered me a Spoiler at no charge.

Did you buy the car there? My salesman from Westmont now works in Chicago (Thomas Whitfield) and he was a down to earth salesman. And that's a lot for A1 no matter how you slice it.
I got mine from McGrath Acura in Morton Grove actually. The experience was pleasant but I'm very happy a Chicago dealership opened up since it's only 10 mins from my place.

where do you get your car serviced? how much do you pay for A1?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by espionagelfe
I got mine from McGrath Acura in Morton Grove actually. The experience was pleasant but I'm very happy a Chicago dealership opened up since it's only 10 mins from my place.

where do you get your car serviced? how much do you pay for A1?
Not sure on the cost since I've yet to do A1 service. I'll either go to McGrath in West Mont or Continental Acura of Naperville since its a bit closer and higher end. I live in Romeoville so I feel maybe its time to switch.