Bought a used TSX. What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Bought a used TSX. What to expect?

I recently got my wife a used 2013 TSX Tech. The car is a CPO with 35K miles. It still has a couple of month of the new car warranty left.
The car has its front brakes and the battery replaced at 31K miles. As a part of CPO certification the dealer also replaced the rear brakes, filters and did the wheel alignment.
This is a local trade with supposedly no accidents. CarFAX shows that the PCV valve was also replaced at 31K miles.
The car is still on the original Michelins with about 7-8/32 on front and 6/32 on rear tries thread left. Looks like they just recently rotated the tires.

I have several questions that I would appreciate anyone answering

1. While the car is still under the new car warranty should I have the car checked (and by who) to make sure any repairs needed are done before the warranty expires?
I do not see or feel any issues myself when driving the car but wondering if there are know issues that this models develops at around 35-36K miles.
2. How good or useful is the CPO warranty? The CPO book has a 6 page long list of "what is not covered" and it scares me.
3. And this is the most important question.
What to expect from this car? I need it to be reasonably trouble free for the next 3 or (better) 5 years driven about 10K miles per year.

Please bear with me since this is my first used car in 20 years and it worries me a lot. I am for sure do not want my wife to get stranded on the road when her car suddenly dies on her.
Thanks in advance for answering these questions.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
The CPO warranty is great. My Wagon, which I bought 1 year old CPO, had $4750 worth of work done. Then again I am a nagging owner, who complains to the dealer, and Ihave a great dealer, who just changes to all new parts.

My 2012 just turned 101K miles, and mechanically its been great so far. Needed new brakes again at 87K, and put new michelin OEM tires at 63K miles.

Mine is driven almost 30K a year.

I wouldn't worry to much, as you are worrying Enjoy the car.

Keep an eye on the oil, some have reported oil burning (mine doesn't), and the axles (had mine replaced under warranty).

Last edited by 2012wagon; 10-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
10 weeks ago I bought a CPO 2012 TSX with 38K miles on it. I've driven about 3500 miles and so far no issues. The only thing I did was replace the original Michelins even though they looked OK, one front tire was losing 1 psi per week. Given Honda's reputation for reliability, I don't anticipate being stranded on the road or being unable to take off. If I recall correctly, my CPO warranty is good for 12000 miles or 1 year from date of purchase and it covers almost everything that a new car warranty would cover. On top of that, the original warranty is good till Feb next year.

Carfax shows that battery was replaced in 2015. And right before I purchased it, the air dam; air filter; front & rear brake pads were replaced.

Last edited by Richie Roads; 10-08-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I think you bought just right, because my TSX's engine felt completely broken-in right around 35K miles! It now has 111k miles, and has been absolutely rock solid, with only normal wear items (e.g., rear brakes) needing replacement. It's one of the most reliable cars out there, so you shouldn't worry at all.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura battery died today while I was washing my car with the stereo on. Tried jump-starting for a good 30 minutes to no avail, took the battery out and had it tested at an auto-parts store. Test came back "bad battery." 2012 Acura, original battery replaced in 2015, replacement battery replaced in 2017. So if you have an Acura battery, expect to replace it in about two years. From what I've read, that seems to be its lifespan.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie Roads
Acura battery died today while I was washing my car with the stereo on. Tried jump-starting for a good 30 minutes to no avail, took the battery out and had it tested at an auto-parts store. Test came back "bad battery." 2012 Acura, original battery replaced in 2015, replacement battery replaced in 2017. So if you have an Acura battery, expect to replace it in about two years. From what I've read, that seems to be its lifespan.
My 2012 got a new oem battery in 2014. It is still working. Didn't know the 2 year lifespan. Sounds like I need to take a look.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm approaching year 2 of my current OEM battery, I've noticed some starts feel weaker, especially as the weather has been getting cooler. I'm considering getting the larger TL sized tray putting in a larger battery (NOT OEM) in the next month or so.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I forgot to mention in my original email that we decided to get this 2013 TSX based on our pretty good experience with 2012 TSX that we leased new.
The 2012 car was flawless for 3 years and 31K miles. The battery was a weakest area though. It did last for all three years but if you play a music for just 30 minutes the car would struggle starting. Leaving the rear reading lights on overnight would kill the battery and on two occasions (my 3 year old to blame) required a call to Acura support to jump start the car.

Anyway, our current car's battery was replaced January 2017. Should keep the car going for a while.
Interesting enough there is a label on the battery stating that it has 10 year warranty.

Last edited by SergeyM; 10-17-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SergeyM
I forgot to mention in my original email that we decided to get this 2013 TSX based on our pretty good experience with 2012 TSX that we leased new.
The 2012 car was flawless for 3 years and 31K miles. The battery was a weakest area though. It did last for all three years but if you play a music for just 30 minutes the car would struggle starting. Leaving the rear reading lights on overnight would kill the battery and on two occasions (my 3 year old to blame) required a call to Acura support to jump start the car.

Anyway, our current car's battery was replaced January 2017. Should keep the car going for a while.
Interesting enough there is a label on the battery stating that it has 10 year warranty.
On the 10 year warranty note - apparently this only applies to batteries you paid retail price for! If it was replaced under the vehicle's warranty, the battery warranty itself does not apply. As I said before, I'm planning to ditch my OEM battery on my 2012 soon, I just don't trust it. Did the same for our 2012 MDX, it too was pretty crap.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Got my 2012 wagon at end of 2011. The battery died at the end of 2013 and the dealer replaced it at no charge. It died again an the end of 2016 and I replaced it with an EverStart Maxx from Walmart. Let's see if it lasts longer; it did get good reviews from Consumer Reports