Boston.com Review of TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boston.com Review of TSX

I'm a '08 RDX owner but saw this review on Boston.com for the new TSX and thought you guys might be interested. Personally I love the look of the new TSX. Have yet to drive it but it's a nice car.

http://www.boston.com/cars/car_revie...acks_charisma/
Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically the review is saying it's a good car, but Acura's brand perception is horrible.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a review by the LA Times columnist Dan Neil. I read that a couple weeks ago. Regardless, I think he's spot on with his assessment of the car AND with Acura. In fact, sounds like he's been reading AZ too much
Old 05-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Precisely what I said in a previous thread. Fire the marketing department (completely) OR Acura management is just fine with their sales level and they are a status quo company.

Tuff to believe for Japanese company but maybe there are too many lazy underachievers working there.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Racer

Original:

"Push the car a little harder into turns and, yes, you'll wish you had more steering feel - or some - and you'll..."

Correction:

"Push the car a little harder into turns and, yes, you'll wish you had more steering feel - or at least some steering feel - and you'll..."

-------------------

"Does it drive well? Absolutely.
...[text omitted...]
From the first spin around the block, the TSX feels a bit like a luxury car wrapped around an economy car power train."

Does anyone else see a contradiction here?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by wstagner@yahoo.com
Precisely what I said in a previous thread. Fire the marketing department (completely) OR Acura management is just fine with their sales level and they are a status quo company.

Tuff to believe for Japanese company but maybe there are too many lazy underachievers working there.
yup i agree
Old 05-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
Original:

"Push the car a little harder into turns and, yes, you'll wish you had more steering feel - or some - and you'll..."

Correction:

"Push the car a little harder into turns and, yes, you'll wish you had more steering feel - or at least some steering feel - and you'll..."

-------------------

"Does it drive well? Absolutely.
...[text omitted...]
From the first spin around the block, the TSX feels a bit like a luxury car wrapped around an economy car power train."

Does anyone else see a contradiction here?
The writer is right. Right? People just don't associate FF 4 bangers with luxury. That's the real flaw with this package. And, YES, that makes the car a bit of a contradiction.

Put a powertrain in it like the IS 250 and this would have been a homerun. This new TSX is a step up from the last gen, but it really didn't go far enough IMO. I guess they want to take baby steps to move the brand upstream. I can understand the reasons for that. But I think this was probably too small of a step.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spicyMikey...I prefer the TSX over the IS250 any day! That 6 cylinder is lifeless and boring as hell and the cabin is too cramped! I agree that Acura with a 4 cylinder and FF is not in the same category as others like BMW, Audi but its not to say that they aren't luxury...maybe its should be labelled as a luxury semi sporty sedan....
Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Pro

Where does the rules state a "luxury" car has to be rwd is my ???
I don't want a rwd car esp. with the winters I deal with. I like the fact Acura makes fwd "luxury" cars and it hits a nerve every time I hear a 3 series bmw owner say Acura is not a luxery car because its not rwd. Well I argue their car isn't a "luxery" car because it doesn't have HID's...Just because you pay for an overpriced..maintenace nightmare car means you have a "luxury" car?
A S2K has both rwd and HID's so thats more of a luxery car than a 3 series bmw then right?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Go Big Blue!

Well, it's hard for me to argue this side because I agree with you guys. Badges, prestige, and perception mean little to me. But playing devils advocate, the truth is this shit means a lot to many people. I'm just saying that if Acura wants to do what they say about changing the brands image, then they need to start caring about perception. I think they should have made the TSX with a SHAWD option and a small 6 or the 2.3 from the RDX. It would have then been a perfect step up in my eyes.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
Where does the rules state a "luxury" car has to be rwd...
I don't see any connection between which wheels pull, or push, and luxury.

Both Cadillac and Olds made FWD luxury cars (perhaps from the same basic chassis); both of them had large V-8 engines and the Cadillac had a 500 cubic in (8.2 L) engine. I don't know what they did about torque steer.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Eldorado

Scroll down to the 1967-1970 model.

Note the performance, "Performance was 0–60 mph (0–96 km/h) in less than nine seconds and a top speed of 120 mph (192 km/h)." That was on 429 cubic inches and probably around 11 MPG -- and we think the TSX is slow?

But, both the Olds and the Cads were considered personal luxury cars in their days. They drove, and handled, like a battleship -- not like a boat. And, parking could be a challenge. Sometimes one would wish for tug boats.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mind you the 09 TSX

1) Does NOT have LED Tail lights. (09 model that claims to be luxury with no LED Tail lights is just contradictory )

2) No Push Button Start

plus other features that are missing and thus I do not consider 09 TSX a vast improvement.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Wink L E D s

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Mind you the 09 TSX

1) Does NOT have LED Tail lights. (09 model that claims to be luxury with no LED Tail lights is just contradictory )

2) No Push Button Start

plus other features that are missing and thus I do not consider 09 TSX a vast improvement.
Altho I agree that LEDs would have been nice, Acura is not alone in not offering this in the luxury field. I think that Infiniti is the only brand that offers it on all of their vehicles & are quick to point it out in their marketing ... pretty sure that the ES350 & IS250/350 do not have them ....

I hope that push button starting is on the way --- not the thing currently found in the RL, mind you. Rumor is that the 2009 TL will have it ...

Audi & BMW just announced 8 speed transmissions are on the way ... Ford has announced that they will implement their 6 speed on more vehicles ... Acura/Honda really needs to catch up here.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by TSX69
Altho I agree that LEDs would have been nice, Acura is not alone in not offering this in the luxury field. I think that Infiniti is the only brand that offers it on all of their vehicles & are quick to point it out in their marketing ... pretty sure that the ES350 & IS250/350 do not have them ....

I hope that push button starting is on the way --- not the thing currently found in the RL, mind you. Rumor is that the 2009 TL will have it ...

Audi & BMW just announced 8 speed transmissions are on the way ... Ford has announced that they will implement their 6 speed on more vehicles ... Acura/Honda really needs to catch up here.
I totally agree with many who say the lack of keyless start was another huge mistake. I forgot about that one. Many "economy" cars are beginning to offer it. Certainly, every lux vehicile should have it. Unlike the LED lights, keyless start is a truely beneficial feature for the driver. I have it on my RL. it's not push button, but who cares about that. The keyless entry and start (no matter what method is used) allows you to get into the car and start it without ever reaching for the key fob. It's a GREAT convenience feature that you quickly get accustomed too. It's even more beneficial for women who must search their purse for the key everytime they need to get in. Also very handy when your hands are full with packages.

Acura made a HUGE mistake with that omission. Maybe they'll add it for the MMC
Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I totally agree with many who say the lack of keyless start was another huge mistake. I forgot about that one. Many "economy" cars are beginning to offer it. Certainly, every lux vehicile should have it. Unlike the LED lights, keyless start is a truely beneficial feature for the driver. I have it on my RL. it's not push button, but who cares about that. The keyless entry and start (no matter what method is used) allows you to get into the car and start it without ever reaching for the key fob. It's a GREAT convenience feature that you quickly get accustomed too. It's even more beneficial for women who must search their purse for the key everytime they need to get in. Also very handy when your hands are full with packages.

Acura made a HUGE mistake with that omission. Maybe they'll add it for the MMC
i doubt it.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by Mokos23
i doubt it.
Me too

It was wishful thinking
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TSX69

8 speeds are a bit redundant and Audi and BMW are only doing it to really compete with Lexus. Lexus' is pretty smooth, but I really don't see much point in needing an 8 over a 6 or even 7, other than the "look at me" factor.

That said, Honda really does need a 6 speed, especially in the Accord, as well as the entire Acura lineup. I'm sure it would've helped a bit with the fuel efficiency from both brands.

And what's with people's fascination with push starters? Have we gotten so lazy that we can't turn a key? Keep it and use that money to give me better quality plastics, or something far more tangible. It's not like the button's going to all of a sudden make Acura's brand perception shoot through the roof.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by vip08
8 speeds are a bit redundant and Audi and BMW are only doing it to really compete with Lexus. Lexus' is pretty smooth, but I really don't see much point in needing an 8 over a 6 or even 7, other than the "look at me" factor.

That said, Honda really does need a 6 speed, especially in the Accord, as well as the entire Acura lineup. I'm sure it would've helped a bit with the fuel efficiency from both brands.

And what's with people's fascination with push starters? Have we gotten so lazy that we can't turn a key? Keep it and use that money to give me better quality plastics, or something far more tangible. It's not like the button's going to all of a sudden make Acura's brand perception shoot through the roof.
Spoken like a person who never had a car with keyless start and entry.

It's just a fantastic feature that you get used to very quickly once you have it. It's like electric windows. I'm old enough to have owned quite a few with crank windows. Now I couldn't imagine owning a car with cranks. What's the big deal? Are we so lazy that we can't turn a crank 5 times to raise or lower a window? I guess the answer is "yes"

Like I said in a post above, it's not a gimic feature (like LED headlights). It REALLY does make your life more convenient. First time you need to get in the car with a handful of packages, you appreciate it. Also, don't forget, with the key ALWAYS in your pocket, no more wories about misplacing them or locking them in the car. And lets not forget the all so common situation where you find yourself running from a flesh chomping zombie and you need to make a quick getaway. No more fumbling nervously to get the key in the slot Yep, keyless start will kill that classic horror movie scene forever.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM
D

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Also, don't forget, with the key ALWAYS in your pocket, no more wories about misplacing them or locking them in the car. And lets not forget the all so common situation where you find yourself running from a flesh chomping zombie and you need to make a quick getaway. No more fumbling nervously to get the key in the slot Yep, keyless start will kill that classic horror movie scene forever.
Haha, that's awesome.