Anyone driving with Tein coilovers on there Tsx ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone driving with Tein coilovers on there Tsx ?

Hey everyone i was thinking of purchasing the Tein street advance coilovers for my V6 and would like to know if anyone here has these on there Tsx ... If yes how do you like them ? Thanks !!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
I have them on my 1st and 2nd gen TSX's.

Both cars ride fantastic. Much better than the stock suspension in terms of both, comfort and control.

Tips:
Make sure you carefully follow Tein's recommendations on height, etc. To properly set the dampers, you should (every time) go to full hard...and then count clicks backward to get where you want.

The only complaint I had was lack of upward adjustment on the rear coilover. I couldn't get my wagon high enough for winter driving so I had to have a spacer CNC'd. May not be a concern for sedans.

I am very happy and would recommend them if you're looking for a soft, comfortable suspension that gives up a little bit of body control (compared to other coilovers) for the sake of said comfort.

The SA's are probably in the "top 3" for coilovers under $1200 for this car.

Last edited by BROlando; 05-02-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:16 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
I have TEIN Street Basis on my I4 TSX. It's the entry model coilover from TEIN meant for the street, and is more or less like the Street Advance on medium (or a bit stiffer) damping. I bought them 2 years ago, way before TEIN slashed all their prices (or I probably would've gone with SAs myself).

I can't complain; they've been good to me. It's hard to describe level of comfort/discomfort, as this is subjective for each person. On bumpier roads it's obviously noticeable, but the ride is smooth and very OEM-like otherwise. I really enjoy it, and no real regrets other than wishing TEIN had lowered their prices 1.5 years earlier haha.

I don't recall with the SAs... but the Street Basis (re)use the OEM top hats. I ordered a separate set from Acura because I didn't want to deal with disassembling them from my stock shocks, and to ease the process of going-back-to-stock if I ever needed to in the future. The advantage of utilizing the OEM top hats, as far as I know, is to reduce the cost of the coilovers, as well as having a comfier, noise-free ride. I've read/heard that with some coilovers that use their provided metal top hats there could be annoying vibrations/noises from time to time, which is not acceptable for me in a daily driver.

As for low, I can tuck tire, but you're obviously not going to get the super slammed look. If all you want is a 1.5inch, maybe 2inch-ish drop at most, then these are for you. Any lower and the more entry-level TEINs will likely perform/ride poorly. Best performance would likely correspond with their recommended settings. Deviating from this probably won't feel as good.

You can check out my build thread to see how low I've set mine. They're definitely lower than their recommended settings... but I haven't maxed them out. Likely won't go any lower as I kinda like how she sits now.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
I have TEIN Street Basis on my I4 TSX. It's the entry model coilover from TEIN meant for the street, and is more or less like the Street Advance on medium (or a bit stiffer) damping. I bought them 2 years ago, way before TEIN slashed all their prices (or I probably would've gone with SAs myself).

I can't complain; they've been good to me. It's hard to describe level of comfort/discomfort, as this is subjective for each person. On bumpier roads it's obviously noticeable, but the ride is smooth and very OEM-like otherwise. I really enjoy it, and no real regrets other than wishing TEIN had lowered their prices 1.5 years earlier haha.

I don't recall with the SAs... but the Street Basis (re)use the OEM top hats. I ordered a separate set from Acura because I didn't want to deal with disassembling them from my stock shocks, and to ease the process of going-back-to-stock if I ever needed to in the future. The advantage of utilizing the OEM top hats, as far as I know, is to reduce the cost of the coilovers, as well as having a comfier, noise-free ride. I've read/heard that with some coilovers that use their provided metal top hats there could be annoying vibrations/noises from time to time, which is not acceptable for me in a daily driver.

As for low, I can tuck tire, but you're obviously not going to get the super slammed look. If all you want is a 1.5inch, maybe 2inch-ish drop at most, then these are for you. Any lower and the more entry-level TEINs will likely perform/ride poorly. Best performance would likely correspond with their recommended settings. Deviating from this probably won't feel as good.

You can check out my build thread to see how low I've set mine. They're definitely lower than their recommended settings... but I haven't maxed them out. Likely won't go any lower as I kinda like how she sits now.
Thanks for the reply very reassuring .. You're ride looks great ... I find it weird that the 4 cylinder model Tein sa has the same part number and specs then the v6 isn't there a weight difference between the 2 .. How much are you lowered on you're ride ?
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Safety Car

Any coilover I've seen will fit the V6 and I4. They go with a "works for all" type of spring. Tein just recommends a stiffer damper setting on the front of a V6. The adjuster seems to control rebound AND bump settings.

Their instructions are well laid out.

I have been very happy. The ones on my 1G have 55k miles and are still going strong!! Plus, virtually no rust after 3 chivatoland (chicagoland) winters.
xtcnrice (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by max4swag
Thanks for the reply very reassuring .. You're ride looks great ... I find it weird that the 4 cylinder model Tein sa has the same part number and specs then the v6 isn't there a weight difference between the 2 .. How much are you lowered on you're ride ?
Yep... as mentioned in the other TEIN thread, they're physically the same. Likely just spring rates and damping differences that are internal. With the SAs you can accommodate what your V6 needs by adjusting the damping to stiffer/softer as you like.

I honestly haven't measured how much I'm lowered sorry I can't give you an answer. I put it to slightly lower than recommended at first... then I adjusted it again until I was happy with the height. I'd have to take my wheels off and measure the threading to tell you . But it'll likely be the same for you as well; if you get coilovers... you'll install with similar-to-recommended specs as an initial baseline, and you'll likely end up adjusting as you see fit.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
Any coilover I've seen will fit the V6 and I4. They go with a "works for all" type of spring. Tein just recommends a stiffer damper setting on the front of a V6. The adjuster seems to control rebound AND bump settings.

Their instructions are well laid out.

I have been very happy. The ones on my 1G have 55k miles and are still going strong!! Plus, virtually no rust after 3 chivatoland (chicagoland) winters.
Thanks !! That's some good info about the v6 settings .. How low are you set ? They recommend 1.8 all around that should tuck the wheels perfectly ?!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Yep... as mentioned in the other TEIN thread, they're physically the same. Likely just spring rates and damping differences that are internal. With the SAs you can accommodate what your V6 needs by adjusting the damping to stiffer/softer as you like.

I honestly haven't measured how much I'm lowered sorry I can't give you an answer. I put it to slightly lower than recommended at first... then I adjusted it again until I was happy with the height. I'd have to take my wheels off and measure the threading to tell you . But it'll likely be the same for you as well; if you get coilovers... you'll install with similar-to-recommended specs as an initial baseline, and you'll likely end up adjusting as you see fit.
Thanks a lot for the info .. Very helpful to make my choice !!!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Do you have any camber I heard that the front doesn't need a camber kit but the rear most likely will need a camber kit depending on the drop .. I was thinking of getting a Megan racing rear camber arm removes 1 degree of camber Im not sure if this will be enough !!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:57 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by max4swag
Do you have any camber I heard that the front doesn't need a camber kit but the rear most likely will need a camber kit depending on the drop .. I was thinking of getting a Megan racing rear camber arm removes 1 degree of camber Im not sure if this will be enough !!
Yes with my initial drop (see my earlier pages in build thread for an idea) I ended up with like -3 to -3.5 degrees of negative camber. While this didn't really bother me that much, I ended up getting a rear camber kit anyways. I think -3.5 degrees might be pushing it a bit, but I think a proper alignment even at -3.5 should still be okay for your tires (as long as you correct the toe).

I got the JPower 6pc kit from eBay (3 arms on each side). They're basically the same as the SPCs, minus the name. A lot of people on here are using them without any issues.

I don't have a camber kit in the front. I thought about it, because my with my current wheel+tire setup the fronts poke out a bit, but I decided not to and I've been doing just fine
Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Safety Car

My sedan is lowered maybe 1.5", and so is the wagon.

The wagon's wheel-arch center to hub center measurment is 13.5" front and like 13.625" in the back. Tein's recommendations were 13.4F and 13.2 rear. Wasn't really wanting it that low.

Tein's recommendations make the threads end up pretty much ALL the way to the top lol (rear). So there's only room to lower it from what they suggest.

Again, I had to make a CNC'd spacer in the back to get the car's height where I wanted. Its currently about 1/2 to 3/4" lower than it is in this pic.

Name:  20150405_190016_zpst7pix9me.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  146.8 KB
xtcnrice (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Safety Car

The front camber will be out of spec by a little. The rears will be WAY out. I am at -3 in the back. I lowered the car about 1.5" or 2".

I cannot fix the rear camber because the 18x8.5 +35 wheels with 245/40/17's will hit the fender arch with only a small amount less camber.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:21 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Roland that is a sweet pic of your (gf's) wagon!

How's the 1G holding up? Sigh I really, really want an AP2... but prices are ridiculous in Canada and it's been tough ever since I bought my own place
Old 05-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Yes with my initial drop (see my earlier pages in build thread for an idea) I ended up with like -3 to -3.5 degrees of negative camber. While this didn't really bother me that much, I ended up getting a rear camber kit anyways. I think -3.5 degrees might be pushing it a bit, but I think a proper alignment even at -3.5 should still be okay for your tires (as long as you correct the toe).

I got the JPower 6pc kit from eBay (3 arms on each side). They're basically the same as the SPCs, minus the name. A lot of people on here are using them without any issues.

I don't have a camber kit in the front. I thought about it, because my with my current wheel+tire setup the fronts poke out a bit, but I decided not to and I've been doing just fine
Might be getting the rear camber kit only ... Just to make sure .. Is this the one you have on you'res ?

Old 05-03-2016, 01:15 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Yup!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:01 PM
Safety Car

Roland that is a sweet pic of your (gf's) wagon!

How's the 1G holding up? Sigh I really, really want an AP2... but prices are ridiculous in Canada and it's been tough ever since I bought my own place
Thanks man. The 1G is holding up great with 145K miles as of now! It still feels like a 30K mile car! Crazy how well built the Accord/TSX is.

How's your 2G? Still driving it thru those Canadian winters?
xtcnrice (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 02:08 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
Thanks man. The 1G is holding up great with 145K miles as of now! It still feels like a 30K mile car! Crazy how well built the Accord/TSX is.

How's your 2G? Still driving it thru those Canadian winters?
Lol yup. Forever a daily until I can afford another car.