Any 2nd Gen TSX Owners with small children??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Any 2nd Gen TSX Owners with small children??

Hey everyone, new to the forum, not to the Acura nameplate. I was considering purchasing a TL as a second car for the wife. We just had our 1st child and our 4 dr Civic isn't cutting it anymore. But with the insane price of gas these days (1.46/L), I think the TSX is starting to make more sense. Its too bad because the TL has plenty of room in the back. My question is if any current 2nd gen TSX owners are able to comfortably fit a car seat in. I did manage to see the new TSX but only from the outside. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Cruisin'

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. My current car is getting "up there" on miles so we're looking at a relatively comfortable/sporty/economical alternative. The TSX is in the shortlist. What i found out during my visit(s) to the dealership follows...

I have a 4 y.o. and a 7 m.o., the 4 y.o. car seat (not booster) fits just fine in the forward position with some room to spare for the kid to move his legs about (or kick the backside of the front seat). The rear-facing seat for the 7 m.o., however, is a little tougher. I still have one of those convertible infant/small child ones that you can take with you. It's hard to move the handles back to the resting position when the seat is already situated in the car. What i do is just move the handle back before i place the seat on the base. (It's a bit cumbersome, but i don't mind it).

My only concern with the TSX is the findings from Motherproof.com, the back seats don't seem to be as booster seat friendly as some vehicles. You can view their "kid-tested" videos on their page. But it's nothing glaring, for vehicles in this size and range, i think it's a bit common for kids to have to hunt for the latch anyway.

I'm curious though, if you're already driving a Civic, why move up to the TSX if gas is your only concern? It doesn't do any better than the Civic, plus it requires premium fuel. Not to mention, the higher cost of your car loan on the TSX will more than offset the savings you have with gas (if any).

Of course, the TSX is quite a bit more comfortable (I, too, got rid of my 2dr Civic nearly a decade ago and replaced it with a Maxima).
Old 06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I disagree with Sara and Em (motherproof.com reviewers). I use a Britax Parkway for my 5 yo daughter when she visits. I have to reach around/over her to buckle her in (she doesn't buckle herself in), and it's tricky, but not impossible. And when she's buckled in, I know she's secure. Booster seat? I wouldn't use one, certainly not in this lightweight sporty car.

I used Graco convertibles and a Britax Roundabout, but not in this car, so I can't comment on the 0 - 6 mo and 6 mo - 3 yo seats in the TSX. I'm a Britax devotee, btw.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I disagree with Sara and Em (motherproof.com reviewers). I use a Britax Parkway for my 5 yo daughter when she visits. I have to reach around/over her to buckle her in (she doesn't buckle herself in), and it's tricky, but not impossible. And when she's buckled in, I know she's secure. Booster seat? I wouldn't use one, certainly not in this lightweight sporty car.

I used Graco convertibles and a Britax Roundabout, but not in this car, so I can't comment on the 0 - 6 mo and 6 mo - 3 yo seats in the TSX. I'm a Britax devotee, btw.
Do you have a 1st Gen TSX or a 2nd Gen? The review said the 1st Gen was perfectly fine, but for whatever reason the 2009 model sucks with seatbelts.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Intermediate

Do you have a 1st Gen TSX or a 2nd Gen? The review said the 1st Gen was perfectly fine, but for whatever reason the 2009 model sucks with car seat seatbelts.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Booster seat? I wouldn't use one, certainly not in this lightweight sporty car.
Why not? I'm just curious as I wouldn't consider the 2009 to be lightweight by any means. It's heavier than my 2002 Maxima and has roughly the same amount of interior space in the areas that matter (hip/shoulder/leg) - and my Maxima is nowhere near the lightweight category and is plenty safe for a family car carrying kids in booster seats.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Damn, I thought I put my signature in that reply. I drive a 2006 TSX. I hadn't heard that the rear seatbelts changed much ... in fact, in those videos, it looks pretty much like my car. But again ... I don't let my 5 yo daughter buckle herself in. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to trust that she's buckled herself in properly , but not for a while. So ... I question the "safe mommies" that are reviewing cars' safety and convenience based on kids' ability to buckle themselves.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Why not? I'm just curious as I wouldn't consider the 2009 to be lightweight by any means. It's heavier than my 2002 Maxima and has roughly the same amount of interior space in the areas that matter (hip/shoulder/leg) - and my Maxima is nowhere near the lightweight category and is plenty safe for a family car carrying kids in booster seats.
Well, for one, I think she's too young for a simple booster seat. Secondly, the car is fast and sporty, so no matter how conservatively I drive, I want her to have some head and body side protection (keeping her centered). True, it's not featherweight, but it's not a big CUV/SUV or minivan either. You can see the Parkway, way more support and protection than a booster. I like how it supports her head in a side impact (not yet, thankfully) or when she wants to doze (time to time).
Old 06-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Intermediate

Booster seats are just not recommended in general. They are not as protective as harnessed seats for children. They make harnessed seats for older kids like the Radian 80 and 65, Britax Regent, Recaro Signo, SafeGUARD, Graco Nautilus, etc., which are supposed to be much safer in an accident than boosters because they provide protection and support appropriately sized/proportioned for smaller bodies. (Although seats like the Graco Nautilus only can harness up to 65 pounds, then you gotta convert it into a booster which can go up to 100 pounds.)
Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. My current car is getting "up there" on miles so we're looking at a relatively comfortable/sporty/economical alternative. The TSX is in the shortlist. What i found out during my visit(s) to the dealership follows...

I have a 4 y.o. and a 7 m.o., the 4 y.o. car seat (not booster) fits just fine in the forward position with some room to spare for the kid to move his legs about (or kick the backside of the front seat). The rear-facing seat for the 7 m.o., however, is a little tougher. I still have one of those convertible infant/small child ones that you can take with you. It's hard to move the handles back to the resting position when the seat is already situated in the car. What i do is just move the handle back before i place the seat on the base. (It's a bit cumbersome, but i don't mind it).

My only concern with the TSX is the findings from Motherproof.com, the back seats don't seem to be as booster seat friendly as some vehicles. You can view their "kid-tested" videos on their page. But it's nothing glaring, for vehicles in this size and range, i think it's a bit common for kids to have to hunt for the latch anyway.

I'm curious though, if you're already driving a Civic, why move up to the TSX if gas is your only concern? It doesn't do any better than the Civic, plus it requires premium fuel. Not to mention, the higher cost of your car loan on the TSX will more than offset the savings you have with gas (if any).

Of course, the TSX is quite a bit more comfortable (I, too, got rid of my 2dr Civic nearly a decade ago and replaced it with a Maxima).
I went to test drive a 09 TSX with my 14 month old daughter. I was able to buckle up the Britax car seat in 15 seconds and had my daughter in there comfortably in 15 seconds. There is a lot of room in the front seat with my daughter buckled in. Take in mind, I took the car seat out of GX470 and moved it into the TSX with ease. We have an 02 Civic 4 door and the Britax does not fit in there without the front seat moving all the way up. So their is ample room in the TSX. I test drove a TL as well when I was at the dealership. The room was not a whole lot more, just a little more. So go ahead and get the TSX and dont worry about the room for your child.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I am running the Reacro Young Sport. My kid loves it. If it fits in an M3 coupe it'll fit in a 4dr Acura

I get these for about $250 shipped. Come in all colors.
http://recaro.com/index.php?id=3329&region=3&L=2

Marcus
Old 06-13-2008, 01:48 PM

I remember seeing a LEATHER Recaro child seat on Amazon once. My jaw dropped.

... I'd get one if it matched the TSX' interior. Oops, they do. -- Nevermind, the Recaro Vivo looks almost exactly like my Britax, except the Recaro has arm rests. When my daughter starts contributing to the gas money, she can have a leather Recaro.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

I test drove an 09 with the kids. I had a britax booster (like the one pictured above) and a normal 5 -point type graco installed for the test. It was not that difficult to get them in. My older daughter thought it was cool that the windows went all the way down.

Rear facing car seats suck in any car except a mini-van. It's just the facts of life. But it's only for a year or 18 months depending on who you ask.

My wife and I are not super tall, so the front seats are not slid too far back. Rear leg-room was a small step -up compared to my current 4 dr civic. I still don't think a rear facing seat would fit that well.

Good luck with the little one.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
You guys see the Vivo Lite from Recaro! Only $89 booster seat.

http://recaro.com/index.php?id=3341&region=3&L=2

Marcus
Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Yep. Then look at my Britax Parkway (above). Not a whole helluva lotta difference. Though the MSRP for the Britax is a bit more, but street price is lower. BTW, some of the "cool" booster seats I've had in my hands and tested had very little padding, basically some cheap foam over hard plastic. Haven't met a Recaro kids' seat in person, though.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Intermediate

For those of you in 2nd Gen 2009 TSX... Have you cross-shopped the 2008 (or 3rd Gen) TL? I am having the hardest time deciding between the two. I'm wondering how much space difference there actually is in the backseat for toddlers/carseats??? I know what the dimensions say, but I'm wondering if there is a practical difference? Also, if you put baby seat in middle, can you still lower the 40 split bench? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
For those of you in 2nd Gen 2009 TSX... Have you cross-shopped the 2008 (or 3rd Gen) TL? I am having the hardest time deciding between the two. I'm wondering how much space difference there actually is in the backseat for toddlers/carseats??? I know what the dimensions say, but I'm wondering if there is a practical difference? Also, if you put baby seat in middle, can you still lower the 40 split bench? Thanks in advance!
Well, first off, if you are looking for a vehicle with a folding back seat, the TSX has it, but the TL does NOT.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Well, first off, if you are looking for a vehicle with a folding back seat, the TSX has it, but the TL does NOT.
Right, but that's ONLY functional to me if you can put the baby in the middle AND use the 40 side to fold down. If you can't fold the 40 side with the baby in the middle, then it's essentially like a full bench since I like the carseat in the middle. (That's why I was asking the question.)
Old 06-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI

If you're using LATCH, you can't put the baby in the center of any Honda as far as I know - the seat must be to one side.

We have an '04 TSX and an '08 Civic EXL. Two different Britax seats fit fine in both cars (Roundabout and a newer larger one).

Apologies for not being able to directly address the topic since I don't have a 2nd gen TSX.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 AM
Advanced

Anyone with a 2009 TSX have any recommendations for a baby seat for a new born that I'm expecting in October? I went on some car seat rating/compatibility sites, but none have any info on the 2009 model. Any recommended sites as well?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shaqali
Hey everyone, new to the forum, not to the Acura nameplate. I was considering purchasing a TL as a second car for the wife. We just had our 1st child and our 4 dr Civic isn't cutting it anymore. But with the insane price of gas these days (1.46/L), I think the TSX is starting to make more sense. Its too bad because the TL has plenty of room in the back. My question is if any current 2nd gen TSX owners are able to comfortably fit a car seat in. I did manage to see the new TSX but only from the outside. Thanks for any input.

I have both and the TSX does rule on gas. If if was in BC and looking for my wife and child, SH-AWD would be the only way to go. Unless the other car is AWD/4wd ?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've a new born baby and fit a baby capsule inside my Accord Euro CU2 (TSX 2nd gen) and trust me... only 1 person can fit beside the capsule... TSX 2nd gen back seat is smaller than the Civic FD I owned previously
Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Coming from a 90 Civic Si, the 09 TSX is quite a bit roomier. I tried the 3G TL before getting my CBP Tech last year. Rear dimensions are almost the same, but I like the idea of folding rear seats.

My only complaint, the seat belt buckle recess too much for the back seats making it difficult for my two young boys (both in Graco booster seats) to buckle the seat belts in themselves sometimes.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
The 3rd gen TL was too small for me, front or rear seat.

Nothing relevant to contribute here other than having 3 baby seats at the same time in the backs of my cars 5+ years ago.

The day they learned to get in a buckle themselves ranks right up there with the day I bought my last pack of Huggies. =)