Acura TSX is the worst car that ever had - Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tishkevich
I've driven across country in this car 12 - 18 hours at a time and touched the ecu twice, when the sun came up, and when the sun went down.
Do you have the nav package?? I do, and it uses the GPS to detect where the sun is in relation to the orientation of vehicle. It then adjusts the climate control so the right temperature is maintained within the cabin, despite the presence or absence of direct sunlight through the windshield.

Soooo clever!!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
CoolGuyNY, reasonable solutions to your problems have been discussed! If this really is the worst car that ever had, being open minded and trying some of these out cant be worse than the car as it is right now. Were just tryna help...although you are being quite nitpicky

-Microphone: wait a few seconds before you say hello.
-Brakes: take your car in for the servive bulletin, they will fix your brakes for free
-Gas Sloshing: Turn on some music and just fade it to the back speakers or something...cant be any more horrid than the sound of sloshing gas.
-Climate Control: close the vents you dont want and point it away from you. you say this is ineffective but thats impossible cause the vent is physically closed lol. If you still feel air coming out from it than take it into acura and tell them that because that is a legitimate default in the vent system.
-GPS: invest in a $200 Garmin or tomtom

Last edited by ttk5; 03-09-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Instructor

My TSX could only have 2 wheel, only play country rap and smell like a skunk and it still only not be the worse car I ever owned..... I owned an AMC Gremlin!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Racer

my climate control works great. maybe you dont know how to use it.

the gas sloshing around is a little annoying.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoolGuyNY
Hello everybody, after reading your replies I want to say the following

1. I am the real customer who held his mouth shut for a long time, but after driving to a mall in upstate this weekend and for 2 house suffering in the car with my wife, because of the STUPID climate control (the only comfortable position that I found is to Shut It OFF for 15 minutes and they start again for a while.), I went here, registered and wrote my review. Everything that I wrote is UnFixable, and this is only for potential customers to see.

2. For those who gave me an advise to Sell It. I would be HAPPY to sell it, but I Leased it and for 3 fuc..ing years.

3. For those who asked me what I drove before. I drove: Dodge Intrepid, WV Passat, Nissan Maxima 2001, Maxima 2007. Never had any problem with climate control in any of those car. I am very stupid that I did not go with a new maxima, I want it to go to a Luxury level car, and try how is that.. And here you go. Now all I can do is sitting here and beac..ing about it.

4. For those who asked "if I know how to use a climate contro". - Yes I do. I went to a 2 different dealers 4 times, and they "happily" showed me. That did not change anything. When the car is taking the whole control over the climate control and you Disagree with it, what are you going to do? there is no manual override.

and may be my car is defective, but I did took it to a dealer 4 times, spent almost entire day per visit, that is total of 4 days and they did not help me. What else do you want me to do? I am 30 years old guy who wants to Cry because i am stuck with a problem that I can't even proof and everybody thing that I am crazy. Do you think it's pleasant to explain to a dealer that "I'm not stupid, the car is blowing cold air", and he is saying that the computer is saying that everything is ok. What world are we living in if we trust the computer over human bin?
I would recommend writing a letter to Honda and explain your situation. I had a 2008 Accord before my 2009 TSX which I had a ton of problems with. They got back to me and offered to compensate me for the time and inconvenience I experienced. It's worth a shot.

In regards to using an enthusiasts forum to vent, I think you've chosen the wrong channel for that. Honda has customer care for a reason and you should use it. We can't help you here and all you can expect are some criticizing responses since we all spent good money on these cars.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
The guy is a troll folks. 2 posts. He is here just to cause problems.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts

but its fun to mess around with em.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1c. “Places Search” is the worst. It’s not friendly at all. (and I am very good with all technologies) Here is one stupid example, when for example you search for “Wendy’s” it gives you Wendy’s that 2000 miles away. You really have to find your way how to start search that can search by the distance. And when want to make a “way point” there is no way at all to do that.
It takes some getting used to but I find it very simple now. Just do place name by keyword and THEN search by distance and bingo. It's really not that hard. Finding the nearest Wendy's, for instance, is very simple.

2. Microphone.

2a. This is my 3rd car with Bluetooth, and this is the worst Microphone ever. People hear you very bad; it’s like you on a very bad speakerphone.

2b. There is a 3-4 seconds delay between when you answer the phone and people starting to hear you. So you end up screaming HELLO for the 5th time before people can hear you.
You want to confirm that? Here is the forum with people campaigns https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=phone
Agreed that they need to improve the microphone.

3. Climate Control (this the worst)
If you live in the place where you have cold winter (40F and below), you will regret the day you bought this car.
This car heats up faster and better than any other car I've ever had. Prior cars I've owned before this, 1987 Regal, 1991 Probe GT, 1997 Accord EX, 2004 MDX, 2005 Audi S4, 2006 Honda Civic.

4. Brakes
Brakes are very squeaky, just like public city bus.
Brakes squeal about as much as my S4 when cold. I get no brake squeal after the car warms up and drives a few blocks. The first couple blocks after I start up my TSX in the middle of the winter there is definite brake squeal though, but that was the way with my last car.

5. Gas Tank
When you have more then half of tank of gas you will hear the gas splashing very loud.
I don't think I've ever had a car where I never hear the gas splash. Certainly the TSX is no different than anything else here.

Weird list to conclude "worst car ever." LOL. What irks me about the car is some of the strange interface choices, like when you search in our city you have to actually list off the cities to search, you can't just select the current one, unless I'm missing something. That and the Bluetooth is annoying, saying "Call Mom" I have to tell the system "Yes" afterword every single time. And the audio functions are a little off, like for IPOD you have to hit up on the dial in order to get the menu of songs, which is kind of awkward.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
BTW I'm in Chicago, land of the extreme temperature swings. Just set the climate control temp to 70 degrees, I have the AC off, and the vent only to my feet. I turn the side vents off, just like every other Honda/Acura product I've owned. Not sure what Honda/Acura does this but I have a feeling it has to do with keeping the windows defogged. But you can physically close the vents. For the climate system just set it and forget it. Forget manual controls, the car will stay at the perfect temp for you. Even in the extremes of Chicago. I don't think I ever even touch my climate system controls.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

You guys must have super sensitive ears, I have never heard gas sloshing around in my cars, and I been driving for 16 years.

OP has some valid complaints, although calling it the worst car ever is a bit preposterous. I havent experienced any issues with my climate control, brakes or GPS.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM
1st Gear

Don't have the tech package so can't comment much on the factory nav but I'll say that I've had 3 new cars (08 Z06, 09 C63, 07 G35) in the last 3 years all with factory navigation and none of them compared to the Garmin GPS units I've used ... which is why I elected not to bother getting factory nav this time ... bought a Garmin 765 instead. You mention the 'find nearest xxx' problem ... had the same issue with the merc nav ... would list all stores with a particular name in the country in no particular order and there wasn't any way to sort,etc ... completely worthless.

I had similiar climate control problems with the merc and I wonder if it is because of the sensor (gps or sun?) that comes with the tech package ... just a thought .. because the merc had similiar technology. I've actually been thinking how nice it is to have a climate control system that works since i got the TSX ... but again don't have the tech package so maybe that is the diff.

With that said, I am very happy with this car ... i think the interior is better than the merc interior ... can't say it is a better car than the G35 but I think its pretty comparable in terms of fit/finish/quality and was quite a bit cheaper.

Haven't noticed any of the other isssues you mentioned ...
Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
2010 6MT non-tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
regarding the climate control, i hit auto, hit the A/C button (to turn A/C off; don't know why it defaults to ON when all i do is hit auto), set the temperature, and it does its thing. if it's 55 degrees in the car and i set it to 75, the fans will run on medium-high until the temperature gets up to 75, and then it levels off to a constant, low setting, to maintain 75. it works perfectly and the defrost takes all of 10-15 seconds to clear off the entire windshield when it is fogged up.

i seriously think your climate control is bonkers if it is acting the way you describe. take it to another dealer, write a letter to Acura, i don't know. good luck.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a 2004 Maxima and Currently own a 2003 Titanium Edition aswell as my 09 TSX.

Both Maximas are/were fully loaded.

The TSX is a base model with clothe and no fog lights.

I like the TSX ten times better than both Maximas and its by far the best car I've ever owned...to each their own i guess
Old 03-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Instructor

so... to hear ur gas sloshing around, do you people always drive in complete silence?? on my way home from work, i literally tried to hear my gas sloshing... turned off my music, turned off all the vents and climate control.... i heard nothing but the goodness of the engine and the stock intake whirring when i accelerate... HOW DO U HEAR GAS SLOSHING?? I used to drive a 2000 honda prelude.. i loved that car, now i drive 09 tsx.. i love this car even more.. i'd have to agree the tech gps is pretty shitty, but everything else has been a pretty amazing experience... i've driven my sisters 08 335i plenty of times, just isn't as comfortable, i can say i like the feeling of the tight steering better, and the extra horses, but i can say i love the styling and the interior of the tsx by far, awesome interior, super comfortable seats
Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 AM
Instructor

oh yea also, im in calgary canada... i drove the tsx through some extreme temperatures this year... try like -40 to -50 Celsius ... thats cold enough to freeze the snot coming out of ur nose instantly, compared to my prelude, the tsx heated up in no time, got in the car, cranked up the head, pressed the window vents only button, pressed the defroster button, turned on ac, turned on the recirculation button, turned on the heated seats to hi, 4-5 mins tsx was escalating to a very comfortable temperature, after warm i just hit auto, leave it on hi, turn heated seats to lo. can't say i've had a more comfortable -40 to -50 winter in the tsx
Old 03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how does your car even start in that temperature? lol you got a engine block heater?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Advanced

hmmm

Climate control is about as good/bad as any other system in any other car. They NEVER do exactly what you want - even in manual mode. Learn the quirks and deal with it.

Brakes squeak. That problem is legit. I think its a defective pad design.

Sloshing gas - thats normal in any car with a gas tank, although I have never heard it.

Nav is difficult. Agreed. I find that I can't always show closest places first. Sometimes its easier to set a destination in the city I want to search. Then do a "search near detination". I use the nav screen 99.9% for audio anyway.

Not to mention the resolution on the screen looks 10 years old.

You forgot that the engine is buzzy at higher rpms and needs about 40 more HP.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jonnie5
HOW DO U HEAR GAS SLOSHING??
You fill the tank and then stop abruptly from a very slow speed, or accelerate quickly and then brake. Instant sloshing!

As far as I'm concerned, it's not really a problem, just an observation. And it's reasonably loud in as much as it makes a sort of 'thud' type noise which can sound like the exhaust hitting the underside. I've never heard it in any car I've owned, but that's not to say it doesn't happen in other cars.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverCU3
You fill the tank and then stop abruptly from a very slow speed, or accelerate quickly and then brake. Instant sloshing!

As far as I'm concerned, it's not really a problem, just an observation. And it's reasonably loud in as much as it makes a sort of 'thud' type noise which can sound like the exhaust hitting the underside. I've never heard it in any car I've owned, but that's not to say it doesn't happen in other cars.

yeah.. never happened in my car, and i drive around sometimes with no sound and do exactly what you're saying just because i'm driving like an idiot, no loud noises
Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The OP is full of hyperbole. I cannot take it seriously to even post a retort. If he hates his car, he should trade it in or sell it for another. End of story.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAB00
The OP is full of hyperbole. I cannot take it seriously to even post a retort. If he hates his car, he should trade it in or sell it for another. End of story.

I'm still amazed that people with poor writing skills can still make enough $$ in this world to afford an Acura TSX Tech. (Not you, I mean the OP)

I have my complaints about the TSX which i have voiced very frequently on this forum and I admit, i'm a picky SOB. That being said, this is far from the worst car I've ever had and even farther from being a bad car.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can agree to some extent with the complaints raised here.
For example I can hear the gas in the tank but only ai parking speeds and it doesn’t really bother me. However I would fix if I can, but this is just because I always try to fix the things I don't like regardless that they are big or not.

The breaks do not squeak but the truth is I don’t like how the OEM braking pads are performing at sudden breaks over 60mph or at repeated breaks. I will change them for Ferodo when the time comes.
The GPS I rarely use when I go abroad as they have no map yet for my country (Romania). It came in the package with other options and I couldn’t only chose to have or not the GPS. It works reasonable as far as I used it in Europe. The display is somewhat old style and there would be place for more pixels.

The microphone is ok and only a few times I’ve been told that the persons at the other end couldn’t hear me well. I use an Iphone and sometimes it gets blocked and I have to restart the car as there is no reset button but I think this a software/compatibility problem. I didn’t try other phones to compare. I do wait a second until I say “Hello” but it doesn’t bother me.

It is unavoidable, I think, that you find things you like and things you don’t at a car, especially when there is a huge bunch of gadgets available. It is impossible to satisfy everyone. You may also find little things missing which makes you wonder how the hell they can think about adjusting the climate in connection with the GPS but they omit putting a power supply in the trunk or for the back seats passengers. The driver can charge his phone, but the passengers not. I don’t mind about his particular one because I always am the driver.
There are also great things like the seats and their lateral support, road behavior, lively engine (K type, the Honda real thing) and many others.
To say that this car has some issues depending on the needs of a particular user could be reasonable, but to say generally that it is a piece of carp is fundamentally wrong. You get a good value for the money paid.

PS: Excuse eventual grammar mistakes, I am not a native English speaker.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Instructor

how does your car even start in that temperature? lol you got a engine block heater?
this car starts in wutever temperature lol, if my prelude was parked out side for more than a few hours and it was plugged in and it was -20 celcius, it wouldnt start. I would park the TSX at school for upwards to the entire day, from 10am to 7pm, no plug ins at the school so it renders my block heater useless, but the car starts like a charm, no over cranking, nothing, just a normal start
Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Burning Brakes

passenger can charger there phone at the same time power outlit in the front, and one in the glove box :-P.. How many people you want charging there phone at once? cause everyone cause use the one in the glove box one at a time, and you can close the glove box and still have the phone outside of it, with it plugged in they left a pretty gap for that.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 PM
2010 TSX V6 Tech

Lexus IS250 Bluetooth and Nav comparison

I used to own a 2004 TL, which I replaced in 2007 with a Lexus IS250 AWD. Now that my lease on the Lexus is up, I am considering going back to Acura and getting a 2010 TSX. The Bluetooth interface was one of the very few big disappointments in my old TL, and quite ironically, I came across this post while searching Google for reviews of the TSX Bluetooth interface to see if it would be any better. However, having driven a comparably equipped IS and TL for several years each puts me in good position to add a few points to this debate:

1.) The Lexus Bluetooth interface stinks even more than my old TL's did. Like the TL one, it was good for the first few months, and then it became harder and harder for people on the other line to hear me. I am starting to believe this is a universal problem with Bluetooth interfaces on cars, so if anything, maybe we should yell at the whole industry for not correcting this and not yell at one TSX.
2.) The Lexus navigation has a few advantages over the Acura nav, but many disadvantages. When searching for points of interest, it does show the nearest places first without going through more menus. It also has nicer display graphics, and has a better route detour system that allows you to choose to detour for only 5 or 10 miles of a route rather than for a whole route. But in many important ways, it is inferior to the Acura navigation. The Acura nav updated arrival time on the fly based on your current or average speed. The Lexus one does not (just assumes you always go 55MPH on the highway). The Acura nav almost always gave me ample warning before a turn. The Lexus one does not. The Acura nav almost always picked the shortest and fastest routes. The Lexus one often does not, and I find myself scratching my head after arriving at a place and realizing I could've gotten there 15 minutes faster if I had used a map.
3.) The climate control in the Lexus also has quirks that would be sure to annoy our original poster. For example, when you put it on, the first thing it does is blast the fan to the highest level, and then you have to hit two buttons to get through the touch screen menus and reduce it to level that doesn't blow your face away. It also has a habit of blowing air sideways even when the vents are pointed straight, such that it occasionally fogs up the side windows.

The point of me sharing all of this is to point out that no car is perfect, and that my TL and IS each have had quirks that bug me in different ways. But I've come to accept the fact that unless I can afford to spend 100 grand on a car, such issues will always exist and that these cars are far superior than the alternatives in their class/price range.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Instructor

passenger can charger there phone at the same time power outlit in the front, and one in the glove box :-P.. How many people you want charging there phone at once? cause everyone cause use the one in the glove box one at a time, and you can close the glove box and still have the phone outside of it, with it plugged in they left a pretty gap for that.
we have one in the glovebox?? i did not know that, lemme go check
Old 03-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Instructor

nvm just checked, must just be in the euro accord.. got nothing but a nifty shelf in the glove box lol
Old 03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by silvercu3
i suspect the original post was actually intended to elicit aggressive responses.

1. Select a product
2. Join an enthusiast's forum
3. Post a single, inflammatory message
4. Watch as genuine members defend 'their' product

it's just a game
+1
Old 03-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

lol i'm in maryland. not europe
Old 03-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonnie5
nvm just checked, must just be in the euro accord.. got nothing but a nifty shelf in the glove box lol
Mine is in the armrest in the center console.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

oh i get it, lol I didn't mean glove box I meant arm rest, yeah. Thats my fault I apologize
Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

wow...I've owned this car for 19 months, and put 41,000 miles on it, and I dont have ANY of these complaints. This is by far the best car I've owned, and I am coming from an Audi A6 (pure junk) and a G35!!

Acura wins hands down!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

1. I am the real customer who held his mouth shut for a long time, but after driving to a mall in upstate this weekend and for 2 house suffering in the car with my wife, because of the STUPID climate control (the only comfortable position that I found is to Shut It OFF for 15 minutes and they start again for a while.), I went here, registered and wrote my review. Everything that I wrote is UnFixable, and this is only for potential customers to see.

2. For those who gave me an advise to Sell It. I would be HAPPY to sell it, but I Leased it and for 3 fuc..ing years.

3. For those who asked me what I drove before. I drove: Dodge Intrepid, WV Passat, Nissan Maxima 2001, Maxima 2007. Never had any problem with climate control in any of those car. I am very stupid that I did not go with a new maxima, I want it to go to a Luxury level car, and try how is that.. And here you go. Now all I can do is sitting here and beac..ing about it.

4. For those who asked "if I know how to use a climate contro". - Yes I do. I went to a 2 different dealers 4 times, and they "happily" showed me. That did not change anything. When the car is taking the whole control over the climate control and you Disagree with it, what are you going to do? there is no manual override.

and may be my car is defective, but I did took it to a dealer 4 times, spent almost entire day per visit, that is total of 4 days and they did not help me. What else do you want me to do? I am 30 years old guy who wants to Cry because i am stuck with a problem that I can't even proof and everybody thing that I am crazy. Do you think it's pleasant to explain to a dealer that "I'm not stupid, the car is blowing cold air", and he is saying that the computer is saying that everything is ok. What world are we living in if we trust the computer over human bin?
Just get out of your lease and move on

http://www.swapalease.com/ or http://www.leasetrader.com/

Cars are very complex machines and are not perfect.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Cruisin'

Also, I really don't get your climate control issues. Manual mode is easy. Crank the fan speed up, change the mode to whatever vent position you want, and whala! Mine blows very hard out of the dash vents...all of them. However, I will say that I use "auto" mode most of the time. It works perfectly. The only time I really use manual mode, is when it is very hot....95+. With very cold temps...the "auto" mode is what should be used. Set the temp, and don't touch anything else.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Cruisin'

Also, I really don't get your climate control issues. Manual mode is easy. Crank the fan speed up, change the mode to whatever vent position you want, and whala! Mine blows very hard out of the dash vents...all of them. However, I will say that I use "auto" mode most of the time. It works perfectly. The only time I really use manual mode, is when it is very hot....95+. With very cold temps...the "auto" mode is what should be used. Set the temp, and don't touch anything else.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Advanced

The TSX is not a peace of crap. This guy is complaining like a spoiled little child. I love my tsx and if anything no other car is nearly as perfect as an Acura! Every car you buy
is going to have a problem sooner or later! they don't built them the way they used to
or shall I say use good quality parts. Now a day's everything in our car is recycled material and plastic! It's to keep the costs down when manufacturing and mass producing cars. Now with technology advancing and more electronic and computer gadgets are in are vehicles there are bound to be more problems. All I can say is enjoy the car and its under warranty. Just bring it in when there's a problem and let Acura take care of it! If you don't like the car well trade it in or go get a different brand! No sense complaining on here! More power to the people on here who own Acura's because we love our cars no matter what!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Originally Posted by 007Acura
Just get out of your lease and move on

http://www.swapalease.com/ or http://www.leasetrader.com/

Cars are very complex machines and are not perfect.
Honda/Acura Financial WILL NOT let you swap the lease.. I mean you can BUT your name will be on it and if they dont pay it will affect your credit so noone would do that..
Old 04-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't own a 2nd gen, but I do like complete control over my climate control system. He has SOME valid complaints. Sometimes I like air blowing on my face at a certain velocity even if the cabin is at the right temperature. I don't agree with it changing the fan speed automatically even if you override it manually... I like the 1st gen TSX climate control very much. And yes, I ONLY turn on AC when I want it on - I don't agree with this "AUTO=AC ON" crap.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
LOL, the OP has 2 posts within 2 days and is never heard from again....
Old 07-24-2010, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

Thank twice befor buying an Acura!

I would never buy another acura. I bought a 2004 and only got 70,000 miles out of it befor it needed a new short block. I changed the oil every 5,000 miles and used full syn. oil it is going to cost $8,000 to fix my car! there is a defect in the short block from the factory, so Acura said they would be glad to pay 50% of the cost. I gess thats nice because they dont have to do anything for me sence the cars warranty is up. I had taken it to the dealer @ 60,000 miles and spent $800 for them to tell me the car was ok and @ this time my car was under the extended warranty that I paid $1200 but Acura told me my car was fine then it went from 3qts of oil every 5000 miles to 1.5qts every 600 miles once again there was nothing I could have done or not done except for not buying an Acura. So yes Acura is peace of crap! I'm tired of explaining this just beware your Acura and or Acura dealer is not what you thank it is.

Quick Reply: Acura TSX is the worst car that ever had - Review