Acura TSX rear end collision

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Acura TSX rear end collision

Hi All,

I have a Second Gen 2010 Acura TSX 4 Cyl with Tech Package. It has about 6 months of warranty left. I always take great care of the car. Unfortunately I was rear ended at about 20 miles per hour, and the at fault party assumed the liability.

The third party was insured with State Farm, I dropped my car at a Acura certified body shop for repair, and while dropping my car I noticed that the Glove box latch was broken. I am sure it has to be as a result of the impact (my theories are 1. The manuals and the items would have pushed out while the collision or 2. The front passenger would have pressed against the latch for support during collision) and I told the Insurance the same. Now they wont agree for that, and say only one side of the latch is broken and it was not a direct result of the accident and wont cover that damage.

For no fault of mine, I got an accident history on car along with the expense to fix the broken latch.

Any help / advice to get this resolved will be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
If it was not caused by accident as they claim......then it must have failed on its own and should be covered under warranty.

Must be one or the other .....
The following users liked this post:
pidugu (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:29 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
If a failed glove box latch is the most severe issue you find after the repair is completed then consider yourself very lucky.

Get an independent appraiser to evaluate your car and submit a diminished value claim to State Farm.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
pidugu (12-06-2013), s40 driver (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
ahh.. that diminished value shit.. i hate it.. even when things are not your fault.. you take the hit in the value of the car.. sucks.. been through that
pidugu (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
If a failed glove box latch is the most severe issue you find after the repair is completed then consider yourself very lucky.

Get an independent appraiser to evaluate your car and submit a diminished value claim to State Farm.

this times 1000000000000
pidugu (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 11:45 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ceb

Thank you. Actually I have not received the car yet from the body shop. Will get on Monday. I saw the glove box latch on the day I was taking my car to the collision center and reported it to the shop on the day they sent me an estimate, and again checked this week. That is when State Farm said they would not cover.

Could you please tell me if I have to do a detailed inspection and ask the repair shop to go over with me about the repairs on the day I take the delivery of the car.

Also regarding the diminished value claim, I have seen people using dvasess .com, or should I take the independent assessment from a mechanic ? The repair estimate as of now is 6k+, based on this what would be the rough dv claim amount.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by robpp
If it was not caused by accident as they claim......then it must have failed on its own and should be covered under warranty.

Must be one or the other .....
I'll take it to the dealership after I get the delivery and see if that is covered in the warranty.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:18 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by pidugu
Thank you. Actually I have not received the car yet from the body shop. Will get on Monday. I saw the glove box latch on the day I was taking my car to the collision center and reported it to the shop on the day they sent me an estimate, and again checked this week. That is when State Farm said they would not cover.

Could you please tell me if I have to do a detailed inspection and ask the repair shop to go over with me about the repairs on the day I take the delivery of the car.

Also regarding the diminished value claim, I have seen people using dvasess .com, or should I take the independent assessment from a mechanic ? The repair estimate as of now is 6k+, based on this what would be the rough dv claim amount.
You'll want to schedule about two hours for the pick up and ask them to have a bay available. Check for consistent body gaps, paint match (color and finish/texture) and overspray.

Pop the hood and check for dirt and overspray (many bodyshops will leave the hood open during repairs ) and check the interior for marks on the upholstery and steering wheel.

They should have done a 4 wheel alignment, so make sure that you get a copy of the printout.

You didn't say where you are but you need a certified appraiser. They will determine the value of your car on the day before the accident and the current (post repair) value.

They will also show you where the repair shop cut corners and improperly performed repairs. You can then take that report back to the bodyshop for correction.

The diminished value depends on the extent of the damage and how well it was repaired.
pidugu (12-09-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
The broken latch will be the least of your worries after being rear ended at 20 mph!
pidugu (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 01:17 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ceb
You'll want to schedule about two hours for the pick up and ask them to have a bay available. Check for consistent body gaps, paint match (color and finish/texture) and overspray.

Pop the hood and check for dirt and overspray (many bodyshops will leave the hood open during repairs ) and check the interior for marks on the upholstery and steering wheel.

They should have done a 4 wheel alignment, so make sure that you get a copy of the printout.

You didn't say where you are but you need a certified appraiser. They will determine the value of your car on the day before the accident and the current (post repair) value.

They will also show you where the repair shop cut corners and improperly performed repairs. You can then take that report back to the bodyshop for correction.

The diminished value depends on the extent of the damage and how well it was repaired.
Thanks ceb for the detailed tips. I am in Portland, Ore. I'll go with an in person certified appraiser.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:19 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JTRADAR61
The broken latch will be the least of your worries after being rear ended at 20 mph!
Can you be more specific ? Do you think 20 mph rear end collision is a big one which does some structural damage to the car ?