Acura ILX to possibly replace the TSX in 2012 :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Still not a fan of the exterior. Interior is definitely very nice for its class. 201hp engine paired to 6 spd manual sounds fun to drive on a smaller platform like this.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
honestly, i'm less enthused about it now that i see the production model. i do like the interior though...
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
Looking at a production model

This is supposed to be an alternative to a 3 series/a4/c300/is/ats?

Nice camry-esque headlights tho LOL
Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts
ya it looks boring now....

it does remind me of a camry sporting an acura grill

i still cant see the exhaust

mrstak, time to go back to a 12' TSX
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

yep...now i'm like 75% leaning towards another tsx and 25% on waiting for the ilx...i think another reason i'm so heavy on the tsx is cuz the ilx is gonna take forever to get here...and i'm wary about being one of the "first" to get the car...i'm not going to want to continuously go to the dealer for tsb fixes and shit.

GIMME THE ILX INTERIOR AND TECH ON A TSX EXTERIOR PLEASE!!! defcon! that's your new project!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM
You see me, I CU2

Received 358 Likes on 284 Posts
the c pillar kink + trunk lid...IS SO MAZDA 3

as I have stated before....sigh*
Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...ilx/index.html

They confirmed exactly what i thought the 2.0 liter engine was. It's the bored out Civic engine which is in the JDM CR-V. The R20 which has 10 more hp and 12tq than the R18 in the Civic.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

no memory seating...le sigh
Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. NC

This is supposed to be an alternative to a 3 series/a4/c300/is/ats?
Acura has never stated or implied this about this car. In fact I'm not sure they ever stated it about the TSX but many on these boards like to think of the TSX that way. This is definately an entry level car, even with cloth seats. This is really an example of what Acura states is 'smart luxury.' I'm just concerned the powerplants are under powered. If they had waited to introduce this car with the Earth Dreams engines it would have been better. Maybe at the MMC they will get new engines.

I like the exterior and interior styling. I think they got that part right. It's the out dated power plants that is the problem. The price point needs to be right or this car will not sell well.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstak
honestly, i'm less enthused about it now that i see the production model. i do like the interior though...
r u sure ILX interior is better design and spacious than TSX?. ILX is not a car worth spending time when you compare it with Japanese built TSX.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
The direction Acura is going is interesting. Honda is still using its reputation for reliability to keep pushing on. They had a hard year last year among the other big 3 japanese manufacturers. I'm sure when they get back on their feet things will change. They are pushing towards direct-injection which is behind the game, but then again some manufacturers are having probs with carbon buildup. Anywho regardless of how we enthusiast feel about the ILX i'm sure it'll sell. I'm guessing pretty well like that. I love entry-level vehicles, plus you can't beat the value you get with Acuras anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I like! But I think I prefer the size of the TSX...
Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
r u sure ILX interior is better design and spacious than TSX?. ILX is not a car worth spending time when you compare it with Japanese built TSX.

honestly when i was looking at the interior pics of the ilx...i forgot how the interior of the tsx looked. it's been too long i do like how even with the tech package, you still have that flap that opens at the bottom for storage. i gotta go look at tsx pics again...refresh my memory of my beloved
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Drifting

TSX interior seems more refined and elegant over the ILX.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the way Acura is going I am thinking of switching brands
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Drifting

money shot
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by the_razor
the way Acura is going I am thinking of switching brands
just get a 11-12 TSX.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
so sad. If they had put the TSX interior into the ILX concept exterior, it'd be a better car.

The engine choices are the real let down in the ILX though.

I'd recommend people buy the is250 over the ILX any day....unless the ILX starting price is below $20,000

Only future Acura I'm getting will be the NSX. Hope they don't botch that one up!

Acura ILX to possibly replace the TSX in 2012 :(-bvmni.jpg
Acura ILX to possibly replace the TSX in 2012 :(-uezm3.jpg

p.s. wtf their hybrid model is the only one without push button start?!

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 02-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Acura has never stated or implied this about this car. In fact I'm not sure they ever stated it about the TSX but many on these boards like to think of the TSX that way. This is definately an entry level car, even with cloth seats. This is really an example of what Acura states is 'smart luxury.' I'm just concerned the powerplants are under powered. If they had waited to introduce this car with the Earth Dreams engines it would have been better. Maybe at the MMC they will get new engines.

I like the exterior and interior styling. I think they got that part right. It's the out dated power plants that is the problem. The price point needs to be right or this car will not sell well.

my thoughts exactly...
and no one is going to cross shop the ilx with cars like the A4, 3 series, C class, Lexus IS...more like the buick verano, A3 and base volvo...if you guys are going to hate on the car at least be alittle bit more realistic on the comparisons...

Last edited by iVtecOften; 02-08-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
thing is, you can buy this...or you can a v6 accord...i think the choice is quite clear. The problem is honda, unlike every auto manufacturer, doesn't distinguish between the two brands in terms of pinache, appeal, cache or whatever you wanna call it. There is a reason why you buy a passat or cc over a a4...a g25 over a nissan maxima or loaded altima...an IS over a camry...honda should've never brought the acura brand to life.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
http://jalopnik.com/5883381/acura-il...-a-newish-nose
Old 02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
thing is, you can buy this...or you can a v6 accord...i think the choice is quite clear. The problem is honda, unlike every auto manufacturer, doesn't distinguish between the two brands in terms of pinache, appeal, cache or whatever you wanna call it. There is a reason why you buy a passat or cc over a a4...a g25 over a nissan maxima or loaded altima...an IS over a camry...honda should've never brought the acura brand to life.
You're an idiot to think that...or too young to remember any history about the American automotive industry.

Honda brought the Acura brand to life because it was the first luxury brand to enter the USA. If it wasn't for Acura, there wouldn't be a Lexus or Infiniti brand at all. Sure, Acura has failed in recent memory, but you can't just say they shouldn't have done a pinnacle moment in history just because you don't like them now. That's like saying your parents shouldn't have brought you into this world because you didn't pass 8th grade.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
so sad. If they had put the TSX interior into the ILX concept exterior, it'd be a better car.

The engine choices are the real let down in the ILX though.

I'd recommend people buy the is250 over the ILX any day....unless the ILX starting price is below $20,000

Only future Acura I'm getting will be the NSX. Hope they don't botch that one up!

p.s. wtf their hybrid model is the only one without push button start?!

why are the interior pics you posted look so much slimmer than the one i posted? is it the camera lens or is this still the concept pictures? its deceiving my eye balls
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Goodbye.

different angle, lens, exposure, flash, controlled stage, etc..

That's the production version, fyi.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Drifting

You're an idiot to think that...or too young to remember any history about the American automotive industry.

Honda brought the Acura brand to life because it was the first luxury brand to enter the USA. If it wasn't for Acura, there wouldn't be a Lexus or Infiniti brand at all. Sure, Acura has failed in recent memory, but you can't just say they shouldn't have done a pinnacle moment in history just because you don't like them now. That's like saying your parents shouldn't have brought you into this world because you didn't pass 8th grade.
Just because they may have left a marker on automotive history, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be discredited for poor strategic planning. Remember, brands like Plymouth, Mercury, and Oldsmobile all had heritage, but because of poor strategic planning they all flopped.

If Acura was introduced in order to foray into luxury, then they should've continued evolving the brand into that direction (like lexus and infiniti). It strikes me as odd that Honda didn't / still doesn't have the confidence to sell the acura brand on a global scale, but rather opts to rebadge its global offerings as acuras in North America.

Because of poor strategic planning, they now have a brand that is somewhere in between luxury and practicality. The brand is ultimately hurting Honda, especially in terms of innovation because they don't want to cannibalize Acura's sales. Think about it like this: if the tsx can sell as an accord in europe and other countries, where the better than the jone's attitude isn't as pervasive, then why wouldn't it sell here? Going back to the innovation argument, think about all the options you get on an acura that you don't find on an accord, but are standard on cars from toyota, kia, hyundai, nissan, etc.

So the point is this: yea, acura may have started a movement, but ultimately, they weren't smart about its progression and so, had they not introduced the brand, I think Honda as a whole would be in a better place. Or, if they were smart about the Acura brand, they could've really shaken things up.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Just because they may have left a marker on automotive history, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be discredited for poor strategic planning. Remember, brands like Plymouth, Mercury, and Oldsmobile all had heritage, but because of poor strategic planning they all flopped.

If Acura was introduced in order to foray into luxury, then they should've continued evolving the brand into that direction (like lexus and infiniti). It strikes me as odd that Honda didn't / still doesn't have the confidence to sell the acura brand on a global scale, but rather opts to rebadge its global offerings as acuras in North America.

Because of poor strategic planning, they now have a brand that is somewhere in between luxury and practicality. The brand is ultimately hurting Honda, especially in terms of innovation because they don't want to cannibalize Acura's sales. Think about it like this: if the tsx can sell as an accord in europe and other countries, where the better than the jone's attitude isn't as pervasive, then why wouldn't it sell here? Going back to the innovation argument, think about all the options you get on an acura that you don't find on an accord, but are standard on cars from toyota, kia, hyundai, nissan, etc.

So the point is this: yea, acura may have started a movement, but ultimately, they weren't smart about its progression and so, had they not introduced the brand, I think Honda as a whole would be in a better place. Or, if they were smart about the Acura brand, they could've really shaken things up.
See, now you're just trying to CYA. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a Merry Christmas. Just take it and move on. Good day.

Last edited by TSXy Luster; 02-08-2012 at 03:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spdandpwr (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Drifting

See, now you're just trying to CYA. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a Merry Christmas. Just take it and move on. Good day.
say what you want, but the truth remains that honda made a boo-boo along the way of developing its "luxury" brand
Old 02-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by defconskylude
why are the interior pics you posted look so much slimmer than the one i posted? is it the camera lens or is this still the concept pictures? its deceiving my eye balls
Look at the difference of the heated seat buttons from the side view picture vs the rear seat picture, looks like a bezel is missing on the side view.

I will admit the rear seat picture looks better, so you have to close your eyes as you get in to keep from getting nauseated, once you are in, it looks better.

The TSX has a much better interior, this car would seem a step backwards after owning a TSX. That said, it is lighter, could handle better with the same 2.4l engine, it may be more fun to drive like the 1st gen TSX.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by defconskylude
there must be some serious distortion going on. Maybe they used a wide-angle lens or something. The second pic looks like crap--distance between the vents is off and the proportions are messed up.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:47 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I really like the cup holders!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM
David_Dude

From what I can see Acura is still going to make money off this car. People here in this country tend to have that "Keeping up with the Joneses" attitude. Buy an acura (affordable luxury) for a few more grand or get a loaded Honda that everyone drives? Hell I'd shoot for the Acura just because it looks better than an accord (US accord). Actually Acura isn't the only brand that doesn't distinguish much between its own brand and its non-luxury brand. Toyota/lexus, Audi/VW etc etc have this same deal. Looking at a distance or driving behind an Audi a4 you wouldn't tell it from an A6 or A8 w/out the badges. Buy a GTI or for a few more grand an A3? See my point?

Acura did flop with the TL this generation, but I doubt they lost much money off of it. Now selling the euro accord as a TSX over here was actually a good idea, since Acura isn't global yet. Save money on platform/costs/development etc. Like I said people tend to buy the better things if they can afford it, plus the pricing of the TSX makes it a great buy. Sure I could get an Accord with the V6 but the TSX just looks so much better. I know going to hotrod anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Drifting

This distinction between audi/vw as brands is much greater than acura/honda...and honda doesn't haven't any intention of changing that apparently
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if this is a repost but according to this one source no, the ILX will not be replacing the TSX...

"The 2013 ILX will be manufactured at Honda's Greensburg, Ind., plant. With the ILX, Acura looks to attract first-time luxury buyers to the brand, and it seems like the car will be priced appropriately. Acura says the compact will be priced "well below $30,000" and will not replace the TSX, which currently starts just south of $30,000."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...8,0,7773.story

(Edit: Didn't see TSX69's post on page 3, but this article did come out today)

Last edited by SubtleWordplay; 02-08-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Plus round gas cap... I see Mazda3 as well! Mazda did it first and did it better IMHO.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by SubtleWordplay
Not sure if this is a repost but according to this one source no, the ILX will not be replacing the TSX...

"The 2013 ILX will be manufactured at Honda's Greensburg, Ind., plant. With the ILX, Acura looks to attract first-time luxury buyers to the brand, and it seems like the car will be priced appropriately. Acura says the compact will be priced "well below $30,000" and will not replace the TSX, which currently starts just south of $30,000."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...8,0,7773.story

(Edit: Didn't see TSX69's post on page 3, but this article did come out today)
Does anyone know if the ILX will come with HIDs standard, considering its lower price range? HIDs alone is a great selling point in its own. Many still associate HID (factory) lighting with luxury or in this case entry-level luxo.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Yes it probably has HIDs standard.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I prefer my centerstack as well. I'm a fan of cornucopias of buttons.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
With the pictures above in this thread, I definitely noticed this too. my ex has a 2010 mazda 3, which i am pretty familiar with. Though, I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a bunch of different cars in different parts of it.

Last edited by opboarding; 02-09-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
The interior is disappointing. It looks like something bewteen the Civic and TSX, which I guess shouldn't be surprising, but IMO it should be closer to the TSX. It's not terrible though, and if it's well built -- i.e., no squeaks/rattles -- I could live with it.

I'm sure I'd like the 2.4/6MT combo too, but I can't fathom why Acura thinks the base 150 hp motor is sufficient for an "entry luxury" car. I doubt many prospective buyers will be so enamored of the Acura brand that they'll overlook this.

Quick Reply: Acura ILX to possibly replace the TSX in 2012 :(