4500 mile 5 months short review

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4500 mile 5 months short review

Overall I love the car, looks great, has just enough power for normal driving. Here are three things that I don't like, I need to have checked out.

1) Engine pinging @ 2500 rpm (higher octane gas don't change it)

2) Slight shimmy up front when accelerating from a stop from 1st to 2nd gear (hopefully a tire rotation will help, trying to be optimistic here)

3) Just started feeling the brake petal pulsate slightly as if the front rotors are already warped. I only drive this car on Saturday and Sunday and never slam the brakes on.

I don't think Honda ever uses quality brake rotors, I have had 3 Hondas and all of them had very thin rotors, I was hoping the TSX would have better brakes. Maybe I'm not the only one with these issues, comment on here if you do. I already know most have the pinging issue.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Racer

I have about the same issues, and then some which I've already said before. I have about 4000 mi and 8 months.

1) Engine pinging
2) No noticeable shimmy, but definitely not as smooth as when it was new.
3) Brake pulses very slightly, same as the tires...not too noticeable but not as smooth as even 1000 mi ago. Brakes just started to squeal last week.
4) Replaced sunroof glass panel for a defective seal.
5) Replaced 5 speakers
Old 07-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Advanced

I had to have the front door speakers replaced within the first week. I wonder if I have a defective seal on my sunroof also. It looks like the seal sits a little lower than the top of the roof. katmai, did you have a water leak or anything that made you realize this?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Advanced

What do you mean about the "shimmy"? Can you describe it?

I have the pinging too

No problem with the speakers or sunroof yet. Potential very slight brake pulsing, but it could just be bumps on the road (very bumpy roads) that are a lot more noticeable while braking.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RPJ28
I had to have the front door speakers replaced within the first week. I wonder if I have a defective seal on my sunroof also. It looks like the seal sits a little lower than the top of the roof. katmai, did you have a water leak or anything that made you realize this?
It did leak into the gutter, but that was because the glass was sitting too far forward in the opening. The rear didn't seal well because there wasn't enough pressure. The front seal was getting a little squashed.

The seal was bad because a 4 inch length of the front seal was bulging up about a half inch one day. If you tilted the glass, it would also crease the rubber like it was folded. If the seal is not flat all the way around with the top edge of the glass...if there are uneven bulges anywhere in it, then its defective. The front seal should not crease when the panel is tilted either. If ti does then its bonded wrong and there is nothing you can do to fix it. It can be hidden temporarily with some spray they have and a little pressure, but the unevenness will eventually pop back. The rubber is bonded to the glass and metal structure, so the only fix is a complete panel replacement.

When they put the new panel in, it was centered a lot better. Any leaks I had are non-existent now. Gutters stay clean. It still sits slightly low in the roof, but looking at the adjustment screws, the panel is maxed out so there isn't anything more I can do.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Summer
What do you mean about the "shimmy"? Can you describe it?

I have the pinging too

No problem with the speakers or sunroof yet. Potential very slight brake pulsing, but it could just be bumps on the road (very bumpy roads) that are a lot more noticeable while braking.
Ok, the shimmy is gone for now, I took mine in for service and had them rotate the tires, it helped.

I also told them that sometimes my gas door will not open and my drivers side door I can't get into sometimes!!!! They could not get these things to happen, and I swear today, I couldn't get my drivers side door open
Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09TSXCC
I also told them that sometimes my gas door will not open
Isn't that one of the service bulletins? Something about a peg or something that was too big and making it stick some times? If they haven't replaced yours yet, maybe you should ask them about it.

Bummer that they're being unhelpful

I'm wondering about the "shimmy" - sometimes when I'm accelerating from a stop, the car/steering kind of "wiggles" a little from side to side. Is that what you mean? If so, I'll ask them to rotate tires for me next time I'm in - I only have 1k miles on it, but I guess you never know!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Summer
Isn't that one of the service bulletins? Something about a peg or something that was too big and making it stick some times? If they haven't replaced yours yet, maybe you should ask them about it.

Bummer that they're being unhelpful

I'm wondering about the "shimmy" - sometimes when I'm accelerating from a stop, the car/steering kind of "wiggles" a little from side to side. Is that what you mean? If so, I'll ask them to rotate tires for me next time I'm in - I only have 1k miles on it, but I guess you never know!
Not really that much in the wheel, more in the floor, but it did help. I haven't mentioned about the door handle yet, but I will next time. I didn't know a tsb was out on this, anyone know the tsb for the door handle not opening?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09TSXCC
Not really that much in the wheel, more in the floor, but it did help. I haven't mentioned about the door handle yet, but I will next time. I didn't know a tsb was out on this, anyone know the tsb for the door handle not opening?
Not sure about the car door, but here's info on the gas door:
https://acurazine.com/forums/tsx-frequently-asked-questions-125/faq-tsbs-recalls-known-issues-660403/ (that's the thread with the TSBs)

it links to here: http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B08-025.pdf (pdf version of the actual bulletin)
Old 08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Sorry if I sound like a moron but what exactly do you mean by engine pinging? How would I know what that sounds like? Can it lead to future problems? I'm starting to feel like I hear some type of noise between 2500 and 3000 rpms. Thanks....
Old 08-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Advanced

nevermind...the search button helps....
Old 08-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Forced Induction

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with you these points

2) Slight shimmy up front when accelerating from a stop from 1st to 2nd gear (hopefully a tire rotation will help, trying to be optimistic here)

3) Just started feeling the brake petal pulsate slightly as if the front rotors are already warped. I only drive this car on Saturday and Sunday and never slam the brakes on.

I was shocked when my rotors were causing vibrations. I took the car from NYC to ATL, and when I was going over 80MPH I noticed that the tires were vibrating. So it deffinantly needs to have a wheel balance and new rotors. I was pissed cause the car has 8k miles, only driven on weekends.