2nd gen test drive review

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gen test drive review

I had a break between class and patient visits today (someone canceled on me) so I took a little trip to my Acura dealer and test drove the new TSX. Overall I like the car, but not enough to drop $30000 on a new car I really don't need.

Exterior:
With my first in person walk around I realized pictures do not really do it justice. In person everything comes together very well and it just fits well. The only complaint I have is "the element" but we all know that can be changed. Also the honey comb is ugly, but the A-spec trim deleted that in the lower grills. The car does look bigger, especially with the rounded front end, but it still seemed to look like a small car. The TL still looks bigger, and who knows the TL will most likely grow in size too. The wheels are also an eye sore, and to think i am actually a fan of 5 spoke wheels.

Interior:
I also really like it. When i first saw that the TSX was going to share the same interior of euro accord, but Honda did a great job so why do it over again. It is bigger but it seems smaller because it wraps around the driver and passenger so nicely. It would take some getting use to look up high and so far away to look at the nav screen/general info display. The steering wheel was thick and nice, but I do miss the perforated leather, and if I was buying I would add the sport wheel. The pedal layout for the manual is better, it's easier to do some heel toe braking then the current model (which is awesome because I find the current model easy as pie too). Seats are an upgrade and the back seat still is very comfortable for two full size adults. The location of controls was well though up, in terms of the locks, and sunroof controls. The smaller A pillars are noticeable and helps reduce that blind spot.

Driving:
Here I am not to impressed. The highlights is the clutch feel, way softer then my 04. After my test drive I jumped back in my car and the clucth felt very firm, almost too firm. The steering was not as responsive, it wasn't bad but after a little driving I would get use to it and maybe be able to cue in on a little less feedback. Torque felt a little better but not a huge improvement like Acura is claiming. I didn't wind the hell out of it in respect of the future owner because it wasn't gonna be me. handling wise it did feel solid, not as good as my Tein H-techs but an improvement on the stock. The back end felt very solid throwing it around corners. Power was good, but mostly overall the biggest thing that impressed me was how quiet it was. It was way quiet and even with the sunroof open it was still really quiet. When looking for a luxury car, that is one thing people look for and Acura did a good job with it.

so like I said I will not replace my 04 just yet, I want to get done with school first (next year) and start my practice. Hopefully by then if I want a new car there might be a type s or some good aftermarket support like what we have for the first gen. I do not think this model will flop with Acura, I think they will bring in some new buyers looking for the newer styles of cars. I remember when the 04s first came out they kinda hit the market luke warm and look at how popular they got. So Acura has a little more work to do on this car but its a good start.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agreed on your points. i just wrote a review like yours last weekend
Old 05-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the writeup, man. Pretty good first post!