2G TSX more HP/Tq available with bolt ons the 1G TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2G TSX more HP/Tq available with bolt ons the 1G TSX?

I have a 04 TSX and looking at how much power you can add with bolt ons is impressive but compared to the 2g TSX, it seems like there is a lot more power that can be unleashed. It seems like Honda did not wind out as much power from the newer powerplant as compared to the older 1G powerplants. Loot at the Takeda intake for the 2G compared to any intake available for the 1G, the gains are a lot higher on the 2G. I know the newer CT-engineering supercharger is still not ready but already it looks like it will make 300ish Hp. Compared that to the supercharger for the 1G TSX that only boost HP about 50.

Overall it makes me wonder if Honda didn't wind out the 2G TSX engine on purpose. Maybe in the future they will with some sport option either Type-S or maybe a SH-AWD (i know I'm dreaming). Do I have a point or am I just looking too much into it? What do you guys think?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
Nice observation, but honestly a SH-AWD TSX will likely not happen. If anything, it probably will only be available with the wagon. Type-S would be awesome, but I have no idea how likely that would be either.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Low is a Lifestyle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what i hear it is supposed to be coming out the tsx wagon.
anywho...
i think the second gen does have more hp off the bat stock for stock
but it is a heavier car. not sure by how much though.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:57 PM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by shmork53
It seems like Honda did not wind out as much power from the newer powerplant as compared to the older 1G powerplants.
I think you meant the opposite here, right? It's a natural progression to increase horsepower on subsequent models or minor year changes in order to attract new buyers. Look at the amount of power gleaned from the new 3.7 liter versus the VQ35 Nissan V6, coming from the VG30DE, etc. They're making the same power naturally aspirated with a 3.7 that they used to make with a twin turbo 3.0. (Granted the turbo can be tweaked from here to eternity, but I'm just talking stock vs stock.)

Originally Posted by shmork53
<snip> I know the newer CT-engineering supercharger is still not ready but already it looks like it will make 300ish Hp. Compared that to the supercharger for the 1G TSX that only boost HP about 50.
IMHO, in part, the increase from 1g to 2g HP output can be attributed to superior tuning now available from a reflashed ECU. On the 1g cars, state of the art technology back then comprised of a Fuel Management Unit for fuel enrichment, an Electronic Signal Modifier to trick the ECU out of reading boost in a programmed vacuum-only environment, and no way to easily change the spark mapping without stand-alone or piggyback whizbang boxes.

A reflash makes huge leaps in tuning ability, and now we have it available in a reflash as opposed to a bunch of band-aid 'tricks'.

Personally, I'd *love* to see an AWD 2.3 turbo 6MT as a Type S for this car. From those in the know, it aint happening.

How cool would it be to hang with or edge out a winged & scooped STI or Evo in a midsize luxury sedan that doesn't make you look/feel like an overgrown kid?

Gawd, I'm being a post whore, somebody shut me up.

Last edited by HeavyDuty; 12-02-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Racer

Sorry, I do not think I made myself clear Heavy. The original K24 was tuned by Honda to about the maximum they could. with the newer 2g engine it seems like Honda didn't do a full factory tune, seeing how much extra power is available from bolt ons.

I do agree the 2G engine is more advanced, has more power then the 1G, and there are greater advances in tuning. I have just noticed it seems easier to get more power (above stock) from the 2G engine compared to the 1G engine. Its like the 2G is more restrictive stock then the 1G. This is all speculation, I am no expert and have only driven a 2G a few times. All my info is coming from this forum so take it as is with no facts behind it, just 3rd party observations.

I would love to see the 2.3 turbo AWD in a TSX. I think as the STI and EVO kids grow up there will be a huge market for a car like this. Now we only need to convince Honda...
Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Instructor

I've read that the cam on 2G is not an aggressive type compare to 06-08 1G. (I'm not 100% sure if it's true or not. I didn't dig deep on this). So, I guess maybe for mid cycle change Honda will do something about it...

For blot ons, do you mean I/H/E? The engine on 2G has a different shape of header. It makes me a little bit doubt that if there'll be any aftermarket header for 2G.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Honda also tuned it to have more mid-range torque, I mean when my friend drove both my cars, he said that when he floored my 2G, it felt that "pull" and felt it accelerate faster (most likely the mid range torque), compared to the 1G, where it took a while to get the power at high end.

Also as for the intake manifold, I don't know if this actually makes a difference but the 2Gs is plastic. Also, we have 2 cats on our 2Gs while the 1G has one.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a feeling Honda would have tested the RDX motor in the TSX and it probably didnt perform as well as the V6. The RDX motor in the TSX would have had Turbo lag and about the same gas mileage as the V6 so why bother.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by human668
I've read that the cam on 2G is not an aggressive type compare to 06-08 1G. (I'm not 100% sure if it's true or not. I didn't dig deep on this). So, I guess maybe for mid cycle change Honda will do something about it...

For blot ons, do you mean I/H/E? The engine on 2G has a different shape of header. It makes me a little bit doubt that if there'll be any aftermarket header for 2G.
I had a 1g loaner for a couple of weeks and although I don't remember a pronounced lack of torque mid-range with nothing else to compare it to, I did remember a more pronounced VTEC transition that was just like sex. (When it got *really good*, it was over immediately, like 6700-7000rpm.)

Our cylinder heads have an exhaust...bung or port, no separate exhaust ports with which to bolt a header to.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttk5
Nice observation, but honestly a SH-AWD TSX will likely not happen. If anything, it probably will only be available with the wagon. Type-S would be awesome, but I have no idea how likely that would be either.
There is a Type S in the UK. It's a diesel and comes with 18" wheels, bodykit, and clear front indicator lenses. It's available as a Tourer, too.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/accordsaloon/

The same car, but fitted with a 2.4 petrol motor, is only available to the German market as a limited edition.

http://www.honda.de/content/news/17506_51311.html

I'm surprised that Acura aren't selling an equivalent model where you are
Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
TSX's come standard with the 2.4l engine. Pretty much the same as the German Type-S except we dont have red gauge lights, rear bumper, or front bumper lip kit. We do have the wheels but they come on the V6 TSX.