2012 TSX Lighting Glitch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
2012 TSX Lighting Glitch?

I recent turned in my purchased 2010 TSX Tech in order to begin leasing and brought home a 2012 TSX Tech this past weekend. I am really happy so far but have come across what seems to be a minor glitch with some interior lighting features...

If the headlights are set to "AUTO," then the glove box and front floor illumination does not work. If the headlights are set to "ON" or "Park," then the glove box and floor lighting works fine. I brought this to the attention of the dealer today and they had not heard of it. They went out to the lot and confirmed this same scenario on other 2012 TSX vehicles. While fairly minor, it is certainly annoying... I was driving the other night (with my headlights on AUTO) and went to reach for something in the glove box to find it dark inside.

Also, I notice that the navigation guidance now only plays from the front center speaker. On my 2010, music would shift to the back speakers during an announcement to make it easier for the driver to hear the navigation but this is not happening on the new model. After playing around with it and looking in the manual, there is no option to adjust how announcements are played.

On the plus side, I do like some of the changes they have made to the material on the center console and dashboard. It might be my imagination, but the transmission seems to be optimized. Oh, and the HD audio/navigation display is much easier on the eyes.

If anyone has any input or comments, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

Brandon
Old 03-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
Hi Brandon, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on getting the 2012. I came from a 2009 Tech to a 2011 Tech, so I can relate on a few issues.

The lighting issue seems like an oversight from the software designers at Acura. I don't use the AUTO function so I haven't experienced the issue, but I'd be scratching my head too if it happened to me.

Another head-scratcher is the navigating of songs on a USB thumb drive. In the 2009, you could press down on the interface dial to scroll through songs, in addition to turning the dial. This would be helpful in situations where I didn't want to take my eyes off the road. I'd just hold the dial down until it got to the bottom of the list. In the 2012, if I press down, it plays the songs randomly instead. I have to turn the dial a million times to get to the bottom of the list.

I can also confirm the issue with the navigation. It was handled much better in the '09 and '10. When I have my music on, I can't always hear what the navigation is telling me. I haven't been able to find a fix either.

I also liked how voice commands were confirmed in the '09. I haven't been able to figure out how to get this in the '11. In the old days, I'd say "fan speed up" and Ms. Acura would confirm with "fan speed up", or something totally random like "radio on". Now, I say "fan speed up" and I get no confirmation, so it's hard to tell whether the voice command worked.

Not to be a complete grumpy old man... I do like the increased resolution of the screen, and the wallpaper function. If I ignore the navigation warning in the beginning, it'll show my wallpaper. The handsfreelink seems to work a little better as well.

Anyhow, welcome and hope you enjoy the car!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I always have my headlights on auto on my 2011, all interior lights have been working fine for me. Don't know why it would be different on a 12.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
im not sure if this is related or helpful, but in my 10, the blue footlights always stay on, even while driving, though the light is extremely dull. on the 12(we checked on moaarlows car), the footlights are only on when the parking lights are on. i don't know about the '11's
Old 03-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
12 wagon. with headlights on auto and ON in the dark. i DO have a glove box light.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by robpp
12 wagon. with headlights on auto and ON in the dark. i DO have a glove box light.
Me too - '12 wagon. Switch always on auto. I always have the glove box light. Footwell lights are off once the car is started.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
just checked out this issue in my 12 sedan. i had the headlights on, then checked the glove box...light was on. switched it to auto, and checked, glove box was still on. however there was no footwell lighting when the lights were on. i remember seeing the footwell lighting when i didn't have any lights on...kind of bleh about that. i was used to having the footwell lighting even though it was pretty dull.

oh and another thing i noticed. on my 09, when i pressed the talk button on the steering wheel, i could say "call mary" and it'd ask if i wanted to call mary, press the button and say yes to confirm and it'll call. yesterday on the 12 i pressed the talk button and nothing. i had to press the bottom button to get it to take commands. i think they made it so the phone talk/hang up buttons are strictly for picking up and hanging up. all voice commands are now through the bottom button. not a HUGE deal but i guess i was used to the 09 interface and the 12 has a new one...that means i gotta read my manual all over again.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by mrstak
just checked out this issue in my 12 sedan. i had the headlights on, then checked the glove box...light was on. switched it to auto, and checked, glove box was still on. however there was no footwell lighting when the lights were on. i remember seeing the footwell lighting when i didn't have any lights on...kind of bleh about that. i was used to having the footwell lighting even though it was pretty dull.

oh and another thing i noticed. on my 09, when i pressed the talk button on the steering wheel, i could say "call mary" and it'd ask if i wanted to call mary, press the button and say yes to confirm and it'll call. yesterday on the 12 i pressed the talk button and nothing. i had to press the bottom button to get it to take commands. i think they made it so the phone talk/hang up buttons are strictly for picking up and hanging up. all voice commands are now through the bottom button. not a HUGE deal but i guess i was used to the 09 interface and the 12 has a new one...that means i gotta read my manual all over again.
Hmm, on my 11 I press the talk button and tell it to call whoever. Bottom button is only cancel/hangup. Weird they would make these small changes between the 11 and 12.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by opboarding
Hmm, on my 11 I press the talk button and tell it to call whoever. Bottom button is only cancel/hangup. Weird they would make these small changes between the 11 and 12.
He is referring to the bottom voice command button under the bluetooth buttons. It sounds like you do not have the Tech model and thus would just have a two button system, as I had with my previous TSX's. On the Tech model, the Phone/talk button picks up and also activates the voice command system for bluetooth. Operation of the voice system for the tech involves two sets of buttons.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by bdwpac81
I recent turned in my purchased 2010 TSX Tech in order to begin leasing and brought home a 2012 TSX Tech this past weekend. I am really happy so far but have come across what seems to be a minor glitch with some interior lighting features...

If the headlights are set to "AUTO," then the glove box and front floor illumination does not work. If the headlights are set to "ON" or "Park," then the glove box and floor lighting works fine. I brought this to the attention of the dealer today and they had not heard of it. They went out to the lot and confirmed this same scenario on other 2012 TSX vehicles. While fairly minor, it is certainly annoying... I was driving the other night (with my headlights on AUTO) and went to reach for something in the glove box to find it dark inside.

Also, I notice that the navigation guidance now only plays from the front center speaker. On my 2010, music would shift to the back speakers during an announcement to make it easier for the driver to hear the navigation but this is not happening on the new model. After playing around with it and looking in the manual, there is no option to adjust how announcements are played.

On the plus side, I do like some of the changes they have made to the material on the center console and dashboard. It might be my imagination, but the transmission seems to be optimized. Oh, and the HD audio/navigation display is much easier on the eyes.

If anyone has any input or comments, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for reading.

Brandon
My 2012 Tech operates the same way regarding use of the centre speaker for the Navi voice. However, the system does lower the volume of the music and if starting at a reasonable volume, i find the navigation commands to be clear. I also checked the auto setting for the glovebox. My glovebox light is not on when the auto setting is used, however i will try tonight to see if the glovebox light comes on when headlights come on in the auto setting.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very glad to have found this thread. I brought my new 2012 Sport Wagon home on Friday. So far love it except all I have for the interior lighting when I open the door, is the dome close to the cargo area. I had an '06 TL and I know I could set the map lights to go on and off automatically. Right now when I open the door to get something out of the car, I can barely see what I'm doing. Can you please help?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My '12 tech sedan : glove box light on whether headlights are 'on' or auto. I wish the footwell lights would stay on constant.
Your dome lights (map lights) should come one when you open the door if the switch is 'on'. Actually, they come on when you unlock with the fob. Your switch between the lights on the headliner must be in the off position.

Last edited by kwalk; 12-02-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hmm....just checked my 2012 SE. glove box stays on if lights are on auto. the footwells turn on no matter what if the door is open.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kwalk
My '12 tech sedan : glove box light on whether headlights are 'on' or auto. I wish the footwell lights would stay on constant.
Your dome lights (map lights) should come one when you open the door if the switch is 'on'. Actually, they come on when you unlock with the fob. Your switch between the lights on the headliner must be in the off position.
Sorry for the stupidity, but what is the headliner?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:56 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by carteach
Very glad to have found this thread. I brought my new 2012 Sport Wagon home on Friday. So far love it except all I have for the interior lighting when I open the door, is the dome close to the cargo area. I had an '06 TL and I know I could set the map lights to go on and off automatically. Right now when I open the door to get something out of the car, I can barely see what I'm doing. Can you please help?
I don't understand your question. My map lights come on when I open one of the doors - is that your question?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced

Yes, that's exactly my question/ problem. The map lights don't come on when I open the doors. And I don't know how to set the, up so they do.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
there is a SWITCH between the map lights. one position is on with doors open the other is off with doors open.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by robpp
there is a SWITCH between the map lights. one position is on with doors open the other is off with doors open.
Bingo. There is also a third position with always on.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Thanks robpp and Ceb. I kept thinking that that switch was for the sun roof. Duh!
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Bingo. There is also a third position with always on.
Not on the 2012 Model
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JTRADAR61
Not on the 2012 Model
I haven't tried it yet. So it's on when you open the doors and stays on til the headlights fade when you get out, or it's always off?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

maybe you guys can help me out, i recently got a 2012 tsx tech and my navigation seems to be on the day setting when starting the car and it doesnt automatically switch to night mode when its dark out, i have to manually switch it to the night setting. let me know what i have to do to fix this.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bruisecrew7
maybe you guys can help me out, i recently got a 2012 tsx tech and my navigation seems to be on the day setting when starting the car and it doesnt automatically switch to night mode when its dark out, i have to manually switch it to the night setting. let me know what i have to do to fix this.

Thanks
this happened on my 2010 tech, and it was because my brightness was turned on the highest setting. I turned down the brightness to the cluster and screen 1 unit less than the max and it changes from night to day.