2012 TSX 2.4ltr Ktuner help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 TSX 2.4ltr Ktuner help, please!

Hey guys, brand new here. I just got my TSX back in November and with the warm weather starting the mods have begun. After a small amount of experience with Hondata on my 8th gen civic I decided I would try a Ktuner End User Kit for my Acura after doing some reading and research. I really just wanted to start out with a Takeda CAI and a Ktuner unit. My decision was helped by a video I found on youtube of a guy tuning his Accord and getting 2 choices of base maps to begin his tuning with. I believe the 2 choices were 91 octane or greater and stock/91 octane or greater and stock + intake, and then 91 octane + RV6 downpipe + intake.

So after seeing that I wanted to go that route with my TSX. I've read lots of comparisons between Ktuner and Hondata and many people have said that Ktuner is great for simple bolt ons and fuel tuning. I also found a used one being sold locally and unlocked for $400 here in Ontario, Canada....didn't think I had much to lose. I've installed my Takeda intake and it runs and sounds great, love it. However I realized that after I locked my Ktuner to my car that the only base map option I am promted with is: "Tune up for PCD and Exhaust. Improperly sized intakes may throw off fueling. Fuel tuning recomended."
So obviously with the TSX we don't get the user friendly options that the Accord with basically the same engine gets to start with for base maps. Here's where it gets interesting though... I contacted Ktuner support and they told me that the after market intakes for the CU2 TSX are improperly sized and because of that they do not support any base maps or tunes for the car, and have no plans to. Can't help but think that this was a pretty good waste of money despite them listing my car on their site as a supported platform. I also explained all of this to Vit tuned and they have nothing for me either, no support for this platform.

I am sorry if I come off as completely clueless about this stuff because in all honesty I have very little experience here. I am hoping that someone out there has gone through a Ktuner experience with this car and can help me out in any way. This is my first post so I did use the search function first before I bothered with this but I couldn't find anything along the lines of this issue.

Any help or feedback is really appreciate, sorry for the long post but I wanted to be as clear as I could. Thanks guys
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
Generally, there is more of a user base with the Accord so people can share their tunes. KTuner for the TSX is fairly new so there's probably not very many people using it. Vit has done e-tunes for various members here using Hondata Flashpro. I know he's currently using KTuner for the 10G Civic so he should be familiar with it. You'll probably will need to pay him to do an e-tune or pay a local tuner/dyno for a custom tune.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:23 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I don't see the problem, just pay for a tune.. that's why you bought the K-tuner.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

Thanks but from what he told me it's a platform that he just doesn't support
Old 04-13-2017, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
I don't see the problem, just pay for a tune.. that's why you bought the K-tuner.
Ok well where could I go to pay for a tune? That's what I'm really trying to figure out here. Vit and Ktuner had no options for me so would you know of any other online support or should I try my luck locally?
Old 04-13-2017, 12:21 PM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by ShinGouki
Ok well where could I go to pay for a tune? That's what I'm really trying to figure out here. Vit and Ktuner had no options for me so would you know of any other online support or should I try my luck locally?
Can you copy and paste what Vit told you in the email? I'd like to read his response.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Can you copy and paste what Vit told you in the email? I'd like to read his response.
"I don't really do anything with that platform, sorry."

That was all I got back
Old 04-13-2017, 12:59 PM
ROTAREDOM

hmmm... I don't know anyone on this forum using K-tuner. But there is a fb group named CU2 squad. I do know there are members on the group who have used it. They will probably give you the best response. I could have sworn VIT used K-tuiner also... but seems like no.

You can also get a used flashpro for around $600 though, and there are plenty of base maps to use. I would suggest selling the K-tuner, and buying a flashpro instead, and save the money paying someone to tune your car if you're only using an intake.You're gunna end up spending more money if you stick with K-tuner. Honestly the only reason I think people go for K-tuner is because they support V-6..
Old 04-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Intermediate

hmmm... I don't know anyone on this forum using K-tuner. But there is a fb group named CU2 squad. I do know there are members on the group who have used it. They will probably give you the best response. I could have sworn VIT used K-tuiner also... but seems like no.

You can also get a used flashpro for around $600 though, and there are plenty of base maps to use. I would suggest selling the K-tuner, and buying a flashpro instead, and save the money paying someone to tune your car if you're only using an intake.You're gunna end up spending more money if you stick with K-tuner. Honestly the only reason I think people go for K-tuner is because they support V-6..
Ok fair enough, thanks for your time and help
Old 04-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

Vit is using KTuner on the new Civics. Maybe when Vit says platforms, I think he's referring to KTuner + TSX vs Flashpro + TSX. When someone dials him up for a tune on a Flashpro, he could just load up his own base calibration as a baseline or use a different customer's calibrations that has similar modifications. With KTuner, he would probably start from scratch and might be saying he doesn't support it since its not worth the time or effort?

If you cant find a shop that's familiar with KTuner, has a dyno, and has a tuner, you can try calling around the dealers listed on their website to see if they'll do e-tunes. I know of some shops that will also do live remote tuning.

Last edited by thunderbt3; 04-13-2017 at 01:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:54 PM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Vit is using KTuner on the new Civics. Maybe when Vit says platforms, I think he's referring to KTuner + TSX vs Flashpro + TSX. When someone dials him up for a tune on a Flashpro, he could just load up his own base calibration as a baseline or use a different customer's calibrations that has similar modifications. With KTuner, he would probably start from scratch and might be saying he doesn't support it since its not worth the time or effort?

If you cant find a shop that's familiar with KTuner, has a dyno, and has a tuner, you can try calling around the dealers listed on their website to see if they'll do e-tunes. I know of some shops that will also do live remote tuning.
probs
Old 04-13-2017, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thunderbt3

Ok man, well thank you for the input. I'll keep my head up and keep searching. Worse case I guess I'll shop out the Ktuner and put the money towards a Flashpro. I'm fairly certain you're right with the Ktuner+TSX vs Flashpro +TSX idea. Thanks for both of your help