2012 Sportwagon price

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Sportwagon price

Hey guys! I have been looking at cars for almost a year now (I'm crazy lol) and I think I have decided on a TSX sportwagon. I have driven one and love it, and my current car (05 Maxima) is beginning to die on me. I'm located in Buffalo, NY and there is only one Acura dealership in the area. The dealership currently has many 2013 TSX models, but the only sportwagons it has are all 2012 models, all base with $32,xxx msrp. The colors available are red, black, and grey. I read in the forums that these sportwagons are quite rare but I do not think that is the case in Buffalo since the red sportwagon has the same stock number as the one I test drove all the way back in March! And I have been looking at the current inventory on the dealer's website for awhile and the black and red ones must have been there since February or March while the grey model has been on the dealer's website since June at the latest. I went by the dealership today to check them out and they were all there, so I know the stock is up to date.

Anyways, I have decided upon numerous comparisons and test driving 20+ automobiles that this is the car(or wagon) I want!!It seems by reading these forums that it's a great car and recommended by many, so I was wondering about discounts that may be associated with the purchase.

They are all 2012 models, so as of today it is last year's model. They also have three left to sell, and they haven't been going fast. Can I use these to my advantages? I would be paying cash for the car and probably not trading in my other car. I've visited multiple websites and they all haven given my scattered information about what people around the country have paid and what I should pay.

So in conclusion, I'd love to hear what you Acura experts have to say about any discounts I may be able to get! Thanks and I hope to be a part of the TSX family soon!-Chris
Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
It's hard to say exactly since we are in such diverse geographic locations, but I paid $27,700 for a base wagon about 3 weeks ago here in SoCal.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
If you are paying cash (wow), your deal will be as good as your ability to deal. I'm sure they would LOVE to get these cars out of the lot ASAP and will let them go very cheap. Make a ridiculously low offer and stick to that offer. Worst they can say is "no", then you can raise your offer, but the "proper technique" is to not raise it. I have personally never tried this, but I don't have 27K in cash to spend on a car.

Stan
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
Are you SURE the TSX Wagon is right in Buffalo....no 4wd/

Front bumper can be called a plow in anything more than a flurry.

Rear seat room is NOTTA/
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Well if the op has tested 20+ vehicles i would say he's thought things out...though i would think all that snow would be an issue too but its not like his maxima was awd, right.

Id suggest calling a few dealers within 200 miles of your area to see what they have and what they may be willing to offer (go thru internet sales)...then use that quote to get yourself a better deal closer to home...but it may be worth the roadie when all is said and done.

Its a really nice car especially with some of the discounts folks have gotten in the last month or two.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Just another few thoughts.

I have very few complaints about this wagon (2012 w 15k on it now) but a couple minor quibbles is 1) bottles and cups rattle and vibrate in the cup holder, and 2) i wish the seat cushion would angle down more towards the front--tires my legs on 250+ mile trips.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by stan_t
If you are paying cash (wow), your deal will be as good as your ability to deal. I'm sure they would LOVE to get these cars out of the lot ASAP and will let them go very cheap. Make a ridiculously low offer and stick to that offer. Worst they can say is "no", then you can raise your offer, but the "proper technique" is to not raise it. I have personally never tried this, but I don't have 27K in cash to spend on a car.
Paying with cash is not in the buyer's favor. These days, profit from car sales comes from the financing rather than the car itself. The buyer can normally cut a better deal by financing. If one wants to use cash, and the contract allows for a cash buy out and no additional interest or charges within 60-90 days, then do it that way instead of walking into the dealership and announcing that you're paying with cash.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by turning japanese
Paying with cash is not in the buyer's favor. These days, profit from car sales comes from the financing rather than the car itself. The buyer can normally cut a better deal by financing. If one wants to use cash, and the contract allows for a cash buy out and no additional interest or charges within 60-90 days, then do it that way instead of walking into the dealership and announcing that you're paying with cash.
Yeah, my salesman was not happy at all when I told him I was paying in cash. I initially told him I would put X amount down, but decided I didn't want to make any monthly payments since they're annoying. Him and the finance guy tried their damnedest to convince me to finance, touting the 0.9% interest rate. Heh. No thanks. I try to avoid debt whenever I possibly can.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Correct. Dealers hate cash as they want to make money on financing. Never discuss how you're going to pay but just negotiate price.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Correct. Dealers hate cash as they want to make money on financing. Never discuss how you're going to pay but just negotiate price.
That is sound advice.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 AM
10th Gear

I paid $30,780 before tt&l 2 weeks ago for a '12 tech and includes protection package which includes wheel locks, mud guards, & trunk mat. After tax was $33,600 here in SoCal.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With 0.9% financing, it would be a little crazy not to take that and put the rest into a 36 month CD or other guaranteed investment, which will almost certainly end up earning you a profit over the term of the loan (or shorter), allowing you to pay off the loan when the investment matures and pocket some cash.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by animes2k
With 0.9% financing, it would be a little crazy not to take that and put the rest into a 36 month CD or other guaranteed investment, which will almost certainly end up earning you a profit over the term of the loan (or shorter), allowing you to pay off the loan when the investment matures and pocket some cash.
Exactly what I was thinking when I did the 60 months 0.9% finance but the interest rate currently is like 0.75% from my bank
Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Instructor

That never really works for the average consumer. Yes, interest rates are low, but lenders will always make more than savers. It's the name of the game. If you want to play the "borrow money to make money" game, you need to go to investments with some risks and not to the no risk CDs, etc.. That's how banks get rich off your no risk CD money with the current low interest rates (which are lower than credit interest rates as the above poster pointed out....)
Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That never really works for the average consumer. Yes, interest rates are low, but lenders will always make more than savers. It's the name of the game. If you want to play the "borrow money to make money" game, you need to go to investments with some risks and not to the no risk CDs, etc.. That's how banks get rich off your no risk CD money with the current low interest rates (which are lower than credit interest rates as the above poster pointed out....)

According to bankrate.com you can get 5 year CDs (same as the 0.9%/60mo financing offer) as high as 1.8%... But yes, you can see better rates with more risky investments. Even so, that's ~$1300 profit.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Instructor

$1300 over 5 years is too little profit for me to tie up money in a CD for that amount of time. I feel more comfortable having no debt, and putting any additional money I would have used toward monthly payments into my own investments that would have a higher yield.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrlogan13
$1300 over 5 years is too little profit for me to tie up money in a cd for that amount of time. I feel more comfortable having no debt, and putting any additional money i would have used toward monthly payments into my own investments that would have a higher yield.
+1
Old 01-04-2013, 08:00 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by chris14031
Hey guys! I have been looking at cars for almost a year now (I'm crazy lol) and I think I have decided on a TSX sportwagon. I have driven one and love it, and my current car (05 Maxima) is beginning to die on me. I'm located in Buffalo, NY and there is only one Acura dealership in the area. The dealership currently has many 2013 TSX models, but the only sportwagons it has are all 2012 models, all base with $32,xxx msrp. The colors available are red, black, and grey. I read in the forums that these sportwagons are quite rare but I do not think that is the case in Buffalo since the red sportwagon has the same stock number as the one I test drove all the way back in March! And I have been looking at the current inventory on the dealer's website for awhile and the black and red ones must have been there since February or March while the grey model has been on the dealer's website since June at the latest. I went by the dealership today to check them out and they were all there, so I know the stock is up to date.

Anyways, I have decided upon numerous comparisons and test driving 20+ automobiles that this is the car(or wagon) I want!!It seems by reading these forums that it's a great car and recommended by many, so I was wondering about discounts that may be associated with the purchase.

They are all 2012 models, so as of today it is last year's model. They also have three left to sell, and they haven't been going fast. Can I use these to my advantages? I would be paying cash for the car and probably not trading in my other car. I've visited multiple websites and they all haven given my scattered information about what people around the country have paid and what I should pay.

So in conclusion, I'd love to hear what you Acura experts have to say about any discounts I may be able to get! Thanks and I hope to be a part of the TSX family soon!-Chris
By the way, is there any difference between 2012 & 2013? $500 more with no ACURA sticker, that's all?!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward1
By the way, is there any difference between 2012 & 2013? $500 more with no ACURA sticker, that's all?!
As far as I can tell you now get a different (better?) red color and black is now an option.

Taupe interior is now replaced with Graystone. Hope the mats/carpet are still black.

Didn't much care for the "quartz" gray interior on our old '07 TSX.

I'll state it again, but wish this wagon had 30% more power, a tan interior option, AWD and a 6 speed AT. Oh wait, that's why we have a 2013 RDX in the garage...

(I still want a wagon)