2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/04/2...ced-at-24-145/

I just read it this morning... I gotta admit, for a base SE starting at $24,145 MSRP , that is a lot of car for the money. If they released this when I was car shopping, I would've probably gotten the Sonata Turbo instead.

Here are the main features:
2.0L Turbo GDI-4 Cylinder producing 274hp, 269lb torque on 87 gas
22mpg city, 33mpg highway
6-speed automatic with paddle shifters
18 inch alloy wheels w/ performance tires
Sport tuned suspension and steering
Proximity entry with push button start
Dual climate controls
Fog lights
And lots more...

Even as recent as 3 years ago, I would've never considered a Hyundai. Now you can't ignore how much they've gotten better.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You get more chics with an Acura

The shape reminds me of a Camry.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
That is certainly most bang for the dollar. $24K 6sp auto tranny and 274hp, Honda and Acura should be worried.

My local Acura dealer has a Hyundai dealer next door to them, the Hyundai dealer has a lot more traffic (but they do have a larger selection of vehicles from Accent to Genesis).
Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by risc
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/04/2...ced-at-24-145/

I just read it this morning... I gotta admit, for a base SE starting at $24,145 MSRP , that is a lot of car for the money. If they released this when I was car shopping, I would've probably gotten the Sonata Turbo instead.

Here are the main features:
2.0L Turbo GDI-4 Cylinder producing 274hp, 269lb torque on 87 gas
22mpg city, 33mpg highway
6-speed automatic with paddle shifters
18 inch alloy wheels w/ performance tires
Sport tuned suspension and steering
Proximity entry with push button start
Dual climate controls
Fog lights
And lots more...

Even as recent as 3 years ago, I would've never considered a Hyundai. Now you can't ignore how much they've gotten better.
Thanks for the link. I'm pretty sure this is my next car, and hopefully by next spring the "gotta have it now" crowd will be satisfied and I won't have to pay list price.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Instructor

I will never own another turbo vehicle. That's why I avoided everything with the Audi/VW 2.0t engine in it. They don't last, and require a different driving style than what I do.
It'll also have the same useless Wheel mounted paddles we have.

We need them mounted to the column, not the wheel!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
That is certainly most bang for the dollar. $24K 6sp auto tranny and 274hp, Honda and Acura should be worried.

My local Acura dealer has a Hyundai dealer next door to them, the Hyundai dealer has a lot more traffic (but they do have a larger selection of vehicles from Accent to Genesis).
Of course they have more traffic, duh? Hyundai has vehicles under 20k bucks they sell. The cheaper the cars, the more people who can afford them thus = higher traffic!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fallacy
I will never own another turbo vehicle. That's why I avoided everything with the Audi/VW 2.0t engine in it. They don't last, and require a different driving style than what I do.

Well, Hyundai has the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty in case something goes wrong with the turbo. Also, I actually prefer wheel-mounted paddles, but that comes down to taste.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who just dumped the 2011 Sonata non-turbo to buy a TSX, don't get too excited yet.

While the Hyundai is more attractive due to toys and price, the Acura is a much better car if you care about things like ride quality and comfortable seats.

I should probably due a full comparison on here for those who are interested.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I feel they are priced for "you get what you pay for." my friend just got a base 2010 genisis coupe. While it puts up pretty good numbers, the interior and features were lacking. Just my two cents.

EDIT: they need to make the sonata turbo in a 6-speed M/T

Last edited by magicfan3; 10-05-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by magicfan3
I feel they are priced for "you get what you pay for." my friend just got a base 2010 genisis coupe. While it puts up pretty good numbers, the interior and features were lacking. Just my two cents.

EDIT: they need to make the sonata turbo in a 6-speed M/T
Actually, you get a crap load of great stuff for the price. However, they try to skimp in less obvious ways to the average driver to make up for the bells and whistles.

I've heard people describe the TSX's lack of smoothness of ride and road noise as too much for them. If you feel that way, you'll keel over after being in one of these Sonatas.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by shabadoo25
As someone who just dumped the 2011 Sonata non-turbo to buy a TSX, don't get too excited yet.

While the Hyundai is more attractive due to toys and price, the Acura is a much better car if you care about things like ride quality and comfortable seats.

I should probably due a full comparison on here for those who are interested.
you shuold!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Hmm.... well considering I got my tsx brand new for the base price of the sonata turbo, I'm happy with my decision haha.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I can't disagree with much of what's been said here, but I do take issue with a couple of things. The turbo thing may be matter of experience or just taste, but I am on the opposite side of that comment. I've owned a number of turbo engines (all the way back to the Buick Grand National V-6 to a couple of versions of the Audi 4 cylinder and the S4 V-6, along with the WRX motor) and I found them all pretty useful. Aside from the mileage penalty (my only real complaint; they're thirsty if you use the loud pedal too hard and too often), I'm a fan and wouldn't mind having another one. As far as the Sonata being less refined than a TSX, well...... duh. More than ever, when it comes to cars, you get what you pay for. But Hyundai has an advantage in that their economy is US dollar based, so they're less vulnerable to currency swings than some others (hello Honda, Infiniti, etc.) and have a more level playing field on which to compete. So...., in my opinion, for a daily driver (use it up and replace it), the Turbo Sonata looks entertaining.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't seriously consider Hyundai with my latest car purchase (2010 Acura TSX tech/5AT), but I definitely will with my next purchase, which may be in another 5-7 years. You cannot deny the amazing trajectory in the quality and perception of Hyundai products over the last several years. Is any other car manufacturer improving as quickly as Hyundai? I don't think so. Hyundai styling, while also quickly improving, is not my particular cup of tea for either the Genesis or Sonata, but it's interesting/unique and may improve enough with the next generation for my next car purchase.

You could argue that Acura with its latest offerings (TSX, TL) is at best treading water or even declining in perception and quality. Many comments from Acura TSX owners on this site reflect disappointment with Acura and how the brand is not keeping up with its competitors in terms of value and features (lack of push-button start ignition, lack of performance with inline 4 cylinder engine, numb steering feel, poor resolution navigation system, brake issues, etc).

That being said, I'm enjoying/loving my two-week old TSX - sharp lines, great ride, fun to drive, reliability, value (great feature:price ratio), fuel economy, and exclusivity (you rarely see them even in import-friendly San Francisco where the standard car seems to be a 3-series BMW).

And the complaints from TSX owners seem to be mostly preferences and annoyances (memory positions don't include side mirrors, both side mirrors don't tilt downward in reverse, side mirrors don't electrically retract, passenger seat heating does not include seat back, no rear seat vents, paddle shifters on wheel rather than steering column) rather than serious quality/safety/reliability issues for other brands (Lexus/Toyota, VW/Audi, for example).
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hyundai has certainly come a long way, but I'm not on board just yet, for several reasons.

Their growth rate makes me slightly nervous with respect to quality. You see what happened with Toyota recently - they got greedy, wanted to be #1, and their rapid growth came at the expense of the quality vehicles they had become known for.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Hyundai has certainly come a long way, but I'm not on board just yet, for several reasons.

Their growth rate makes me slightly nervous with respect to quality. You see what happened with Toyota recently - they got greedy, wanted to be #1, and their rapid growth came at the expense of the quality vehicles they had become known for.
First of all, congrats on your new RDX, noticed on your signature that you finally has possession of it. Are you missing your TSX??

Toyota recent problem is a cautionary tale for all car manufacturers.

Hyundai is a relative new car company, they have really transformed themselves in the past decade. Their headquarter in Korea boast a Central Command Centre operating 24/7 that will made even NASA blushed.

A good example of their dedication to quality and nimbleness is the recent NHTSA new crash test results. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has unveiled a new, enhanced five-star safety rating system for new vehicles. The new system will include side pole crash testing and crash prevention technologies, and will use female crash test dummies alongside those that simulate males in crashes.

The 2011 Sonata received a 4 star rating under the new system. Normally a car manufacturer will wait till the next model year (MY 2012) to incorporate structural changes. Hyundai engineers in Korea worked on the solution, incorporate the changes in the production line in Alabama and the retest of the redesigned 2011 Sonata received the highest rating of 5 Stars from NHTSA. Find me a car manufacturer that can make structural change on a first year production model within 6 months of launch, I was impressed.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 PM
VTX
Advanced

I wouldn't want the Sonanta because the Acura handles so much better and has much better driving dynamics. I mean, I never knew it before cause i never had a TSX before, but compared to 95% of the 4 door sedans out there, the TSX and the TL handle like "it's on rails". I drove my mom's Camry SE for the first time after having my TSX for a while, and it felt like a wobbly boat! In fact, just about every other sedan I drive now feels like a floaty Buick Park Avenue compared to the Acura line up. But Hyundais have a very modern Navi system with nice high resolution touch screens.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vtx
i wouldn't want the sonanta because the acura handles so much better and has much better driving dynamics. I mean, i never knew it before cause i never had a tsx before, but compared to 95% of the 4 door sedans out there, the tsx and the tl handle like "it's on rails". I drove my mom's camry se for the first time after having my tsx for a while, and it felt like a wobbly boat! In fact, just about every other sedan i drive now feels like a floaty buick park avenue compared to the acura line up. But hyundais have a very modern navi system with nice high resolution touch screens.
+1
Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by fallacy

Never had any problems with the turbo vehicles we have owned-most of them had over 100,000 miles and a few had over 200,000 miles. never had to replace the turbo.
Vehicles we owned with turbo: 1980 Mercedes turbo-diesel, 1983 Mitsubishi turbo-diesel truck, 1985 volvo turbo-diesel, 1991 Mazda Mx-6 GT and a 1998 Eagle talon TSI-AWD. The mercedes and volvo had automatic and the rest had manual.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:58 AM
it's a car-drive it

I think the same thing happened to honda-their quality has gone down also.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 09TSXTech
First of all, congrats on your new RDX, noticed on your signature that you finally has possession of it. Are you missing your TSX??

Toyota recent problem is a cautionary tale for all car manufacturers.

Hyundai is a relative new car company, they have really transformed themselves in the past decade. Their headquarter in Korea boast a Central Command Centre operating 24/7 that will made even NASA blushed.

A good example of their dedication to quality and nimbleness is the recent NHTSA new crash test results. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has unveiled a new, enhanced five-star safety rating system for new vehicles. The new system will include side pole crash testing and crash prevention technologies, and will use female crash test dummies alongside those that simulate males in crashes.

The 2011 Sonata received a 4 star rating under the new system. Normally a car manufacturer will wait till the next model year (MY 2012) to incorporate structural changes. Hyundai engineers in Korea worked on the solution, incorporate the changes in the production line in Alabama and the retest of the redesigned 2011 Sonata received the highest rating of 5 Stars from NHTSA. Find me a car manufacturer that can make structural change on a first year production model within 6 months of launch, I was impressed.
Thanks! It was 2 weeks old as of yesterday, and already just over 1000 miles on it. But yes, I do miss my TSX in some ways. Kind of wish I could have both. The nimbleness will be missed. The RDX's more weighted steering is very nice for highway driving, which I do a lot of now, but the TSX shines on back roads and tight spaces.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I think the same thing happened to honda-their quality has gone down also.
Yes, I hear that from various people. I have nothing to compare to, though, because my 04 TSX was my first Honda product, as well as the first Honda product in our family. We always had American cars, which really were no comparison, up until recently anyway. I'm now on my 2nd Honda product, the RDX, and my parents have an 08 Civic which they really like. I really don't have any complaints, but again, I only have recent experience with Honda/Acura.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 AM
it's a car-drive it

Yes, I hear that from various people. I have nothing to compare to, though, because my 04 TSX was my first Honda product, as well as the first Honda product in our family. We always had American cars, which really were no comparison, up until recently anyway. I'm now on my 2nd Honda product, the RDX, and my parents have an 08 Civic which they really like. I really don't have any complaints, but again, I only have recent experience with Honda/Acura.
I am going by personal experience. We were not happy with the 05 civic we owned. One annoying problem after another. Traded it for the tsx which has been excellent (knock-on-wood) The 05 elantra we owned was also problem free with over 100,000 miles and that was traded for the '11 sonata. My mom's 08 honda with less than 15,000 miles at the time had to have the transmission replaced due to a defect. When my mom bought the accord she gave my daughter her 98 accord. It now has over 100,000 miles and still running good. My daughter is not very good on keeping the car maintained.
Oh yes-how is your mom doing?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Burning Brakes

I would take the new Kia Optima Turbo over this any day of the week

Standard 18"Alloy wheels, Sunroof and heated seats is all awesome though!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Je t'aime...

I'm gonna be straight forward with my following statement, and sorry if it comes off a bit harsh.

You are a total idiot if you pick the Sonata SE Turbo over the TSX. Seriously, you turned down a Luxury Car brand, because the cheaper car had a faster engine? Features for less? Seriously... Heard of the quote, "You get what you pay for". This is exactly where it breaks down. Hyundai has price advantage, because they aren't a "luxury brand". Notice how there Genesis Sedan cost way less than the 5 Series, but who would really turn down a 5 series for a Genesis Sedan? I saw the Insideline video of the Sonata SE Turbo, and yes, it performs better than the TSX on the straight. What about handling? I would bet my M3 the handling is a joke compared to the TSX. For one, the Sonata SE Turbo is a mid-size. Quality might not be as good as Acura. You gotta say, if a company offers such a long warranty; you can expect they want to lore customers in, and/or they know something will happen to there cars.

Cars for Sonata's price I rather buy? A Civic SI. Why? Its just down right more fun to drive. I hope no one replies to me and says "The Sonata SE Turbo is funner to drive than the Civic SI", because I don't think anyone is that stupid to say that =).

Like many others! Its a Hyundai. Look pass it. I'm sorry, but TSX doesn't compete with the Sonata. TSX is an Entry Level Luxury Sedan. Sonata isn't. Sonata competes with the Accord, and Camry.

If you are in the market for a mid-size family sedan. One might consider the Sonata, but most people would go for the Accord/Camry. Just because "its a Hyundai".
Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura

I'm with you, the EX Turbo/SX Technology Package has everything the TSX Tech has and then some. I just wonder what the price point will be.

http://www.kia.com/#/2011optima?pageId=features
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-...drive/#3323402
http://www.leftlanenews.com/kia-opti...ve-review.html

It almost seems like they skimmed the forums and added whatever gaps people have said about the TSX before.
- Tip-tronic Shifter (can be used paddle shifters)
- Touch Screen Navigation
- Rear Air Vents (To be added in the 2011)
- Heated seats - Front & Back w/ heated backrests

I guess it maybe true that Hyundai/Kia have disguised where the vehicle is lacking in respect to its competitors (Refinement etc.) with all the features it bolsters, but it may be worth a look at.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Shift_Acura

I'm with you, the EX Turbo/SX Technology Package has everything the TSX Tech has and then some. I just wonder what the price point will be.

http://www.kia.com/#/2011optima?pageId=features
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-...drive/#3323402
http://www.leftlanenews.com/kia-opti...ve-review.html

It almost seems like they skimmed these forums and added whatever gaps people have mentioned about the TSX before.
- Tip-tronic Shifter (can be used paddle shifters)
- Touch Screen Navigation
- Rear Air Vents (To be added in the 2011)
- Heated seats - Front & Back w/ heated backrests

I guess it maybe true that Hyundai/Kia have disguised where the vehicle is lacking in respect to its competitors (Refinement etc.) with all the features it bolsters, but it may be worth a look at.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperCK
You get more chics with an Acura

The shape reminds me of a Camry.
lol this comment made me lol....uhm no.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
That is a Hyundai, this is Acura. The badge alone tells it all. I tossed around the thought of getting a Genesis Coupe for a bit before getting my TSX on Memorial Day Weekend. My girlfriend also had some influence on the decision, with saying that it's still a Hyundai....lol Again, no regrets with my second TSX in a row. That is still a Hyundai with a reputation of econo boxes. They have come a long way but at the end of the day you are still driving a Hyundai and that image will stick with them. Again, not to say that they may not have a nice product now. Just saying! Acura or Hyundai...hmmm Acura!
Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
BTW: forgot to mention, these are the best cars I've ever driven without going to a higher end car of course. Also, Acura Financial was wonderful to work with in regards to my lease turn in. Not a penny out of pocket and not a penny into my new TSX. When you are a loyal customer they know how to take care of you.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
no matter how good of a value it is ... a hyundai will always be a hyundai they dont compete at the same level as lexus/acura IMO
Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Sonata has the same engine as the Genesis coupe turbo, which is basically a Evo X engine that is slightly detuned with a smaller turbo.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by centflatsx
That is a Hyundai, this is Acura. The badge alone tells it all. I tossed around the thought of getting a Genesis Coupe for a bit before getting my TSX on Memorial Day Weekend. My girlfriend also had some influence on the decision, with saying that it's still a Hyundai....lol Again, no regrets with my second TSX in a row. That is still a Hyundai with a reputation of econo boxes. They have come a long way but at the end of the day you are still driving a Hyundai and that image will stick with them. Again, not to say that they may not have a nice product now. Just saying! Acura or Hyundai...hmmm Acura!
own both and have no regrets. Thinking of replacing my 06 tsx in June. If the sonata 6MT had more options I would be getting that. (IMO) I do not have to impress anyone with what I drive or own. Yes I can afford a lexus, bmw but do not want them. When driving the sonata we get lots of compliments. They seem to be very impressed with it.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Cruisin'

I'm sorry, but this "Acura TSX" you speak of is just a Honda Accord. Get over it. Its a rebadged family sedan. This is why Acura sells like 2k of these a month, when bmw and audi do at least triple that amount.

Acura/Honda is STILL using 5-Speed transmissions in their LUXURY car line, when BMW/AUDI have 8-speed units. The only Honda vehicles that are not using 5-speeds is the ZDX, MDX and Touring odyssey.

If I was in this market again, I would consider the sonata turbo, I would at least test drive it instead of just being snobby because its a hyundai. But I do understand the stigma attached to that nameplate. Regardless I like what hyundai is doing with their family cars. 274hp and 33mpg on the hwy? Impressive.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baltimorecaesar
I'm pretty sure the Sonata has the same engine as the Genesis coupe turbo, which is basically a Evo X engine that is slightly detuned with a smaller turbo.

Nope, only the alluminium block is the same. This one is a direct injection engine, pretty much more advanced than any Honda engine at the moment, unfortunately.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:03 AM
Intermediate

I can't believe that the Sonata has 45.5" of legroom. I sure could use that extra 3.1" over the TSX. My TSX isn't bad, but it's still a little tight at 6'6". The Sonata is the first car I have ever known of with more than 45".

Finally a manufacturer that's adding legroom to the front where I sit and not the back where nobody sits.